Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Bill Simmons Thinks LeBron Is L.A.-Bound Next Summer (And James won’t be alone. Paul George, John Wall, and even DeMarcus Cousins could join him.)

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default Why Bill Simmons Thinks LeBron Is L.A.-Bound Next Summer (And James won’t be alone. Paul George, John Wall, and even DeMarcus Cousins could join him.)

https://theringer.com/lebron-james-l...t-cb530026641e

We already know that LeBron James could leave Cleveland after next season, but for Bill Simmons, it’s a near certainty. He explained how he sees it all going down on the latest episode of The Bill Simmons Podcast. And his theory involves a lot more people than just LeBron James.

“I do genuinely, honestly, truly believe LeBron will be on the Lakers next year,” Simmons begins. “I think that’s how this is going to play out.”
    The first piece of evidence: The Cavs are still in win-now mode.
    “[LeBron] has not committed long term to the Cleveland Cavaliers,” Simmons says. “Everything they’re doing is kind of short term, win-now, fix-it stuff. They tried to shop Kyrie for help. They claim they didn’t, but they did. They shopped Kevin Love all over the place. I think they’re stuck with this year’s team.”

Second piece: He already delivered on his promise to bring a title to Cleveland.
    “And win or lose, he brought Cleveland a title,” Simmons says. “He has an out. He can finish his career in Los Angeles.”
    There are a bunch of other reasons why LeBron might move to L.A.
    “His business is here, as we’ve discussed, his family has a giant house here, as we’ve discussed,” Simmons says. “And most important, they have a ton of cap space.”
    But that’s only the beginning. Simmons sees a much bigger picture that could come together.

“What if I told you that 12 months from now, LeBron James, Paul George, John Wall, and Boogie Cousins will all be on the Los Angeles Lakers together?” he says. “Conspiracy Bill has some things that he doesn’t like about what’s going on. I think the LeBron James–[to]-L.A. [story], he hasn’t come out and denied it. Everyone’s talking about it in the league, it became public last month. He knows they’re talking about it and hasn’t said anything. Hasn’t said, ‘This is ridiculous. I’m so tired of hearing this. I want to finish my career in Cleveland.’”
    Plus, Los Angeles gives LeBron the best foundation for life off the court.

“[LeBron] came home, he brought them a title. He did an incredible amount of stuff with the scholarships in Akron and the college program. He’s amazing. It’s an unassailable resume if he leaves now. ‘I did my best, we spent a lot of money, and now I’m going to finish my career in Los Angeles and I’m going to try to become a billionaire.’ And I think that’s where this goes. I think he’s going to say, ‘My idols are Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan. I believe I’m on the same level as those guys, and part of having an awesome career is the career after the career, and that’s what I’m starting to think about. I want to own an NBA team. I want to be a media mogul, I want to be a billionaire, and to do all this I have to be in L.A., and I’m going to go there now.’”

Wait a second. Back up. LeBron, Paul George, John Wall, and DeMarcus Cousins on the Lakers. Really? Here’s why Simmons thinks it could happen:
    “Here’s the interesting part,” Simmons says. “So, John Wall, represented by Klutch — Rich Paul — LeBron’s buddy. LeBron, it’s pretty clear he either owns Klutch or funded it or has a stake in it. You could have John Wall and LeBron. Paul George is going to the Lakers anyway. I mean, that’s not even a secret anymore. It’s just like, they might as well start selling his jersey. And I always thought John Wall and Boogie are a team.”

It’s true that Cousins isn’t represented by Klutch or Rich Paul, but he has been friends with John Wall since their Kentucky days.
    “I feel like 2018, I think that summer they’re like, ‘We’re a package deal,’” Simmons says. “So they go to L.A. If [the Lakers] can get rid of the Luol Deng contract, use first-round picks [in a deal] just to get rid of them. I don’t think they’d have to use Brandon Ingram. The market for getting rid of a contract is a first-round pick at this point. So you have Lonzo under contract and Ingram, which is about, I don’t know, $11, $12 million combined.”

That could be enough cap space for all four guys, depending on where the ceiling is set and how they divvy up the money.
    “Maybe like $96 million [in space] for the four guys,” Simmons says. “LeBron takes less. LeBron takes $20 because they secretly promise him 2 percent of the team after he retires. He’ll make up the money. $20 million, so he leaves, let’s say, $75 million for the other three. They split it up, $25 million a piece. And the 2018 Lakers — John Wall, LeBron, Paul George, Brandon Ingram, Boogie, and Lonzo off the bench. That’s something.”

Man, if this truly happens, I believe the NBA will have a BIG problem!
    Sittin on top of the world!

Default Re: Why Bill Simmons Thinks LeBron Is L.A.-Bound Next Summer (And James won’t be alone. Paul George, John Wall, and even DeMarcus Cousins could join him.)

Easy to make a prediction like this. If it somehow comes true, he looks like a genius, if it doesn't - which it won't no one remembers.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default Re: Why Bill Simmons Thinks LeBron Is L.A.-Bound Next Summer (And James won’t be alone. Paul George, John Wall, and even DeMarcus Cousins could join him.)

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Easy to make a prediction like this. If it somehow comes true, he looks like a genius, if it doesn't - which it won't no one remembers.
    Of course, but there seems to be some teeth to it , though this is the first I heard about John Wall wanting to play in LA
    Sittin on top of the world!

Lurker of the Year Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Lebron and PG teaming up in LA is certainly possible, but Simmon's blather here is basically a mixture of things we already knew and baseless speculation he's pulling out of his ***. The whole Cousins/Wall angle is total BS, and no, these guys aren't taking a 50% paycut to team up in LA. That's ridiculous.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

This could be the thing that makes me quit watching the NBA.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Handoverfist For This Useful Post:

Mood

*flags as spam*
    Lifelong pacers fan

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pacers_heath For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Bill Simmons always puts out these half-brained concoctions and calls them a certainty. Seriously, 4 stars taking pay cuts? Is Russ going to give up 70 million dollars? I don't think so.I can see PG and Lebron going. But to throw in Wall and Boogie...wow. I think it is more likely that Lebron takes a pay cut (although I think he wants a 40 million deal like Steph), PG is signed for a full contract, Chris Paul comes for under 20 million, Melo for under 20 million. Or Lebron, Russ, PG, and LMA taking a big pay cut with Lebron.

Or this. Durant gets his max, PG gets his, and Lebron and Chris Paul takes a pay cut. Don't think that Wade is out of the equation for any of these super teams.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    Bill Simmons always puts out these half-brained concoctions and calls them a certainty.
    This.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

I enjoyed the NBA better when players on opposing teams didn't like each other. These aren't games anymore - they're 'friendlies' ............

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

I am 99% certain that Paul George and LeBron will team up with the Lakers next summer. I think another star will probably join them but I don't know who. To add 2 more stars, I don't see it but the way the league is going, it wouldn't surprise me.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to sav For This Useful Post:

Be interesting to see if Lebron really takes a pay cut. He hasn't ever, so I don't see him doing that now. Lakers have to do some serious salary trimming to get Lebron [35%] and PG [30%] to start with.

If the Lakers have an under the table arrangement with Lebron, I hope he gets something in writing. Otherwise , he plays for chump change and when he's finished playing and shows up for his cut, the Lakers just look at him an go 'What deal?'. Once he can't play anymore, he is just a guy to the ownership class.

It's been my strong assumption that PG, LeBron and Boogie are headed for LA. I don't know about Wall.

I don't really see a foreseeable way LA can add 3 max free agents next offseason, they are going to have to struggle to clear room to just add two (probably need to dump Clarkson). That Deng contract isn't going to be easy to move.

Now, trading for a third star is much more likely. At that point you attach your young asset's to the Deng contract to match salary, if they sign Lebron and PG, this will be the way they add a third guy.

- ilive4sports

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    Be interesting to see if Lebron really takes a pay cut. He hasn't ever, so I don't see him doing that now.
    Thats not true.

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2010/07/10/...-on-the-table/

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

The funny part is Golden State would still beat that team.

Mood

I disagree with Simmons, but I truly think that there is a super-team in the mix...I just think it's going to be even bigger than anyone is willing to report....

My theory is that it will start out with Lebron heading to LA, and finishing out his career there. PG will head to LA to play cleanup for Lebron, and will be the first player to sign on to ride Lebron's coattails to a title. Here's where I see this going a bit crazy....I truly think that CP3 AND Melo sign in LA for a discount, just so both of them can stop chasing that ring, and I still don't think that Dwyane Wade is out of the mix yet either.

All these contracts line up perfectly.... PG and Lebron both turn down Player Options, Carmelo uses his Early Termination Option, CP3 and Wade will already be UFA....Wade is the one that I am not sold on, but I still see being a part of this somehow. Wade will be 36, Melo and Lebron will be 34, and CP3 will be 33...I can see them all wanting to finish their careers with a blaze of glory on a super-team that would be practically unstoppable. PG at just 28 would be the young star on the team once the others were gone.

Between PG, Lebron, CP3, and Melo, they currently make a little over $102M, and if it is true that the Lakers could have almost $96M in cap space, this is absolutely doable. Sign Lebron to a front weighted contract, and PG to a rear weighted contract, and get CP3 and Melo for a couple years at $18M-$20M each.

Don't worry about the rest of the roster....Plenty of players would sign vet minimums just to play with that group and get that ring....And if you think any team owner would refuse to hit the Luxury Tax to make that team happen, you're just plum crazy....

Call me crazy, but this is what I see happening....

Quote Originally Posted by brownjake43 View Post
    The funny part is Golden State would still beat that team.
    A team with Lonzo, LeBron, Boogie and Paul? Along with all the other pieces LA is bound to have at their disposal? Maybe but only if 3 point shooting is all that matters in the NBA...which may well be true.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Bill Simmons in a nutshell.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

The fact that this is even remotely possible is proof that the current CBA is a massive failure.

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    The fact that this is even remotely possible is proof that the current CBA is a massive failure.
    A massive failure only to small market teams. NBAPA has so much power it's incredible. The problem is the owners are seeing highest-ever team valuations, so it's not likely to change anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    A team with Lonzo, LeBron, Boogie and Paul? Along with all the other pieces LA is bound to have at their disposal? Maybe but only if 3 point shooting is all that matters in the NBA...which may well be true.
    There is only one ball and it benefits the team that keeps moving it if they have players equal to the opposing team. Warriors will keep moving the ball and will score 3 more often than the team mentioned.

At this time the guys who will have the ball in their hands when the ball isnt in a constant movement also favors the Warriors. Curry > Wall with the ball, Durant by that time may have passed Lebron with the ball. PG and Cousins are better players than Klay and Draymond - but they arent better role players (and i am not sure if its even close). PG wont be making a ton of plays on that team - and Klay is the better shooter and probably an equal defender. Draymond is a much better defender than Boogie.

End of day, both teams would have trouble stopping each other, but 3>2 every time. Not to mention the Warriors will have a ton of time played together at that point.

Edit: As everyone knows on this board, throwing talent together on the court isnt necessarily going to win you games, especially against a team like the Warriors who can nearly match any amount of talent you throw at them AND have pieces that fit perfectly together in the system they have.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There's nobody in the history of sports that's been more wrong than Bill Simmons. And that list includes Skip Bayless and Colin Cowherd

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    There's nobody in the history of sports that's been more wrong than Bill Simmons. And that list includes Skip Bayless and Colin Cowherd

35. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

PG13 and Lebron in LaLaLand?

Thanks Captain Obvious.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Welllllllll...technically, anything is possible. The key to this is that the players would have to take massive pay cuts. I don't see that happening.

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?