Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Georges Niang waived

Undefeated

Default Re: Georges Niang waived

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thad is a good player. The main reason why people in this forum are talking about trading him is because we need to give all the minutes we can to our young PFs. Plus, Thad actually has trade value unlike Monta and Al.
    I could see us keeping him until the trade deadline. Give our young players some time to gel and train.
    Danger Zone

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Any word if we used the stretch provision? I'm really hoping we don't.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Wage For This Useful Post:

I think every move is official now. Sumner is just on a two way and I feel like Ben Moore will be on one as well, but I still would really like to get Poythress back.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Rogco View Post
    I could see us keeping him until the trade deadline. Give our young players some time to gel and train.
    Yeah, that's perfectly reasonable as well. Thad's trade value is probably going to be a bit higher at the trade deadline as well. We may even get a late 1st for him.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    Empty vessels make the most noise.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    Yeah, that's perfectly reasonable as well. Thad's trade value is probably going to be a bit higher at the trade deadline as well. We may even get a late 1st for him.
    That's how I feel. There's really no immediate rush to trade Young. I feel the same way about Jefferson. We would be trading them for sake of trading them. I understand that some people want to "give all the minutes to the young players", but I treat that as code for tanking.

Contrary to popular belief, you still can play for a winning season while still giving the young players adequate playing time.

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    That's how I feel. There's really no immediate rush to trade Young. I feel the same way about Jefferson. We would be trading them for sake of trading them. I understand that some people want to "give all the minutes to the young players", but I treat that as code for tanking.

Contrary to popular belief, you still can play for a winning season while still giving the young players adequate playing time.
    Tanking for me is losing games intentionally. It isn't really related to playing younger players. You can easily lose games intentionally by playing bad vets.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    Empty vessels make the most noise.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wage View Post
    Any word if we used the stretch provision? I'm really hoping we don't.
    I don't expect it to be announced, so we'll need to wait for the salary sites to confirm, BUT... I don't see how we could have executed the announced moves (signing DC, Bojan, and acquiring CoJo) without stretching Monta's salary. Think of it as the price of acquiring CoJo if that makes you feel better. Works for me at least.

I agree on Thad. While we have a logjam at PF, the truth is we don't know if any of them are good. We know Thad is a good player. So let him play until Leaf/Sabonis prove they deserve more minutes, then trade him.

Al Jefferson, though? Nah. Myles is the C and we have Seraphin to back him up, plus Ike. The guy was out of shape last year, not exactly the best example for a young team. I'm pretty sure the Pacers would trade him if they could.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 3rdStrike For This Useful Post:

sav

The main reason I would keep Thad is because he's a good team mate. He will help build the right culture in Indiana that will help us attract better talent.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    The main reason I would keep Thad is because he's a good team mate. He will help build the right culture in Indiana that will help us attract better talent.
    I keep seeing people say this but I'm not sure why. What makes everyone believe he's a good teammate? He's played on a lot bad losing teams throughout the years so what culture is he helping to build... a losing one? How do we even know he still wants to play for Indiana?

If they can trade Thad in an uneven trade for a younger PF prospect or to free up more space to sign a guy like Willie Reed, they should probably do that. I'd much rather find out what we have in Sabonis than have Thad taking away development minutes from him.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would think it would be pretty hard to find a team that could trade for Thad's salary. Few teams have significant cap space available. So we'd probably have to bring back nearly equal salary. And we don't really need any more rotation players.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Georges seems like a nice guy. When I looked at his game after we picked him, he just seemed to me like he was unlikely to achieve anything beyond a marginal rotational player, which for where he was drafted I was okay with, but he just never interested me very much. He's just too small and too slow to fit at either forward spot very well at this level.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Undefeated

Like when Vogel took over for "he who shall not be named."
    Danger Zone

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    Sunk cost. The pick was wasted when we took him. He's way too slow to be an NBA player.
    I noticed that, too, about him each time I watched him play even in garbage time. He just didn't appear to be very quick on his feet nor efficient in his shot attempts. Wasted pick...only if you consider being selected at #50 a worthwhile pick.

Waiving Niang was a drop in the bucket...$100K. Peanutes compared to Monta Ellis' salary...$11.2 over 5 years (thru 2022...Ouch!)

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    I keep seeing people say this but I'm not sure why. What makes everyone believe he's a good teammate? He's played on a lot bad losing teams throughout the years so what culture is he helping to build... a losing one? How do we even know he still wants to play for Indiana?

If they can trade Thad in an uneven trade for a younger PF prospect or to free up more space to sign a guy like Willie Reed, they should probably do that. I'd much rather find out what we have in Sabonis than have Thad taking away development minutes from him.

For me, and maybe others, it's got a lot to do with his youth camps and things. He seems like a really good guy and mentor to a number of kids (some of whom have now made it into the NBA as well). There's been consistent talk about trading him, to which his wife has replied emotionally on twitter, so it would seem they really like it here as well. Also, on court, he's a hard worker, willing to play whatever role he's asked, and he seems to be engaged as a teammate. He's also a gym rat, which a couple of our guys need *cough*TJ LEAF*cough* lol.

Keeping an eye on twitter also gave me a better impression of CJ Miles and his relationships with other teammates and the Pacers. His wife was practically ugly crying on twitter about leaving Indy, lol. Anytime you see the more personal side of trades and trade talk, it tends to soften people's opinions (not everyone's) about the person being traded.

At this point, I think PD is practically in agreement that Thad is a good guy to keep around, but the franchise is probably best served to trade him for future assets, even if we like him personally. Waiting until the trade deadline is most likely the best option, because he can be a positive role model for our young guys, and we may find a contender or fringe-contender that's willing to slightly overpay for his services. Also, having been a good teammate and role model, I hope we find him a contending team for his sake, and not ship him to some dumpster fire like we did Granger.
    Last edited by pizza guy; 07-17-2017 at 04:38 PM.
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Even though Niang was picked at the end of the second round, the GM's job is to find value late in the draft. The fact that Niang was waved after one season shows that Bird made another error in last year's draft. Bird sucked the past few years, and he doesn't get a pass on Niang
    Being unable to close out a game in which you have a comfortable lead in the 4th Q = Pulling a Frank Vogel

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    Even though Niang was picked at the end of the second round, the GM's job is to find value late in the draft. The fact that Niang was waved after one season shows that Bird made another error in last year's draft. Bird sucked the past few years, and he doesn't get a pass on Niang
    He was the last pick. You're really going to hold Bird accountable for a 50th pick??? Wow... that's a stretch, and it's being petty.
    Last edited by ksuttonjr76; 07-17-2017 at 10:38 AM.

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    What percent of players picked at his spot have succeeded in the league? Your point would have been better stated by saying you just needed something to gripe about Bird over.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    For me, and maybe others, it's got a lot to do with his youth camps and things. He seems like a really good guy and mentor to a number of kids (some of whom have now made it into the NBA as well). There's been consistent talk about trading him, to which his wife has replied emotionally on twitter, so it would seem they really like it here as well. Also, on court, he's a hard worker, willing to play whatever role he's asked, and he seems to be engaged as a teammate. He's also a gym rat, which a couple of our guys need *cough*TJ LEAF*cough* lol.

Keeping an eye on twitter also gave me a better impression of CJ Miles and his relationships with other teammates and the Pacers. His wife was practically ugly crying on twitter about leaving Indy, lol. Anytime you see the more personal side of trades and trade talk, it tends to soften people's opinions (not everyone's) about the person being traded.

At this point, I think PD is practically in agreement that Thad is a good guy to keep around, but the franchise is probably best served to trade him for future assets, even if we like him personally. Waiting until the trade deadline is most likely the best option, because he can be a positive role model for our young guys, and we may find a contender or fringe-contender that's willing to slightly overpay for his services. Also, having been a good teammate and role model, I hope we find him a contending him for his sake, and not ship him to some dumpster fire like we did Granger.
    Thanks. I wasn't aware of those things but after hearing that, I get it now.

Personally I like Thad and I'm fine with keeping him but I really want to see Sabonis play as much as possible this season so we know what we have in him.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Thanks. I wasn't aware of those things but after hearing that, I get it now.

Personally I like Thad and I'm fine with keeping him but I really want to see Sabonis play as much as possible this season so we know what we have in him.

Let's say he and Thad more or less split minutes or otherwise are the primary sharers of the PF spot. I think Sabonis also has potential to get some minutes behind Myles at the 5.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

35. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post: