Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't look now, but Pacers aren't all that bad

Default Re: Don't look now, but Pacers aren't all that bad

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You guys laugh about this, but you know that Nate, KP and a lot of the leadership of those Blazer teams got busted for ignoring a pretty scathing report from an independent research firm they hired to examine the gaits and running patterns of their players right?

Roy and Oden in particular were suggested by this group that they needed more rest to heal existing injuries and the study even suggested that Oden should sit out like an entire year to heal and fix his running gait and the Blazers ignored the report.
    Oden had a fragile body that just could not handle the stress. No amount of treatment was,going,to change his outcome. Roy's knees were done.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    That's the real problem though with judging attendance by tickets sold (although admittedly that really is the only way to do it). So many tickets are purchased by ticket brokers/scalpers that it automatically inflates the number of people buy tickets vs how many people actually bought tickets to go to the game. I assume this is typical of every team however I am not sure ticket brokers are legal everywhere?

Just like the Philly tickets, there is no real actual way that 68% of that arena was bought by people attending the game. I hate to keep referring to the article but a few years back a guy purchased an entire section, not just a row, in Philly for 28 cents per ticket off of stub hub. There was a photo of him sitting there by himself in the game. So in other words that entire section was bought at close to face value or maybe a season ticket discount by someone with the intention of reselling, man did they take a bath on that. But it still shows up as tickets sold.

Believe me I am old enough to remember the curtains at MSA, this area does not always offer strong support. However again I still say die hards are here and we are about 8-10k strong.
    Well, are you assuming that Indy is the only place with scalpers and the other things you mentioned?

I'm not commenting on the MSA days, downtown wasn't even a thing then.
    Last edited by freddielewis14; 07-17-2017 at 01:00 PM.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by I Love P View Post
    Ok I see, 2015 is what pops up but use that drop down button & click different years. Poor attendance. Anyone with an eye or two that works & goes to games on a regular basis can tell you the attendance fan support sucks. That's why you can be a season ticket holder for about $250 if you use stubhub/ticket master resale.
    Season tickets are that cheap???

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

Sports Logo

Also, doesn't the Pacers have the longest home winning streak in the NBA? I would think that helps sell tickets too. To the local fan, are you really wasting your time to go regardless of the overall record? You could be frustrated with the team, but it's nice to know that they're likely to win games. Also, if they lose at home, it'll probably be to a team with bigger stars that probably drew more people out of the shadows.

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    Season tickets are that cheap???
    If you purchase single game tix on stubhub/Ticketmaster resale for every game yes. "Unofficial season ticket holder."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

However here is where I will disagree with you while somewhat agreeing with you. We have a very horrible casual fan base. I am in agreement with you on that. As long as we are one of the top 3 teams in the Eastern conference we can attract a decent attendance, as long as IU has a mediocre season and the Colts are just OK. But whenever we have a mediocre or below season and the other activities in town are at a higher level our attendance is mediocre at best.

However while we have a horrible casual fan base, I believe we have an extraordinarily high die hard fan base. I believe the number is between 8-10 and those fans are there come hell or high water. So it would never get down to the 1-2 k number.
    This is 100% spot on. Which is why BLF crowd can be split 50/50 against certain teams but can also be completely electrifying in the playoffs.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I Love P View Post
    If you purchase single game tix on stubhub/Ticketmaster resale for every game yes. "Unofficial season ticket holder."
    Otherwise define as "living off of season ticket holders who pay the price for teams to be bad and therefore having no qualms about wanting the team to suck"
    BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This is 100% spot on. Which is why BLF crowd can be split 50/50 against certain teams but can also be completely electrifying in the playoffs.
    That 50/50 thing can happen anywhere. Kobe, a Laker, getting MVP chants in freaking Boston...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YsXPZVPIjxE

I get people thinking it only happens in Indy because that's what the media tells us.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by freddielewis14 View Post
    That 50/50 thing can happen anywhere. Kobe, a Laker, getting MVP chants in freaking Boston...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YsXPZVPIjxE

I get people thinking it only happens in Indy because that's what the media tells us.
    There's a bit of difference in a legend like Kobe getting MVP chants after a vintage performance and Bulls fans taking over 50% of BLF on a Tuesday.

But you're right, im sure it happens periodically elsewhere. Milwaukee tends to have Bull fans take over their arena as well.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    There's a bit of difference in a legend like Kobe getting MVP chants after a vintage performance and Bulls fans taking over 50% of BLF on a Tuesday.

But you're right, im sure it happens periodically elsewhere. Milwaukee tends to have Bull fans take over their arena as well.
    Well, the Bulls are a much bigger metro, plus you have the Region which creates an army of people willing to pay crazy prices for STHs tickets. That doesn't say anything about the fan base in Indy.

I would say it's far more embarrassing to have Boston getting invaded by perhaps the biggest rival in sports from the opposite side of the country.

The way the NBA markets, there are Warriors, Cavs, Bulls, Knicks fans in every arena during away games. When you give a crappy Knicks team WAY more exposure than a fun up and coming Bucks team this will happen.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:

Well, are you assuming that Indy is the only place with scalpers and the other things you mentioned?

I'm not commenting on the MSA days, downtown wasn't even a thing then.
    Hence why I said

I assume this is typical of every team however I am not sure ticket brokers are legal everywhere?
    Also what do you mean exactly by downtown wasn't a thing then? For that matter why does downtown really matter that much, do you believe most people that attend games are from the downtown area? Most people I know who attend either come in from the the outlying area or the suburbs. There are those of us though who attend games who are not even from the Indy metro area.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Hence why I said
    I saw that, but every city still has some type of resell market. So why would this matter when discussing % of arena sales?

Also what do you mean exactly by downtown wasn't a thing then? For that matter why does downtown really matter that much, do you believe most people that attend games are from the downtown area? Most people I know who attend either come in from the the outlying area or the suburbs. There are those of us though who attend games who are not even from the Indy metro area.
    The expansion downtown is a huge deal. More people living and working downtown gives you more nearby traffic. I mean, just look at the IUPUI expansion and housing over past 8 years. They have those college deals for a reason. I've lived and worked downtown for 10 years and it helps a great deal to sell tickets when the city isn't completely dead around the circle almost every day of the week.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

What evidence do we have that Nate is better at being firm with players than Frank other than some fluff PR pieces calling him Sarge?
    I don't know, but then again what evidence do we have that they were just fluff PR pieces?

I saw that, but every city still has some type of resell market. So why would this matter when discussing % of arena sales?

The expansion downtown is a huge deal. More people living and working downtown gives you more nearby traffic. I mean, just look at the IUPUI expansion and housing over past 8 years. They have those college deals for a reason. I've lived and worked downtown for 10 years and it helps a great deal to sell tickets when the city isn't completely dead around the circle almost every day of the week.
    Is that true? I have no idea. I know some places had made scalping illegal, however I'm not sure how a ticketmaster type of thing works.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Is that true? I have no idea. I know some places had made scalping illegal, however I'm not sure how a ticketmaster type of thing works.
    NBA sponsors a ticket exchange.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

A story Peck and I have told several times, but Paul George had the ball late against Dallas and the Mavs were threatening to make a run to close the gap, Nate tried to call something from the bench and Paul looked over at him like "What kind of **** is that?" waved off the call and ran a high pick and pop with Myles Turner that resulted in a bucket. That moment, literally 44 minutes into our season basically, was the moment you knew Nate didn't really have the chops to get it done with this team.
    I feel like every time I speak up now it's making me seem more and more of a Nate guy, when the truth is I felt his hiring was very bland and uninspiring, and as of this moment I think they screwed up by firing Vogel.

That out of the way, this story is interesting to me. What did Paul do that signaled he was waiving it off? Are we 100% sure that's what he did, as opposed to some kind of look he might have given before actually doing whatever Nate was calling out? Did Paul literally say something back to Nate akin to 'wtf is that,' or was it just non-verbal?

I don't mean to be argumentative about this, it may have gone down exactly the way you saw it and interpreted it. But I have to wonder if maybe you guys read something into it? Maybe not.

NBA sponsors a ticket exchange.
    Yea, I've actually used it a few times last year. It still plays out the same though. If a ticket broker still buys and sells on the secondary market it still shows up as a sold seat even if nobody buys the ticket to go.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

You guys laugh about this, but you know that Nate, KP and a lot of the leadership of those Blazer teams got busted for ignoring a pretty scathing report from an independent research firm they hired to examine the gaits and running patterns of their players right?

Roy and Oden in particular were suggested by this group that they needed more rest to heal existing injuries and the study even suggested that Oden should sit out like an entire year to heal and fix his running gait and the Blazers ignored the report.
    Wow; never heard that one. Is there a link handy? That's pretty damning. At least KP acknowledged when he started in May that he's learned to listen to his medical staff, but good grief.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Isn't it telling that when Nate left Portland he was not hired as a head coach again for 4 years and when he was it was by a franchise that happened to already have him on the salary?
    It is. But it's also weird he was part of the Team USA coaching staff if he's so bad or mediocre or whatnot. Team USA can't do better than him for a coaching staff position in that case? I don't know. I think the truth is somewhere in between on this. He's provably better than his naysayers, and probably still not that good.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Or knowing that this offseason could have the level of overturn it has proven to had (which we should have), I think the best course would have been, keep Vogel for one more year, hope the Pacers improve on their 45 win mark. If not, then you move on from Vogel and likely PG and actually start anew. Instead we're now stuck with Nate and my big concern is that he is going to continue to hamstring the usage of Myles on offense.
    The way the roster ended up going, it's really, really unfortunate that they let Vogel go.

One of your better points. The Pacers are going to do better with the expansion of upscale housing downtown. I know a wealthy couple who live in a gorgeous mansion on a great secluded lot, inground pool, etc...and they are considering moving downtown. Downtown is not my thing, but it sure is getting more popular. There are large numbers of people being hired by Salesforce and they are offering nearly west coast salaries. Those people are generally younger and may really hook into the nightlife including the Pacers. The mall is still dying but there is hope out there and the Pacers are going to be fine. The Colts were going to be fine anyway since their games are normally on Sunday or Monday night...and they are just more popular in general. But the Pacers cannot have the downtown die or they might struggle more filling seats.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I feel like every time I speak up now it's making me seem more and more of a Nate guy, when the truth is I felt his hiring was very bland and uninspiring, and as of this moment I think they screwed up by firing Vogel.

That out of the way, this story is interesting to me. What did Paul do that signaled he was waiving it off? Are we 100% sure that's what he did, as opposed to some kind of look he might have given before actually doing whatever Nate was calling out? Did Paul literally say something back to Nate akin to 'wtf is that,' or was it just non-verbal?

I don't mean to be argumentative about this, it may have gone down exactly the way you saw it and interpreted it. But I have to wonder if maybe you guys read something into it? Maybe not.
    I believe Peck and I both posted about it that night and touched on it a couple times during the season, but essentially Paul had the ball near half court and Nate called something out, Paul looked at him made a waving motion with his arm toward Nate which I interpreted as calling off the play and then straight up told Myles Turner where to come set the pick he would end up using.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I believe Peck and I both posted about it that night and touched on it a couple times during the season, but essentially Paul had the ball near half court and Nate called something out, Paul looked at him made a waving motion with his arm toward Nate which I interpreted as calling off the play and then straight up told Myles Turner where to come set the pick he would end up using.
    So he waived off the play call. I thought that was fairly typical in the NBA when it's a star player?

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Actually, and this is a deep pull that I'd have to go find the book again to be sure, but I want to say I remember in Larry Bird's book he wrote after he stopped coaching that Jalen Rose would waive off their play calls. We all know Jalen Rose loves him some Larry Bird, so I'm not sure I'm in agreement with this idea that the Dallas game is proof Paul disrespected Nate.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post: