Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: OT: Video sports games reducing sports viewership?

  1. #1
    Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Richmond, IN
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,576

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: OT: Video sports games reducing sports viewership?

    Stern was talking about that, also. During halftime of game 6. What did he say he wanted to do to fix the problem?

    Make the games on T.V. more interactive and get more of the games on HD T.V. and what not.

    I play NBA Live and Madden, but would I say they're funner than the real thing. HELL NO.

    The video games will never match the realness of sports. They will never be accurate.

    Does Steve Nash, in real life, hit 4 three's in a row, while being contested? NO. What I just said, happens in NBA Live all the time, 'star' players almost always make their shots and it is very unrealistic.

    The day I chose to play Madden over watching the Colts, or NBA Live over watching the Pacers, is the day I put a gun to my head and pull the trigger.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions





  2. #2

    Default Re: OT: Video sports games reducing sports viewership?

    Quote Originally Posted by pacerfan2425
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Stern was talking about that, also. During halftime of game 6. What did he say he wanted to do to fix the problem?

    Make the games on T.V. more interactive and get more of the games on HD T.V. and what not.

    I play NBA Live and Madden, but would I say they're funner than the real thing. HELL NO.

    The video games will never match the realness of sports. They will never be accurate.

    Does Steve Nash, in real life, hit 4 three's in a row, while being contested? NO. What I just said, happens in NBA Live all the time, 'star' players almost always make their shots and it is very unrealistic.

    The day I chose to play Madden over watching the Colts, or NBA Live over watching the Pacers, is the day I put a gun to my head and pull the trigger.
    There are very few people who get this though. I mean hell I can't really say I blame some people for playing video games and not watching the games on t.v. or at the arena, especially if you are a Clippers fan. [But I blame you for beign a Clippers fan, shame on you!]

    Makes me want to never let my kids play video games should I ever have any.

  3. #3

    Default Re: OT: Video sports games reducing sports viewership?

    In a bizarre twist this past season, basketball viewership actually made me play less sports videogames. I was all ready to play ESPN 2k5 as the Pacers for an entire season. Then the brawl happened, and I lost interest, due to the fact that my video game team has Artest, JO, and Stephen Jackson on it. My wife even asked if Artest was going to get kicked out of the game when I got to the Pistons game late in December

  4. #4
    Banned Fool's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,408

    Default Re: OT: Video sports games reducing sports viewership?

    Those were pretty young kids (mostly 12-14, the oldest was 16). I chose video games instead of watching T.V. a lot when I was that young.

  5. #5
    Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Richmond, IN
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,576

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: OT: Video sports games reducing sports viewership?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Those were pretty young kids (mostly 12-14, the oldest was 16). I chose video games instead of watching T.V. a lot when I was that young.
    Well, hopefully, they'll change. I'm in that same age group (15) and I would never play a video game before watching any of my teams.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions





  6. #6
    3ptmiller
    Guest

    Default Re: OT: Video sports games reducing sports viewership?

    Yea i play alot NBA Live 2005 and i choose it over TV anytime! But not when there is a NBA game on TV... (which never happens in sweden )

  7. #7

    Default Re: OT: Video sports games reducing sports viewership?

    The games are interactive which probably grabs the casual fan, but most of us aren't casual fans, if we were we definately wouldn't root for the Pacers. No Glitz, No glamour, just basketball. To these kids if you can't make five 3's in a row your useless.

    I don't mean to hijack the thread, but when you play in the Association on NBA 2k5, dou you feel obligated to be the Pacers? I know I do.
    Life without water is tough, life without air is hard,life with one leg only is wobbly, Life without Reggie Miller, is impossible.

    Do Not Trade Austin

    Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Brunner
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Veteran Austin Croshere, the longest-tenured Pacers player on the roster, has proven reliable when called upon, invariably ready to step in regardless of the circumstance.

  8. #8
    Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Richmond, IN
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,576

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: OT: Video sports games reducing sports viewership?

    Quote Originally Posted by 8.9_seconds
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The games are interactive which probably grabs the casual fan, but most of us aren't casual fans, if we were we definately wouldn't root for the Pacers. No Glitz, No glamour, just basketball. To these kids if you can't make five 3's in a row your useless.

    I don't mean to hijack the thread, but when you play in the Association on NBA 2k5, dou you feel obligated to be the Pacers? I know I do.
    Yeah, that probably dumbs the kids down, too. If they watched in real life, they'd expect T-mac to hit 6 three's in a row.........
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions





  9. #9
    Member Isaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    25
    Posts
    3,146

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: OT: Video sports games reducing sports viewership?

    Quote Originally Posted by 8.9_seconds
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't mean to hijack the thread, but when you play in the Association on NBA 2k5, dou you feel obligated to be the Pacers? I know I do.
    Yes. Very much so.

  10. #10
    sweabs
    Guest

    Default Re: OT: Video sports games reducing sports viewership?

    Quote Originally Posted by 8.9_seconds
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't mean to hijack the thread, but when you play in the Association on NBA 2k5, dou you feel obligated to be the Pacers? I know I do.
    It's funny you say that. I have had NBA Live 2005 for about a week now, and I've only used the Pacers aside from one or two teams.

    I want to go out and try other teams to see different players...but I just feel obligated to pick the Pacers every time. I love to see them win!

  11. #11
    3ptmiller
    Guest

    Default Re: OT: Video sports games reducing sports viewership?

    hehe... But i usually play it just because i had always fantasies of playing as a PG in NBA and alongside Reggie with Pacers... so thats what i do! I create a player that looks like me with exact same skills.. and i always dominate the League!! I have 30 assists per game and 20 ppg... which made Reggie average 50 ppg and gave him very many rings!

  12. #12
    Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Richmond, IN
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,576

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: OT: Video sports games reducing sports viewership?

    Quote Originally Posted by 3ptmiller
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    hehe... But i usually play it just because i had always fantasies of playing as a PG in NBA and alongside Reggie with Pacers... so thats what i do! I create a player that looks like me with exact same skills.. and i always dominate the League!! I have 30 assists per game and 20 ppg... which made Reggie average 50 ppg and gave him very many rings!
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions





  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    The Lone Star State
    Posts
    503

    Default Re: OT: Video sports games reducing sports viewership?

    Maybe the NBA should go this route...

    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colum...zillgitt_x.htm

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •