Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Bill Simmons Thinks LeBron Is L.A.-Bound Next Summer (And James won’t be alone. Paul George, John Wall, and even DeMarcus Cousins could join him.)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Why Bill Simmons Thinks LeBron Is L.A.-Bound Next Summer (And James won’t be alone. Paul George, John Wall, and even DeMarcus Cousins could join him.)

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Welllllllll...technically, anything is possible. The key to this is that the players would have to take massive pay cuts. I don't see that happening.
    I don't think it will happen either, but it shouldn't even be a point of discussion.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Why Bill Simmons Thinks LeBron Is L.A.-Bound Next Summer (And James won’t be alone. Paul George, John Wall, and even DeMarcus Cousins could join him.)

Quote Originally Posted by HickeyS2000 View Post
    A massive failure only to small market teams. NBAPA has so much power it's incredible. The problem is the owners are seeing highest-ever team valuations, so it's not likely to change anytime soon.
    Well, seeing as how there are quite a few small market teams in the NBA, then that makes it a massive failure.

Right now, small markets are basically treated like D-League teams. They draft and develop stars who then bolt for greener pastures while in their primes.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    The fact that this is even remotely possible is proof that the current CBA is a massive failure.
    It's not really possible unless 3 of the 4 guys take massive pay cuts (or 2 guys play for the minimum, LOL). As has been pointed out, just adding 2 max contracts will be a stretch for the Lakers.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Still wouldn't beat the warriors.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    It's not really possible unless 3 of the 4 guys take massive pay cuts (or 2 guys play for the minimum, LOL). As has been pointed out, just adding 2 max contracts will be a stretch for the Lakers.
    Another obstacle is that John Wall isn't even a free-agent next Summer, which sort of puts a spanner in the works.

If you put PG and LeBron on the same team, adding Wall and Cousins would be a huge mistake. Superteams are fine, but the pieces have to work together. Describe the point guard that you'd put with a PG/LeBron pair. It ain't John Wall.

This reads like a fantasy sports team, not a real contender.
    This space for rent.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Mood

I can't wait for LeBron to go anywhere but LA, Paul to sign with the Clippers, and Melo to be traded and sign an extension in Houston, convincing CP3 to also extend/re-sign. Westbrook sign with the Pacers.

It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

And just how different is this article than what goes on daily on this board ?? I see people on here scoffing and ridiculing Simmons but posting material that is more absurd, then getting pissed if someone questions it. Relax, it's only a game, unlike real life, you can turn this game off. I'm old and grumpy, so what.
    I would rather be the hammer than the nail

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alabama-Redneck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I can't see the Lakers getting all 4, but 3 of those players wouldn't shock me.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

sav

Quote Originally Posted by sav View Post
    I am 99% certain that Paul George and LeBron will team up with the Lakers next summer. I think another star will probably join them but I don't know who. To add 2 more stars, I don't see it but the way the league is going, it wouldn't surprise me.
    This is what I suspected all along while PG is full of it when he says his Lakers interest was overstated its just as laughable as people here thinking that he would leave the Pacers to go home and "chill". He may love LA but he's not going to make a lateral/downgrade move unless he knew something was coming along the pike to the point where he was bold enough to say he wasn't going to come back after 2018.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

sav

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This is what I suspected all along while PG is full of it when he says his Lakers interest was overstated its just as laughable as people here thinking that he would leave the Pacers to go home and "chill". He may love LA but he's not going to make a lateral/downgrade move unless he knew something was coming along the pike to the point where he was bold enough to say he wasn't going to come back after 2018.
    And let's not forget how Magic made his offseason/draft moves which showed that he was 100% sure he was getting Paul George next season.

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

I understand why LeBron would leave Cleveland. I just don't understand why he would leave the Eastern Conference.
    #DBAP

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

This is complete trash, as is the reasoning provided by Simmons. Dude should have never tried to pass for an insider.

The only thing harder to believe than one player giving up the new supermax money is 3 or 4 players doing so, all for the right to join a franchise that has been irrelevant for a good 5+ yrs.

Maybe Bill Simmons doesn't realize this, but Lebron can retire in LA and become a billionaire without ever wearing a Laker uniform a day in his life.

I see no one here actually listened to the podcast. Simmons flat out says, "I don't think it's going to happen" and basically used it as a vehicle to say that a) Bron and PG are probably going to the Lakers (PG for sure, but we knew that) and b) he thinks Boogie and John Wall want to play together and he's suspicious about Wall not signing the supermax with Washington. That's it. I know it's cool to hate Simmons, but this **** is taken out of context.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

I think it's worth wondering why Wall didn't sign the supermax.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cordobes View Post
    Another obstacle is that John Wall isn't even a free-agent next Summer, which sort of puts a spanner in the works.
    Can't he opt out? or not opt in.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Can't he opt out? or not opt in.
    Locked in next 2 years according to this.

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/washington-wizards/

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    Locked in next 2 years according to this.

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/washington-wizards/
    Dang...we should have done that lol

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    If you put PG and LeBron on the same team, adding Wall and Cousins would be a huge mistake. Superteams are fine, but the pieces have to work together. Describe the point guard that you'd put with a PG/LeBron pair. It ain't John Wall.

This reads like a fantasy sports team, not a real contender.
    Lonzo Ball?

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Dang...we should have done that lol
    Of all the theoretical mistakes that Larry Bird made, this one is an actual mistake. The Pacers could have signed Paul up for the full 5 years of a RFA max contract. But Paul had qualified for the 30% max and, instead of signing up for 5 yr with no options @ 30%, the Pacers asked Paul to sign for 25% and settled for 27.5%. To save that extra 2.5%, the Pacers put a player option on the last season, making the contract a 4 yr one. They could have kept Paul for the full 5 yrs, but didn't.

IIRC, the B&G never really used much of the savings for improving the roster. So they just gave away an extra year to save some money. If they had gone with the full max, Paul would still be a Pacer for the next two seasons. No matter what he and Lebron wanted to do.

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:

We have a good package for a disgruntled star, right? Next offseason we could send VO and Sabonis to Washington for Wall, then sign Boogie ourselves. A Wall, Boogie, Turner big three would be nice!!