Thread: Which would you rather have?

Default Which would you rather have?

This was asked on the "Best Damn Sports Show Period" [BTW I miss Tom damn it, every team needs a fan like Tom.] and it was which career would you rather have, Reggie Miller or Robert Horry?

Well as much I love to watch Reggie play, and play in the heartland of basketball, I can't say you can go wrong with 5 rings and a possiable 6th one coming very soon.

Of course though one thing Reggie will always have over Horry is playing in the greatest basketball play in the whole world for 18 awesome years.

Default Re: Which would you rather have?

Horry while a big part of the championships, wasn't the reason they won championships. Hakeem, Casell, Shaq, Kobe, Duncan are the reasons they won championships. Sure he hit big shots, but he isn't the reason. Reggie carried the Pacers for about 14 seasons.
    Sorry, I didn't know advertising was illegal here. Someone call the cops!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Sports Guy had the best explanation on this subject.

I would take Horry's career over Reggie's, Barkley's, Ewing's, Malone's, Stockton's, etc. If you're Horry, you've essentially spent your entire career playing with 2 Hall of Fame teammates. If you have a terrible game, nobody notices. If you have a great game, you're a hero. How great is that? I'd take that over having the entire success of your team on your shoulders every night.

Reggie's, stayed in one place, always welcomed, never worry about being traded. He also always had something to chase, and always have something to prove, if you get that ring, some of the fun of chasing the ring will be out of the you.

The thrill of the chase, but don't get me wrong, I want to get Reggie a ring, can you buy them on ebay?

Jesus Shuttlesworth

Quote Originally Posted by rommie
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Of course though one thing Reggie will always have over Horry is playing in the greatest basketball play in the whole world for 18 awesome years.
    The greatest in the whole world. I'd say thats a stretch.

The Sports guy is spot on, but, to be in the heart of the real fan and become Mr Indiana you have to feel the lows and we and Reggie sure have shared in his miss's and his Game Winners which is what i believe makes him so great and better off, but i'd still take Reggie's over Horry's any day if Reggie was taken I'll settle for Horry, first thing I do tho is have a haircut

at the end of the day, not getting a ring not matter how much it sucks isen't the end all.. Reggie will allways be Mr Indiana regardless

Reggie hands down... because Reggie plays all year and Horry only plays in the playoffs or when he feels like it... It is a shame Reggie and the Pacers didn't make it to the finals. Reggie will be going into the Hall of Fame while Horry will not.

Quote Originally Posted by SamBear
    Reggie hands down... because Reggie plays all year and Horry only plays in the playoffs or when he feels like it... It is a shame Reggie and the Pacers didn't make it to the finals. Reggie will be going into the Hall of Fame while Horry will not.
    do you mean this year or in total

Reggie & the P's made it in 2000 remember

where we got screwed by the Fakers but thats another issue

Sam, what is your avatar a picture of? I'm guessing the Memorial Day Miracle, although I really can't tell.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Jesus Shuttlesworth

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    Sam, what is your avatar a picture of? I'm guessing the Memorial Day Miracle, although I really can't tell.
    Looks like the 2 teams are Spurs and Blazers

This is easy.

I would easily take Reggie's or Stocton's or Malone's or Barkley's career over Robert Horry's career. These guys did it over and over and carried thier teams on their shoulders which is taken for granted. To win a championship, lot of other things have to fall in place which these players have no control over.

Would you take Jim Kelley or Thurman Thoms's or Bruce Smith's career over Larry Brown's (CB for Dallas) or some other "flash in the pan's" career.

Robert Horry has a special skill and knack for being clutch but the other guys did a lot of other special things which necessarily did not result in championships.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Shuttlesworth
    The greatest in the whole world. I'd say thats a stretch.
    Did he mean greatest basketball place? If so, I agree. If you were born/raised here, I think it would be tough not to think so, or at least not to see it as being too far off.

Reggie. Reggie has been on top for so long with one franchise, he has more of a devotion and mystique about him than Big Bob does, not to say the Horry isn't a great player.

I have a little more respect for Reggie due to the fact he stayed in one place and used what he was given every year and didn't look for a way out just for a ring. Reggie put his faith into and focused on his team for 18 years, thats damn impressive.
    Life without water is tough, life without air is hard,life with one leg only is wobbly, Life without Reggie Miller, is impossible.

Do Not Trade Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Brunner
    Veteran Austin Croshere, the longest-tenured Pacers player on the roster, has proven reliable when called upon, invariably ready to step in regardless of the circumstance.

Horry for the reasons the Sports Guy mentioned.

The first Memorial Day Miracle was Smits' buzzer beater in game 4 against Orlando in 1995

I would take Reggie without question. Reggie is a great player who never got the chance to win a ring because he played in the eastern conference with Michael Jordan. Horry is a decent player who has played in the west his whole career and has never been the 1,2 or even 3 guy on his team.

3ptmiller

Only in Indiana is this even a question.

It's not like Robert Horry was the 11th or 12th man on the bench during his teams title runs. On a few occasions he was a starter.

He was never the star but ask Byron Scott if any of his rings mean any less to him because he wasn't the first, second or even third best player on his team.

If this were Judd Buechler we were talking about that would be one thing, but Horry has been a player & has been a key player in almost all of the series he's played in.

Reggie will always have his fans, but as he said on the Costas show. The fact that he never got his ring will burn at him forever.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Let me take Reggie Miller out of it. For obvious reasons

Would I rather be John Stockton or Horry. There are too many variables. yes i want championships, but more money is nice and so is being the best player on your team and it would be great to play on one team your whole career, alt Lake city I've heard is nice.

I guess I'd rather be Stockton

I kind of find it ridiculous that anyone would take Horry's career over any of the others mentioned, not just Reggie. Then again, I don't look at a championship ring as the be-all-end-all either. There's nothing wrong with giving your all, being great, and just coming up short. Reggie, Malone, Barkley, Stockton, and Ewing all got far more out of the basketball talent they had than Horry even approaches. I'd rather maximize myself and come up just short than let others carry me and win a ring while limiting myself to a level far below my capabilities. No, Horry isn't Jud Buechler, but he's not Tim Duncan either.

Also, if a ring meant that much to Reggie, he would've gone somewhere else over the past 5 years to try to get one or he would just come back and play next year. It is important, but clearly there are other things more important to him.

Quote Originally Posted by GO!!!!!
    do you mean this year or in total

Reggie & the P's made it in 2000 remember

where we got screwed by the Fakers but thats another issue
    Sorry, I meant this year.... and yeah everyone gets screwed by the refs when they play against the Lakers...

Yep... that's a picture of the guys after the shot!

woman without a team

I didn't have to stop to think about it. I'd take the rings. (God, I hate agreeing with Jalen Rose. ) Records can be broken, but rings are forever. Like I told Kegboy, I would bet that on occasion Reggie would rather have been Robert Horry, if only for one out of six seasons.