Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Oladipo Has A Chance to Surpass Paul George

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Oladipo Has A Chance to Surpass Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I apologize if I am interrupting the derailing of this thread but I think to the point of VO maybe reaching PG's level I think its not crazy to think that. I think its natural for everyone to be pessimistic especially after losing a star player but VO is not that far off and he especially hasn't shown yet to be distracted by strippers and night life that could in theory prevent PG from really being a top 5 player.
    I think its absolutely crazy to think that VO could be an annual AS, All NBA'er and Olympian. BUT..I'd absolutely love to be wrong.

If VO can somehow manage to even make 2 AS games during his time in Indy, I'd be pleasantly surprised.

If he somehow made a crazy leap at 25, I'd be the driver of the bandwagon all the way to the ECF.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It's a shame Danny got hurt because he honestly would've been the perfect stretch 4 in today's game.

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Danny Granger won over my heart when he shattered his teeth on the court. That is all I need to know about Danny Granger.

As far as Oladipo goes, Offensively his career highs pretty much match up to Paul's career highs, except 3p%, up until last year. So I have little doubt he will be as efficient as PG. Where the difference comes into play is selfishness. How often Oladipo calls his own name will determine if he produces as much as Paul. Once Paul got a taste of the limelight he tended to call his number more often than he should which resulted in a drop in his efficiency which only recovered last season. If you look at it from a per 100 possession point of view. In 15-16 Oladipo took 20.4 shots per 100 possession opposed to Paul taking 25.5. On those 25.5 Paul averaged 33points per100 exactly. Oladipo averaged 24.2 on his 20.4. If Oladipo had shot it 25.5 times his per100 average would have been 30.4 points, only 2.6 points off from Paul. That same season Paul averaged 9.3FTA per100 while Oladipo only averaged 5.2FTA per100. At 9.3FTA per100 Oladipo would have a per100 average of 33.8 points, 0.8 points higher than Paul.

In conclusion, as you can see through extrapolation Oladipo already has it in him to match Paul. What we don't know is if he will be able to realize this potential.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

It won't take much for this team to be better than last year's team. The team last year was one of the least talented teams since the Murphleavy years.

If it wasn't for Lance and PG going off to win the last 5 games in a row, the team would've been in the lottery.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    I think its absolutely crazy to think that VO could be an annual AS, All NBA'er and Olympian. BUT..I'd absolutely love to be wrong.

If VO can somehow manage to even make 2 AS games during his time in Indy, I'd be pleasantly surprised.

If he somehow made a crazy leap at 25, I'd be the driver of the bandwagon all the way to the ECF.
    So I took the time to look at more stats and one thing jumps out to me. VO has trouble on the road and especially last year. His defensive rating goes to crap and drops almost 6 points. His offensive rating drops by almost 6 points and his TS% drops by almost 6%. I don't necessarily think that is uncommon and PG seemed to have years like that as well but it does sort of explain his drop of production. Digging a little deeper you can see how much he struggled with back to backs with 0 rest. That could also be the scheduled opponent but overall if he finds his game on the road then he will see a bump in his efficiency especially on the defensive end.

Location GP MIN OffRtg DefRtg
    Home 35 33.3 107.2 99.3
    Road 32 33.1 101.6 105.1
    Days Rest GP MIN OffRtg DefRtg
    0 Days Rest 13 32.4 98.2 106
    1 Days Rest 43 33.7 106.5 101.5
    Days Rest TS%
    0 Days Rest 48.4
    1 Days Rest 55.1

Mood

Victor is not, and never will be quite as good as PG. But he could be nearly as good, and a better teammate. He could try hard every game. He could be happy to be here. I've seen worse trades even if it were straight up. If D Sab lives up to his potential then in a couple years we wont want to trade back. It's a big if but...
    Go Pacers!

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to solid For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Heck, it underrates his ballhandling.

It was easy to watch tape and criticize Danny's handles, but I never saw a good explanation of why he got fouled so much. If somebody's just a one-trick shooter, they don't collect nearly as many foul shots as Danny did.

Danny wasn't as pretty an offensive player as PG was. He never had that effortlessness. But he was really, really effective until his knees gave out.
    Danny was a pretty bad ball handler and playmaker. That was one my issues with his game. For a guy that took a majority of the teams possessions, he really didn't make his teammates better. He did attack the basket quite a bit which is why he got a lot of free throws, but he attacked the rim with tunnel vision which, if not fouled, ended with an ugly attempt at the rim because he just couldn't find people and he wasn't a great finisher around the rim. He could shoot the lights out though and was fun to watch during a ****** time to be a Pacer fan. Even people that disliked his overall game still liked Danny and thought he was good dude and class act. He just had some limitations for a go to type player.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:

Not so sure about "passing Paul George", but the dude is certainly a hard worker:

Impressive. Good eariy sign.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

I'd say Victor has a 13% chance of surpassing what PG did in the Pacer's uniform. I think he will have career years here. But I don't think he has the skillset to do what PG did here. Nor does he have the supporting cast. Defensively, PG was elite with Hill, Hibbert, and West.

Mood

Dipo seems to be more respected by national media more than on this board

SI ranked him #74 for top 100 players of 2017
    NBA Rank had him at #58 last year among all players

Puts him right there with Myles. If you're 58th in the league saying you are a borderline all-star isn't a huge exaggeration.

I haven't watched the guy play much, but him plus a young prospect is almost fair given the situation. It's certainly decent at worst.
    Last edited by pacers_heath; 07-14-2017 at 01:46 PM.
    Lifelong pacers fan

The bottom line is we don't need Oladipo to surpass Paul George. We just need him to be a good two way player who can get 18 PPG on one end and play great defense on the other end. If Oladipo can limit his mistakes, there is absolutely no reason this can't be the case for a guy just now entering his prime.

19. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Undefeated

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    The bottom line is we don't need Oladipo to surpass Paul George. We just need him to be a good two way player who can get 18 PPG on one end and play great defense on the other end. If Oladipo can limit his mistakes, there is absolutely no reason this can't be the case for a guy just now entering his prime.
    A little less talent with a lot less drama could be a net positive for the team.
    Danger Zone

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Rogco View Post
    A little less talent with a lot less drama could be a net positive for the team.
    before the trade demand, what drama did PG cause???

23. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    before the trade demand, what drama did PG cause???
    The entire year of trade speculation and Lakers rumors that preceded it.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacers_heath View Post
    If you're 58th in the league saying you are a borderline all-star isn't a huge exaggeration.
    No one is saying that calling Dipo a borderline All-Star is an exaggeration. What people call an exaggeration is saying that he can become as good as Paul George. And Paul George isn't just a borderline All-Star. He's a perennial All-Star who has been in the MVP discussion. He's two or three tiers above a borderline All-Star and at this point we cannot really be sure that Dipo can reach that level. He may do it but it's far from a given.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    Empty vessels make the most noise.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    The entire year of trade speculation and Lakers rumors that preceded it.
    Not really sure it was as dramatic as people are claiming after the fact. If anything the Pacers were too meh for most people to notice either way.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

LOL PG > Oladipo
    I'm a Beast

That's an unfair thing to say. Oladipo = Oladipo and he's a fine player on his own. He will be very good in Indiana, but in no way is he the same type of player with the same type of impact as Paul George.

He's a nice two-way player with good athleticism and an improving three-point shot. But the Pacers need to form a collective, play more teamball than ever, play with pride night in night out to have a good season.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to PaulGeorge24 For This Useful Post:

Is VO ready to lead? PG sure never was. And if VO is ready to lead, can he physically play a brand of basketball that makes his leadership credible? Can he hit a shot when the team needs a basket? Can he dig in and play defense when the team needs a stop? Can he get to the gym early and work the hardest when the team needs an example? Can he support the coach when the coach needs backup? Can he he keep everyone in line and communicate with the front office to make sure problems are headed off?

And can he hit a game winner?
    Nuntius was right for a while. I was wrong for a while. But ultimately I was right and Frank Vogel has been let go.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Is VO ready to lead? PG sure never was. And if VO is ready to lead, can he physically play a brand of basketball that makes his leadership credible? Can he hit a shot when the team needs a basket? Can he dig in and play defense when the team needs a stop? Can he get to the gym early and work the hardest when the team needs an example? Can he support the coach when the coach needs backup? Can he he keep everyone in line and communicate with the front office to make sure problems are headed off?

And can he hit a game winner?
    This is where I give him a real chance. PG was obviously the most talented guy we had, and Oladipo probably never reaches that level on pure talent. But PG left A LOT to be desired in leadership, sacrifice, effort, and commitment. Oladipo has the reputation of excelling in a number of those areas. So if he really brings it and shows those qualities, along with Myles being a fiery guy on-court and very diplomatic off-court, I'm confident in these guys.
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

I'm not sure how leadership is graded or quantified, but a lot of times its a matter of opinion of favorite players. Look at a guy like Danny Granger. Some believe he was a leader, others dont. Idk that there is a right or wrong answer, just an interesting concept.

While leadership is important, it doesn't always have to come from the most talented player. From everything I've read, Reggie was never the leader of those 90 Pacer teams. Media spokesperson? Yes. Slayer of MSG? Yes. But not the leader of men on the court.

As long as a guy is getting it done on the court, we should could care less about perceived leadership. Production & improvement are key things to look at for VO IMO. Trying to anoint him as a leader will only put more pressure than what's already there.

Besides, its always best for a leader to emerge organically. Especially with a group of younger guys.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm not sure Dipo is gonna be the spiritual voice of the team, the calming vet presence that David West supposedly was. But why do we need him to be? What does that matter? I feel like Turner is our leader going forward. Dipo can just lead by example, show up, be a professional, be active in the community, come up big on the court. That's what I want him focusing on.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.