Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: On The Record: Go on the record so when we second guess next year(s) we have you on the record.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: On The Record: Go on the record so when we second guess next year(s) we have you on the record.

Everyone that has jumped onto the 76ers and T'Wolves bandwagon will have jumped back off by the all-star break.

I'm on record.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Default Re: On The Record: Go on the record so when we second guess next year(s) we have you on the record.

I don't think the Pacers are a playoff team, but they won't be in the running for worst record either. In other words I expect them to be mediocre.

I would peg this roster at around 30 wins, but I think there's some potential to overachieve, which might bump it up to 35. Wait, does 35 get you into the East playoffs? LOL

I predict Dipo and Turner to be the leading scorers. Both at around 18 ppg.

I predict Collison and Bojan will be starters initially, but both will eventually be replaced on account of their defense.

I also think Domantas is the long term starter at frontcourt next to Myles, so I expect him to start a majority of games this season. If Thad is still here though, I expect he will also start a number of games. I've been predicting a Thad trade for a while, but on thinking it over I could see him staying too. He still fills a useful niche as our best defender against smaller mobile bigs.

Whether Lance starts or not, I predict he'll play at least 30 mpg and be a major part of the rotation.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That would be awesome but I don't expect Domantas to ever become a poor man's Arvydas. But if he can be even half the player that his father was then we're set.
    Yeah, they really aren't very similar and Domas will end up playing a different role than his famous father did.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

pacers will rank last place in rebounding, put that on the record

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    Yeah, they really aren't very similar and Domas will end up playing a different role than his famous father did.
    Yep, they aren't that similar. But a part of me hopes that Domantas can develop his passing ability and his vision. I don't expect his passing to ever reach his father's passing (he honestly is the best passing Center I've ever seen) but if we can get even a quarter of that then we're set.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    Empty vessels make the most noise.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by tora tora View Post
    pacers will rank last place in rebounding, put that on the record
    Meh, I don't see that. We replaced our small guards (Monta, Teague) with better athletes and defenders (Oladipo and CoJo) and we also improved our frontcourt depth a lot by adding three youngsters (Sabonis, Leaf and Anigbogu). Yeah, losing PG will hurt our rebounding but I think that the rest of the changes are enough to balance that out.

Panopticon

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

owl

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Yeah, losing PG will hurt our rebounding but I think that the rest of the changes are enough to balance that out.
    People are forgetting that we have Lance this year (only five games last year for statistics) and he is a much better rebounder than PG. I think it's possible our rebounding will improve.
    "Look, it's up to me to put a team around ... Lance right now." óKevin Pritchard press conference

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    People are forgetting that we have Lance this year (only five games last year for statistics) and he is a much better rebounder than PG. I think it's possible our rebounding will improve.
    The numbers throughout their careers certainly do not back up this claim in any way.

Outaide of a single outlier of a season, Lance has vrrn pretty much an average rebounder.

Now, Lance does have the ability to be a positive on the boards given the fact that he will be getting a featured role for the first time in a few seasons.

But Paul George has always been a pretty good rebounder from the SF position.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    As Ace said, PG has always posted better rebounding numbers than Lance. And I'm not just talking about raw averages here. Per 36, Per 100 Possessions and TRB% all put PG higher than Lance.

I do believe that we're going to be a better rebounding team this season and Lance will certainly contribute to it. He just won't be the main reason why.

Panopticon

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    -Cory Joseph will be our starting PG by the end of the year and will put himself in position for quite a good contract in FA

-Myles averages 17 and 8 but misses the AS game

- Oladipo has similar averages to what we saw in Orlando (16, 5, 4)

- Leaf is disappointingly unproductive

- Thad has a nice start to the year, but is traded at the deadline for a 1st

- Lance gets nominated for both the best play of the year as well as the funniest Shaqtin a fool award

-Pacers win 34 games

- PG gets an All NBA nod
    - Fox wins rookie of the year
    - Philly makes the playoffs
    - Minnesota ends up as a bit of a let down
    - Milwaukee makes a jump to 3rd in the East
    - Houston and GS go 7 games (considering Hou gets Melo)
    - Dame or McCollum gets traded

I'm on the record
    I want to add that Bojan ends up as our third leading scorer and Sabonis gives us some hope for a tough and talentrd big starting next to Myles. He ends the year as the starter at the PF spot

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Fouls on smith will open a thread about firing somebody 4 weeks into the season.

I'm on the record
    I've got the under on that.

I'm on the record.
    BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Yep, they aren't that similar. But a part of me hopes that Domantas can develop his passing ability and his vision. I don't expect his passing to ever reach his father's passing (he honestly is the best passing Center I've ever seen) but if we can get even a quarter of that then we're set.
    I loved Arvydas's game and his style of passing. But if you measure that skill by assists he did not rank very high. I was a bit surprised. Also, Wilt was easily as good or better and had similar presence and command in the paint along with great court vision.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

Lurker of the Year Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

That would be awesome but I don't expect Domantas to ever become a poor man's Arvydas. But if he can be even half the player that his father was then we're set.
    I view Sabonis the younger's ceiling as more of an elite role player than an elite star player like his father. Jeff Foster with a skill set, kinda player.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Infinite MAN_force For This Useful Post:

Lurker of the Year Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

I don't think the Pacers are a playoff team, but they won't be in the running for worst record either. In other words I expect them to be mediocre.

I would peg this roster at around 30 wins, but I think there's some potential to overachieve, which might bump it up to 35. Wait, does 35 get you into the East playoffs? LOL

I predict Collison and Bojan will be starters initially, but both will eventually be replaced on account of their defense.

I also think Domantas is the long term starter at frontcourt next to Myles, so I expect him to start a majority of games this season. If Thad is still here though, I expect he will also start a number of games. I've been predicting a Thad trade for a while, but on thinking it over I could see him staying too. He still fills a useful niche as our best defender against smaller mobile bigs.

Whether Lance starts or not, I predict he'll play at least 30 mpg and be a major part of the rotation.
    Almost thanked your post because I pretty much agree with everything you said except about Bojan. I really view him as a situational, maybe 10 MPG type player. I think Glenn Robinson III is going to get some serious run next season and start the whole year.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I loved Arvydas's game and his style of passing. But if you measure that skill by assists he did not rank very high. I was a bit surprised.
    This is what T-Bird had to show about his passing in college:

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbird1245 View Post
    There is hope for him as a passer, but itís more of hope from a sentimental fan than it is a true scout, as I remember his Dad as an absolutely sensational big man passer. Occasionally you see some mannerisms from Domantas that he inherited, but is just in flashes. You remember the huge hands that he inherited, but then you realize that he didnít inherit his size, length, or vision. Domantas plays with tunnel vision too often as a guy who doesnít see things well from the low block area, but yet just so often he looks comfortable from the mid or high post area. His passing numbers were good (2.8APG), and he showed some skill working in a 2 man post game at Gonzaga. But when he faces up and drives, he sees only his own defender and the front of the rim and has a mostly one track mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Also, Wilt was easily as good or better and had similar presence and command in the paint along with great court vision.
    Wilt played in the 60s and the 70s. That's wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy before my time. Arvydas is largely before my time as well since I was born in 1990 but it's a bit more recent, at least. For example, I can watch him play when I watch tapes of old FIBA competitions. I cannot do that with Wilt. I don't think I've ever seen actual games from Wilt that weren't simply highlights.

Panopticon

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    I view Sabonis the younger's ceiling as more of an elite role player than an elite star player like his father. Jeff Foster with a skill set, kinda player.
    Yeah. And we don't really need Domantas to become a star. If he's a solid starter then we're fine.

Panopticon

Cavs will overpay for a D Wade trade before the deadline - sending 2 picks and expirings to Chicago. Those picks will become top 10 picks once Lebron bolts and Kyrie demands a trade.

I am on the record.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    Almost thanked your post because I pretty much agree with everything you said except about Bojan. I really view him as a situational, maybe 10 MPG type player. I think Glenn Robinson III is going to get some serious run next season and start the whole year.

Dutch Pacers Fan

Devin Booker will average 28 ppg.
    Joel Embiid will play at least 60 games and will be an allstar.
    Boogie and AD will not figure out how to both put up big numbers and win.
    Mike Conley will be dealt by the Grizzlies.
    Myles Turner will start with a slump, trying to do too much. Around March he will start to click and we make it to 32 wins, instead of the 22 we'll be on pace for most of the season.
    The Orlando Magic will once again be in search of an identity. They don't get one, their younger players hardly improve and Frank will be let go at the seasons end.
    The Clippers will not make the play-offs.
    Kemba Walker will be a Knick and Charlotte will decide to re-build. Knicks continue to be a dumpster fire.
    Lavar Ball won't be on TV as much after the initial highs and lows for Lonzo.

I am on the record.
    Yay, we don't know what we're doing as a franchise! thanks PG!

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    The numbers throughout their careers certainly do not back up this claim in any way.

Outaide of a single outlier of a season, Lance has vrrn pretty much an average rebounder.

Now, Lance does have the ability to be a positive on the boards given the fact that he will be getting a featured role for the first time in a few seasons.

But Paul George has always been a pretty good rebounder from the SF position.
    I'm not questioning Lance's ability to be a willing and capable rebounder......but I wonder if the System that he is playing in makes a difference when it comes to his rebounding #s. Clearly, how he was used in Indy by Vogel was different compared to how he was used in Charlotte, LAC, Memphis and NOLA.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is what T-Bird had to show about his passing in college:

Wilt played in the 60s and the 70s. That's wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy before my time. Arvydas is largely before my time as well since I was born in 1990 but it's a bit more recent, at least. For example, I can watch him play when I watch tapes of old FIBA competitions. I cannot do that with Wilt. I don't think I've ever seen actual games from Wilt that weren't simply highlights.
    I actually watched that game in 1988. I thought for sure the Russians would fold, but they had size, skill and more maturity than the Americans. It must have felt amazing for them to beat the Americans, similar to the time we beat them in hockey. I forgot about Sabonis and only years later did I connect the Portland Sabonis with that huge skilled guy I remembered from the Olympics in 1988.

Edit: BTW, I am much older than you and did see Wilt Chamberlain play. I specifically remember him best later on when he was a Laker. The coverage seemed to be better. I recalled a game, I think around Christmas one year, I think in 1971. He was older and I was pretty young. I wondered why he wasn't completely dominating because he looked so athletic and huge, but I didn't have the maturity to recognize he was well past his prime.
    Last edited by BlueNGold; 07-12-2017 at 10:52 PM.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

28. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The only thing I would question would be the wins. I think we will be over 30 and closer to 35 unless someone has a major breakout year, then we could see 40.

I am still curious to see how T.J. Leaf fits in. If TYoung and Sabonis are our PF's and Bogdonavic, GRIII and Lance play at SF then there is no place left for Leaf and I really think he will get NBA minutes somehow.

Mood

We'll look like a playoff team by the end of the season but we'll start slow.
    We'll win 38 games.
    One of 'dipo Sabonis, or GRIII will be better than we are thinking right now.
    Two of them will look like decent starters by seasons end.
    Lance can not be kept off the floor.
    Myles will be a little better, but show his long term limitations more clearly.
    PG will bristle as he takes second chair on a still marginal team.
    Labron shows definite decline and the Cavs miss the finals.
    We flirt with the playoffs but better heads prevail and we duck them just in time.
    The hole in our team will have become obvious, and we go into next season with some optimism: an improving roster, and a fairly high pick.
    I'm on record!

Edit, deleted: Paul George comes back as a free agent.
    He misses being the man. OKC is in treadmill city. Ball is a disappointment. Lakers suck, and our new assets have re-opened "the window".
    Last edited by solid; 07-13-2017 at 01:29 PM.

The West playoffs are interesting for this game, so I'll play along on that too:

TWolves, Nuggets and Pelicans reach the playoffs taking the spots of Memphis, Utah and...LA Clippers.

Im on the record

Bojan Bogdanovic will be the leading scorer on the Pacers. 4 Pacers will average between 13 and 20ppg.
    "man, PG has been really good."