Thread: OT: Video sports games reducing sports viewership?

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: OT: Video sports games reducing sports viewership?

Stern was talking about that, also. During halftime of game 6. What did he say he wanted to do to fix the problem?

Make the games on T.V. more interactive and get more of the games on HD T.V. and what not.

I play NBA Live and Madden, but would I say they're funner than the real thing. HELL NO.

The video games will never match the realness of sports. They will never be accurate.

Does Steve Nash, in real life, hit 4 three's in a row, while being contested? NO. What I just said, happens in NBA Live all the time, 'star' players almost always make their shots and it is very unrealistic.

The day I chose to play Madden over watching the Colts, or NBA Live over watching the Pacers, is the day I put a gun to my head and pull the trigger.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Quote Originally Posted by pacerfan2425
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Stern was talking about that, also. During halftime of game 6. What did he say he wanted to do to fix the problem?

Make the games on T.V. more interactive and get more of the games on HD T.V. and what not.

I play NBA Live and Madden, but would I say they're funner than the real thing. HELL NO.

The video games will never match the realness of sports. They will never be accurate.

Does Steve Nash, in real life, hit 4 three's in a row, while being contested? NO. What I just said, happens in NBA Live all the time, 'star' players almost always make their shots and it is very unrealistic.

The day I chose to play Madden over watching the Colts, or NBA Live over watching the Pacers, is the day I put a gun to my head and pull the trigger.
    There are very few people who get this though. I mean hell I can't really say I blame some people for playing video games and not watching the games on t.v. or at the arena, especially if you are a Clippers fan. [But I blame you for beign a Clippers fan, shame on you!]

Makes me want to never let my kids play video games should I ever have any.

In a bizarre twist this past season, basketball viewership actually made me play less sports videogames. I was all ready to play ESPN 2k5 as the Pacers for an entire season. Then the brawl happened, and I lost interest, due to the fact that my video game team has Artest, JO, and Stephen Jackson on it. My wife even asked if Artest was going to get kicked out of the game when I got to the Pistons game late in December

Those were pretty young kids (mostly 12-14, the oldest was 16). I chose video games instead of watching T.V. a lot when I was that young.

Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    Those were pretty young kids (mostly 12-14, the oldest was 16). I chose video games instead of watching T.V. a lot when I was that young.
    Well, hopefully, they'll change. I'm in that same age group (15) and I would never play a video game before watching any of my teams.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions

3ptmiller

Yea i play alot NBA Live 2005 and i choose it over TV anytime! But not when there is a NBA game on TV... (which never happens in sweden )

The games are interactive which probably grabs the casual fan, but most of us aren't casual fans, if we were we definately wouldn't root for the Pacers. No Glitz, No glamour, just basketball. To these kids if you can't make five 3's in a row your useless.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but when you play in the Association on NBA 2k5, dou you feel obligated to be the Pacers? I know I do.
    Life without water is tough, life without air is hard,life with one leg only is wobbly, Life without Reggie Miller, is impossible.

Do Not Trade Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Brunner
    Veteran Austin Croshere, the longest-tenured Pacers player on the roster, has proven reliable when called upon, invariably ready to step in regardless of the circumstance.

Quote Originally Posted by 8.9_seconds
    The games are interactive which probably grabs the casual fan, but most of us aren't casual fans, if we were we definately wouldn't root for the Pacers. No Glitz, No glamour, just basketball. To these kids if you can't make five 3's in a row your useless.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but when you play in the Association on NBA 2k5, dou you feel obligated to be the Pacers? I know I do.
    Yeah, that probably dumbs the kids down, too. If they watched in real life, they'd expect T-mac to hit 6 three's in a row.........
    Super Bowl XLI Champions

Yes. Very much so.

sweabs

It's funny you say that. I have had NBA Live 2005 for about a week now, and I've only used the Pacers aside from one or two teams.

I want to go out and try other teams to see different players...but I just feel obligated to pick the Pacers every time. I love to see them win!

3ptmiller

hehe... But i usually play it just because i had always fantasies of playing as a PG in NBA and alongside Reggie with Pacers... so thats what i do! I create a player that looks like me with exact same skills.. and i always dominate the League!! I have 30 assists per game and 20 ppg... which made Reggie average 50 ppg and gave him very many rings!

Quote Originally Posted by 3ptmiller
    hehe... But i usually play it just because i had always fantasies of playing as a PG in NBA and alongside Reggie with Pacers... so thats what i do! I create a player that looks like me with exact same skills.. and i always dominate the League!! I have 30 assists per game and 20 ppg... which made Reggie average 50 ppg and gave him very many rings!
    Super Bowl XLI Champions

Maybe the NBA should go this route...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colum...zillgitt_x.htm