Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 40 of 40

Thread: Do you feel better about the Pacers?

  1. #26
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    45
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you feel better about the Pacers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't you have a Tivo, Jay?
    Yeah, but I haven't even had time to do that.

    I had more than twenty chargeable hours last weekend.

    I had tickets to see Don Henley and Stevie Nicks up here in Chicago last Sunday night, we went to the concert to see Henley and left about twenty minutes into Stevie's set so I could get back on the phone.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  2. #27
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,767

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you feel better about the Pacers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonica
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Like I said in another thread, I look at the Pistons and I'm reminded how close and how far we are from a championship.


    That's the best way to put it. Perfectly stated.

  3. #28
    PacersFan
    Guest

    Default Re: Do you feel better about the Pacers?

    This year was a pretty good barometer as to the individual competitivness of each player. We saw how each performed in difficult situations. The problem was that the chemistry was not there. Why do they play 82 games? I mean besides the money the NBA gets. They play 82 games to learn each other's tendencies and develop a trust in each other. They learn what works and what doesn't with that particular group of players. What I saw in that last game was a group that didn't know what they were suppossed to be doing. They were definetly playing their hearts out, but they just didn't know how to win against a really good team.

    Many of us have talked about how some players tried to do too much on their own. The problem was that the players had not developed a trust that is gained from 82 games of experience. Why didn't JO pass out of double teams? Why didn't anybody show for him to pass to? These may seem like simple things, but it really takes great timing to do them. Timing that can only be learned through repitition.

    Why did Tinsley look absolutely wonderful 2 games and awful the rest? It was actually a surprise he even looked good two games. He hasn't played with this group of players since the very beginning of the year (and that doesn't even include all the players). He was playing along side the third team for most of the year. You can not expect him to learn all the players' tendencies in a week. The injury he sustained was worrying, but all of us know he is not the types of player who can play for more than 40 minutes. That's what he was doing night in and night out till the injury. Those minutes will most definetly be decreased next year esp. if we get Sarunas.

    Stephen Jackson took too many shots. That is most definetly true. But how many games exactly did he play with JO during the regular season? Maybe about 20. He hadn't had time to develop the timing or trust in JO that was needed. Remember that he and Reggie were the main go to guys for the most of the end of the season. It's not easy to just let go of that habit within 1 or 2 weeks.

    The team chemistry and in turn it's strength were just not up to par with the Pistons. This only comes along with time and experience with each other. Hopefully they have the time next year to develop that chemistry that's needed in the playoffs. Think about how much the Pistons struggled to gain this chemistry with Ben only missing six games. The Pacers had 2 guys that had just come back from missing two months and that's not even mentioning Ron.

    Well, might as well talk about Ron now. I feel his whole demeanor has changed from the suspension. I see more discipline and responsibility in him. I have only seen a couple of interviews with him, but that change is drastic. Many of us were upset over how long the suspension was, but now as I look back maybe it wasn't so bad. If Ron was let back in the playoffs he really wouldn't have felt the same amount of pain he felt watching his teammates struggle. I think he really needed that. Without that pain I feel he might still have gone back to his ways. I feel that really taught how much his actions affected the team. Oh by the way, we get our DPOY back who can also score 20 on any given night.

    In conclusion, I feel what they did this year after the brawl was amazing. I'm pretty sure most of you agree with me when I say that I feel no other team could have gone through all this and still taken the defending champions to six games in the conf. semis. They will obviously be much better with a (hopefully) sane Ron, but I feel that the much needed chemistry they didn't have time to develop over this season is what will get them over the top next season.

  4. #29
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,819

    Default Re: Do you feel better about the Pacers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think all 4 really, really want to win. Maybe they just don't know how to win yet. Hopefully they are learning from the Pistons.

    It is selfish to think that the best way for my team to win is when I try to score with two defenders on me. I don't think that is selfish it might be dumb, but not selfish.

    I don't think for one minute Ron Artest is selfish at all. When he takes a bad shot it is not because he wants to be on Sportscenter or show off for the ladys, he takes bad shots for other reasons. He is very confident and thinks he can score at will. And he also gets too caught up in the action. Jax is the same way




    Jacking up a bad shot is jacking up a bad shot, it doesn't matter if it's Jalen Rose, Allen Iverson or Ron Artest.

    Abandoning the game plan because you find it boring is selfish.

    Calling yourself the MVP of the team is selfish.

    Quiting on the team, for whatever reason, is selfish.

    Stating that you don't know if you want to play here anymore because you didn't get the ball for a last second shot is selfish.

    Ron Artest is a very very selfish player.

    Now being selfish is not always a bad thing, because obviously you have to look out for # 1 to a point. But let's not act like he is a player who would do whatever it took for the team to win.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  5. #30
    Huge Member heywoode's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indiana
    Age
    46
    Posts
    6,334

    Default Re: Do you feel better about the Pacers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh judges. They think they rule the world don't they.
    They DON'T rule the world?

  6. #31
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,986

    Default Re: Do you feel better about the Pacers?

    Peck, all I can say is I agree with your post. I guess I did not take into account all types of selfishness, or maybe I got carried away.

  7. #32
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,767

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you feel better about the Pacers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't feel any better, I knew how good the Pistons were. Their interior defense is by far the best in the NBA, their backcourt is the best in the NBA, they have the best coach in the NBA. They are the toughest team in the NBA mentally and physically. Their chemistry is perfect. They have the best starting 5 in the NBA


    Didn't you make a thread a few days back basically stating that we should all feel better about JO after watching Duncan struggle?

  8. #33
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: Do you feel better about the Pacers?

    I was going to answer the question, but then I remembered I promised myself I would never say "after the year we've had..." again.

  9. #34
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,986

    Default Re: Do you feel better about the Pacers?

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerFanAdam
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Didn't you make a thread a few days back basically stating that we should all feel better about JO after watching Duncan struggle?
    I don't understand your point.

    yes I did start a thread to that efect, and my point was the Pistons interior defense is tough even on TD, so we should take that in account when judging an injured J.O.

  10. #35
    Banned Fool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,408

    Default Re: Do you feel better about the Pacers?

    I think his point is that your comments in that thread and your statement here seem to contradict each other. You feel better about J.O. but not about the Pacers. I think most here would consider feeling better about J.O. sufficient criteria to feeling better about the Pacers.

  11. #36
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,986

    Default Re: Do you feel better about the Pacers?

    I said no to the general question because I already was aware of how good the Pistons were. So nothing that has occurred since the Pistons beat the Pacers has changed my opinion

    Hope that makes sense

  12. #37
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    45
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you feel better about the Pacers?

    If anybody cares, I did get to watch the second half.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  13. #38
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,767

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you feel better about the Pacers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I said no to the general question because I already was aware of how good the Pistons were. So nothing that has occurred since the Pistons beat the Pacers has changed my opinion

    Hope that makes sense

    It makes sense.

    I was just suprised when you answered no, after your JO thread. Feeling better about JO by watching Duncan struggle has made me feel better about the team as a whole, since he is the centerpiece.

  14. #39
    Member Knucklehead Warrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    874

    Default Re: Do you feel better about the Pacers?

    I don't feel better. I was hoping I would, but I don't because the pisstons that played the spurs were (are) a better team than the pisstons that played us. They turned it up a notch. Not in games 1 or 2, but definitely showed who the champs were. And they still got beat. No I do NOT feel any better.

    Yes, we're so close and yet so far away, but we're not missing any pieces. The problem is north of their necks.

    At first I felt we were really really slighted by 15-1 odds of winning it all next year, but you know what? We have the talent and coaching to do it, but I'm not sure we have the leadership or the mental stamina. Oh yeah, we're warriors all right, but knuckleheads too.

  15. #40
    Banned PacerMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,132

    Wink Re: Do you feel better about the Pacers?

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerFanAdam
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    After watching the Heat lose to the Pistons in 7, and after watching the Pistons take the Spurs to 7 games.......Do you feel better about the Pacers?

    I feel better about Jermaine, after seeing Duncan struggle against the dominating Detroit defense.

    Without our second best player, we gave them a hell of a series, they were just too much in the end.

    I would have considered Miami and SA the 2 best teams outside of Detroit going into this season. One of them lost to Detroit, the other is on the verge.

    I feel a whole lot better about the Pacers after watching Miami and SA. I still think we could use upgrades at the point and at center......but i feel a whole lot better.
    Jermaine wasn't close to 100%. Neither was Jamaal. Nor Freddie or Pollard or Harrison or Bender...........................
    If they were...........

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •