Thread: OT: Were the 94-95 repeat Rockets fluke champs?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default OT: Were the 94-95 repeat Rockets fluke champs?

Link

"There should be no doubt or label of fluke on our championships," said Hakeem Olajuwon. "As for Michael Jordan, a lot of people don't know and never looked up our matchups with Chicago during that time. If you check the records, you'll see that we beat them on a consistent basis when Michael was playing and winning his first three championships.

That made me think, what if Jordan didn't retire in 93? Would the Rockets have beaten the Bulls? Or better yet, would they have beaten the Pacers to even get that far?

Jesus Shuttlesworth

Default Re: OT: Were the 94-95 repeat Rockets fluke champs?

Quote Originally Posted by circlecitysportsfan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Link

That made me think, what if Jordan didn't retire in 93? Would the Rockets have beaten the Bulls? Or better yet, would they have beaten the Pacers to even get that far?
    I asked if you were circlecity on realgm because im the one who made your picture of reggie shooting on realgm.com. I think I said something to you on there about it.

woman without a team

Were the 94-95 repeat Rockets fluke champs?
    No.

Jesus Shuttlesworth

Were the 03-04 Detroit Pistons fluke champs?

Yes

No one is a fluke champion. They all win because they are better than everyone else that year. There's nothing else to it.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness
    No one is a fluke champion. They all win because they are better than everyone else that year. There's nothing else to it.
    Or because Ron Artest was suspended and a certain team had a lot of injuries, and that certain team happened to be the same one Ron Artest played for.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Shuttlesworth

Yes
    That statement is ridiculous. The Pistons that year beat the defending Eastern Conference Champs(New Jersey). They had to defeat a 60+ win team in the Eastern Conference Finals(Pacers). All they had to do in the finals was beat a Lakers team with four future hall of famers in the starting lineup that had just beaten the Spurs 4 straight to close out the previous series.

Quote Originally Posted by dipperdunk
    That statement is ridiculous. The Pistons that year beat the defending Eastern Conference Champs(New Jersey). They had to defeat a 60+ win team in the Eastern Conference Finals(Pacers). All they had to do in the finals was beat a Lakers team with four future hall of famers in the starting lineup that had just beaten the Spurs 4 straight to close out the previous series.
    They could have swept their way through the playoffs and he still would have called them fluke champions.

Quote Originally Posted by dipperdunk
    Actually it was 3 future hall of famers, Malone, a big part of their team, went down with an injury.

Then before that there was the Pacers, who manhandled them all year, then Jermaine gets hurt, Artest had a broken thumb, and Tinsley got hurt. So our 2 best players, and 5th best player were banged up.
    Sorry, I didn't know advertising was illegal here. Someone call the cops!

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness

Just what I was going to post.

The best team doesn't always win the NBA championship, but bad teams never do.

You have to be better than the team you are playing 4 games out of seven, four times in a row. Consequently no NBA champion could be a fluke champion.

Detroit earned it's championship last year and it doen't matter what anyone says, they have the trophy.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Shuttlesworth

Yes

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You know who calls others "fluke champions" the most?

The ones that weren't good enough to win it.

It's the very epitome of being a sore loser. When people can't just be a MEN and congratulate the other team with some class and character, they become a petualnt little children, out of their own bitterness. There is no such thing as a "fluke" NBA Champion. Its pathetic to even assume so.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

I've been hearing alot of people saying lately that that Houston team could beat this SA team. So, I wouldn't say they were flukes. No team that wins back-to-back is a fluke (which is why I thank my lucky stars Detroit fell short last night. ) I would say, all things considered, Houston was pretty weak, especially that '94 team pre-Glide.

I think a big problem is people remember the Toronto-Hakeem better than they do when Hakeem in his prime. Hakeem was the one guy who could have his way with Shaq every single night, and he continued to do it well past his prime, right up through his last year in Houston, IIRC.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

I'm sure no one cares. But Hakeem is my favorite center of all time. (next to Jeff Foster of course) Weren't there some rumors like in 1992 or 1993 that the Pacers might be able to trade for Hakeem. I think it was during his health issues, with blood clots. Hakeem is my ideal center

There are several teams each season that are capable to win a championship. In order to win it, you have to catch some breaks, stay healthy, make plays down the stretch in do or die situations.....and well, you need a little luck.

Hakeem in 1994 and 1995 at the age of 31 and 32 was spectacular. That 1995 Houston team was garbage all season long, ended up with a 6 seed. They came alive after the Drexler trade and rode that momentum into the playoffs. No Drexler equals a first round exit.

After DOMINATING MVP David Robinson, Hakeem had his way with the young Shaquille O'Neal, averaging 31 or so points in the series. Shaq wasn't so shabby, and averaged about 27 or 28 himself I believe. But the Magic were SWEPT, so it didn't really matter. I would bet ANY AMOUNT OF MONEY that the 1995 Pacers wouldn't have been swept by Houston. The Pacers would have given them a hell of a series.

I'm just not a believer in that the team that wins it is the flatout "Best" team. I think there are about 3 or 4 teams every year that are pretty dead even, it just comes down to who can catch some breaks, stay healthy, keep momentum all season long, and make clutch plays down the stretch in huge games.

I'd classify Det and SA as dead even basketball teams. San Antonio just made the right plays down the stretch last night, and in game 5. As it's been said on here, game 5 was the turning point.

UB, I didn't know there was an Hakeem rumor in 92 or 93. I'd love to hear more about it. I've heard Peck talk about a possible Barkley trade in about 1992.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen

You have to be better than the team you are playing 4 games out of seven, four times in a row. Consequently no NBA champion could be a fluke champion.

Detroit earned it's championship last year and it doen't matter what anyone says, they have the trophy.
    Exactly - the seven game series gives a much more reliable way of having the best team win it all. no flukes, IMO.
    "If you ever crawl inside an old hollow log and go to sleep, and while you're in there some guys come and seal up both ends and then put it on a truck and take it to another city, boy, I don't know what to tell you." - Jack Handy

In '92, Hakeem wanted a new contract, which the Rockets refused to even discuss. Shortly after that, they accused him of faking an injury which he claimed was legit. The Rockets then suspended him and he became furious and requested a trade. People thought the two sides couldn't work it out and he was all but gone. There were rumors involving half the teams in the league. Wouldn't surprise me if Indy was one of them.