Thread: Do the Pacers scare anybody?

Mood

Default Do the Pacers scare anybody?

Some talk in other threads got me thinking on this: Does anyone in the NBA really fear the Indiana Pacers?

I don't think they do. I think this year's playoffs if the chance for Indy to MAKE people be afraid of them, however I just don't sense it.

We as fans get nervous about potential upset-teams, but that's understandable as this is the NBA and teams can do that. Just ask Seattle or Miami.

I think because we don't have a superstar that's "scary good", we don't strike fear in any team (not to say any team TRULY scares anyone, but you get my point; no one's nervous about playing us).

What do you all think? I'm not asking who SHOULD be afraid of us, just who you think might be?

I know NJ isn't. Detroit maaaaaaaaaaaaaybe a tiny bit. The West teams? Maybe Minnesota and San Antonio, but not much.

I think we're just gonna have to earn the respect/"fear" we just may deserve. Really, I'm not even sure if I think we've earned it yet, let alone other NBA teams.

This year's playoffs, to say the least, should be huge.

Either we get upset early, and are written off in a big way until things change, or we take care of business, get to the 2nd round, and from there the farther we go and the faster we get there, the more respect/"fear" we will earn from the league.

In a way I feel this year's post season will shape our future for the next handful or so.

Default Re: Do the Pacers scare anybody?

I think there are plenty of teams that fear us. We're deeper than most, have one if not two of the best interior players, we have one of the best defensive players in the league that can also create for himself or others. We also have one of the best clutch, playoff shooters in the game. Plus he's healthy.

You have one of the best X' and O's coaches in the league. Someone who knows how to make adjustments and has been here before as well as a deep team that you are able to make adjustments with.

You also have a team that has been knocked out in the first round for the last three seasons. Are you going to tell me that they're not going to be ready to prove all of their critics wrong?

The only thing that could be of any concern is playing an 8th seed REGARDLESS of who it is. 8th seed teams have nothing to lose which makes a team play very hard. What I think will help us is our maturity, the way that we've been able to keep composure during games. That's why I like our chances.

I think the only player who truly scares other players is Shaq and rightfully so.

[size=18:04edf93dd3]Let me make this clear, I believe that the Pacers are the best team in the east and I expect them to make to the Finals and if they play any team in the finals except a fully healthy Laker team, I think the Pacers have a great chance to win it all. [/size]

Maybe I should make that my tagline.

However I take nothing for granted, not the very first game of the first series against the 8th seed, in fact that game is going to be huge, and furthermore I respect every team in the NBA especially any team that is in the playoffs.

Mood

However I take nothing for granted, not the very first game of the first series against the 8th seed, in fact that game is going to be huge, and furthermore I respect every team in the NBA especially any team that is in the playoffs.
    Well put. Too many are confusing your "worry posts", and others with similar thoughts, with not being fans or not believing in the team. That's not true. It's showing respect for the other teams and taking nothing for granted.

Well put. Too many are confusing your "worry posts", and others with similar thoughts, with not being fans or not believing in the team. That's not true. It's showing respect for the other teams and taking nothing for granted.

No, you're wrong. I think some are confusing the almost constant negativity on this board concerning the Pacers with the ones who do believe or have faith.

No, I'm certain that we don't want to, as you so eliquently put it, "turn this into the Homerdigest" Although it would be nice to see some fans being a little bit more supportive.

If you were to look at the response of the "negative" postings here compared to the number and responses to the "positive" ones, one would be amazed.

And when I say negative I'm speaking of the posts after a game that we won, stating how we were bad at this or could have done that better instead of how we pulled the game off, how we got the win.

Sometimes it's hard to tell if it's respect for another team or the fear of yet another let down. UB wasn't the only one starting a thread on a team that he had feared.

I think the point that New Yawk was trying to make is that the Pacers, this year should fear NO ONE therefore the fans, being 100% behind there team shouldn't either.

Loved your original post on this thread, Hicks. I do believe this is the year we have to earn respect.

I also agree that there is no team in the league we can't compete with in a seven game series. But, I also believe there are no teams who will play in the playoffs who couldn't knock us off, if we took them for granted.

One of the attributes of this current team seems to be that they are staying focused and playing one game at a time. From the Pacers this year we have seen little trash talk and irrational exuberance, and I applaud that.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think the only player who truly scares other players is Shaq and rightfully so.
    Ditto. Therefore the only team that scares other teams is a team with a healthy Shaq.

It seems legit to me that no one's afraid of us. We've got to prove we can beat somebody in a seven-game series, first. Same for the T-Wolves. Nobody is really sure if the Spurs are going to be as good this season once the playoffs start - the roster is much different than last season and Duncan may not be 100%. And the only reason anybody would fear the Kings and Mavs is if they fear getting out of breath trying to chase them.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Ditto. Therefore the only team that scares other teams is a team with a healthy Shaq.
    Luckily Brad is out west to take care of Shaq for us......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

You know, I don't think any team fears us. But I don't think any team looks forward to playing us!
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

You know, I don't think any team fears us. But I don't think any team looks forward to playing us!
    Very succint and the perfect way to sum it up.

The only thing I'll add is that the lack of hype might be in Indiana's favor. When they feel disrespected and undervalued, the Pacers play harder. Being the underdog gives Carlisle something to motivate the team with each game.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Do the Pacers scare anybody?

Absolutely.

By looking at this board right now, apparently they scare a lot of their own fans.

Absolutely.

By looking at this board right now, apparently they scare a lot of their own fans.

Thank you

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Absolutely.

Now that's funny!

If the other teams spend their free time lurking on this board or solely watch ESPN - then no they don't. I think other teams are definitely leary of the Pacers, but I agree with others - the only player who truly puts 'fear' in opponents is Shaq and any team he is on.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

LOL @ bulletproof

As for Indy scaring anyone - I think you have to go back to the first post. There's a certain perception, at least among fans, around the league that Indy's been eliminated from the playoffs in the 1st rd three straight seasons and that they're a team that may very well tank in the playoffs again - sort of like George Karl's Seattle teams of the early 90's.

Now anyone who's actually followed the Pacers can see that this team is substantially different from last year's team. Where that team relied on athleticism to win (which can be negated in the playoffs with the way games are officiated) this team plays more of a tough, gritty, defensive-oriented style that makes them tough to beat. But most folks around the country don't follow them enough to know this.

I have no idea if the NBA coaches and players feel this way - I tend to doubt it - but I know a lot of fans on the Knick board I'm on do.

I happen to think they'll get an education.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Absolutely.

Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Absolutely.

I have to say, bulletproof, you crack me up......
    PSN: MRat731 XBL: MRat0731

I started a thread a clutch city (Rockets board- very knowledgeable fans there) asking if they thought the Pacers were legitimate title contenders.

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/showthread...threadid=74493

my exact post:

"Do you view the Pacers as a threat to win the NBA title?

As of this moment, they have the best record in the NBA. They are on track to win 61 games, and have a favorable schedule down the stretch, since they have more home games then road games to play, and have taken their toughest road trips. 62 or 63 wins seems a possibility.

Besides that, they have BY FAR the best winning percentage of all teams in the NBA in games AGAINST the western conference (18-6, 0.750). They have not relied solely upon feasting upon the weak sisters of the East.

Unlike any Eastern team in recent years, they may secure home court in the finals, should they get there. They are potentially the first Eastern Conference finals team in a while to have at their core a committment to tough defense and rebounding.

They have no top 5 player, but arguably Jermaine O'Neal is top 10, and Artest is probably top 20. They probably have the best depth in the league, with in essence a 6th starter in Al Harrington and a blend of youth and experience in Bender, Kenny Anderson, Anthony Johnson, Freddie Jones, etc.

Pacer fans feel they are being ignored, when outlets like ESPN erroniously state that the Kings have the best record in the league, and commentators like Legler say they wouldn't finish in the top 5 in the West, ignoring the fact that they are never blown out by any of the western elite teams, and in fact have a stellar record AGAINST these teams, both home and away.

What's your honest opinion? Especially if they secure home court advantage in the finals, would it surprise you to see the Pacers win an NBA championship?"

---
    somewhat to my surprise, only one guy has said "no Eastern team has any chance" and another said no because they have no player in the argument for best in the game, and no team since Detroit has won without the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd best in the league in his prime.

Most say the Pacers are a force.

This shows some respect, though certainly no fear (I think only the fully healthy Lakers can be feared)
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

I am 100% sure that there is not one coach/team/gm in the league that is hoping for a matchup with the Pacers BEFORE the NBA finals.

To even think differently is disregarding and disrespecting what the team has done this season, the depth of the bench and our two All Stars along with the "eminence Gris" of the SG's in the league.

Do we have to be "wary" of who and how we play, yes, will the P's tank the first round? I am almost sure with the mental state players like JO, Ron and Tins are in, they would even eat the Lakers alive in the first round.

We DO need to hope that no "complacency" sets in after we trashed whoever we meet in the first round. And YES a trashing it will be, the wills of the previsouly mentioned players will give you so much effort that if I were a GM/Coach I would (order) games lost to avoid the P's in the first round.

I kindly submit as evidence the Stats of last years unsuccesfull first round and in particular those of JO & Tins, please bare in mind while looking at those the improvement Ron went through, and the FACT that Reggie is healthy and stealthy and a m,ajor force to be reckoned with.

Trust me, Al, Jon, Jeff, Cro, Pollie and AJ are very capable seconds to those 4, but it is those 4 that will carry this team a very loooong way.

Heck I am planning a trip from the UK to the NBA Finals just to see the P's Playing and you "Misers" better make sure I can get "good" (preferably courtside ) tickets! (or i'll personally will hand out some *** whooping!)
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

I would guess most people here think the Pacers can beat anybody...

I also think alot of people here see that even though we're winning, ....they see our weaknesses and the teams that may best exploit those... so naturally one may feel a bit leary about playing a NO or a Cleveland....etc.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Pacertom, that's an excellent post. You should email Sean Deveaney, Chad Ford, Mark Stein, Stephen A. Smith, and any other journalist that covers the NBA on a regular basis. I know sportingnews.com has a "voice of the fan" column in which they post good articles written by fans.

Some positive publicity for the Pacers would be nice for a change. As long as it doesn't go to the players heads, that is.

I started a thread a clutch city (Rockets board- very knowledgeable fans there) asking if they thought the Pacers were legitimate title contenders.

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/showthread...threadid=74493

my exact post:

"Do you view the Pacers as a threat to win the NBA title?

As of this moment, they have the best record in the NBA. They are on track to win 61 games, and have a favorable schedule down the stretch, since they have more home games then road games to play, and have taken their toughest road trips. 62 or 63 wins seems a possibility.

Besides that, they have BY FAR the best winning percentage of all teams in the NBA in games AGAINST the western conference (18-6, 0.750). They have not relied solely upon feasting upon the weak sisters of the East.

Unlike any Eastern team in recent years, they may secure home court in the finals, should they get there. They are potentially the first Eastern Conference finals team in a while to have at their core a committment to tough defense and rebounding.

They have no top 5 player, but arguably Jermaine O'Neal is top 10, and Artest is probably top 20. They probably have the best depth in the league, with in essence a 6th starter in Al Harrington and a blend of youth and experience in Bender, Kenny Anderson, Anthony Johnson, Freddie Jones, etc.

Pacer fans feel they are being ignored, when outlets like ESPN erroniously state that the Kings have the best record in the league, and commentators like Legler say they wouldn't finish in the top 5 in the West, ignoring the fact that they are never blown out by any of the western elite teams, and in fact have a stellar record AGAINST these teams, both home and away.

What's your honest opinion? Especially if they secure home court advantage in the finals, would it surprise you to see the Pacers win an NBA championship?"

---
    somewhat to my surprise, only one guy has said "no Eastern team has any chance" and another said no because they have no player in the argument for best in the game, and no team since Detroit has won without the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd best in the league in his prime.

Most say the Pacers are a force.

This shows some respect, though certainly no fear (I think only the fully healthy Lakers can be feared)
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Tim

I don't think other teams fear the Pacers because the Pacers win games, they don't dominate games.

I think other teams fans don't appreciate that fact that our young guys are a year older, that winning a lot then total and complete collapse last season actually help the Pacers this season, and that JO is at Shaq's, Tim Duncans and KGs level now (He is, really).