Thread: Fred Hoiberg health problems

Hybrid View

Default Fred Hoiberg health problems

This blurb from the Ben Maller.com website.

Hope all goes well for Freddie.

The surgery, to replace some lining in Hoiberg's aortic vessel, is considered serious, and it's unknown how much of next season the shooting guard will miss, or whether he'll miss the entire season. The aorta is the main vessel from the heart. The concern in Hoiberg's case is that the aortic lining is expanding and might tear if not artificially replaced. The surgery is a precautionary measure. The Timberwolves have known about Hoiberg's condition since a postseason examination and encouraged him to seek medical attention. The surgeon who will perform the surgery is considered among the elite in the country and performed heart bypass surgery on Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor six years ago. Taylor recommended the surgeon to Hoiberg.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Fred Hoiberg health problems

That sucks. Hopefully the Mayor will have a speedy recovery.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sounds like they found an Aortic Anyerism before it happend...lucky Fred. Buddy of mine had one and was dead in a matter of seconds.

Hope all goes well with Freddie.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sounds like they found an Aortic Anyerism before it happend...lucky Fred. Buddy of mine had one and was dead in a matter of seconds.

Hope all goes well with Freddie.
    Same thing happened to my brother's fiancee. Aortic anyeurism and she was dead at 33 and left two small children. She died so quickly they didn't even know what happened to her until after. The good thing for Fred though is that it's treatable. There is an amazing variety of high quality medical practices associated with these kinds of problems.

Default Former Pacer Fred Hoiberg to have Heart Surgery

http://sports.excite.com/news/06252005/v0629.html

Reports: Hoiberg to Have Heart Surgery Next Week
    Jun 25, 12:28 AM (ET)

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - Minnesota Timberwolves guard Fred Hoiberg said he will have heart surgery Tuesday at the Mayo Clinic to correct an enlarged aortic root.
    Hoiberg told reporters with the Minneapolis Star Tribune and the St. Paul Pioneer Press on Friday that he should be able to play again, but he will consider retiring if the condition is life threatening.

"My world has been turned upside down," Hoiberg said. "That's when priorities get set."

Hoiberg has a wife and four children.

The technical diagnosis is an aortic root aneurysm. That means there is a bulge in the root, where the artery meets the heart's aortic valve. The size of the bulge has grown since January, when he first got hints that there was a problem.

The 32-year-old played the entire 2004-05 season with the condition.

"Had I taken a significant blow to that area, it could have caused a rupture," Hoiberg said.

"I think back to last year, how disappointing it was for us not to make the playoffs. But for me personally, it probably was a blessing we didn't make the playoffs."

Hoiberg said he has been told a full recovery is expected. He said he is confident he can play three or four more years if everything heals correctly.

He said recovery could take three months.

Hoiberg was drafted by the Indiana Pacers in 1995. He joined the Timberwolves as a free agent in 2003.
    ----------

How come I can't delete this? A time limit?

I just found a prior Hoilberg thread and was going to delete this one and then copy my post to it.

If a mod would merge the threads, please!