Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 197

Thread: Oladipo Has A Chance to Surpass Paul George

  1. #151

    Default Re: Oladipo Has A Chance to Surpass Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Let us agree to terms in sight of our brothers (and sisters).
    Say your terms. We can do an avatar bet since neither of us have one.

  2. #152
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    29
    Posts
    39,840

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Oladipo Has A Chance to Surpass Paul George

    Granger's got a higher bar than some of you give him credit for.

    HIs offensive peak was higher than PG's for example though not quite as long and ultimately undone by his knees.



  3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  4. #153
    Member pacers_heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,768
    Mood

    Default Re: Oladipo Has A Chance to Surpass Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Granger's got a higher bar than some of you give him credit for.

    HIs offensive peak was higher than PG's for example though not quite as long and ultimately undone by his knees.
    If you go by PPG only. Gotta consider the bad teams he was on. Granger really couldn't do much more than shoot. I guess he could catch and finish and post up. He couldn't put the ball on the floor and create his own shot like Paul. Paul has a way bigger arsenal of moves and I don't even think Paul is that crafty. Granger just had a really limited, boring offensive game.

    Is it just me or has Granger has gotten slightly romanticized around here since he left?
    Last edited by pacers_heath; 07-11-2017 at 10:44 PM.
    Lifelong pacers fan

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to pacers_heath For This Useful Post:


  6. #154
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    29
    Posts
    39,840

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Oladipo Has A Chance to Surpass Paul George

    You're way underrating Granger's back to the basket game against smaller players.



  7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  8. #155

    Default Re: Oladipo Has A Chance to Surpass Paul George

    I had no clue Victor had a 42 inch vertical.

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:


  10. #156
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    17,302

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Oladipo Has A Chance to Surpass Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by pacers_heath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you go by PPG only. Gotta consider the bad teams he was on. Granger really couldn't do much more than shoot. I guess he could catch and finish and post up. He couldn't put the ball on the floor and create his own shot like Paul. Paul has a way bigger arsenal of moves and I don't even think Paul is that crafty. Granger just had a really limited, boring offensive game.

    Is it just me or has Granger has gotten slightly romanticized around here since he left?
    Say what you will about Danny's "limited" offensive game, he was a bonafide offensive player in his peak.

    He was a classic "stick to what ya know" kind of guy. And for him that was high volume 3pt shots, high volume FTA, and post ups against smaller players.

    He would have been an incredible #3 guy on a contender but had to pretend to be a #1 guy for many years during his peak. Its a shame he broke down when he did, the stretch 4 role of today would have been perfect for him.

  11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:


  12. #157

    Default Re: Oladipo Has A Chance to Surpass Paul George

    Granger was a really good offensive player, but speaking about Oladipo, I think he has a realistic chance to surpass Granger. PG not so much.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:


  14. #158
    Member Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    26,830

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Oladipo Has A Chance to Surpass Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Granger was a really good offensive player, but speaking about Oladipo, I think he has a realistic chance to surpass Granger. PG not so much.
    As an all-around player he can indeed surpass Granger. But as an scorer, I'm not so sure.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Empty vessels make the most noise.

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:


  16. #159
    Member pacers_heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,768
    Mood

    Default Re: Oladipo Has A Chance to Surpass Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Say what you will about Danny's "limited" offensive game, he was a bonafide offensive player in his peak.

    He was a classic "stick to what ya know" kind of guy. And for him that was high volume 3pt shots, high volume FTA, and post ups against smaller players.

    He would have been an incredible #3 guy on a contender but had to pretend to be a #1 guy for many years during his peak. Its a shame he broke down when he did, the stretch 4 role of today would have been perfect for him.
    I don't know why you put 'limited' in quotes. You don't think his game was limited? Stick to what you know doesn't make him any less limited. He had his good point but honestly I thought he was a little bit of a ball hog and thought he was better than he actually was.
    Lifelong pacers fan

  17. #160
    Member pacers_heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,768
    Mood

    Default Re: Oladipo Has A Chance to Surpass Paul George

    I feel like nobody liked danny that much when he was actually playing but once bird 'betrayed' him now everyone acts like he was some saint.
    Lifelong pacers fan

  18. #161
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    17,302

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Oladipo Has A Chance to Surpass Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by pacers_heath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know why you put 'limited' in quotes. You don't think his game was limited? Stick to what you know doesn't make him any less limited. He had his good point but honestly I thought he was a little bit of a ball hog and thought he was better than he actually was.
    No, I dont think he was limited offensively

    He wasn't naturally talented like a PG but I dont know many limited players that averaged between 18 and 26 ppg over a 5 year stretch.

    If he's limited then I hope the Pacers get a few more limited offensive players over the next few years.

    As far as the ball hog thing goes, I think I was okay that he wasn't making the extra pass to Travis Diener or Luther Head. But that's just me

  19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:


  20. #162
    Administrator Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    39
    Posts
    51,480

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Oladipo Has A Chance to Surpass Paul George

    I'm as big a Dipo fan as you'll find around here, but his ceiling just isn't as high as where Paul George already is right now.

    However, whatever Dipo's ceiling is, he'll reach it. He's as committed to improvement and hard a worker as I've seen.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:


  22. #163
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    57
    Posts
    17,012

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Oladipo Has A Chance to Surpass Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by pacers_heath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I feel like nobody liked danny that much when he was actually playing but once bird 'betrayed' him now everyone acts like he was some saint.
    Good lord, the whole Danny debate was one of the reasons the term "fanboy" is considered a pejorative around here.

    Just because the anti-Danny crowd was extremely loud and incredibly prolific does not elevate them to the point that their opposition was "nobody".
    BillS

    A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

  23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  24. #164

    Default Re: Oladipo Has A Chance to Surpass Paul George

    Lets try this again. Stats on 4th year VO and PG shot distance.

    VO Shot Distance (5ft) FGM FGA FG%
    Less Than 5 ft. 163 286 57
    5-9 ft. 17 48 35.4
    10-14 ft. 35 83 42.2
    15-19 ft. 56 130 43.1
    20-24 ft. 104 270 38.5
    25-29 ft. 37 112 33
    PG Shot Distance (5ft) FGM FGA FG%
    Less Than 5 ft. 182 328 55.5
    5-9 ft. 28 69 40.6
    10-14 ft. 59 149 39.6
    15-19 ft. 104 265 39.2
    20-24 ft. 106 237 44.7
    25-29 ft. 97 296 32.8
    Last edited by Gamble1; 07-12-2017 at 01:46 PM.

  25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:


  26. #165

    Default Re: Oladipo Has A Chance to Surpass Paul George

    VO vs PG in the paint stats.

    VO Shot Area FGM FGA FG%
    Restricted Area 159 270 58.9
    In The Paint (Non-RA) 40 104 38.5
    PG Shot Area FGM FGA FG%
    Restricted Area 178 306 58.2
    In The Paint (Non-RA) 51 140 36.4

    VO Shot Area FGM FGA FG%
    Left Corner 3 16 41 39
    Right Corner 3 32 69 46.4
    Above the Break 3 79 240 32.9
    PG Shot Area FGM FGA FG%
    Left Corner 3 26 50 52
    Right Corner 3 25 54 46.3
    Above the Break 3 131 390 33.6
    Last edited by Gamble1; 07-12-2017 at 02:00 PM.

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to Gamble1 For This Useful Post:


  28. #166
    Member pacers_heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,768
    Mood

    Default Re: Oladipo Has A Chance to Surpass Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good lord, the whole Danny debate was one of the reasons the term "fanboy" is considered a pejorative around here.

    Just because the anti-Danny crowd was extremely loud and incredibly prolific does not elevate them to the point that their opposition was "nobody".
    Okay fine, most people then? Jeeze, whats your point?
    Lifelong pacers fan

  29. #167
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    57
    Posts
    17,012

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Oladipo Has A Chance to Surpass Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by pacers_heath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Okay fine, most people then? Jeeze, whats your point?
    Not even "most people". A minority of people around here didn't like Danny. To claim that "nobody liked Danny that much" is patently false.
    BillS

    A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
    Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

  30. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  31. #168

    Default Re: Oladipo Has A Chance to Surpass Paul George

    I apologize if I am interrupting the derailing of this thread but I think to the point of VO maybe reaching PG's level I think its not crazy to think that. I think its natural for everyone to be pessimistic especially after losing a star player but VO is not that far off and he especially hasn't shown yet to be distracted by strippers and night life that could in theory prevent PG from really being a top 5 player.

  32. #169
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    24,522

    Default Re: Oladipo Has A Chance to Surpass Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're way underrating Granger's back to the basket game against smaller players.
    Heck, it underrates his ballhandling.

    It was easy to watch tape and criticize Danny's handles, but I never saw a good explanation of why he got fouled so much. If somebody's just a one-trick shooter, they don't collect nearly as many foul shots as Danny did.

    Danny wasn't as pretty an offensive player as PG was. He never had that effortlessness. But he was really, really effective until his knees gave out.
    This space for rent.

  33. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:


  34. #170
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    34,736

    Default Re: Oladipo Has A Chance to Surpass Paul George

    I don't know how anyone could not like Danny Granger. Maybe you don't think he was as good as what others think, but nothing about him not to like at all.

  35. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  36. #171
    Member pacers_heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,768
    Mood

    Default Re: Oladipo Has A Chance to Surpass Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know how anyone could not like Danny Granger. Maybe you don't think he was as good as what others think, but nothing about him not to like at all.
    I like the guy. But I saw someone describe him on here recently as the vocal leader of the 2012-2014 when west was on the team. I feel like he is just remembered for being better than he was, or in this case something he never was
    Lifelong pacers fan

  37. #172
    Member pacers_heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,768
    Mood

    Default Re: Oladipo Has A Chance to Surpass Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Heck, it underrates his ballhandling.

    It was easy to watch tape and criticize Danny's handles, but I never saw a good explanation of why he got fouled so much. If somebody's just a one-trick shooter, they don't collect nearly as many foul shots as Danny did.

    Danny wasn't as pretty an offensive player as PG was. He never had that effortlessness. But he was really, really effective until his knees gave out.
    I think people overrate his effectiveness. He shot really low fg% in his high scoring seasons for a SF of his size. I think he was more of a volume scorer than a good one.
    Lifelong pacers fan

  38. #173
    Member Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    26,830

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Oladipo Has A Chance to Surpass Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by pacers_heath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think people overrate his effectiveness. He shot really low fg% in his high scoring seasons for a SF of his size. I think he was more of a volume scorer than a good one.
    FG% is not the best calculator of effectiveness, though, as it completely ignores the fact that 3 point shots are worth more than 2 point shots. eFG% and TS% are just superior stats if what you're looking for is offensive efficiency. Danny's career eFG% was .500 while his career TS% was .560.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Empty vessels make the most noise.

  39. #174
    Pacer fan since 1993 Ragnar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Age
    45
    Posts
    7,082

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Oladipo Has A Chance to Surpass Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by pacers_heath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I feel like nobody liked danny that much when he was actually playing but once bird 'betrayed' him now everyone acts like he was some saint.
    I dont think so, Danny has been popular since he was drafted. He was the first hope post Reggie that the team could be good again and that we could find a new star.

  40. The Following User Says Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:

    sav

  41. #175

    Default Re: Oladipo Has A Chance to Surpass Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I apologize if I am interrupting the derailing of this thread but I think to the point of VO maybe reaching PG's level I think its not crazy to think that. I think its natural for everyone to be pessimistic especially after losing a star player but VO is not that far off and he especially hasn't shown yet to be distracted by strippers and night life that could in theory prevent PG from really being a top 5 player.
    Thanks for the tables, it certainly looks promising statistically. Time will tell, but I absolutely expect that anyone claiming Oladipo will merely be decent will be proven wrong in short order.

    Meanwhile, there's a debate raging over a ghost.

  42. The Following User Says Thank You to 3rdStrike For This Useful Post:

    sav

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •