Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul George On OKC, The Trade, And KD's Advice

Default Re: Paul George On OKC, The Trade, And KD's Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think he's comparing the situations, not the players.
    I think one player being much better than the other, makes the situations quite a bit different. I completely understand the Pacers wanting to keep Turner, considering he's showed more than Hickson ever has at age 20. Will it be the right move, who knows, but I don't think the situations are comparable.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

This OKC team has 0% chance at the finals and about a 15% chance at the conference finals. Since we are in the East that's honestly not far off from our odds if PG stayed and we tried to rebuild a little bit around him.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to brownjake43 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Well, then maybe Paul should have actually been honest with Pritchard rather than just giving him lip service while planning to turn tail.
    It's possible that he was honest, had a change of heart, and his agent leaked before he could talk to PG.

We don't know how the events transpired. I have a theory that fits the entire narrative and leaves every party with only truthful statements/comments.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Obviously the opening salvo to recruiting Russ to LA, sucks for OKC fans. I genuinely hope he stays and OKC becomes my WC team.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

The fact that Durant still speaks well of OKC suggests the class to which the organization handled his departure. Contrast that with Bird badmouthing guys on their way out, ugh.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    And Hickson wasn't nearly as good as Turner. I get what he's saying, but comparing him to Hickson when Turner is the much better prospect makes no sense.
    Hickson averaged 14 and 9 at 22 years of age he looked like the next Amare.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    Obviously the opening salvo to recruiting Russ to LA, sucks for OKC fans. I genuinely hope he stays and OKC becomes my WC team.
    I don't think Paul or Russ stay in OKC past this year. I think it is possible that Paul recruits Russ to the Lakers with him.
    PACER FAN ON STRIKE!!!-The moment the Pacers fire Larry Bird I will cheer for them again.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Hickson averaged 14 and 9 at 22 years of age he looked like the next Amare.
    Turner was doing that and being one of the best shot blockers at age 20... Who knows where he will be in 2 years, the guy could be an All-star next season at age 21!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The fact that Durant still speaks well of OKC suggests the class to which the organization handled his departure. Contrast that with Bird badmouthing guys on their way out, ugh.
    Every starter from the ECF team seemed to leave in some type of controversial manner

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Haven't read any of this thread yet. But I'm sure many are ripping PG.

That was an excellent article, and I;m excited to see what PG and Westbrook can do. And call me what you want, but I believe PG would have stayed with the Pacers if he thought they were close to contending
    Interesting thought....(I know its pretty low chance it would have happened) Lets assume PG let KP know that he wanted to play with Westbrook, (The question is NOT on the slim chance we could have acquired Westbrook, but If we traded for Westbrook, would Paul sign a max contract with the Pacers or still bolt to LA)
    Sittin on top of the world!

Turner was doing that and being one of the best shot blockers at age 20... Who knows where he will be in 2 years, the guy could be an All-star next season at age 21!
    Turner has never averaged 9 RPG, and sure he could be an all star or the next JJ Hickson nobody knows that.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

Honestly I am not sure winning is as important as just playing in LA. Now maybe he already knows who is going to the Lakers after next year. Lebron, Russel and PG WILL beat GS. So maybe he gets his cake and eats it too.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Turner has never averaged 9 RPG, and sure he could be an all star or the next JJ Hickson nobody knows that.
    Hickson averaged about 1 more RPG more than Turner, while averaging about 1 less PPG, while doing that less efficiently (51% vs 45%). All the while being 2 years older than Turner was at the time.

Hickson averaged about 1 more RPG more than Turner, while averaging about 1 less PPG, while doing that less efficiently (51% vs 45%). All the while being 2 years older than Turner was at the time.
    You are kind of making my point.

You are kind of making my point.
    The point is Turner has shown much more promise at this age than Hickson did at the same age, there is real reason for the Pacers to be hesitant to part with him.

I dont fully agree with this assessment. Lebron and KD both left franchises in order to go elsewhere and win rings. They're both certainly Batman.

Now is Paul on their level? Obviously not. I definitely think in today's league, Paul is better suited as a second star next to a more dominant star. That doesn't take away from the incredible player that he is, just a fact of where the league is today with multiple star players teaming up

I think Paul looked at his time with the Pacers and determined that the outlook of the franchise was trending downward. Once he saw what the off season plans were, he finally decided that he couldn't win here and was ready to go elsewhere.
    So that's interesting. I don't think that LeBron was a Batman when he went to the Heat. Wade was the pillar and leadership foundation of Miami. He is OTOH the Batman of Cleveland, and went back specifically to take on that role.

I think Westbrook and Durant struggled to decide who was in charge back in the day. I think we already know that Westbrook is the textbook definition of team leader. Steph Curry is the foundation of the Warriors team now and I think that Durant enjoys that. Curry created a big time selfless leadership model that's a winner.

The specific point I'm trying to make is that the best player on the team is not necessarily its leader. Sometimes they are the same, but sometimes they are not. I'd be shocked to see either Curry or Westbrook leave their team in the same way that Duncan or Nowitzki wouldn't leave. Those are my Batmans!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

Every starter from the ECF team seemed to leave in some type of controversial manner

Each is kind of explainable though:

1) Hibbert fell off the face of the Earth as a productive player. Bird was harsh. Clearly he seemed to hold some animosity towards Hibbert for how things fell apart.

2) West just wanted to ring chase. The Pacers were just a means to an ends for him. Once PG got hurt, he had zero interest in hanging around.

3) Lance - young hot head advised by complete idiots who weren't real agents. Got in over his head. Probably realizes he made a big mistake.

4) Hill was just a run of the mill NBA trade. Can't think of any controversy.

5) PG is just behaving like multiple other diva stars in recent years like Melo and Howard. Not unprecedented.

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

I mean, guys still love coming back here and speak warmly about the Pacers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Each is kind of explainable though:

1) Hibbert fell off the face of the Earth as a productive player. Bird was harsh. Clearly he seemed to hold some animosity towards Hibbert for how things fell apart.

2) West just wanted to ring chase. The Pacers were just a means to an ends for him. Once PG got hurt, he had zero interest in hanging around.

3) Lance - young hot head advised by complete idiots who weren't real agents. Got in over his head. Probably realizes he made a big mistake.

4) Hill was just a run of the mill NBA trade. Can't think of any controversy.

5) PG is just behaving like multiple other diva stars in recent years like Melo and Howard. Not unprecedented.
    The only guy that holds a grudge on that list is West. GHill just tried to come back.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to freddielewis14 For This Useful Post:

The point is Turner has shown much more promise at this age than Hickson did at the same age, there is real reason for the Pacers to be hesitant to part with him.

and there is a reason why there was a chance to trade him for Jimmy or somebody like that.

Point is if you are serious about contending you go with the star you know(Jimmy) not the one that is going to maybe be some day if all the stars are aligned.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vnzla81 For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    George Hill, David West, Roy Hibbert—were all gone, as was the legendary architect. “Here I am, the last guy,
    Well, he doesn't take Lance very seriously.

The nice thing about Paul being traded by this time is that I no longer have to care what Paul thinks or says.

I honestly would listen with full attention if he decided to talk about what happened during our epic collapse of 13-14 season because while I believe we will never know for sure what happened I would be interested in hearing inside information.

But other than that, I have zero interest in what he has to say.

I do appreciate the honesty and allowing the team to get something back. However the way they went about it (whether Paul did it or his agent did it is irrelevant) is what damaged the club and any good will he would have gotten from me about telling the club he was leaving was all negated by this. And yes believe me when I say I would have, and actually still do, understand that if KP literally told him the idea was Holiday & Gallonari with a few other minor adjustments that his first call after hearing that was to his agent saying get me out of here.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Mood

Vnzla actuallly makes sense here.

Cleveland could have traded for Amare at the time but didnt want to part with Hickson. That was his point

Vnzla thinks the Pacers should have traded Myles for another stat in an effort to get Paul to stay
    The only difference we didn't have an option. Chris Paul? Carmello?

Before they fired Phil, should KP have traded Monta, 17th pick, a future pick, and Turner for Porzingis and Melo?

What else was there? There wasn't a Suns team blowing up their roster. What sign and trade deal could we have gotten to pacify this baby?

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by brownjake43 View Post
    This OKC team has 0% chance at the finals and about a 15% chance at the conference finals. Since we are in the East that's honestly not far off from our odds if PG stayed and we tried to rebuild a little bit around him.
    Right, and the Cavs are due for injuries next year.

Mood

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post: