Thread: Oden to Ohio State

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Oden to Ohio State

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...TS02/506240442

Oden planning to attend Ohio St.

Waiting game: Before the NBA changed its rules this week, Greg Oden had been projected as the No. 1 pick in the 2006 draft. -- The Star / 2005 file photo

Related links
    Links to other web sites will open a new browser. IndyStar.com is not responsible for the content, accuracy or privacy practices of these sites.

By Jeff Rabjohns
    jeff.rabjohns@indystar.com

Greg Oden plans to play basketball at Ohio State University, a person close to Oden confirmed Thursday.

No immediate announcement is scheduled, but Oden and Lawrence North High School teammate Mike Conley are expected to make oral commitments to the Buckeyes in the near future. Oral commitments are nonbinding; the earliest players can sign a national letter of intent is Nov. 9.

Oden and Conley, both entering their senior years, could not be reached for comment Thursday night after playing in the Indianapolis Star Indiana All-Stars exhibition game in Richmond.

Reached by phone Thursday night, Oden's mother, Zoe, said no official decision has been made.

A dominating 7-foot, 245-pound center, Oden this past year joined NBA star LeBron James as the only juniors to be named National High School Player of the Year.

He averaged 20 points, 9.6 rebounds and 3.7 blocked shots in leading the Wildcats to their second straight state championship. In one game, he blocked 18 shots.

Word of Oden's choice came two days after the NBA changed its rules for the draft, requiring that players need to be at least one year out of high school. Oden -- widely projected as the No. 1 pick in the 2006 draft before the rule change -- has said all along that he wanted to play college basketball, narrowing his choices to Ohio State, Indiana, Wake Forest and Michigan State.

Conley, one of the top-ranked point guards in the nation, averaged 10.7 points and five assists for Lawrence North last season. He had narrowed his choices to Ohio State and Wake Forest.

Earlier this month, Oden and Conley took part in the USA Basketball Youth Development Festival in San Diego.

Shooting guard Daequan Cook, an AAU teammate of Oden's and Conley's from Dayton, Ohio, also heading into his senior year, orally committed to Ohio State this spring.

Call Star reporter Jeff Rabjohns at (317) 444-6183.

Star reporter Tracy Dodds contributed to this story.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Do you know what this means? This means that Ohio State just landed the top player from this class, one of the top point guards, and already has an oral committment from the top shooting guard from this class. How long has it been since Ohio State had the #1 recruiting class? This one is surely #1.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Oden to Ohio State

Too bad for all of them OSU ,could well be on probation at the time they are there ,if reports of NCAA investigations are true.

Matta can sell kids on the program but his predicessor likely will cost him a run at an NCAA title in Oden's frosh year.

IU is 2nd on his list , who knows a probation at OSU , may lead to Greg playing in Bloomington ,in the end.

NewType

Quote Originally Posted by diamonddave00
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Too bad for all of them OSU ,could well be on probation at the time they are there ,if reports of NCAA investigations are true.

Matta can sell kids on the program but his predicessor likely will cost him a run at an NCAA title in Oden's frosh year.

IU is 2nd on his list , who knows a probation at OSU , may lead to Greg playing in Bloomington ,in the end.
    That's something I'm really hoping to happen -- OSU gets a year or two of probation.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Jesus Shuttlesworth

He needs to ditch this Conley guy and his dad. They are trying to ride Oden's coattails.

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Damn, I was betting on Wake. Oh well.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

I'm suprised that he isn't just going to hide out in Prep School, or lift weights for a year. I know the story says that he is going to OSU, but that is not strait from Oden, but just his buddies.

I'm sure an Agent has probably been in his ear and told him that if he goes to college especially the Big Ten, the scouts and sports media will just have a year to pick the weaknesses of his game apart, ultimately costing him his #1 draft slot. I don't know...Oden doesn't seem like he is first over-all talent. It just seemed like he was getting over by being 7' playing against other H.S. children.

The NBA's new age policy still is a disservice. These prospects can still hide-out for a year. What happened to the 20 Y.O. limit with a lottery exception? It's hard to hide your game for 2 years.