Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Oladipo Has A Chance to Surpass Paul George

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Oladipo Has A Chance to Surpass Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One of my favorite recent moments as a fan was when Tyler dunked on Boozer and it looked like we were going to upset DRose and the Bulls in Game 1. It was like an exclamation point on the fact that the Pacers were back.

This team has a chance to have that type of moment in the coming years
    That was the moment I became a real fan of the Pacers. I only had a passing interest until then.
    https://twitter.com/DrogsNavan

Change is neither good or bad, it simply is.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IrishPacer For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Oladipo isn't going to surpass or even reach PG's level. PG is a perennial All-Star and Oladipo isn't going to be that. But he is still young enough to have room for improvement. He may even reach the level of almost star (like Dragic and Teague). And since he's so good defensively he may very well be more valuable than a number of the other almost stars. And honestly, this is good enough. Oladipo doesn't need to become just as good as Paul George for the trade to be good. The trade has already been good because it beats the alternative of losing PG for nothing or getting back a bad pick and Jae Crowder. The only other comparable trade was the Denver one. So, no one can really put any blame on Pritchard for the trade itself (people can blame him for failing to trade PG earlier but this is still mostly on Bird).

Now, about the team in general. Look, we're not going to be a high seed. Heck, our chances of making the playoffs are quite slim to begin with. And that's fine. We don't need to make the playoffs. And, as far as I know, this is one of the few cases in modern Pacers history that the FO themselves have said that the playoffs aren't their primary goal. The goal is to give minutes to our younger players and focus on their development. I guess that this is why people are excited. We're finally seeing a departure from the focus to always make the playoffs which for a lot of people is synonymous with focusing on being mediocre. Personally, I believe that this depends on the team. When we focused on the playoffs with the GH/Lance/PG/West/Roy squad we had every reason to do so. We weren't mediocre back then. We were good. But last season? Yeah, that was mediocre. So, a reset is welcomed by most people here.

Pritchard's moves, in general, have been quite good so far. The CoJo trade is amazing (shout-out to CJ Miles for helping us facilitate it) and both of his FA signings have been useful vets on short contracts. He has managed our cap space well and he seems to be placing us in a position to have a lot of cap space two years from now. In other words, it seems like he has a plan. And that's something that the franchise has dearly needed for a while since the last plan we had was Bird's infamous 3-year plan. The 3-year plan was successful so we're hoping that this plan is successful as well. But most importantly we're happy to have a plan at all. Bird hasn't really had a plan ever since that ECF team collapsed.

Another cause for excitement is that the young players we have gotten have a reputation of being hard-workers. Oladipo and CoJo also have a reputation of being good defenders and that's a vast improvement compared to last year's guard rotation. We may even have a chance to create an identity for our team this season. It's easy to get behind a team like that.

So, yeah. Oladipo won't reach PG's level and our chances of making the playoffs aren't that high but there are a lot of reasons to be excited about.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    Empty vessels make the most noise.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I haven't had a chance to read the entire thread. With that said my thoughts on the subject are this.

Oladipo won't surpass Paul George in talent or on court production. However the package that we got in return for Paul may very well end up being better than going forward with Paul George as he was.

In other words I honestly believe this years upcoming team will be almost as good as last years team was but IMO far far far more appealing to watch and root for. Last years team was literally the second most unlikable team (for me) that we have ever had.

Don't get me wrong, I thought Paul was great and would have been all in with doing everything to keep him here. But at the end of the day if we couldn't bring in the A listers to be with him we would have gotten sad and sulking Paul which can be very frustrating to watch. When he is ON, he is really one of the top 10 (at least) player in the NBA. But when he is not ON he is almost just like any other player who plays in the NBA.

I know people are predicting doom and gloom with this lineup, and in the end you may be right. But I honestly believe once they gel we will have a very fun lineup that I think will surprise lot of people.

But in the end, no VO will not surpass PG in talent. However I hope I'm wrong and your right.
    It would be absolutely mind blowing to me if that happened
    Sittin on top of the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    Oladipo isn't going to surpass or even reach PG's level. PG is a perennial All-Star and Oladipo isn't going to be that. But he is still young enough to have room for improvement. He may even reach the level of almost star (like Dragic and Teague). And since he's so good defensively he may very well be more valuable than a number of the other almost stars. And honestly, this is good enough. Oladipo doesn't need to become just as good as Paul George for the trade to be good. The trade has already been good because it beats the alternative of losing PG for nothing or getting back a bad pick and Jae Crowder. The only other comparable trade was the Denver one. So, no one can really put any blame on Pritchard for the trade itself (people can blame him for failing to trade PG earlier but this is still mostly on Bird).

Now, about the team in general. Look, we're not going to be a high seed. Heck, our chances of making the playoffs are quite slim to begin with. And that's fine. We don't need to make the playoffs. And, as far as I know, this is one of the few cases in modern Pacers history that the FO themselves have said that the playoffs aren't their primary goal. The goal is to give minutes to our younger players and focus on their development. I guess that this is why people are excited. We're finally seeing a departure from the focus to always make the playoffs which for a lot of people is synonymous with focusing on being mediocre. Personally, I believe that this depends on the team. When we focused on the playoffs with the GH/Lance/PG/West/Roy squad we had every reason to do so. We weren't mediocre back then. We were good. But last season? Yeah, that was mediocre. So, a reset is welcomed by most people here.

Pritchard's moves, in general, have been quite good so far. The CoJo trade is amazing (shout-out to CJ Miles for helping us facilitate it) and both of his FA signings have been useful vets on short contracts. He has managed our cap space well and he seems to be placing us in a position to have a lot of cap space two years from now. In other words, it seems like he has a plan. And that's something that the franchise has dearly needed for a while since the last plan we had was Bird's infamous 3-year plan. The 3-year plan was successful so we're hoping that this plan is successful as well. But most importantly we're happy to have a plan at all. Bird hasn't really had a plan ever since that ECF team collapsed.

Another cause for excitement is that the young players we have gotten have a reputation of being hard-workers. Oladipo and CoJo also have a reputation of being good defenders and that's a vast improvement compared to last year's guard rotation. We may even have a chance to create an identity for our team this season. It's easy to get behind a team like that.

So, yeah. Oladipo won't reach PG's level and our chances of making the playoffs aren't that high but there are a lot of reasons to be excited about.
    Potential to be Like Dragic or Teague? Really? That's pretty low standards for max potential for a guy who has shown what Oladipo has in his first 4 years.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to brownjake43 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Acedash

This coming from a Bucks fan lol
    I may have to change my rank from "Member" to "(Not Literally) A Bucks Fan"

Panopticon

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I may have to change my rank from "Member" to "(Not Literally) A Bucks Fan"
    Listen here cowboy, as long as you have an actual buck as your avatar your rank means nothing. Especially now that I know you were named after Giannis Antetokuonmpo.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have not really watched Oladipo since he entered the NBA, so I cannot really talk about his potential. Most of my opinion is based on his year-to-year stats progression. In my opinion, Oladipo has a good chance of making the all-star game between 1 and 3 times over his career. He has a slight chance to make it 4+ times. In my opinion, if he reaches that slight chance he will be at worse on par with Paul George. He most likely will never get the same accolades as Paul, but that is because accolades are rarely determined by a pure skill standpoint.

From what I have seen Oladipo is almost on par with Paul offensively already. If he makes similar leaps as he has every year he has been in the league statistically he will be on par or better than Paul in every way except maybe 3p%. This mostly speaks to how overrated Paul is offensively, but you know flashy dunk yay! Where Paul is still significantly better is defense, which is something that Oladipo still should have a high ceiling, he might just need some coaching up (wish we still had Vogel for that...thank you Bird ). Oladipo most likely will never be able to guard as many positions as well as Paul, he just isn't tall enough, but he should be able to guard the guard positions just as well as Paul is capable of.

Oladipo is 25, but more importantly he has only played 4 seasons. In my research I have found years in the NBA > age in terms of potential to improve, there is a limit to that, but Oladipo is still young enough for that to matter. Next year will most likely be Oladipo's last season to make any potential leaps in his abilities. The good thing is his biggest weakness on offense is 3p%, which is also the easiest skill to improve on once you enter your prime. Another skill easy to improve on once you enter your prime is defense. The reason for this is neither relies on athleticism. Shooting is pure skill, there is no athleticism required. Defense does require some athleticism, but the majority of what makes a good defender is effort, intangibles (knowing what to do when), and long arms. Oladipo has long arms, and is fully capable of putting in the effort. He might just need to be coached up some on the intangibles.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by brownjake43 View Post
    Potential to be Like Dragic or Teague? Really? That's pretty low standards for max potential for a guy who has shown what Oladipo has in his first 4 years.
    Unfortunately, All-Star selections are mainly about a player's offensive production. I have no doubt that Oladipo will end up becoming a much better overall player than Dragic and Teague due to his superior defense. But offensive production along with team success is what really determines who becomes an All-Star and who isn't so I have a hard time picturing Oladipo becoming a perennial All-Star. I don't see him averaging 23 to 25 PPG in the future nor I see us becoming a high seed quickly and that's the only way that Oladipo could become a perennial All-Star.

Panopticon

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Listen here cowboy, as long as you have an actual buck as your avatar your rank means nothing. Especially now that I know you were named after Giannis Antetokuonmpo.
    Hey, I wasn't named after Giannis. Heck, I'm older than him. It's just that Giannis is the second most popular Greek name

Panopticon

In being well received by Pacers fans? Yes

Beyond that? No

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I can see Dipo making an All Star team in the East. I don't think he's reached his full potential. He's got a great opportunity here to be the #1-2 option while coming into his prime years. He'll be motivated no doubt. I think he can get close to 20 ppg next year.

http://basketball.realgm.com/player/...ul-George/2305

While it may not mean much, Oladipo's career highs are not very far off from what Paul has been able to produce. Take into account that Paul has had 3 more seasons to get numbers and the fact that he's been on far better teams than Victor give Paul the advantage. If you get nothing more from this, atleast you'll see that Victor has great talent and ability. The question is how much more upside does he have.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LA_Confidential For This Useful Post:

Unfortunately, All-Star selections are mainly about a player's offensive production. I have no doubt that Oladipo will end up becoming a much better overall player than Dragic and Teague due to his superior defense. But offensive production along with team success is what really determines who becomes an All-Star and who isn't so I have a hard time picturing Oladipo becoming a perennial All-Star. I don't see him averaging 23 to 25 PPG in the future nor I see us becoming a high seed quickly and that's the only way that Oladipo could become a perennial All-Star.
    Ron Artest and Roy Hibbert would like a word with you. Sure maybe you are right for the most part, but IMO Dipo is already on a level higher than those two because he is a better defender but similar offensive skill. And his speed and athleticism is what sets him apart. Faster and more athletic than Teague who is pretty fast, a better offensive player, and a better defender. Also his size shouldn't matter because he should be our 2 guard. We do need a legit small forward I guess.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Midcoasted View Post
    Ron Artest and Roy Hibbert would like a word with you. Sure maybe you are right for the most part, but IMO Dipo is already on a level higher than those two because he is a better defender but similar offensive skill. And his speed and athleticism is what sets him apart. Faster and more athletic than Teague who is pretty fast, a better offensive player, and a better defender. Also his size shouldn't matter because he should be our 2 guard. We do need a legit small forward I guess.
    Neither Ron nor Roy were perennial All-Stars. Ron made the All-Star team once and Roy made it twice. And they all played in very good teams (which matters when it comes to picking All-Star). More than that, Roy was an absolutely dominant defender at the time. He was dominant that he forced LeBron to go for floaters instead of facing him at the rim. If someone is that dominant of a defender and plays in a top team then yeah, he'll make the All-Star team even if his offensive production isn't that high.

My whole argument was that I don't see Oladipo becoming a perennial All-Star. I do believe that he can make 1 or 2 All-Star teams. I just don't think that he can become as good as PG who is a perennial All-Star and has even been in the discussion for MVP. That's all.

Panopticon

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Didn't Peck once say about Young PG that his trade value would never be higher? The NBA is so much about situation and environment. I will never say never about a young players potential to blossom into a star.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to kent beckley For This Useful Post:

The Dragic and Teague comps still make 0 sense, Teague is a 15 pts / 7 ast guy at this point, and Dragic is a 17 pts / 5.5 ast guy.

Oladipo was in that league already. To say his ceiling is those guys would be absurd. He's going to have a much bigger role next season than he ever has, and he is obviously eager for the opportunity (as referenced by him telling Nate & KP he wants his usage rate to go up next season). Again, if he starts getting to the FT line and/or hits the 3 ball at an improved rate, he's going to break out. He will probably average 22-23 ppg next season.

Nbadraft.net said Tony Allen as a comp. I don't see that. He moves like Leandro Barbosa. I mean like his gait and styles of penetrating, he's much more a defender than the Brazillian blur I think. I can't think of a good comp for Dipo, need to see him more.

Does he have a go to move, does he have a money shot spot on the floor?

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    The Dragic and Teague comps still make 0 sense, Teague is a 15 pts / 7 ast guy at this point, and Dragic is a 17 pts / 5.5 ast guy.

Oladipo was in that league already. To say his ceiling is those guys would be absurd. He's going to have a much bigger role next season than he ever has, and he is obviously eager for the opportunity (as referenced by him telling Nate & KP he wants his usage rate to go up next season). Again, if he starts getting to the FT line and/or hits the 3 ball at an improved rate, he's going to break out. He will probably average 22-23 ppg next season.
    I'll that that bet ! No way he averages more than 20.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to immortality For This Useful Post:

It's also about opportunity a lot of times. It's easy to hate on a guy and say he can't do it simply because he hasn't done it. And in reality, he just never really had the opportunity.

Let's see how Paul George does playing with Russell offensively. We will see if he is still 20+ or not. Idk.

We can be a much better team than we were with Paul without Oladipo out doing Paul. My point about Victor Oladipo is that he can be DAMN GOOD in his own right and a key piece to a future Pacers team that actually gets to the finals. And people should be excited about that.

And the biggest strides we've made have been in the front court. Turner, Sabonis, Adigbogu, Leaf, Young and maybe Stokes is a pretty solid group with a ton of upside. Much improved over last year. Sabonis in particular has upside and if he can develop a consistent three point shot.......I mean you combine that with Myles Turner and his shooting, and you might have something unique there you can build off of.

I would love to see this potential lineup

Joseph
    Oladipo
    Bogdanovich
    Sabonis
    Turner

That's a pretty good shooting front court (again if Sabonis can improve its a great one, which he should), with two guards that can penetrate and attack in the pick and roll. And you have good size and can play a switching type of defense, which I really like in today's game.

And you still have Collison, Stephenson, Leaf & Young off the bench. That's not horrible. And the east isn't that good. I could see them getting to .500 on heart.

Which is the most under rated thing. This team is gonna have heart. Sabonis plays hard. Myles Turner plays hard. Oladipo plays hard. Lance plays hard. Cory Joseph is gonna play hard. They might have something last year's team never had. An identity. We are gonna out work people and that can take you a long way in today's NBA.
    "Don't get caught watchin' the paint dry"

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Taterhead For This Useful Post:

Mood

How does Oladipo compare to PG under THE EYE TEST?!?!
    Lifelong pacers fan

32. The Following User Says Thank You to pacers_heath For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacers_heath View Post
    How does Oladipo compare to PG under THE EYE TEST?!?!
    We will find out come November.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    We will find out come November.
    I'm pretty sure we will discuss it now. People are really bored.
    Lifelong pacers fan

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pacers_heath For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pacers_heath View Post
    I'm pretty sure we will discuss it now. People are really bored.
    How many people here have actually watched a meaningful amount of games since Oladipo entered the NBA? Highlights, and only when he plays the Pacers isn't really enough of an eye test.

How about the brain test. This is such a typical summer thread...lol
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Folks are getting pretty testy around here.

Or is that teste ??