Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pacers may waive Croshere this summer

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pacers may waive Croshere this summer

Interesting tidbit from Chad Ford's article about the new CBA:

Second, each team will be given a one-time option this summer to waive one player from its roster and receive luxury tax relief. The team will still have to pay the player and his salary will still count against the cap, but the team won't have to pay a luxury tax on his salary. For example, the Knicks' Allan Houston might a candidate to be waived because of this rule.

I think Croshere may well be one person waived from this rule as well. If the Pacers re-sign Dale Davis, they'll have O'Neal, Davis, Foster, Pollard, and Harrison at the power positions. That leaves little playing time for Croshere, provided everyone's healthy. And he's due to make about 18.5 million over the next two years, with the Pacers being well over the luxury tax limit. Makes sense to me.

On a completely selfish note, I'm hoping the Pistons are able to sign Jalen Rose because of this rule as well. (And yes, it's sacrilege to be thinking of the offseason when your team is one win away from a title. Well, sue me. )

Default Re: Pacers may waive Croshere this summer

Waiving Cro and then Signing Rose would be nice, if he wanted to play the bench. (Well, at least until Ron is traded/suspended)
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Wow this could have a big impact. i am surprised the players agreed to it.

As a Pacer fan I'd love for the Pistons to get Rose.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by shags
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    On a completely selfish note, I'm hoping the Pistons are able to sign Jalen Rose because of this rule as well. (And yes, it's sacrilege to be thinking of the offseason when your team is one win away from a title. Well, sue me. )
    Don't be. %95 of Pacers Digest wants the Pistons to sign Jalen too

Would you be happy is the Pacers traded for Stackhouse, Shags? I know I would. Its the same thing. They just know Jalen better than we do.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

I honestly would not mind that all.

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    Waiving Cro and then Signing Rose would be nice, if he wanted to play the bench. (Well, at least until Ron is traded/suspended)

He said he'd like the Pistons to sign Jalen.

That will be the beginning of the end for the Pistons.

Wouldn't we waive Bender instead of Cro. At least Cro is playing.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat

YEs! Please Pistons, sign Jalen (and remember, I'm a U of M fan).

Wow, can you imagine the cap tax implications of doing the LA trade (which ain't happening) and releasing Cro???

OK...now, Cro or Bender (ok so I'm flaming a bit)
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by PacerFanAdam
    He said he'd like the Pistons to sign Jalen.
    Thanks for reminding me. I already knew that though.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

GOOD, Cut him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat

Would you be happy is the Pacers traded for Stackhouse, Shags? I know I would. Its the same thing. They just know Jalen better than we do.
    But it's different though. Stack played real well for Dallas off the bench last season.

I don't see why Jalen would be any different. He'd be perfect for the Pistons, and I definitely think he'd fit in. He's from Detroit, and grew up a Pistons fan. He'd be the #1 option off the bench (similar to Stack). And on the BDSSP last night, he said he'd rather have Robert Horry's career over Patrick Ewing's, Charles Barkley's, and Karl Malone's, because he wants the championships.

Well, wouldn't it be his dream to come back to Detroit and have a great chance to win a title (and be a contributor) with his hometown team? Am I crazy? What do you think? I think his attitude would be fine.

Dr Huxtable,
    Kudos on the Belle and Sebastian album cover. Great stuff. Nice to see that sort of eclectic reference in a pro basketball forum. I don't remember what your point was, but felt rewarded by seeing that classic show up where I did not expect it.

But it's different though. Stack played real well for Dallas off the bench last season.

And on the BDSSP last night, he said he'd rather have Robert Horry's career over Patrick Ewing's, Charles Barkley's, and Karl Malone's, because he wants the championships.

Am I crazy? What do you think? I think his attitude would be fine.

He said he would rather have Robert Horry's rings over Reggie's career also.

YOU ARE CRAZY. JALEN, ATITUDE AND FINE cannot be put in the same sentence. I would pay about $500 of his yearly salary if the Pistons sign him. He is a cancer personified. He is a big time pouter, play breaker, complains to the refs all the time (in that category he would fit in well though !LOL).

Believe me, you do not want him! He is a basketball purist's nightmare.

Well, wouldn't it be his dream to come back to Detroit and have a great chance to win a title (and be a contributor) with his hometown team? Am I crazy? What do you think? I think his attitude would be fine.
    I'll take the attitude of 12 Rasheed Wallaces before I take one Jalen Rose.

Jalen's incapable of playing D, and he Jalen isn't dominating the ball, he cries liek a girl.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

We should Waive Bender instead of Cro like RabidPacers Fan said (sorry to lazy to quote), at least Austin sucks it up and plays.

And I think that they would waive Pollard Before Cro too.
    Life without water is tough, life without air is hard,life with one leg only is wobbly, Life without Reggie Miller, is impossible.

Do Not Trade Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Brunner
    Veteran Austin Croshere, the longest-tenured Pacers player on the roster, has proven reliable when called upon, invariably ready to step in regardless of the circumstance.

I am not for this to much.

I would rather suck up the contracts until the trade deadline before they expier and hopefully make a trade. But that's just me.

We would waive Pollard's ending contract before we would wave Cro?

Quote Originally Posted by rabidpacersfan
    Wouldn't we waive Bender instead of Cro. At least Cro is playing.
    Well, Ford's article says you can cut players who are deemed "permanently injured" after one season with no luxury tax implications as well.

I'd think the Pacers could convince the NBA of that.

Let me think...
    A team that is loyal to a fault has the ability to waive an overpriced player...
    Do I waive the player that is not stunningly athletic but knows the game of basketball and (more importantly) gave me everything he had this season regardless of injury-
    ....Or do I waive the player who, when not injured (which is actually perpetually injured), is athletic but knows little about the game of basketball... is made of glass... has been a bust the whole time he has been here... Is too slow and awkward for a SG ...or SF and too skinny and fragile for PF where we already have a player or two anyway... ???

Hmmmmmm Who to waive....

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Jalen Rose + Larry Brown does not mix. Exactly wrong. I would more expect Jalen to sign with us than the Pistons, unless Brown leaves. Jalen had by far his most important years as a pro when Carlisle was the offensive coordinator for the Pacers. Jalen is the prototypical point forward, perfect for a team that thrives on outscoring their opponent. I loved Jalen when he was with us. It was the perfect situation for him. He was not at the point or could have ever been considered any more than our third option at point behind Mark Jackson and T.Best. He was a perfect secondary 'creator' on offense and played off Smits and Reggie and Dale extremely well and was tremendous in both a half court or transitional game when he wasn't expected to be the primary ball handler. God I miss that team. Although, Jalen and Rik sort of eptomized what was both wonderful and deficient about it.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jermaniac
    GOOD, Cut him.
    Actually, I'd rather not cut a decent player who plays through pain. CUT, BENDER, if you're going to cut someone.

Croshere does not warrant a cut, from the heart he played with this year. Where was Bender this year, WHEN WE NEEDED HIM THE MOST? His knee was hurting for the 43562765437637564th time.

Hell, I remember some games where Croshere would carry the DAMN team. Playing with broken ribs through most of the season. Would Bender do that? HELL NO.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Interesting tidbit from Chad Ford's article about the new CBA:
    Would someone post the whole article please?

Quote Originally Posted by McClintic Sphere
    Jalen Rose + Larry Brown does not mix. Exactly wrong. I would more expect Jalen to sign with us than the Pistons, unless Brown leaves. Jalen had by far his most important years as a pro when Carlisle was the offensive coordinator for the Pacers. Jalen is the prototypical point forward, perfect for a team that thrives on outscoring their opponent. I loved Jalen when he was with us. It was the perfect situation for him. He was not at the point or could have ever been considered any more than our third option at point behind Mark Jackson and T.Best. He was a perfect secondary 'creator' on offense and played off Smits and Reggie and Dale extremely well and was tremendous in both a half court or transitional game when he wasn't expected to be the primary ball handler. God I miss that team. Although, Jalen and Rik sort of eptomized what was both wonderful and deficient about it.

I would like to see Jalen the point forward bring the ball up the court against Lindsey Hinter or soem other pesky defender.

What are waivers?
    It's a temporary status for players who are released by their team. A player released between August 15th and the end of the regular season stays on waivers for 48 hours. A player released at any other time stays on waivers for 10 days. During the waiver period other teams may claim a waived player. If more than one team tries to claim the player, the team with the worst record gets him. If a player on waivers is claimed, the new team acquires his existing contract and pays the remainder of his salary. There is also a fee of $1,000, payable to the league office, for claiming a waived player.

A team can claim a waived player only if one of the following is true:

The team is far enough under the salary cap to fit the player's entire salary.

The team has a disabled player exception for at least the player's salary (see question number 17 ).

The team has a trade exception for at least the player's salary (see question number 68 ).

The player's contract is for one or two seasons and he is paid the minimum salary.
    If no team claims a waived player, he is said to have "cleared waivers." The player may sign with the team of his choice at that point. The player's new team only pays the pro-rated minimum salary to the player. The player's original team continues to pay the balance of the player's salary. For this reason, few players are actually claimed while on waivers.

If a player is waived after March 1, he is ineligible to be included in the playoff roster of any team that signs him for the remainder of that season.
    -----

Heres a question. Does that mean the Pacers could waive Croshere, then after he clears waivers resign him to the minimum salary and thus get the tax relief?

No one will claim him on waivers so he can then sign with the team of his choice. If he resigned with the Pacers they would still pay him all his money but his salary over the minimum wouldn't count for tax purposes.

This loophole will probably be closed by not letting the player sign with the team that waived him. Of course I see nothing wrong with letting the player sign with any team. After all it's just a device for teams not to pay the luxury tax, so what difference does it make.