Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dear OKC, here's what to expect from PG

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default Dear OKC, here's what to expect from PG

http://www.1070thefan.com/blogs/brun...what-expect-pg

An open letter to the Oklahoma City Thunder franchise and fans:

Welcome to Paul George’s world.

Enjoy your stay, however brief.

Because, no matter how much he tries to suggest otherwise, no matter how hard you convince yourselves, your time in his world will indeed be brief.

Nearly 25 years ago, upon Larry Brown’s arrival as head coach in Indianapolis, Mark Heisler of the Los Angeles Times, who knew the man well, tried to do us a favor. He wrote a story entitled “The Five Stages of Larry Brown,” hoping to prepare us for what was coming. Those stages were: Arrival, Early Struggle in Which He Tries to Trade Everyone Starting With His Star Player, Triumph, Frustration and I’m Out of Here.

At the time, we read the story with bemusement. As respected as Heisler was -- and still is -- obviously he just didn’t understand that things were going to be different in Indianapolis because we were special. Well, not so much. The Brown tenure went exactly as Heisler said it would.

I will be the first to admit I am no Mark Heisler, but I will nevertheless endeavor to do for you what he tried to do for us. I will offer The Three Stages of Paul George’s 11 Months in OKC.

1. THE WARM AND FUZZY EMBRACE

In his mind, George is very good at saying all the right things, while letting others around him do the dirty work. He told Pacers fans on June 15 in his first interview since the playoffs ended, “This is my team, my group and this is where I’m at.” He called the constant buzz he wanted to leave to sign with the Lakers “crazy rumors” and insisted he would take his time before making any decisions about his future.

On June 17, his agent Aaron Mintz informed Pacers president Kevin Pritchard that George intended to opt out of his contract after the 2017-18 season and leave the Pacers with the intent of signing with the Lakers.

Keep that in mind, before you get too encouraged about those quotes in the Sports Illustrated article, or anything he might say in his introductory press conference this evening.

He will talk about the great organization, the great fans, how awesome it’s going to be to play with Russell Westbrook, and he will tell you he hasn’t made up his mind about the future.

He already has, in fact, said many of those things via Sports Illustrated. Interesting that he chose to speak through a national magazine before speaking to the Thunder fans. He was softening you up.

“I get the frustration. I get why people are upset,” he told SI. “But at the same time, I want the average fan to understand that we only get a small window to play this game and more than anything you want to be able to play for a championship. I wanted to bring that to Indiana. I really did. I love Indiana. That will always be a special place for me and I’m sorry for not holding on. But I wasn’t sure we’d ever get a team together to compete for a championship and that’s where all this came from.”

The Pacers reached the playoffs in every one of George’s six healthy seasons, and twice advanced to the conference finals. Does he really expect anyone to believe he saw no hope for the future because Roy Hibbert and George Hill were gone? Or that Larry Bird’s departure somehow signaled the franchise waving the white flag on competing?

You see, Paul George wants to be loved so badly, he is perfectly willing to suspend reality to try to make it happen.

2. THE BIG TEASE

There will be a month during the 2017-18 season in which George plays as well as anyone in the NBA. Maybe even two. During that period, the national media will erupt with stories about how the Thunder just might be championship contenders, he and Westbrook are perfect for one another, and this is the start of something big in OKC.

“I’m thrilled,” he told SI. “All I was asking for was a little help in Indy. Now I’m getting a lot of help in Oklahoma. … I think I fit with how (Westbrook) plays and vice versa. Being a knock-down shooter, I think I can spread the floor for him and run the floor with him. But I also think I can help get him easier opportunities, being able to drive and dish the ball out, so he can attack guys closing out on him.”

But there will also be a month, maybe two, where you will wonder what all the fuss was about. The national media will murmur rumors about a discordant relationship between the two stars, with frustration being voiced through carefully placed leaks. Publicly, George will profess his love for Westbrook, offer disdain for those negative reports and deny his connection with them.

Odds are, the good month(s) will be in the first half of the season, before the trade deadline. Odds are, the bad month(s) will be down the stretch, and Magic Johnson will start Tweeting smiley-face emojis and not-so-cryptic comments about divine intervention on the Lakers’ behalf.

Crazy rumors and all that.

3. THE AWKWARD EXIT

We get it. The Thunder has a first-class operation from top to bottom, Oklahoma City is a great place to live, and you have great fans.

We get it because the Pacers are a first-class operation from top to bottom, Indianapolis is a great place to live, and we have great fans.

And none of that matters so much as a molecule.

After the Thunder wins 53 (or so) games, finishes third or fourth in the West and loses in the second round of the playoffs, Paul George will sit next to Russell Westbrook on a podium and be asked about his future. He will not offer a direct answer.

This will mean only one thing: adios.

We read in Sports Illustrated that George’s actual hometown (Palmdale) is actually an hour from downtown L.A., and he likes to fish, which makes him a small-town guy at heart, right?

He lived on a reservoir in a beautiful Indianapolis suburb. Had a boat. Fished all the time.

“I grew up a Lakers and a Clippers fan,” he told SI. “I idolized Kobe. There will always be a tie here, a connection here. People saying I want to come here, who doesn’t want to play for their hometown? That’s a dream come true, if you’re a kid growing up on the outskirts of L.A., to be the man in your city. But it’s definitely been overstated.

“For me, it’s all about winning. I want to be in a good system, a good team. I want a shot to win it. I’m not a stats guy. I’m playing this game to win and build a legacy of winning. I’ve yet to do that. I’m searching for it. If we get a killer season in Oklahoma, we make the conference finals or upset the Warriors or do something crazy, I’d be dumb to want to leave that.”

Reread the end of that last sentence. George let slip an inconvenient truth. Is that the mindset you want your new superstar to have, that the only way his new team can achieve the level of winning he demands is for “something crazy” to happen?

Look, I’m not trying to spoil your party, just trying to be sort of a designated driver to navigate these new worlds.

So watch the press conference tonight, listen to Paul George tell you what he thinks you want to hear, and then please, please remember this:

When Paul George speaks, his words are the banana, and you are the tailpipe.

You cannot keep him, you see, because he already is gone.
    Pretty strong opinion from a local writer
    Sittin on top of the world!

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Dear OKC, here's what to expect from PG

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.1070thefan.com/blogs/brun...what-expect-pg

Pretty strong opinion from a local writer
    Strong but accurate.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sav For This Useful Post:

Two things are like clockwork in the winter: cold weather and a prolonged month stretch where PG shoots below 40%. Happens every year.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

The best article Brunner has ever written.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    The best article Brunner has ever written.
    Wow... Didn't realize it was Conrad.
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

I think Brunner is being completely honest and has more insight to PG then national writers

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

And of course there is this ................

Paul George makes us believe he could actually stay
    Updated: July 12, 2017 9:11 PM CDT

Paul George toured the Oklahoma City National Memorial on Wednesday, but that's not the only place the new Thunder superstar went.

George went to that corner of our hearts, that place in our soul we vowed to never let any ballplayer visit again, unless they wear a 0 on their jersey and a scowl on their face.

“I got to … get a little bit of the taste of the history here, and that drew me even closer to the connection here and the reasoning for the love and the passion,” George said of his visit to the Memorial, a rite of passage for all new members of the Thunder organization. “I felt, I don't want to say this too soon, but Oklahoman.”

No. Surely George didn't go there. Surely George didn't say that. Surely George didn't prey upon our vulnerabilities that quickly. He's right. It's way too soon. We should have plugged our ears and averted our eyes. Three hundred seventy-three days after Kevin Durant broke our hearts and only 28 hours after George landed on Oklahoma soil, there he was, making us dream again. Giving us hope that the magic we lost a year ago could be replicated beyond just this season, after Sam Presti's masterful trade with Indiana.

We know that the angel in our arms this morning is gonna be the devil in someone else's arms tonight. We know that George has designs on wearing Laker gold by next summer and the chances of keeping him in OKC aren't great.

But danged if George, both Wednesday night in his introductory press conference and his Sports Illustrated exclusive earlier in the week, isn't giving us hope. Is it too late to induct him into the Oklahoma Hall of Fame this year?

George pushed all the right buttons.

“It's been awesome,” he said of his first two days in OKC. “Can't script this up any other way. This has been an unbelievable trip. I've been wowed ever since we landed. This feels like home.” He even mentioned checking out the lakes and ponds as he flew into town, scouting for fishing spots.

At the public pep rally staged at the hip Jones Assembly, a new downtown restaurant/concert venue, emcee Lance Fresh asked George what he was most looking forward to. “Playing in front of you guys,” George said. “I look forward to representing those three letters.” He meant OKC, the only acronym that trumps MVP in these parts.

George joked that he would challenge Russell Westbrook for fashion king.

George said he was quite surprised by the trade but “I was thrilled. All I wanted was the chance and the opportunity to play for something special. To ultimately try to win a championship, and right off the bat, I think I get that here, playing alongside Russ.”

Now, George also cooled the jets a little by declaring that he and Westbrook could “hopefully” address free agency together, next summer, “that we enjoy this process and enjoy what we've built to want to make decisions based off one another.” If it's all right with you, Paul, we'll just have Westbrook go ahead and sign his extension this summer, thank you very much.

But mostly, George gave Oklahomans hope. He said winning big is his priority, and really, that's all we could ask for. If that's true, OKC has a fighting chance.

“We haven't accomplished nothing yet,” George said. “But right now, me and Russ have something to build now, and we'll see where it takes us. It could be something special that we build and want to keep on building. We'll wait to get to that. At the end of the day, all I want out of this is a chance. A chance to compete.”

That desire, George said, is the root of the Laker talk. Hooking up with another star and reviving the NBA's most storied franchise. But George said that desire could bloom in OKC, too.

“I could come here and love it, as I have been loving it here” after 28 hours, George said. “Both myself and Russell, if we love where we're at and we feel we can do something special here, I'm open to it.”

That's all we can ask. So the Thunder pulled out all the stops with an airport greeting attended by 500 fans and a visit to the Memorial and a pep rally attended by 1,000 strong at an LA-cool venue. And we are left with no choice. Paul George can have our hearts to break.
    Hey PG, do you even believe the BS that comes out your mouth? Just curious

Sell it hard you slick oil snake salesperson

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

PG's gone. He's OKC's problem now.

Maybe it's time for people, including local writers, to

You'd all feel better for it.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post

It's only been a week. Didn't someone say people in Indiana remember betrayals for a long time? I imagine until Pacers start winning PG will be a point of discourse and tension for a long

18. The Following User Says Thank You to immortality For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    It's only been a week. Didn't someone say people in Indiana remember betrayals for a long time? I imagine until Pacers start winning PG will be a point of discourse and tension for a long
    It's gotten to the point where I'm half expecting Kravitz to write a column saying that the Pacers should retire #13 for Kevin Seraphin just for spite.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iogyhufi For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Decent article and an enlightenment to all that don't follow Pacers. But, to us, this is the obvious and while reading it I felt that the Pacers let not just Paul down, but the fans as well. I felt that much of what Paul has said is really the only thing he can say. Damned if he does, damned if he don't. At the end of all this, I hope the Pacers have learned from this experience and will do a much better job to seize the moment, not for the next All Pro Pacer, but for the Pacer Fan.
    Garbage players get 1st round picks, (WTF)! All of the NBA must hate the Pacers! LOL

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

Just glad to jettison PG and all his BS drama. He'll never be as good as HE sees himself. He's VERY good, but he does not realize any limitations in his game/situation.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Nice writing by Conrad.

It's the truth

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post

They haven't even let the Granger trade go LOL
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by iogyhufi View Post
    It's gotten to the point where I'm half expecting Kravitz to write a column saying that the Pacers should retire #13 for Kevin Seraphin just for spite.
    Jax/Seraphin dual retirement. Let's go.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

Meh, I'm over it. I hope OKC keeps him and Russ. I think the Pacers are finally starting to move in the right direction. I wish KP would have had a couple more years to revamp the roster around PG, but the timing didn't work out. My real ire is toward Larry.
    Last edited by idioteque; 07-13-2017 at 08:10 PM.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Default Dear OKC, here's what to expect from PG

Lots of salt, sour grapes, etc these days. Time to move on.

Of course that could all be true, but let's OKC have their moment. It's not their fault that this happened, nor is it ours

I'm just looking forward to having a team to support that cares about putting in full effort and playing with grit.

I think Lance will help the team's mojo a lot. Perfect for the youngins. I trust Pritchard to make good moves going forward like he did in Portland.

I've already moved on past Paul, and hope you all can too

PS: the only thing I worry about at this point is our coach, but more importantly, KP's willingness to move on from him given their history. I think that's the only actual structural impediment in place at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by docpaul; 07-13-2017 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post

I guess it depends on what you would consider a betrayal. I try not to take it personally when a player wants to go elsewhere for the most part although the difference for me with Paul George and Ron Artest is that Artest's actions ruined the Pacers not only for years but also the best shot at a ring we could've had in recent years.

With Paul George I never expected him to stay beyond his contract here I just didn't and the Pacers were nowhere as good as they were in the early 00s when PG was on the team.

I don't think its that much of a loss since we weren't going anywhere with him to begin with so its not nearly as big a deal to me personally.

The situation is entertaining. I like how he keeps tying himself to Westbrook.

Quote Originally Posted by freddielewis14 View Post
    The situation is entertaining. I like how he keeps tying himself to Westbrook.
    Well they're teammates for at least the next few months would be in both their best interests and OKC's if they coexisted.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Well they're teammates for at least the next few months would be in both their best interests and OKC's if they coexisted.
    No no, I'm talking about free agency. He literally has only had a few conversations with Russ according to his Woj interview. I doubt when Westbrook is asked about free agency he says "Paul and I have to figure that out."

And Russ has to sign his extension before the season.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:

Mood

If I were an OKC fan and read this I'd be like "guy sounds like a butthurt fan"
    Lifelong pacers fan

Quote Originally Posted by pacers_heath View Post
    If I were an OKC fan and read this I'd be like "guy sounds like a butthurt fan"
    Except- I really think he is just saying what he has to say to get through this season.
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.