Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you feel better about the Pacers?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Do you feel better about the Pacers?

After watching the Heat lose to the Pistons in 7, and after watching the Pistons take the Spurs to 7 games.......Do you feel better about the Pacers?

I feel better about Jermaine, after seeing Duncan struggle against the dominating Detroit defense.

Without our second best player, we gave them a hell of a series, they were just too much in the end.

I would have considered Miami and SA the 2 best teams outside of Detroit going into this season. One of them lost to Detroit, the other is on the verge.

I feel a whole lot better about the Pacers after watching Miami and SA. I still think we could use upgrades at the point and at center......but i feel a whole lot better.

Default Re: Do you feel better about the Pacers?

I sure do. Next year, baby.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

I feel better about JO after watching Duncan struggle too.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Pacers and Pistons play "rivalry" games. Its the kind of competition where both teams know each other so well, and try so hard, that the talent differential is really minimized.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

I don't feel any better, I knew how good the Pistons were. Their interior defense is by far the best in the NBA, their backcourt is the best in the NBA, they have the best coach in the NBA. They are the toughest team in the NBA mentally and physically. Their chemistry is perfect. They have the best starting 5 in the NBA

Harmonica

Like I said in another thread, I look at the Pistons and I'm reminded how close and how far we are from a championship.

I think we are so close to a championship. I think we are just a small piece away, and yes it does make me feel better seeing them beat teams like this when we played them so tough.

To be honest I think the missing piece might be Stephen Jackson, and this offseason has proven to me that we should not make any moves that change the starting lineup. (Maybe backup pointguard though.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    that the talent differential is really minimized.

There's a talent differential between the two teams? Maybe between players, but as a team, I'd say they were pretty even talentwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    I don't feel any better, I knew how good the Pistons were. Their interior defense is by far the best in the NBA, their backcourt is the best in the NBA, they have the best coach in the NBA. They are the toughest team in the NBA mentally and physically. Their chemistry is perfect. They have the best starting 5 in the NBA
    Amen to that.

I agree with Indypacers67 too, I think that Jax could be the piece of the puzzle, he definately has heart and a will to win.
    Life without water is tough, life without air is hard,life with one leg only is wobbly, Life without Reggie Miller, is impossible.

Do Not Trade Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Brunner
    Veteran Austin Croshere, the longest-tenured Pacers player on the roster, has proven reliable when called upon, invariably ready to step in regardless of the circumstance.

I don't feel any better because we lost. Winning is all that matters
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I feel very good about our chances next year. SA is hardly a dynasty, we seem to have Miami's number, and Detroit should slip just enough w/o LB to allow us to get by them. Add an All-Star SF to the mix (Ronnie) and Jack back at his natural position, and I really like our chances.

2006 NBA FINALS - INDIANA PACERS VS. SAN ANTONIO SPURS

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by PacerFanAdam

Without our second best player, we gave them a hell of a series, they were just too much in the end.
    Wait, I thought JO played during the series.

But back to the question. No, in fact I feel a little worse because of this: The difference between the two teams is mostly mental. The Piston's are not that much different from the Pacers from a skill or physical standpoint, but I think they play a lot smarter, and I think they are mentally tougher.

That's discouraging to me.

Pacers best four players -->

JO -- Not mentally strong. Doesn't play smart. Doesn't understand the benefits of ball movement. Want's too badly to be "the man" instead of the Pacers being "the team".

Tinsley -- Not mentally strong. Pouts sometimes. Goes off on his own too much. For a player as skilled as he is at passing the ball, he doesn't set up his teammates very well.

Jackson -- I think he's mentally strong at times, but too erratic and he just loses it sometimes.

Artest -- Not much to be said. Mentally, well....he's a mental patient.

Mood

I'll play the fool here . I actually think 1-12 the Pacers have more talent than the Pistons overall.

There in lies the problem. This team so far has lacked the mental toughness and willingness to do whatever it takes to win.

Look at the Pistons every starter except Prince has been traded at least once before. But as a unit they have meshed into a force greater than their parts- a TEAM.

The Pacers have the potential to be that - but the question is will they ever all buy into it????

Bird's comment of an impact player at #17 ,has me wondering just who he sees as that player? The fact he says the rookie will play makes me think ,he sees a winner at 17.

This years Pacer team can win the 2006 Championship if they focus and work hard enough to jell as a TRUE TEAM , the talent is already there.

The fact Larry spoke so glowingly of a Rookie makes me curious as heck exactly what he thinks he knows about someone that everyone else is missing?

In defense of our 4 best players. One thing I really like about all 4 is that they are extremely competitive. No one ever mentioned that. IMO they are as competitive as any group in the NBA. Why don't we ever mention that

In defense of our 4 best players. One thing I really like about all 4 is that they are extremely competitive. No one ever mentioned that. IMO they are as competitive as any group in the NBA. Why don't we ever mention that
    Because sometimes they are too competitive. I love their aggressiveness, but they do need to keep their mouths shut sometimes.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I don't think anyone would question that.

However, are they SELFLESS? I don't think so.

I do believe the Pacers show a certain degree of synergy - the whole is better than the mere sum of the parts.

Otherwise, how could we play even with the Spurs and the Pistons?

But I also believe that our primary players can tend to go their individual ways much too often in critical game situations.

We need a couple of things to assure that we will get over the hurdle, more emphasis on the team, and perhaps an upgrade at center to a player that has many of Jeff's and Dale's skills, as well as the ability to hit an open 10-12 foot shot.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Each of these four may be competitive all right, but they've also got a tendency to believe "I can win this game for my team all by myself". Its not 'competitiveness' you see as much as it is individual ego/ pride. And that's fine when its held in-check by a proper team structure.

But as we proved over-and-over last season, it really doesn't work like that.

I'd rather have better balance between "competitiveness" and "willing to check individual egos and agendas at the door" than all of these super-competitive guys that break plays, toot thier own horns, and get easily distracted by officials, opponents, or according to Kegboy watching the Pacemates during timeouts.

You know which two teams should've run the "One Goal" slogans this season? I'll give you a hint, they're still playing. And they're playing Game #7 for a championship tonight.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by beast23
    I don't think anyone would question that.

However, are they SELFLESS? I don't think so.

I do believe the Pacers show a certain degree of synergy - the whole is better than the mere sum of the parts.

Otherwise, how could we play even with the Spurs and the Pistons?

But I also believe that our primary players can tend to go their individual ways much too often in critical game situations.

We need a couple of things to assure that we will get over the hurdle, more emphasis on the team, and perhaps an upgrade at center to a player that has many of Jeff's and Dale's skills, as well as the ability to hit an open 10-12 foot shot.

I think all 4 really, really want to win. Maybe they just don't know how to win yet. Hopefully they are learning from the Pistons.

It is selfish to think that the best way for my team to win is when I try to score with two defenders on me. I don't think that is selfish it might be dumb, but not selfish.

I don't think for one minute Ron Artest is selfish at all. When he takes a bad shot it is not because he wants to be on Sportscenter or show off for the ladys, he takes bad shots for other reasons. He is very confident and thinks he can score at will. And he also gets too caught up in the action. Jax is the same way

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    Each of these four may be competitive all right, but they've also got a tendency to believe "I can win this game for my team all by myself". Its not 'competitiveness' you see as much as it is individual ego/ pride. And that's fine when its held in-check by a proper team structure.

But as we proved over-and-over last season, it really doesn't work like that.

I'd rather have better balance between "competitiveness" and "willing to check individual egos and agendas at the door" than all of these super-competitive guys that break plays, toot thier own horns, and get easily distracted by officials, opponents, or according to Kegboy watching the Pacemates during timeouts.

You know which two teams should've run the "One Goal" slogans this season? I'll give you a hint, they're still playing. And they're playing Game #7 for a championship tonight.

The funny thing is the spurs did run the same "One Goal" slogan. You saw it in their pre-game intros.

The funny thing is the spurs did run the same "One Goal" slogan. You saw it in their pre-game intros.
    I've been locked in an office for the past week and a half. I've only seen four minutes of basketball since Game #1. So unfortunately, I haven't even seen their pre-game intros.

Maybe tonight, but unlikely...

I've been locked in an office for the past week and a half. I've only seen four minutes of basketball since Game #1. So unfortunately, I haven't even seen their pre-game intros.

Maybe tonight, but unlikely...

Jay, it's game #7. it only happens like every 11 years.

Jay, it's game #7. it only happens like every 11 years.
    I know, but tell that to the damn judge who set the absurdly tight hearing date for this case...

For all I know, I may still have to be in an airplane tonight for depositions tomorrow.

I know, but tell that to the damn judge who set the absurdly tight hearing date for this case...

For all I know, I may still have to be in an airplane tonight for depositions tomorrow.

Oh judges. They think they rule the world don't they.

Oh judges. They think they rule the world don't they.

Yeah, and so do Managing Directors when they get appointed "expert witness" and then make me manage the case.

EDIT - Whooops. I should've put this in my "Official b!+c# about work thread." Sorry.

Don't you have a Tivo, Jay?