Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vecsey says Al wants to play in NY.

Default Vecsey says Al wants to play in NY.

http://nypost.com/sports/16219.htm

PACERS GETTING THE POINT
    January 20, 2004 -- BACK-TO-BACK victories over the Spurs in Indy and the Nets in New Jersey - as well as yesterday's road kill in Atlanta - leave little doubt the 32-11 Pacers are the team to beat in the East and to seriously challenge the deified West.
    Especially in light of Jonathan Bender surfacing from the injured list with his surround-sound game and Jamaal Tinsley's emergence from uncalled-for confinement.

"Jamaal has changed our world," gushed Rick Carlisle, rattling off a multitude of reasons, each related to uninhibited running and unrestrained stunning. "Our scoring has gone up about ten a game since he took over the point. The other night in Dallas we piled up 25 fast break points to five by the Mavericks. All because Jamaal was pushing the ball and attacking the defense."

Saturday night, after a dreadful first half (0-5 FG; he was up 'till 7 a.m. with his infant son who lives in New York), in which the Nets dared Tinsley to beat them from outside, he changed up and attacked defensively. In the guts of the game.

In the first three quarters, Jason Kidd accumulated 21 points. In the final dozen minutes, Tinsley (and Anthony Johnson) held him scoreless and pressured him into his lone three turnovers. When other Nets are forced to set up themselves or think on their own the team becomes mighty vulnerable.

"My job was not to let him get the ball by denying him or make him give it up [by blocking a layup] when he got it," Tinsley explained. "A.J. kept telling me to keep the ball out of his hands and we'd be all right."

Tinsley also busted Byron Scott's strategy by draining three trifectas after intermission and buried three critical free throws in four tries at crunch time.

"What I love about Jamaal is that he stayed in shape and kept working on his jumper when he wasn't getting any time," Carlisle praised. "I went with Kenny [Anderson] at the start and when he got hurt Jamaal was ready. That's impressive."

That pretty much sums up the Pacers, too.

Asked what the Pacers need, if anything, Reggie Miller noted: "Well, if Jamaal is going to continue to play like he's been playing we don't need help at the point, that's for sure. I guess we could always use some more size.

"What we really need, though, is for David Stern to make more minutes. We've got too many good players and not enough minutes to keep everyone happy."

* The Hawks and Blazers don't appear any closer to firming up a swap of Shareef Abdur-Rahim and Chris Crawford for Rashweed Wallace. My feeling is, Portland is delaying things a tinge in hopes the Mavericks come across with Antoine Walker (and more) vs. Antawn Jamison, Tony Delk and Eduardo Najera.

At any rate, sources say agent Bill Strickland is trying to involve the Knicks or Cavaliers in a three-way deal with the Blazers/Hawks. Supposedly those are the only two teams Wallace will commit to long-term; he loves the idea of playing in New York or with LeBron James.

Certainly that should get the Cavs' attention. I've been alerted all along they'd be interested if they knew positively Wallace would re-sign with them. Clearly, the Knicks don't have sufficient resources to compensate the Blazers and/or the Hawks, while the Cavs boast Zydrunas Ilgauskas.

Of course, the Hawks already have a center, Theo Ratliff. At the same time, the game plan of the new owners is to dump salary not exchange it for the same amount and number of years. In other words, simply switching Shareef for Rasheed makes much more sense.

Pacer management has received several distress signals over the last few weeks from Al Harrington. Sources say the Jersey-born-and-bred forward wants to play somewhere (preferably the Knicks) where he can be a leading man, not an understudy. But there's no way Indy will trade him short of getting a rising superstar.

Sources say Jerry West greatly covets HarRington, who may not be as good as he thinks he is, but, from my pulpit, is better than anything the Grizzlies have to offer.

Knicks, indeed, have offered to take either Jerome Williams or Eddie Robinson off the Bulls' cap along with Jamal Crawford for Shandon Anderson and Frank Williams . . . Knicks and Raptors have also discussed an Anderson-Lamond Murray switch . . . While fielding bids for Wallace, the Blazers notified the league Dale Davis is available . . . Spurs continue to shop Ron Mercer . . . 76ers continue to shop Derrick Coleman and sources say they're now prepared to include Eric Snow if the price is right.

Default Re: Vecsey says Al wants to play in NY.

I know a lot of people are going to blow this off & just chalk this up to Vescey just talking but when it comes to the Pacers I have always found that he has a very good inside source :cough:Walsh:cough:.

If you read between the lines, Reggie saying we need more min. a game because there is not enough to keep people happy, & know that both Al & the team has said that Al has asked for something differant. You would think that trouble could be on the horizen.

We're winning & that's all that counts right now. But if we hit another bump in the road I just have to wonder how Al will react.

Obviously, something next season, will have to be done. I don't know what that is yet though.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There are times when I'd let somebody have Al for a bag of peanuts...then there are times when it'd take the entire Hawks front line to get heim away IMO.

It will be interesting to see the reactions of Harrington and/or Artest the next time we go thru a bad period because they hold the key to both going into and coming out of rough times.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Man, I would LOVE for us to get Al. There is nothing, on a one-for-one (or two-for-one, 3-for-1, etc) basis we have that I could see the Pacers being interested in. Maybe KT but I don't see a trade going through then - just that LB would at least think about it.

So it would have to be a three-team deal. And to be honest, Al may be interested in leaving but I can't see the Pacers as being in a hurry to move him. If he does go, it'll be during the offseason. He's too big a piece.

And if I'm Al I'd be careful what I wish for. Memohis has already been mentioned. The Clips have a ton of quality young big men like Ely & Wilcox - I think there's a better chance that Al would end up in some form of basketball Siberia than with the Knicks.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

well, Reggie isn't gonna play forever... is he? Whenever he gets around to retiring (after next season?) Artest will move to SG and Al will be our star SF. I sure hope we keep AL till then. Artest JO and AL are the future of the team after Reggie retires. Maybe Jamaal too eventually.

Rick Carlisle has said on his radio show two separate times that likely in the future the roster will need to be balanced. Last week Rick said when you look at Ron, AL, Jon the small forward position is their best position, so at some point down the road something may have to be done. He also said many times nothing is likely to happen this season.

Would I trade Al Harrington? If the Pacers got a young allstar in return and if we are reasonably confident that Bender is going to be a 30 minute a game player every night. If either of those two things are not going tohappen, then we don't trade AL.

well, Reggie isn't gonna play forever... is he? Whenever he gets around to retiring (after next season?) Artest will move to SG and Al will be our star SF. I sure hope we keep AL till then. Artest JO and AL are the future of the team after Reggie retires. Maybe Jamaal too eventually.
    I believe I remember reading in the Star that Reggie has an option after next year, plus real GM has him down for two more years, so It's probably true.

Of course if we managed to win a championship in the next two years Reggie might retire.

As for Harrington, I'm with Vecsey, I don't think Al is as good as he thinks he is . . . yet.

The trouble with the young is they don't want to wait. If Al could get his head screwed on right he would realize he's not going to win an NBA championship by himself. He's already getting accolades for his play. All he has to do to get reconized is continue to grow with the team and the honors will come. If he has his heart set on being the 'man' we will lose him though.

I think if he leaves he will be like Dale Davis and regreat it.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Agreed WIll...somebody needs to whisper to AL...Dale Davis...Antonio Davis...just to remind him where they are today and the success their teams have had..

BTW the young have never HAD to wait...they're coddled in grade school thru high school and then jump to the NBA where they are given millions without ever playing a game or accomplishing anything. Why should they be expected to wait for a starting slot?
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

With all respect guys, how long should he be expected to wait?

He's been in the leage 6 years & he would start on most teams in the east & probably even most teams in the west.

The problem Al see's & I agree with him on this point, is that the people he is waiting on are as young if not younger than him.

Ron is younger, Jermaine is younger. He is not going to be able to wait for them to retire before he get's his shot because in all likely hood he will retire at the same time.

If you wanna say Reggie, then I think I can agree. But it seems that the Artest at the two guard is not what Carlisle wants.

I'm sure in Al's mind he also see's that he is not being rewarded for being a good soldier.

I'm sure in his mind he is close to as good a defender as Ron. (He's not as good btw but were not talking worlds apart here either)

I'm sure in his mind he is a better rebounder than Ron. (stat's don't lie on this one)

I'm sure in his mind he is a better scorer than Ron. (He's not a better scorer but again we are not talking 15 ppg either between the two)

So when all of the above are averaged out, in his mind, what it should boil down to is why isn't he being rewarded for not acting up. He's never tossed a gatorade cooler, he's never vandalized property & he's never openly rebelled against a coach's play calling.

So I have to ask, why are we saying Al should be patient again?

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Sports Logo

I think Al has a much better shooting touch and ball handeling skills than Ron. I think the only area Ron has Al is in the defensive end. Its just that Ron is nearly as good at everything but way better defensivly.

Its not that Al is not a good defender he is. Its that Ron is freaking amazing.

I would much rather see us dump bender than Al. I know Bender has the all the potential in the world but Al has shown he is a good rebounder, defender and scorer. Why dump him in favor of Thinder?

So I have to ask, why are we saying Al should be patient again?
    Because Al can be part of something special here. It's already starting but it can and will get better!

Peck, I don't want to put words in your mouth, but are you suggesting trading Ron instead of Al.

Their contracts are similar, Ron's is longer. But I think everything considered they have similar trade value, so should we trade Ron Artest and keep AL we know how close J.O, Al and Jon are.

I would much rather see us dump bender than Al. I know Bender has the all the potential in the world but Al has shown he is a good rebounder, defender and scorer. Why dump him in favor of Thinder?

Ragnar, I agree with you, but the theory is that the pacers could get a lot more for AL in a trade, maybe an allstar shooting guard or point guard. They won't get as much for Bender

With all respect guys, how long should he be expected to wait?
    I think he needs to think of Bobby Jackson and shut up about it. He should be thankful he's on a team good enough that he can't start. It's probably going to go somewhere.

Ron is 3 months older than AL. Unless the Pacers calendar is wrong

Ron born 11/13/79

AL born 2/17/80

J.O. 10/13/78

Bender 10/13/81

The only thing this tells me is that I am getting old

Sports Logo

We dont need what we could get in a trade we need Al. We clearly dont need Thinder.

Agreed WIll...somebody needs to whisper to AL...Dale Davis...Antonio Davis...just to remind him where they are today and the success their teams have had..
    Dunno as I'd whisper AD too much. Yeah, he's with the Bulls now and last year Toronto sucked but he also made the all-star team and helped take his team within 2 pts of of the finals a couple of years back.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Tim

Default Why is it....

... that when the media has something bad to say about Al you guys take it as the absolute truth?

To set the record straight read what Al said recently.

There have been rumblings in the press that you want to be
    a starter - is Indiana the place for you?

Indiana is the place for me. I started my career here and I would love to finish it here. I just want the team to play hard. Starting is in my near future so Iím not going to worry about it.

He said that on Jan 10, on his website.

I doubt Al is the big whiner people make him out to be. The media interviews players and when they talk to Al they ask him about starting and he gives them an honest answer instead of what we want to hear.
    The Media reads PD and other forums and knows its an issue for US and continues to write about it, and then we whine about it even more.

Al set the record straight, he is going to be here and he is going to start here in the near future, probably when Reggie retires.
    Donnie isn't going to trade Al, he is core and we are 32-11 with Al, any GM would be stupid to trade him.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Why is it....

... that when the media has something bad to say about Al you guys take it as the absolute truth?

To set the record straight read what Al said recently.

There have been rumblings in the press that you want to be
    a starter - is Indiana the place for you?

Indiana is the place for me. I started my career here and I would love to finish it here. I just want the team to play hard. Starting is in my near future so Iím not going to worry about it.

He said that on Jan 10, on his website.

I doubt Al is the big whiner people make him out to be. The media interviews players and when they talk to Al they ask him about starting and he gives them an honest answer instead of what we want to hear.
    The Media reads PD and other forums and knows its an issue for US and continues to write about it, and then we whine about it even more.

Al set the record straight, he is going to be here and he is going to start here in the near future, probably when Reggie retires.
    Donnie isn't going to trade Al, he is core and we are 32-11 with Al, any GM would be stupid to trade him.
    Thank you. And lest we forget, we are talking about Peter "Snowjob" Vescey.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Let me begin by stating that Al is not in the same defensive class as Ron by a long shot, those who heard Slick last will confirm that he had little good word for Al's defensive capabilities in several occassions.

That out of the way, despite the fact that Al's play sometimes makes me want to trade his arse out of here on the spot, I still think we should not let him go,
    He wants to start, tough luck, why it is so important to him (and only him) is beyond my comprehension, he is not of the same quality of JO, so he can't replace him, he can not play C so he can't replace Jeff, he is not as good as Ron on either end of the floor (include the Ast count) so he can't be ahead of Ron, Reggie ? Al as SG ? mouahhahaha, and let's not discuss the point.

Al is where he should be, a very important role player, he is not star material, despite his own mind set, and that mindset will kill his career faster then a sniper if he keeps it up, He is not capable of carrying a team night after night, unproven in crunch play (if anything is proven it's the fact he is not there) so becoming the "star" PF elsewhere is not really an option, unless he goes to the "siberian" teams. If that is what he wants, then by all means, at the end of his contract he is free to go where ever he wants. If he wants a trade in the meanwhile then it is up to LB and DW to accept what is offered or not.

Trading Ron is even more nonsense, we are talking about the league's best defender who in his young career has shown he's no slouch on offense either, can dish with the best, he is here for the long haul with very little "but and ifs".

If Al and JO are such "good" friends (which i'm starting to doubt) then why the &^%$&$ does he not accept his role and ride with this team to several rings? they can do it, that is for sure, look at their age and imagine them all on their peak at around 28, can you tell me ONE team that could compete?

If he feels he's underpaid then he should come out and say so, but not this crap about starting, because that is only to get more money in the end, he might darned well make the "davis" here, thinking he will get more after being traded and ending up on the "has been" and "could've been" and "showed such great promise" lists with less money and playing time then he has now.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Vescey has more rumors than a thirteen year old girl at a slumber party...and he's been about as accurate for the last few years.

I'm sure Al would like to be a starter and get that recognition...but I'm sure he realizes his time is coming..., but right now he's in a good situation on a very good team...with potential to go deep into the playoffs, (where players make names for themselves) he's 3rd in minutes on the team...and He'll most likely get the 6th man award.

also, what has trading Bender got to do with anything... it wouldn't open up a starting role for Al.

3rdBattboy

[quote="able"]

That out of the way, despite the fact that Al's play sometimes makes me want to trade his arse out of here on the spot, I still think we should not let him go,
    He wants to start, tough luck, why it is so important to him (and only him) is beyond my comprehension, he is not of the same quality of JO, so he can't replace him, he can not play C so he can't replace Jeff, he is not as good as Ron on either end of the floor (include the Ast count) so he can't be ahead of Ron, Reggie ? Al as SG ? mouahhahaha, and let's not discuss the point.

Al is where he should be, a very important role player, he is not star material, despite his own mind set, and that mindset will kill his career faster then a sniper if he keeps it up, He is not capable of carrying a team night after night, unproven in crunch play (if anything is proven it's the fact he is not there) so becoming the "star" PF elsewhere is not really an option, unless he goes to the "siberian" teams. If that is what he wants, then by all means, at the end of his contract he is free to go where ever he wants. If he wants a trade in the meanwhile then it is up to LB and DW to accept what is offered or not.
    quote]

I think thats unfair. He has done everything that has been asked of him. He gives us a consistent 12-15points every night, he gives us 7bds a game, hes improved his mid range jumper, improved his defense over last season, hes trying to become a better all around player. Defensively hes very good, hes not a stopper but can contain people. I think he can be a star. If he was starting he would probably be getting 17pts and 9 bds every night, I believe hes a better offensive player then Artest is, who in my oppinion they run the offense way to much through.

Just a reminder that Ron is averaging 18ppg on the season right now.

3rdBattboy

Obviously, something next season, will have to be done. I don't know what that is yet though.
    Honestly I think everybody is make a big deal about Al Harrington starting. I will be very surprised if Reggie is starting next year anyway. I think they will just move Artest to the shooting guard spot and Al will play the 3. Of course our perimiter shooting will suffer a little bit but these two will make up for it in other areas. Our roster might have to be balanced out a little bit, but I don't believe there going to move Ron or Al unless somebody blows them away with an offer.

7-Layer Burrito

I credit this to wild Vescey speculation. Sometimes he's on it, most of the time he is not. I would take more from Al's own website than what Mr. Pete has to say on the subject.

Of course AH isn't thrilled about not starting. IMO, Al wants to be recognized/respected as a quality starting forward in this league. He's not getting that right now. That's more important to him than the amount of minutes/ppg/6th man honors, etc. that he receives. However, I think he's grown enough to realize he's going to be a starter in this league, on this team, and in the near future.

It's obvious we have a glut at the forward spot. This is a good problem. I would bet that we do nothing before this trade deadline or this off-season to move either Al or Ron. Moving one of these guys for a quality guard shifts the strength of our team and, IMO, considerably weakens our front court. What happens if we move Al and Ron gets hurt? Suddenly we have JB as a starter, assuming he's not injured, backed up by Croshere and James Jones?

No thank you. And I think LB and/or DW would use the same logic.