Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Oladipo Has A Chance to Surpass Paul George

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Oladipo Has A Chance to Surpass Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's not going to
    We don't know. Those seasons have not been played yet. He has the talent to do so.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Midcoasted View Post
    I think many people in the media and on the Internet are delusional about what we got back. We absolutely stole from the Thunder. PG was gone regardless, and to me I thought maybe we'd get back a draft pick or a couple of players with potential. But to get not only one, but two former lottery picks that haven't even sniffed their potential could be, if we are lucky, one of the biggest wins for this franchise in a long time.

I was right there with most of you, depressed thinking we were going to be bad again and who knows when we would ever compete again. Sure this is all hypothetical, but Dipo has all the tools to be just as good as PG or even better. I think a lot of people will be shocked at the step he will take next year with us. We have a knack for developing young talent, and I think he will take leaps and bounds here. Him and Lance may be the most electric pairing I can remember in a long time. We competed so well against the Cavs regardless of the sweep because of Lance and PG shooting lights out. What happens if we replaced PG with someone possibly even more gifted with an even better team? I think we could compete again.
    Do you work for the Pacers?
    Garbage players get 1st round picks, (WTF)! All of the NBA must hate the Pacers! LOL

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by sav View Post
    We don't know. Those seasons have not been played yet. He has the talent to do so.
    Considering that guys like Teague, Dragic, Walker and Beal have AT MOST made the AS team once, it'll be a very tall task for Dipo to do so

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Considering that guys like Teague, Dragic, Walker and Beal have AT MOST made the AS team once, it'll be a very tall task for Dipo to do so
    If Indy sneaks into the playoffs as a 7/8 seed and Dipo is our leading scorer (which he will be unless Turner blows up), then I could see him making the All-star team.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

sav

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    I guess people are now at the acceptance/promotion part of the PG trade, pretty much every other move made was good..the PG return was bad regardless if there were better offers or not.
    That has yet to be seen.

Look, Paul George is a fantastic basketball player, and I actually think he's gonna be huge for OKC next year. They should be pretty damn good. Their perimeter defense is gonna be insane, and if you get by them they got big Steven Adams behind them. And they have the reigning MVP........AND Paul George.

But at the end of the day, it was the best move for everyone involved to let him go. It was certainly the best move for the Pacers long term future. The talent level on the Pacers roster had reached a breaking point. It was a collection of spare parts. We mortgaged a piece of the future for Thad, who is good, but not worth doing that for because we were desperate to please Paul George and prove ourselves worthy of his talents.......please. I got better **** to do than kiss his ***. He came into a GREAT situation here straight from Fresno State and we did everything we could to get him where he is at today. Everything else is on him. I was done with his punk *** when he tossed CJ Miles the ball with no time to do anything but shoot and then he threw him under the bus in the post game. Lame AF.

Victor Oladipo is a very talented player just entering his prime. Sleep on him if you want, but he is gonna have every opportunity here to excel. I think he's a great kid who plays hard and is much better than people think. And I personally would rather have him than Paul George after what I saw from him last year. And if I take a loss in talent, SO BE IT. We didn't do well last year because we didn't try to do well last year. To do well you have to play hard every night. You have to "buy in" to the program so the team follows suit behind you. And Paul failed as a leader last year, plain and simple. We also got Sabonis, who I am really high on and think he could be a top PF in the league in a few years. I find it funny people are so gloomy about the trade.

This roster has been upgraded all over the place, and yes it will miss Paul George at times but replacing him will be a burden shared amongst the entire team. Let's stop with this Pacers are gonna be horrible because they lost the great Paul George crap. Paul George took us NOWHERE without Lance Stephenson on the roster to motivate him. That's a fact. Sorry Unclebuck, it's just the truth lol
    Last edited by Taterhead; 07-10-2017 at 04:43 PM.
    "Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

7. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Taterhead For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    If Indy sneaks into the playoffs as a 7/8 seed and Dipo is our leading scorer (which he will be unless Turner blows up), then I could see him making the All-star team.
    If those guys are traditionally struggling to make it, idk how he would.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

In the event that the Pacers do overachieve, the guy we are sending to the ASG is going to be Myles.

If those guys are traditionally struggling to make it, idk how he would.
    Only guy on that list that is the #1 option on a team is Dragic and Walker, and Dragic has been in the west so it's not really fair to compare that to the Eastern Conference, which is obviously far more open as far as all-star spots go.

Really on Dragic, last year was the one you could make a case for making the All-star team, but Miami's struggles as a team made that entirely unrealistic.

The year prior in Miami he only averaged 14/6, that's not going to get you on the all-star team.

Quote Originally Posted by sav View Post
    He really doesn't. He's not more talented than Irving, Thomas, Wall, Lowry, DeRozan, Beal, or Kemba. Those 7 will be the All Star guards. Oladipo is closer to Marcus Smart than any of those guys.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Like I suspected, crazy accusations galore. But really Dipo has improved every single year since his first year at IU. He's steadily improved and has never been on a competent NBA team other than last year which was not a good fit. Let him get next to Lance, who by the way saved our superstar from missing the playoffs all together. Lance was the primary ball handler on those ECF teams, not PG. Would any other top player in the league play second fiddle to a fringe All Star talent in crunch time? PG had great stats on good and bad teams. But to me he proved he clearly couldn't lead us to miraculous playoff wins like Reggie could. To be brutally honest, dude never hit one game winning shot but had some dumb commercial showing him doing so. Reggie sits on a higher plateau than PG ever will, potential be damned.

Let's see how PG and his stats fare next to Westbrook or in LA and see how Dipo does here. I think many, many of you are going to be pleasantly surprised with a 20 ppg All Star that can defend and has top-flight athleticism, two areas George has taken a step back in. Their shooting stats are almost identical and Dipo is younger, hungrier, and definitely had more raw talent coming out of college. Like I said let's see how Indiana refines that talent and how PG fares elsewhere. There was a time Granger was a top 15 consensus All Star on bad teams too. PG had great stats, but never led us anywhere on his own.

When PG was the 10th pick, no one thought Indiana would help mold him into what he became. The same can be said about other players recently. I'll go out on a limb and say if we had Dipo from day one and PG was drafted by Orlando, he very well could be a bigger star by now. Many great talents die in terrible organizations, and Dipo has improved despite starting out on a true bottom feeder, something PG never had to deal with. He always had better talent around him since the moment Vogel took over than Dipo started with.
    I'll make a bet with you Dipo will never be as good as PG. I'll further even say he'll never be 3/4 of what PG is.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have no expectations of him being as good as Paul, but I do take some encouragement in his FG%'s going up every year. Last year, he was up to 58% at the rim, 40+% from corner threes. Maybe he's plauteaud, but if he can improve at least one more time before he does, he's going to look pretty good here, I think. Probably just below all-star level.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

So say we strike gold and we are a 3 seed and Dipo and Lance are lighting it up. Then what? Maybe I'm wrong, but as a fan it's hard not to have optimism with two young lottery picks on your team with a potential All Star in Turner and several other solid moves seemingly being made with the lightning bolt of Lance Stephenson ready to electrify it all into motion. I believe this is more of a retool versus a tear down and rebuild. I will be surprised to see us come out of the East lower than the 5th seed if it all plays out like I hope.

Probably the best off season I can ever remember given the circumstances we were forced into. And KP just took over. He built a contender in Portland but injuries got them and hopefully he learned from his mistakes. After learning under Bird, who can be stubborn at times, I think he is ready to win an Executive of the year award if we do indeed end up a top seed.

We traded an All Star for a guy who could blossom into an All Star and another former lottery pick with talent. People act like 25 is so old. And modern medicine just keeps getting better. What was Reggie Miller doing at age 25? Case rested. Dipo's future certainly is not set in stone coming off years of steady progression since a freshman in college. He proved he could put up good stats on a good team last year. I'm ready to see him get in the right scenario and shine.

Him and Stephenson together will at least make some highlight reel stuff mark my words and that as a fan is fun. If we do suck at least we'll have some entertainment value. But I seriously have talked myself into believing we will be better next year than this year.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Midcoasted For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    I have, and the complaints against were the same in Orlando and Thunder, he is very predictable in driving, he would just go straight, and couldn't finish, because he was afraid of contact and easy to defend.

How about this image?

The image you posted doesn't even say what year it is from. So, was it last year? His rookie season?
    Anyway, I'll take the stats from basketball-reference over your chart.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom White For This Useful Post:

Well if dipo can hit a few gamewinners then that is one category where surpassing Paul is wide open for him...
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

You do realize most of those guys weren't all stars their first 4 years and then made a jump right?

Kemba was averaging around 17 ppg his fourth season and then made a jump.

Oladipo is coming off his 4th season where he averaged 17 ppg as a 2nd option and is going to a team where he certainly will be taking on a more prominent role offensively. And you're acting like their is no chance he improves lol
    "Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

23. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Taterhead For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

So say we strike gold and we are a 3 seed and Dipo and Lance are lighting it up. Then what?
    We all get together at Free Unicorn Night and fart glittering rainbows.
    BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

25. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Well unfortunately quite a few will be up for disappointment. This is like hoping George Hill will finally be aggressive.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to immortality For This Useful Post:

Well unfortunately quite a few will be up for disappointment. This is like hoping George Hill will finally be aggressive.
    He was in Utah, just got hurt.

Which he finally was after he'd been traded twice
    "man, PG has been really good."

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Ozwalt72 For This Useful Post:

Only guy on that list that is the #1 option on a team is Dragic and Walker, and Dragic has been in the west so it's not really fair to compare that to the Eastern Conference, which is obviously far more open as far as all-star spots go.

Really on Dragic, last year was the one you could make a case for making the All-star team, but Miami's struggles as a team made that entirely unrealistic.

The year prior in Miami he only averaged 14/6, that's not going to get you on the all-star team.
    Those guys are all better than Victor is the point. He's just not that kind of player (all star)

Stephenson gets guys better looks than anyone we've had since Mark Jackson. I am thrilled to see what Dipo does next to him. Stephenson is pass first and will allow Dipo to be the primary option. Westbrook is much better but not for Dipo's ppg like Stephenson will be.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Midcoasted For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Stephenson gets guys better looks than anyone we've had since Mark Jackson. I am thrilled to see what Dipo does next to him. Stephenson is pass first and will allow Dipo to be the primary option. Westbrook is much better but not for Dipo's ppg like Stephenson will be.
    I've been trying to figure out the punchline to this, but I'll man up and admit that I'm stumped. Clue the rest of us in please?

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Those guys are all better than Victor is the point. He's just not that kind of player (all star)
    But you're neglecting the common 5th year leap he has the chance to make, especially as the primary option on a playoff team.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    I've been trying to figure out the punchline to this, but I'll man up and admit that I'm stumped. Clue the rest of us in please?
    It means that next to Stephenson I wouldn't be surprised to see Dipo get 20 ppg next year if he performs at last year's level, or even up to 23ish if he does take another leap in his game.

Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    You do realize most of those guys weren't all stars their first 4 years and then made a jump right?

Kemba was averaging around 17 ppg his fourth season and then made a jump.

Oladipo is coming off his 4th season where he averaged 17 ppg as a 2nd option and is going to a team where he certainly will be taking on a more prominent role offensively. And you're acting like their is no chance he improves lol
    Nobody is saying that he won't improve. But he's closer to peaking than some seem to want to give him credit for.

This is his third team in three years and had a regression last year. He should totally improve from his season of last year, but its worth noting

He's put up productive numbers on mediocre to bad teams before, and has never sniffed an AS berth. Why would that all of a sudden be different?

I think if you guys are expecting an annual AS type in Oladipo, you may set yourself up for disappointment.

You don't have to be an AS to be a productive, long term piece for a team. The AS team is typically a collection of the best players in the league.
    Last edited by Ace E.Anderson; 07-10-2017 at 05:21 PM.