Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul George On OKC, The Trade, And KD's Advice

Default Re: Paul George On OKC, The Trade, And KD's Advice

Hearing PG talk about Russ, sounds like he knows that he didn't need help as much as he needed to go help someone else.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I generally take everything he says with a huge grain of salt, but of this was pretty interesting. I hope he stays in OKC.
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why? It wouldn't have made a difference. Everybody knows why he'd go to the Lakers. He even said why in the interview.
    Perception.

One statement lets teams know that he was willing to stay if they have a great season. The original statements made it sound like that NO MATTER WHAT the outcome of the season was, he was going to LA.

Which scenario do you think teams are more willing to take a risk on?

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Seems clear to me that PG wasn't impressed with Pritchard's offseason plan. He may have acted like he liked his ideas at the same, sort of when you get a bad Christmas gift but still have to act like you really like it from your aunt, but the timing seems like he didn't think it was enough.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Let's play a game. I'm just curious what some of you think.

Based on the what happened thus far this past offseason, do you think certain trades/signings don't happen if the "LA thing was overstated"? My first thought goes to Boston, but I don't think Ainge would have upped the ante. On the same coin, Tantum looked GOOD in SL. So good that I feel a Tantum/PG swap would have been a fair trade. I think Ainge would be a fool to give him up now. HOWEVER, I will subscribe to the theory that KP would have traded PG to the WC as his first preference. His current signings indicate that he wants Indiana to be competing and in the playoffs in 2-3 years easily, so I don't think he wants Indiana to go against a juggernaut he created.

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

'He cannot fathom the outpouring that awaits him when he touches down in Oklahoma City. “I’ve heard there might be people, like, at the airport,” he says'

I might be misremembering, but didn't some of you nice folks meet the Pacers at the airport after a playoff series? He shouldn't be too shocked....

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZepZach For This Useful Post:

One of the following is true.

The LA thing was overstated, and Paul and his agent screwed the Pacers over by not rectifying this.

or

The LA thing wasn't overstated, and Paul is telling a bold faced lie.
    "THIS IS MY CITY."- PAUL GEORGE

14. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to perryb85 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Mood

I don't know how people can possibly believe that PG (either himself or through his agent) never said "Lakers or bust." What, did every other GM in the league suddenly decide he wasnt worth any assets? Did KP suddenly switch gears from "try to build around PG" to "OH MY GOSH, WE'RE HAVING A FIRE...sale" on a wild hair? There's waaaaaaaaaay too much smoke for there to be no fire just because PG says "Nah, fam" no that he's in OKC.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iogyhufi For This Useful Post:

Undefeated

What is PG supposed to say? The article is the usual player BS, and that's fine. Paul's not going to ***** about his new team, and Lee Jenkins was just writing a fluff piece with no meat to it.
    Danger Zone

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If PG signs anywhere but the Lakers next year I'm going to be so mad. If he re-signs with OKC I'm going to be ticked because we didnt get a single pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Why you Grimpin?

Notice how high the bar he set for what the Thunder has to accomplish this season for him to stay. "If we make the conference finals, beat Golden State."

And it does sound like he know someone is going to LA with him next season

21. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BornIndy07 For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by perryb85 View Post

The LA thing was overstated, and Paul and his agent screwed the Pacers over by not rectifying this.

or

Or the LA thing isn't overstated, and he just told all the elite 2018 FA's to go sign with LA and he will too. That is one heck of a sales pitch right there.
    Garbage players get 1st round picks, (WTF)! All of the NBA must hate the Pacers! LOL

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by freddielewis14 View Post
    He also say that he wants to win and his interest in LA is overstated. You telling me that wouldn't have been a better statement than the rental until LA narrative???
    Sure, in a vacuum it's a better statement, and it doesn't hurt in any scenario.

But I'm sure teams have a good idea that players are bolting for the Lakers next offseason. There were salary concerns too, but people are turning down the Cavaliers GM job over "personnel concerns" aka LeBron is leaving.

What Paul did with his recent statement, I'm assuming by accident, is signal what it'd take for him to sign with the Lakers. It's actually a savvy move that businesses use to avoid collusion charges.
    Last edited by imawhat; 07-11-2017 at 10:31 AM.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Paul George -----> #mastermind
    Garbage players get 1st round picks, (WTF)! All of the NBA must hate the Pacers! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    George has discovered in the past several months what Durant and LeBron James already knew about superstar defections.
    this sentence tells everything you need to know about pg.

idiot thinks he is a superstar like durant and lebron.

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to xtacy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by KingGeorge_24 View Post
    If PG signs anywhere but the Lakers next year I'm going to be so mad. If he re-signs with OKC I'm going to be ticked because we didnt get a single pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I hope he does stay with OKC. It's a win for a small market team (even if it isn't us) and a huge, gigantic fail for Magic Johnson, who will be just another Laker loser in the front office. Please let both Ainge and Magic look like fools, Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by BornIndy07 View Post
    Notice how high the bar he set for what the Thunder has to accomplish this season for him to stay. "If we make the conference finals, beat Golden State."

And it does sound like he know someone is going to LA with him next season

Making conference finals sounds reasonable tbh. Beating GS not so much, but he didn't make that a mandate. I felt like he set his goals low, I mean real winners don't say "I wanna make it to the second round," they say "I want to win a ring!"

I guess GS really has everybody shook. As for people going to LA, I'll believe it when I see it. Lebron gonna give up the max money he'd get next season to make much less in LA and then with the Cali tax too? To be in the same conference as the Warriors, when he has a free path to the Finals with Cleveland? Time to put that conspiracy to bed.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to 3rdStrike For This Useful Post:

I think the ONE thing that PG did that will be a long term benefit for the organization is he let it be known that bringing in B-tier players just doesn't excite A-tier players. The lesson has been given, so the next time the Pacers land an A-tier talent, they need to go all in for another, instead of the cute complementary piece route they have attempted since, well, forever.

32. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 3rdStrike For This Useful Post:

I made it to this line "He adored Monta Ellis, for instance"

and then couldn't stop laughing.

34. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Also, he still couldn't resist talking about the circumstances that would lead him to LA, which are certainly possible next summer.

If the shoe was still on our foot, and he was a Pacer talking about the circumstances that would lead him to LA, that would not make me feel comfortable.

36. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by perryb85 View Post

or

He's just not telling the full truth IMO. A lie of omission which is pretty standard for athletes talking about their future in general.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Here is what we do know.
    George did say that he intended to join the Lakers, and told the Pacers via his agent that he did not intend to sign any extension with the Team.

KP said that he asked for a trade via his agent.....KP also said on the JMV show "we can't be OKC and lose him for nothing like Durant, we gotta trade this guy now"

George is also saying that the LA angle is overstated, which is the same common sense we have all said all along....IE why would he go to LA and play with a bunch of kids unless the team started forming in Free Agency or at the trade deadline.

KP is also admitted that he never talked PG once the news broke, and that he found out about his intensions through the media leaks and then from his agent 2nd.
    If you are KP and you get wind of this after you had positive meeting with PG just a week prior. Why aren't you on the phone to confirm what you have heard. Agents say **** and they say that **** because they can always back track and say my client decided differently. Pretty sure the Agent had been in talks with LA about trading for Paul so that he can lock up the 5th year raise. More money for the agent!

Is Paul a wishy washy immature dude? yeah I think so, but he isn't the type to shy way from talking either, he probably would have told KP to try and trade him so its not a Durant situation. KP never reached out to Paul after the news broke.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    I guess GS really has everybody shook. As for people going to LA, I'll believe it when I see it. Lebron gonna give up the max money he'd get next season to make much less in LA and then with the Cali tax too? To be in the same conference as the Warriors, when he has a free path to the Finals with Cleveland? Time to put that conspiracy to bed.
    I guess LeBron is going to keep racking up those finals losses then

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    I think the ONE thing that PG did that will be a long term benefit for the organization is he let it be known that bringing in B-tier players just doesn't excite A-tier players. The lesson has been given, so the next time the Pacers land an A-tier talent, they need to go all in for another, instead of the cute complementary piece route they have attempted since, well, forever.

Well that is totally on Larry Bird and Simon. They chose to sign old guys who are past their primes. Bird retooled the team every season for the last 3 years with a bunch of complementary players. He should have had a more deliberate plan to get a 2nd true all-star player.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Default Paul George On OKC, The Trade, And KD's Advice

This article pretty much summarizes the differences between a Batman and a Robin. A Batman looks to build the bat cave and lead the fight against evil, and Robin looks to join the fray.

We were never going to have a Batman in Paul, so it was time to part ways. He needed to help the FO recruit good players to work alongside him, he needed to play balls out and create the momentum of a title contender, etc etc. That was not worth a 200+ million contract to a small market team.

He thinks he's done everything he needed to do. He didn't. I think there's a good shot he could have his Batman in Westbrook.

Now, the question for us becomes: do we have our Batman in Turner or Oladipo? I'm not talking about the best player on the floor as much as I am true leadership and the centerpiece of team building.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

45. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    Here is what we do know.
    George did say that he intended to join the Lakers, and told the Pacers via his agent that he did not intend to sign any extension with the Team.

KP said that he asked for a trade via his agent.....KP also said on the JMV show "we can't be OKC and lose him for nothing like Durant, we gotta trade this guy now"

George is also saying that the LA angle is overstated, which is the same common sense we have all said all along....IE why would he go to LA and play with a bunch of kids unless the team started forming in Free Agency or at the trade deadline.

KP is also admitted that he never talked PG once the news broke, and that he found out about his intensions through the media leaks and then from his agent 2nd.
    If you are KP and you get wind of this after you had positive meeting with PG just a week prior. Why aren't you on the phone to confirm what you have heard. Agents say **** and they say that **** because they can always back track and say my client decided differently. Pretty sure the Agent had been in talks with LA about trading for Paul so that he can lock up the 5th year raise. More money for the agent!

Is Paul a wishy washy immature dude? yeah I think so, but he isn't the type to shy way from talking either, he probably would have told KP to try and trade him so its not a Durant situation. KP never reached out to Paul after the news broke.
    KP doesn't seem like the type of GM to hear such news through the media, and not make an attempt to contact Paul George or his agent immediately. Personally, I interpreted the entire situation as PG and his agent not returning calls.

47. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post: