Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Pistons player you want on the Pacers ?

Zesty

Default Re: The Pistons player you want on the Pacers ?

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ben would be the most useful, but then I'd have to burn myself.
    LOL I could not have put that better myself.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BabbleOn
    This HAS been a difficult year for the Pistons and their fans. Indiana definitely had a worse year, a tragic year. Still, that doesn't mean Detroit didn't have a hard year. Let me explain:

So many things changed from last year. For instance, it's exhausting -- just as a fan -- to have every team playing their best basketball against your team night in, night out. Suddenly, there's no such thing as an upset unless your team loses.

Plus, the Pistons didn't look hungry for months. It's understandable, they barely had any time off. When the season started, it was hard to get excited. You're still thinking about last year and the great triumph it was, when suddenly there's a new mountain to climb, only this one's more challenging. And without the thrill of the playoffs - the Finals, specifically - November games just don't mean anything. Add to that a cast of new teammates and an emptiness where Corliss and Memo and Mike James used to sit (let alone Mike Woodson and Herb Brown).

And the league changed so much and so fast. Shaq in Miami, TMac down in Houston, the New Super Phoenix. Former foes were vanquished (Lakers, Nets). It was disorienting.

The defensive rules changed. It felt like they weren't allowed to do anything they did the year before. Constant whistles. Teams were getting 100 points frequently. It felt like the league offices were handcuffing us, because who wants a boring champion?

Larry Brown came into the season as an Olympic failure, which seemed to steal some of his vitality. Then he went in for surgery. We started losing. Gar Heard looked afraid. We all felt frustrated.

Ben's brother died. He took a leave, and we lost some more. When he returned, he seemed sad and unfocused.

Then our main rival came to town for the first time. They laid a great game on us, devastating an already frustrated team. Ben pushed Ron. Ron laid down. Someone threw a cup. Etc.

After that, something was clearly missing. Larry started bad mouthing everything. The Pistons seemed reluctant to play with heart. In the blink of an eye, they went from being America's Underdog to "Everything that's wrong with the NBA." It affected the team's psyche, even though Ben was the only Piston who did anything wrong.

And another thing, the Pistons developed a very bad habit: they started spotting their opponents 20 point leads halfway through a game. What followed was almost a nightly chase during the 3rd and 4th quarters. It got to the point where a 20 point deficit didn't seem so deep a hole. If that's not an indication that something wasn't right in their brains....

Larry started talking about New York. And he said his health wasnít good enough. Rumors said he was losing his team.

Meanwhile, the youngsters were running away with the game. The Suns, Heat, Bulls, Cavs, so forth, were becoming the darlings of the league.

But hereís the biggest thing of all. No matter what they say, Iím telling you that the Pistons have been grappling since last June over whether they truly are champions, or if they are just the fluke team that happened to catch LA and Indiana and New Jersey at just the right times. Losing twice to the Bobcats, once to the Hawks, losing in Phoenix and Seattle, losing twice at home to Indiana, on and on, itís been at the back of their minds, if only subconsciously.

And now, after being down three series in a row, to have one last chance to prove our worth, we can all look back and remember what a long, hard year it has been.
    Very nice, I also like how you didn't describe the brawl as when, "The evil tyrant Ron Artest ran into the stands and started beating a man to death" Like most Piston fans see in their eyes. Though, not many here.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Quote Originally Posted by BabbleOn
    And without the thrill of the playoffs - the Finals, specifically - November games just don't mean anything.
    How could 11/19 not mean anything to the Pistons' players? They had a game against their top rivals from the year previous. I'm not living in the past, but please don't trivialize your team's sound thumping that night (during the game).

Now, if that wasn't your intention, then I apologize. Great post by the way (except for that one part that I may have misunderstood).
    "If I have the ball, I will shoot it, you have to believe that," - Stephen Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by PHC Fan
    How could 11/19 not mean anything to the Pistons' players? They had a game against their top rivals from the year previous. I'm not living in the past, but please don't trivialize your team's sound thumping that night (during the game).

Now, if that wasn't your intention, then I apologize. Great post by the way (except for that one part that I may have misunderstood).

He's not trvializing it when he says this about it!

"Then our main rival came to town for the first time. They laid a great game on us, devastating an already frustrated team. Ben pushed Ron. Ron laid down. Someone threw a cup. Etc."

foretaz

ben.....bens like artest....if hes on another team u, more than likely, dont care for him....if hes on ur team, u love him....hes strong, he rebounds and defends like a monster....put him next to jo and ron in the front court and wow....

with every word that comes out of billups' mouth, i find myself liking him a lil less...

pistons are our brothers

Zesty

Maybe the brother that everyone hopes doesn't show up at family functions because he thinks he's better than everyone and no one can really stand him.