Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Kevin Pritchard won the most important offseason in franchise history

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Default How Kevin Pritchard won the most important offseason in franchise history

http://8points9seconds.com/2017/07/1...won-offseason/

With his back against the wall and the franchise turned upside down, Kevin Pritchard delivered.

Of all the teams with the most to lose in free agency, Kevin Pritchard and the Pacers were at or near the top of the list. As bad as that sounds, Indy was still in a position to be a top team in the East next season.

Then, it happened. Maybe the most talented player to ever don the blue and gold wanted out.

After numerous conversations with the face of the franchise on how to improve for next season Paul George decided he was ready for a change of scenery. Not only that, but PG also chose to let the league know that he wanted to be in Los Angeles after next year.

All of these factors played a role in what Pritchard could hope to receive in a potential deal.

The media was largely shocked with the decision to send George to Oklahoma City. Many of them mocked Indy for it. I understand that, as of now, Victor Oladipo and Domontas Sabonis are not of equal value to a top-15 player. But, the reason Pritchard made this deal is for the potential in these two young players.

Once the second pick in the 2013 draft from right here in Indiana, Victor Oladipo is an underrated get for the Pacers. Not only has the talented guard already flashed All-Star potential on both ends of the floor. Although he has not been a go-to option just yet, Oladipo can be a 20 ppg scorer as soon as next year. The comparisons to Dwyane Wade have all but evaporated, but at 25 years of age, the best is definitely yet to come for Oladipo.

The other player in this deal was the 11th pick from Gonzaga, Domantas Sabonis. Despite not posting huge numbers, Sabonis was a starter for most of the season with the sixth seed Thunder. Domantas projects as the perfect partner for Myles Turner in the front-court. He is surprisingly skilled for a 6-foot-10 power forward and should be able to hold his own and help Myles on the boards with good strength and will. Not to mention at only 21 years of age these two bigs should grow together for years to come.

Under the radar veteran signings should prove to be incredibly important in the upcoming season

From there, Pritchard was not done with his savvy under-appreciated transactions. Indy chose to let Jeff Teague walk and replaced him with a former Pacer, Darren Collison. Collison is a very solid veteran who has been in Indy before. Not only was the familiarity there but Pritchard also got Collison on a short two-year, $20 million contract.
    The other really nice signing was to get Bojan Bogdanovic. Another short deal, this time two-years and $21 million. These contracts are perfect: short, cheap deals for veteran players who can be starters or key pieces on a good bench. These deals provide the flexibility to keep cap space for years to come as well as preserve trade value on good players.

The most recent move was also impressive by Pritchard. It was clear after signing the Bosnian forward that Indy had decided to move on from fan favorite C.J Miles. This cleared a path for a sign-and-trade sending Miles to Toronto for another good cheap veteran, Cory Joseph. A former first-rounder out of Texas, Joseph should be a nice young piece for the Pacers as he finishes out the prime of his career.

Where do Pritchard and the Pacers go from here?

Probably the most optimistic view wrote on the subject (although had to laugh at the bolded part)

HE does make a couple decent points though
    Although I really like Thaddeus Young as a player, trading him should be the next step in this rebuild. The only possible problem I could see Indy running into is being too good. I know that sounds unrealistic, but the Pacers now look like a deep, young group that could pose problems for teams in a weak Eastern Conference. Missing out on a top 10 pick would hurt their effort of adding a young star to an already talented core.
    Sittin on top of the world!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Default Re: How Kevin Pritchard won the most important offseason in franchise history

I disagree that trading Thaddeus Young is a good move. He proved his value guarding LeBron somewhat respectably. Ask Bojangles to do that and see what happens.

Lance can probably guard him some. But we really need Thad. I don't think GRIII has was it takes for that type of assignment.

Edit: BTW, this 8pts9Seconds web site is just cuddling up to the Pacers. I bet Montieth works there now.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Default Re: How Kevin Pritchard won the most important offseason in franchise history

8points9seconds brought to you by Pacers.com
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Slow that train down.

The offseason's not a complete disaster, which it would have been if PG left for nothing. But it's not "winning" if you don't win.
    This space for rent.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Didn't love the acquisition of Oladipo and Sabonis as well as the FA signing of Collison.

However, acquiring Cory Jospeh and signing Bojan were nice.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PaulGeorgeForPresident For This Useful Post:

Now, I forget the founder's name of that site. Is he still affiliated? Does he still post here?
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

This season is for Travis ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It certainly isn't a win, but he's setting himself up for one in a couple years and that's about all you can ask for right now.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree that we should keep Thad. We will need his defense because BB will get lit up.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    8points9seconds brought to you by Pacers.com
    It seems the original owner of the web site, who used to post here, must have sold rights to the URL. Can someone confirm? The dude used to post here and had BillS level snarkiness. if IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomBaby33 View Post
    I agree that we should keep Thad. We will need his defense because BB will get lit up.
    Need his defense for what, the Finals?

The author considers Corey Joseph as a veteran who is near the tail end of his prime, but Oladipo's best years are yet to come. They're both the same age.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 3rdStrike For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    It seems the original owner of the web site, who used to post here, must have sold rights to the URL. Can someone confirm? The dude used to post here and had BillS level snarkiness. if IIRC.
    Jayredd I believe was his handle here and I'm pretty sure he does not post here anymore. Like a lot of them went the way of twitter when it took off a few years back. Good guy and nowhere near the level of snark that Bills has, but that would be inconceivable seeing as how his is legendary.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Jayredd I believe was his handle here and I'm pretty sure he does not post here anymore. Like a lot of them went the way of twitter when it took off a few years back. Good guy and nowhere near the level of snark that Bills has, but that would be inconceivable seeing as how his is legendary.
    Yes, that is a rare gift we get to witness. It's like Picasso level snark. I always wondered what the S stood for in BillS.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I'm hoping we trade Thad for something, but if not, no biggie. I think he's super underrated and obviously a great locker room guy for the youngins. I agree he'll come in handy against all these star forwards. We're definitely a better team with him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Yeah, Jay Redd. His name was Jared Wade. He was actually a good poster for quite a while.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to GizzyStardust For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I disagree that trading Thaddeus Young is a good move. He proved his value guarding LeBron somewhat respectably. Ask Bojangles to do that and see what happens.

Lance can probably guard him some. But we really need Thad. I don't think GRIII has was it takes for that type of assignment.
    I do agree that Thad can guard LeBron somewhat respectably but why is this important right now? We're not aiming for the playoffs this season. We're aiming to do a serious push two years down the road.

Edit: If we can get something that helps us in that direction for Thad then we should totally do it. Of course, these type of moves (veteran for a young player) usually happen at the trade deadline when a contender feels that they are a small piece away from making noise and they're willing to give up a young player to do that so trading Thad right now is not imperative.
    Last edited by Nuntius; 07-12-2017 at 04:22 AM.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    Empty vessels make the most noise.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

So in reality world Kevin Pritchard is the one who traded Danny starting the **** show that led to the most talented player in Pacers (NBA) history wanting out. Bird also bears a ton of the blame for this, dont get me wrong I am not excusing him, he is the one who **** all over Hibbert and pissed David West off enough to walk away from 10 million dollars just so he did not have to play for Larry Bird any more.

Lets not forget we traded Kawhi Leonard for George Hill who we then traded for Teague who we then let walk. This again is part of the shitshow PG and GH were tight, they lived next door to each other, they drove to practice together, they spent their down time fishing together and we just shipped him out for a one year rental.

We lost this summer gradually over the last few years. Yeah we got some young players who might improve but to say we won the summer is absurd.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Jared is a talented writer but this piece is weird. This doesn't seem like his stuff.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Yeah Jared no longer works for that blog. He works for financecolombia.com. He is their editor.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    ............... but to say we won the summer is absurd.
    To look at everything thru the rearview mirror is just as absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    So in reality world Kevin Pritchard is the one who traded Danny starting the **** show that led to the most talented player in Pacers (NBA) history wanting out. Bird also bears a ton of the blame for this, dont get me wrong I am not excusing him, he is the one who **** all over Hibbert and pissed David West off enough to walk away from 10 million dollars just so he did not have to play for Larry Bird any more.

Lets not forget the Pacers received George Hill in trade for the pick that the Spurs used to select Kawhi Leonard, who we then traded for Teague who we then let walk. This again is part of the shitshow PG and GH were tight, they lived next door to each other, they drove to practice together, they spent their down time fishing together and we just shipped him out for a one year rental.

We lost this summer gradually over the last few years. Yeah we got some young players who might improve but to say we won the summer is absurd.
    Fixed. Why people seem to insist that the Pacers would have drafted Kawhi Leonard is mind boggling to me.
    "THIS IS MY CITY."- PAUL GEORGE

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to perryb85 For This Useful Post:

Because they would have?

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

JayRedd was a great member of the forum. Very bright, sharp biting wit.

The guy who joined him at 8.9 seconds was another story ... The Count. He drove me a bit crazy. Used all these stats to come at you with an intimidating kind of smart. But his overall macro ideas were dumb ... like keeping JOB.

JayRedd was much smarter than that guy.
    "Look, it's up to me to put a team around ... Lance right now." —Kevin Pritchard press conference

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    Because they would have?

Look at the why the trade went down in the first place. The WHOLE reason the Pacers traded that pick is to get a point guard. If they didn't make the trade, they were going to pick a point guard.
    "THIS IS MY CITY."- PAUL GEORGE

40. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to perryb85 For This Useful Post:

This is waaaaay too soon.

Honestly, I haven't been a big fan of most of Pritchard's moves this offseason. And if that rumor of him trying to convince Paul to stay by getting Holiday and Gallo is true...woof.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Almost assumed Monteith wrote this article

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post: