Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: Cory Joseph for CJ Miles being finalized

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Cory Joseph for CJ Miles being finalized

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus Jax View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not the last time but I was dead wrong...still not sure why Joe is on the team though.
    One contract was guaranteed. The other wasn't.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    One contract was guaranteed. The other wasn't.
    Also, Joe Young has a spot as the 3rd PG. Niang is at least 4th PF on the depth chart. Maybe if we had traded Thad, then Niang could have taken his spot. But I guess that's not happening, at least not soon.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong....but that sounds like some pretty smart GM'ing right there between KP and whoever on the Raptors side.
    I think what happened is that Miles wanted a player option on the 3rd and final year of his contract, which isn't allowed in a sign and trade. So Toronto will just sign him using their non-taxpayer MLE instead of acquiring him in a sign and trade.

Toronto actually gets a traded player exception in the amount of Joseph's salary, which they wouldn't have gotten in a sign and trade. That's the only real addition to the acquisition besides Preldzic.
    #DBAP

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    WE GAVE THEM PRELDZIC?!

who's that?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    He's no Stanko, that's for sure!

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Deadshot For This Useful Post:

Wait wait wait... I didn't realize we had to give up Emir Preldzic. I hate this trade now.

Who's Emir Preldzic again?
    This space for rent.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Mood

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

It's been enough days to once again say how much I love this trade. I'm probably more excited to see what happens with him than anything.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

KP is building the foundation people. Acquiring Cory Joseph for CJ Miles is one of the better moves the Pacers have made in several years.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Mood

Pacers.com has a story on Cory. Also a video interview. He was at the fieldhouse today to meet with Nate and to meet the press.

"He's one of the few guards in the league who still picks up fullcourt," McMillan said. "I love that about him. He's a two-way guy."
    http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/josep...enhance-future

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Strummer For This Useful Post:

Joseph is by far my favorite player added to the team. I hope he starts and I hope he plays 35 minutes a game.

19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Cory is easily my new favorite Pacer. I hope he can find a long term home here

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Joseph is by far my favorite player added to the team. I hope he starts and I hope he plays 35 minutes a game.
    Agreed. He plays much taller than his size, so you can stick him out there at SG with Collison in some lineups.

I think Toronto's best lineup featured Lowry with CoJo playing off ball.

I agree with everyone. I think he instantly steps in as the best defender on the team and the best leader. I've always liked him. Plus he has championship experience.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    Agreed. He plays much taller than his size, so you can stick him out there at SG with Collison in some lineups.

I think Toronto's best lineup featured Lowry with CoJo playing off ball.
    I really want to see what Oladipo and CoJo can do. That's a pretty nasty defensive pairing, and if CoJo continues to improve on his 3pt shot, could be fun.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I get why they brought in DC, there's crap at backup point (except you know who), but hope this doesn't turn into George Hill and... Darren Collison again where we're sticking a guy at the 2 just the play him when he should be supplanting DC.

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    I really want to see what Oladipo and CoJo can do. That's a pretty nasty defensive pairing, and if CoJo continues to improve on his 3pt shot, could be fun.
    Add Lance at the 3 and that's 3 strong, athletic guys that play aggressively.

May not work for long periods due to a lack of shooting, but thats a lineup that could run a team ragged for a few minutes

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post

May not work for long periods due to a lack of shooting, but thats a lineup that could run a team ragged for a few minutes
    I can't remember who said it here earlier (Nuntius?), but there was a comment here that young guys here in Indiana should establish their identity upon defense first. I couldn't agree more.

That lineup + Turner and Sabonis could be another one of those "let's see if we can keep the score under 80 for fun" kind of teams given enough time to play together. I think GRIII and Lance are swappable based upon opponent. If we made the playoffs with that floor strategy, I wouldn't even be mad (I was ready for a full on youth movement).

Hope we see that lineup at some point during preseason.
    Last edited by docpaul; 07-18-2017 at 01:50 PM.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I get why they brought in DC, there's crap at backup point (except you know who), but hope this doesn't turn into George Hill and... Darren Collison again where we're sticking a guy at the 2 just the play him when he should be supplanting DC.
    Should be my 2nd biggest concern with Nate, but my biggest concern is that he's not going to make the right decisions on who to start/play together.

He's already made up his mind on Bojan, and I think he should wait on that. I fear DC will start.

GR3 retweeted Nate's statement about Bojan starting.....gotta love the start we're getting on team chemistry.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post

That's the lineup I'm paying to see next season.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    Should be my 2nd biggest concern with Nate, but my biggest concern is that he's not going to make the right decisions on who to start/play together.

He's already made up his mind on Bojan, and I think he should wait on that. I fear DC will start.

GR3 retweeted Nate's statement about Bojan starting.....gotta love the start we're getting on team chemistry.
    This hit me kinda wrong too. However, Nate qualified with "first day of training camp ... and then we'll see." So he may be merely supporting KPs decision to sign Boj -- and for far more than GRIII is currently making. He may be leveraging the "competition is good" adage as motivation for GRIII. He may be hinting at the better fit of a pure-shooting SF with drive-and-dish guards. Or he may be yelling, "KP, you'd better get me a SF upgrade!"

I remain skeptical about GRIII's growth, and maybe Thad will see some time at SF, but I'm still holding out hope for a multi-team trade that lands us one of Portland's pieces, particularly either Harkless or Aminu. (An upgrade at back-up center would be nice too.) Keep KP's directive in mind: "size and toughness at every position." Either soon or at mid-season, I think he'll add a piece.
    Last edited by DrFife; 07-18-2017 at 02:05 PM.

"I think if he is and we pass on Leaf we'd be some dumb mother ****ers."

- Larry Bird to Kevin Pritchard before their pick on Draft Day

37. The Following User Says Thank You to DrFife For This Useful Post:

I don't think Nate has a set starting lineup going into camp. Nothing wrong with giving the veteran guys - Collision, Bojan and Thad a head start. But I guarantee when Nate meets with Cory that he tells him, yes the starting job is yours to win in training camp, preseason, before the regular season, and at any point during the season. Plus Cory will likely get some decent time at shooting guard, with the flexibility Lance gives us.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

I got to admit, the way some of you guys are hyping up Cory, I'm intrigued now to see how he does here.

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    I can't remember who said it here earlier (Nuntius?), but there was a comment here that young guys here in Indiana should establish their identity upon defense first. I couldn't agree more.

That lineup + Turner and Sabonis could be another one of those "let's see if we can keep the score under 80 for fun" kind of teams given enough time to play together. I think GRIII and Lance are swappable based upon opponent. If we made the playoffs with that floor strategy, I wouldn't even be mad (I was ready for a full on youth movement).

Hope we see that lineup at some point during preseason.
    I can confirm that I have said that we should establish an identity based around defense. I simply believe that we have the roster to do that. Before we got CoJo, I liked a Lance/Dipo/GRIII/Sabonis/Turner lineup but now with CoJo I'm fine with a CoJo/Dipo/Lance/Sabonis/Turner lineup as well. Perimeter 4s would still be a weakness for this lineup (neither Sabonis nor Turner are good at guarding perimeter 4s) but I like it a lot. It's a lineup based around athleticism, defense, youth and potential. It's very easy to sell a fanbase to something like that.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    Empty vessels make the most noise.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by DrFife View Post
    This hit me kinda wrong too. However, Nate qualified with "first day of training camp ... and then we'll see." So he may be merely supporting KPs decision to sign Boj -- and for far more than GRIII is currently making. He may be leveraging the "competition is good" adage as motivation for GRIII. He may be hinting at the better fit of a pure-shooting SF with drive-and-dish guards. Or he may be yelling, "KP, you'd better get me a SF upgrade!"

I remain skeptical about GRIII's growth, and maybe Thad will see some time at SF, but I'm still holding out hope for a multi-team trade that lands us one of Portland's pieces, particularly either Harkless or Aminu. (An upgrade at back-up center would be nice too.) Keep KP's directive in mind: "size and toughness at every position." Either soon or at mid-season, I think he'll add a piece.
    What bothered me was GRIII has been on the team and has started games for us. But saying "he'll be starting the first day of training camp, and then we'll see" definitely leaves the door open. Nate certainly wasn't afraid to change the lineup last season with some of the vets we had, so I don't think for a second that he'll have any issue swapping guys around this year. Bojan might be a great fit offensively, but he's not the defender or athlete that GRIII is. I expect both of them to get plenty of run as starter and/or bench, and alternate throughout the year.
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

on the Bojan being penciled in as a starter stuff, and DC seemingly having a leg up (somewhat rightfully so really). KP specifically said we're going to have a competition at every spot in camp.

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post: