Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul George On OKC, The Trade, And KD's Advice

Default Re: Paul George On OKC, The Trade, And KD's Advice

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm starting to wonder whether Pacers should've gone all in and flipped Turner for an all-star to pair with PG given these latest comments.
    Loved PG and his game while he was here but I don't think he was ever gonna stay no matter what was done outside of LBJ or Durant coming to Indy and we know the answer to that. He really wasn't playing like he had in the past and I for one would rather watch a team of guys bust their *** every night and put forth the effort than watch a much more talented player who all the sudden thinks he's owed something and acts like he's to big for Indy good luck PG you now have all that attention you crave but this team will survive

2. The Following User Says Thank You to granger4mvp For This Useful Post:

Oh I forgot to talk about the part about him adoring Monta, where the haters at?
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    PG has the ability to talk out of both sides of his mouth. But if I'm Magic, I'm worried.
    Why?

Its not as if they gave up anything for Paul or plan to for that matter. I mean people think he's second rate anyways so why would anyone be surprised if Magic thinks the same?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am salty that PG left but wish him well in his new situation. Pritchard's retooling plan was apparently underwhelming to him, but at least Pritchard was being honest that he couldn't build a contender next year. BIRD basically put the team in an untenable situation and is a major reason for PG's departure IMO.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Also if you want to convince PG that you want to win a championship you don't hire Nate Mcsucking.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    Sounds like you're on the wrong street. I'm pretty sure the general consensus on the forum was that he mailed it in during the first half of the season.

Isn't that what I said though

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

I wonder if Magic will get skewered if LA rolls a big fatter gutter ball in free agency next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Why?

Its not as if they gave up anything for Paul or plan to for that matter. I mean people think he's second rate anyways so why would anyone be surprised if Magic thinks the same?
    Because the reason Magic didn't give up anything for Paul is he's positive PG is signing there in FA. If he doesn't sign there, Magic would be wishing he would've traded for him.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Oh I forgot to talk about the part about him adoring Monta, where the haters at?
    Or, now we can pin those bunk-*** FA signings on PG and not Bird, maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    Because the reason Magic didn't give up anything for Paul is he's positive PG is signing there in FA. If he doesn't sign there, Magic would be wishing he would've traded for him.
    Unless they manage to get a player better than PG to come to LA instead....

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

https://sports.yahoo.com/paul-george...145823979.html

He addressed the scuttlebutt head-on for the first time since his trade to Oklahoma City in an interview with Sports Illustrated’s Lee Jenkins, and his take is that the Lakers talk has been “overstated.” Here’s his full quote:

“I grew up a Lakers and a Clippers fan,” George says. “I idolized Kobe. There will always be a tie here, a connection here. People saying I want to come here, who doesn’t want to play for their hometown? That’s a dream come true, if you’re a kid growing up on the outskirts of L.A., to be the man in your city. But it’s definitely been overstated. For me, it’s all about winning. I want to be in a good system, a good team. I want a shot to win it. I’m not a stats guy. I’m playing this game to win and build a legacy of winning. I’ve yet to do that. I’m searching for it. If we get a killer season in Oklahoma, we make the conference finals or upset the Warriors or do something crazy, I’d be dumb to want to leave that.”
    “It’s too early for L.A.,” he says. “It would have to be a situation where the ball gets rolling and guys are hopping on. This guy commits, that guy commits. ‘Oh s—, now there’s a team forming.’ It has to be like that.”
    “I’m in OKC, so hopefully me and Russ do a good enough job and make it to the conference finals and love the situation, why not recruit someone to come build it with us? I’m open in this whole process.”
    I might be trippin but I don't recall reading another piece and seeing the part about PG saying his alleged move to LA was "overstated", could be just fluff, but man if he truly felt that way before, then why the leak of "Lakers or bust" could have had more offers
    Sittin on top of the world!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Mood

Wow... He is SO full of ****.

I'm just so disappointed that I allowed myself to be sucked in by his double speak.

I've always, or almost always, defended Paul here over the years. I felt a HUGE bond as a fan with him because of the injuries he faced. I could relate to that better than almost anyone, and I took pride in his accomplishments and comeback.

But what a ****ing tool he turned out to be... I didn't want to believe it, so I didn't.

Shame on me.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by TMJ31 View Post

I'm just so disappointed that I allowed myself to be sucked in by his double speak.

I've always, or almost always, defended Paul here over the years. I felt a HUGE bond as a fan with him because of the injuries he faced. I could relate to that better than almost anyone, and I took pride in his accomplishments and comeback.

But what a ****ing tool he turned out to be... I didn't want to believe it, so I didn't.

Shame on me.

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    Lol. Appreciate it.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post

Isn't that what I said though
    Oops...I swear read something different. My bad, but my eye appointment is tomorrow though .

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

26. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by TMJ31 View Post

Shame on me.
    Don't trip. I liked him as a player too, and it was a joy to watch him play. Honestly, I'm more mad at how it went down versus him wanting to leave. Players come and go, but I tend to respect players who tend to handle it in a "professional" manner.

Right now, he's saying stuff that a lot of us will feel that he should have said sooner. Real talk...my attachment was 💯 done when he made the tweet regarding the moving truck in front of his house with the hashtag #gullibletothemedia. To me, he called us and anyone who believed he was moving stupid. Like, REALLY dude? That's only tweet you can make amongst all these trade rumors? Truthfully, I could see myself slapping the **** out a Paul George. I really don't like when people try to play me stupid.

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Just one more reason to dislike, well, both of them

32. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    I think the ONE thing that PG did that will be a long term benefit for the organization is he let it be known that bringing in B-tier players just doesn't excite A-tier players. The lesson has been given, so the next time the Pacers land an A-tier talent, they need to go all in for another, instead of the cute complementary piece route they have attempted since, well, forever.
    In general, I agree with your post but I feel the need to make a distinction between what we did during our ECF runs and what we did after that team collapsed.

During our ECF runs we had succeeded in building an amazing starting 5 largely through the draft. What we lacked was a good bench. We tried to retool the bench every year but we failed. We had a plan that got us up to a very good point (the 3-year plan) but we weren't able to get over the top because we couldn't pay enough to acquire enough depth and because we kept facing LeBron at his prime. I'd say that this was a good plan and that A-tier players do tend to stay to teams like that because they're alreadin competing so they have a chance at a ring.

What we did after that ECF team collapsed, though, is a whole different can of worms. We panicked and we stopped considering team fit and chemistry. We simply started throwing **** at the wall hoping it sticks. And it didn't. We had no plan and it showed. When A-tier players see that your team has no plan then they start thinking about greener pastures.

Kevin Pritchard did pitch a plan to Paul George. We will never be exactly sure what that plan was but PG didn't like it. Personally, I believe that if Bird had left a year earlier and Pritchard had the time to get his plan in motion then PG could probably have been convinced to stay. But that's in the past now.

I will also say this. Kevin Pritchard's off-season moves indicate that he does have a new plan. Namely, he intends to build around our young players and have enough cap space two years from now with the hope that a young team that is trending upwards can land a big FA. Will it work? I don't know. I'm just happy that we have a plan, something that this team has sorely missed for a while now. It does look like a good plan to me but we'll have to wait and see.
    Last edited by Nuntius; 07-12-2017 at 11:27 AM. Reason: initially wrote "genral" instead of "general
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    Empty vessels make the most noise.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    This article pretty much summarizes the differences between a Batman and a Robin. A Batman looks to build the bat cave and lead the fight against evil, and Robin looks to join the fray.

We were never going to have a Batman in Paul, so it was time to part ways. He needed to help the FO recruit good players to work alongside him, he needed to play balls out and create the momentum of a title contender, etc etc. That was not worth a 200+ million contract to a small market team.

He thinks he's done everything he needed to do. He didn't. I think there's a good shot he could have his Batman in Westbrook.

Now, the question for us becomes: do we have our Batman in Turner or Oladipo? I'm not talking about the best player on the floor as much as I am true leadership and the centerpiece of team building.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    We had that kind of Batman in Danny Granger. Unfortunately, he never had a Robin. And when he finally got his Robin he got injured and then the FO treated him like ****. The timing was really the worst and Danny's injury will always remain one of the franchise's biggest what ifs.

Panopticon

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    In genral, I agree with your post but I feel the need to make a distinction between what we did during our ECF runs and what we did after that team collapsed.

During our ECF runs we had succeeded in building an amazing starting 5 largely through the draft. What we lacked was a good bench. We tried to retool the bench every year but we failed. We had a plan that got us up to a very good point (the 3-year plan) but we weren't able to get over the top because we couldn't pay enough to acquire enough depth and because we kept facing LeBron at his prime. I'd say that this was a good plan and that A-tier players do tend to stay to teams like that because they're alreadin competing so they have a chance at a ring.

What we did after that ECF team collapsed, though, is a whole different can of worms. We panicked and we stopped considering team fit and chemistry. We simply started throwing **** at the wall hoping it sticks. And it didn't. We had no plan and it showed. When A-tier players see that your team has no plan then they start thinking about greener pastures.

Kevin Pritchard did pitch a plan to Paul George. We will never be exactly sure what that plan was but PG didn't like it. Personally, I believe that if Bird had left a year earlier and Pritchard had the time to get his plan in motion then PG could probably have been convinced to stay. But that's in the past now.

I will also say this. Kevin Pritchard's off-season moves indicate that he does have a new plan. Namely, he intends to build around our young players and have enough cap space two years from now with the hope that a young team that is trending upwards can land a big FA. Will it work? I don't know. I'm just happy that we have a plan, something that this team has sorely missed for a while now. It does look like a good plan to me but we'll have to wait and see.
    I agree. I think Bird got burnt out and stayed a year or two too long. Prichard would likely have made better moves than Bird that would make it easier to keep PG13. Pritchard seems to be doing a good job and should grow the team.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to pta For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by faank View Post
    Very likely the above was happening, Pritchard even hinted at this in his interview with JMV that they were ready to make big offers to two free agents and he even shared the names with Paul. Imagine Paul staying, KP signing these free agents (whoever they might have been) and then Paul inevitably leaving next summer.. We are actually in a lot better position now - thanks to Paul and his agent.

The Pacers are very happy with a 44 win team and beyond ecstatic with a 48-50 win team. They thought that's what PG meant under contending. Problem is he's been around there before and knows that's not enough. Especially today with these powerhouses.

I love the saltiness in the thread by the way. Players should be loyal but if the team cuts or trades a guy that's whatever lol. Good guy Hayward left Utah leaving them in deep trouble but he's such a good guy compared to PG. He did not give ultimatums or requests, just quietly went on and signed with another team. Thanks for everything, Utah, bye! Same for Durant. Thanks for everything, OKC, bye! Again, I don't care about the circumstances and emotions, this is a business and that is about bottom lines.

The thoughts that pop up about Paul not giving KP a chance to build a contender this summer are very amusing. Just to clarify, there was about 0.01% chance for KP to build a real contender this summer with the assets we had. That ship has sailed with Bird's "innovative" moves a few seasons back.
    This x10000, really.

Panopticon

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pta View Post
    I agree. I think Bird got burnt out and stayed a year or two too long. Prichard would likely have made better moves than Bird that would make it easier to keep PG13. Pritchard seems to be doing a good job and should grow the team.
    Yep. At the very least, Pritchard would have formulated a plan and gave the team a direction. Bird just wasn't able to do even that after our collapse.

Panopticon

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    By themselves no but with those two you can add players who will want to play on the same team with them. Plus PG very likely would have stayed with the Pacers.
    It is an interesting proposition.
    Could we afford PG, Jimmy and the players that would want to play on the same team with them, though? Would Simon be willing to pay up?

Panopticon