Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't look now, but Pacers aren't all that bad

Default Re: Don't look now, but Pacers aren't all that bad

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Actually, the first time I quoted your post in this thread was before that. My reply to you was post #44 and it was the following:

This was a reply to the following post:

That post was post #38. Both of these posts are in the second page of the thread. BnG called Nate below average in the third page, post #55.

But it's possible that you weren't talking about when we first interacted in this thread. You could be talking about when we started discussing the whole "Nate is a bad or a below average coach" point.

This discussion essentially started with post #75. I'll quote it:

But where was this post directed at? It was a reply to this post:

This post was post #53. Yes, this was before BnG called Nate below average. This post was part of your conversation with cdash. It wasn't directed specifically at him but it was between two posts that were so it's easy to infer that it was a part of the same conversation. Up until that point no one had called Nate bad or below average. I had called him average, cdash had called him not very good and BnG hadn't even posted yet.

So, no. I don't think I missed a sequence. I just think that you were trying to make it seem like the "other side" was calling Nate bad and BnG's post gave you the perfect opportunity.
    When someone says below average and not very good, I don't see a problem with calling that bad. If you have a bunch of below average and not very good players and staff, you have a bad team.

Why can't you just agree to disagree? In my opinion if some says I'm not very good at my job, that's bad. If someone working for me is not very good and/or below average they get fired.

I cannot talk for everyone else but there are two main reasons why I consider Nate to be an average coaching and nothing more. His teams have tended to have poor defensive ratings and his playoff average is awful (36.8%).
    Goodness, as a coach of the Sonics he went to semis and as a Blazer coach he constantly had injury issues. Brandon Roy only had one season where he was healthy in the playoffs, one.

For someone who claims to pay so much attention to detail I don't see why you would omit that when talking about Nate's playoff record.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by freddielewis14 View Post
    Goodness, as a coach of the Sonics he went to semis and as a Blazer coach he constantly had injury issues. Brandon Roy only had one season where he was healthy in the playoffs, one.

For someone who claims to pay so much attention to detail I don't see why you would omit that when talking about Nate's playoff record.
    Remember Roy and Oden were injured because Nate didn't condition them enough, lol

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kent beckley For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

When someone says below average and not very good, I don't see a problem with calling that bad. If you have a bunch of below average and not very good players and staff, you have a bad team.

Why can't you just agree to disagree? In my opinion if some says I'm not very good at my job, that's bad. If someone working for me is not very good and/or below average they get fired.
    Do you feel that there's a difference between last year's Nets and last year's Pacers? If the answer to this is yes then you can recognize the difference between bad and average. If you don't then well, I'm not sure what to tell you.

This is true for the 09-10 and 10-11 Blazers. Yes, I'm aware that those teams were infamously plagued with injuries. At one point it was so bad that Nate had to fill in for a practice match and then he got injured. I know all that. It's just that injuries do not explain the rest of Nate's post-season runs.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    Empty vessels make the most noise.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Context matters.
    Numbers don't care about context. What you call context is basically just your opinion and we are all entitled to our own.
    Lifelong pacers fan

Mood

I cannot talk for everyone else but there are two main reasons why I consider Nate to be an average coaching and nothing more. His teams have tended to have poor defensive ratings and his playoff average is awful (36.8%).
    Yeah, but you have to be on a decent team to make the playoffs. 36% in the playoffs is better than not making them, which nearly half the teams in the league don't
    Lifelong pacers fan

Are you serious? If someone working for you is below average on your team, they are fired? Does that mean you just keep firing people until you have 1 employee who is the only one never deemed to be below the mean?

I think the issue here is that you have a different definition than everyone else has for "below average". I guess "below average" includes bad and terrible but I can assure you that if I really meant to say he was a bad coach, I just would have said that. Personally, when I say "below average" I mean in the realm of respectability. He might be OK to run the team through a rebuilding period. When I say "bad coach", I basically think he needs fired.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

Quote Originally Posted by pacers_heath View Post
    Yeah, but you have to be on a decent team to make the playoffs. 36% in the playoffs is better than not making them, which nearly half the teams in the league don't
    I consider Nate to be at-best average because he's had a lot of talent over the years but has not performed well in the playoffs. 1st round exit 5 out of 6 years. Swept by the Cavs this last year. Sorry, but he has to do better than that to get any better rating.

Now I'm probably in trouble for using the phrase "at-best average". Freddie probably has a special meaning for that phrase we don't understand.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I consider Nate to be at-best average because he's had a lot of talent over the years but has not performed well in the playoffs. 1st round exit 5 out of 6 years. Swept by the Cavs this last year. Sorry, but he has to do better than that to get any better rating.

Now I'm probably in trouble for using the phrase "at-best average". Freddie probably has a special meaning for that phrase we don't understand.
    Yeah, but that really dismisses the fact that he consistently got teams to the playoffs. He's a decent coach - most of his teams have had winning records and he's coached a lot of teams in a lot of different situations. Do Steve Kerr's championships not count because he had all that talent?
    Lifelong pacers fan

Yeah, but that really dismisses the fact that he consistently got teams to the playoffs. He's a decent coach - most of his teams have had winning records and he's coached a lot of teams in a lot of different situations. Do Steve Kerr's championships not count because he had all that talent?
    He did NOT consistently get teams to the playoffs. Just look at his last stint in Portland. Terry Stotts took over for Nate and has gotten the TBlazers to the playoffs 4 out of 5 times. That's pretty consistent. Prior to being fired midseason in 2012, Nate got them to the playoffs 3 of 6 years and lost in the first round each year he made it. Not real impressive.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wait, context is just opinion? Yikes....

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

pta

Sports Logo Sports Logo

As to Nate's time in Portland, I didn't pay close attention, but my recollection was that they were chewed up by the grinder of a conference loaded with good teams (in other words, his teams probably went at least one round further if they played in the east; kind of the opposite of giving a low east team extra credit for 'being a playoff team' versus a western team that didn't, when the west team was probably a notch or two better but there were more than 8 good teams out west, and less than 8 good teams in the east) while also dealing with major injuries. I recall him having a good reputation back then as a good coach, but again I didn't pay close attention....

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    As to Nate's time in Portland, I didn't pay close attention, but my recollection was that they were chewed up by the grinder of a conference loaded with good teams (in other words, his teams probably went at least one round further if they played in the east; kind of the opposite of giving a low east team extra credit for 'being a playoff team' versus a western team that didn't, when the west team was probably a notch or two better but there were more than 8 good teams out west, and less than 8 good teams in the east) while also dealing with major injuries. I recall him having a good reputation back then as a good coach, but again I didn't pay close attention....
    Nate presided over the worst Blazers regular season since 1972 and has had the worst playoff performance since Lenny Wilkens was coach in 1975-76. Of the 6 other coaches since Jack Ramsey in 1976, only Mo Cheeks has performed close to as bad in the playoffs coaching for 3.5 seasons making the playoffs 2 times. Nate made it 3 times over 6.5 seasons, losing in the first round each time. Prior to Nate and Mo, the Blazers made it to the playoffs over 20 times STRAIGHT and went to the finals 3 times, winning it once.

The reality is, the Blazers have always had excellent talent. They have not always had the best coaches to lead the team. Nate is the best example of that.

Mood

All of the wins mcmillian has had over his career were just because of the good players he had. However, the losses are all directly his fault. He's that horrible of a coach!
    Lifelong pacers fan

19. The Following User Says Thank You to pacers_heath For This Useful Post:

This whole conversation is just - average.

21. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    This whole conversation is just - average.
    No way. It's definitely below average and in essence, horrible. Because those two mean the exact same thing and there is no middle ground between the two. Have you learned nothing????
    Lifelong pacers fan

23. The Following User Says Thank You to pacers_heath For This Useful Post:

No way. It's definitely below average and in essence, horrible. Because those two mean the exact same thing and there is no middle ground between the two. Have you learned nothing????
    Well, I certainly never said anything like that. I said having a below average coach is bad, because it is.

All of the wins mcmillian has had over his career were just because of the good players he had. However, the losses are all directly his fault. He's that horrible of a coach!
    I honestly believe Nate has held back guys like Gary Payton, Ray Allen and LaMarcus Aldridge/Brandon Roy. Nate has had excellent talent most of his tenure in the NBA while delivering average results.

Man, this is almost as much fun as tearing into George Hill...

Sports Logo

Obviously. Which is why Nate isn't a bad coach. He can still take his teams to the playoffs. He just cannot take them far enough. Which makes him average.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    Empty vessels make the most noise.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Mood

They just want to add to off season interest.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

This is for certain: Nate is excellent at being average.
    "Look, it's up to me to put a team around ... Lance right now." —Kevin Pritchard press conference

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

What evidence do we have that Nate is better at being firm with players than Frank other than some fluff PR pieces calling him Sarge?

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Now I wonder just how much the "mentally drained by it all" superstar's attitude had a poor impact on the team?
    Yeah you often talk about teams emulating their best player well if your best player thinks "Game 60 feels like Game 100" you kind of have to wonder what kind of attitude PG was projecting in the locker room during any random regular season game.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Whatever Nate is as a coach is kind of irrelevant.

The reality is his hiring had a perception of settling to just about everyone in the NBA and certainly probably to Paul George. Nate is probably the lowest or close to lowest paid coaches in the NBA while Vogel got a very nice contract from the Magic, so ultimately right there it suggests that the NBA market saw the Pacers essentially take a downgrade, it's not like we were giving a young coach his first chance at a head coaching job.

It was very hard to listen to Bird sell how the team would play faster, play differently, be more flexible and then turn around and hire a guy like Nate who was Vogel's assistant coach for a reason. This was not a case of JOB being replaced by his assistant who was younger, motivated and needed a shot to lead. Nate is 8 years older than Vogel. So the message just ultimately fell flat on its face and it came off like it was actually about a money (which spoiler alert...it was about money)

I am one of the staunchest Vogel fans here, but even I could have bought into a "new voice, new direction" pitch if the new coach had actually been....NEW. Not a retread that had sat on our bench for the past several years. You expect a guy like PG to suddenly buy into this dude now being the head guy? Get real and it got proven OVER AND OVER again this season. Hell it was proven in the closing minutes of game 1 of 82 against the Dallas Mavericks. A story Peck and I have told several times, but Paul George had the ball late against Dallas and the Mavs were threatening to make a run to close the gap, Nate tried to call something from the bench and Paul looked over at him like "What kind of **** is that?" waved off the call and ran a high pick and pop with Myles Turner that resulted in a bucket. That moment, literally 44 minutes into our season basically, was the moment you knew Nate didn't really have the chops to get it done with this team.

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Not sure what Nate has done for anyone to say he is a below average coach. He's got a lot of years under his belt and over a .500 record. Based on that he's closer to being above average than below average. It doesn't matter if you don't like him or think he is boring.
    Nate's got a career winning percentage of 51% over 13 seasons. He's 28 games over .500 for his career. Essentially he's finished 2 games over .500 on average over his career as a head coach.

What was the Pacers record last year? 42-40. Down 3 games from a year before with a roster that had more talent. Fit was maybe slightly worse, but not enough in the East that it should have mattered IMHO.

Good, bad, average, above average, the Pope...I don't care what you want to label Nate Mcmillan, but he's exactly what most of us thought he was last summer. A dude who can get you to .500 or slightly above it but not much further.

Vogel may prove to be the same sort of guy over the long haul, but if the discussion is "Could we have, should we have done a better job replacing Frank?" then the answer is a resounding Yes.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post: