Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bird Sees Impact Player Available in NBA Draft

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Bird Sees Impact Player Available in NBA Draft

I have a real sneaky feeling Bird is talking about Roko-Leni Ukic a 6-5 combo guard from Europe . Ukic , is being compared to Manu Ginobili . A very solid defender ( by Euro standards) to takes it to the hole. Just a wild thought.

Really its intresting Larry envision someone that good lasting that long that he'd be an impact player. We know Bird used Luke Jackson as a smoke screen wanting Ben Gordan all along. Gordan ,proved Larry was right about his value

I think the Bender deal was possible until Larry worked out someone he fell in love with.

The question is just who is this mystery guy? I think if Larry has 4 guys ,he feels can help at #17 the Bender thing is dead. Question is has Larry zeroed in on someone in particular? If he has I'd not be suprised to see Larry use Fred Jones and our pick to move up enough to insure getting him.

The little smile and comment - "He'll play ,even if I have to coach him " tells me Larry thinks he knows something about someone other NBA GM's don't.

As this draft nears , Larry's comments makes it very intriguing just what he has up his sleeve for the Pacers.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by diamonddave00
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have a real sneaky feeling Bird is talking about Roko-Leni Ukic a 6-5 combo guard from Europe . Ukic , is being compared to Manu Ginobili . A very solid defender ( by Euro standards) to takes it to the hole. Just a wild thought.

Really its intresting Larry envision someone that good lasting that long that he'd be an impact player. We know Bird used Luke Jackson as a smoke screen wanting Ben Gordan all along. Gordan ,proved Larry was right about his value

I think the Bender deal was possible until Larry worked out someone he fell in love with.

The question is just who is this mystery guy? I think if Larry has 4 guys ,he feels can help at #17 the Bender thing is dead. Question is has Larry zeroed in on someone in particular? If he has I'd not be suprised to see Larry use Fred Jones and our pick to move up enough to insure getting him.

The little smile and comment - "He'll play ,even if I have to coach him " tells me Larry thinks he knows something about someone other NBA GM's don't.

As this draft nears , Larry's comments makes it very intriguing just what he has up his sleeve for the Pacers.

That could almost be read as a slam at Rick's reluctance to play rookies.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

McCants
    Garcia
    May
    Diogu
    Warrick
    Jack
    Ukic

I suppose you could add Ukic to this list, I have not seen but maybe one
    mock show him being taken before 17. I suspect the Garcia talk is a smoke
    screen and Bird has his eye on someone. I know Ainge likes Ukic and probably will take him at 18.

owl

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Roko Ukic is just my thoughts. I know he worked out for the Pacers.

All I was doing by mentioning him ,was to point out Larry named 3 other Euroes but not Ukic. Being so young , 21 and combo guard , not sure how much Rick would play him.

My whole thought on whoever Larry picks , he seems to give the appearance -to me- that he thinks he knows something no one else drafting does.

Larry's ego is big, hopefully this isn't just him trusting himself too much.

Here is an interesting article on Boston's thought processes on who they should draft. Since they are right after the Pacers I found it interesting.

http://celtics.realgm.com/articles/2...s_years_draft/

owl

Sports Logo

At the 17th pick.....Bird should be able to draft a solid PF who is ready to play AHEAD of Croshere. Villanueva ( who I don't think will be there ) and May should be available at that time.

The reason why I target a PF is that there seems to be a wide range of PF who are either ready to go.....Villanueva/May....or has potential and some college level experience...Dioku/Warrick/Taft....or has big upside but little experience playing against the big boys.....like Petro.

Between Villanueva, May, Dioku, Warrick, Taft and Petro...the Pacers should be able to choose one that is better then Croshere.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by diamonddave00
    Roko Ukic is just my thoughts. I know he worked out for the Pacers.

All I was doing by mentioning him ,was to point out Larry named 3 other Euroes but not Ukic. Being so young , 21 and combo guard , not sure how much Rick would play him.

My whole thought on whoever Larry picks , he seems to give the appearance -to me- that he thinks he knows something no one else drafting does.

Larry's ego is big, hopefully this isn't just him trusting himself too much.
    You might be right! I don't know about you people, but I was very surprised when we drafted Freddie, so maybe we should be looking a little more down the list of potential first rounders, substract the non-college players and very young Europeans and look at how the remaining players played not only the last year, but the last TWO years in college. Also are there some players which have fallen substantially over the last half year, due to some sort of injury, whom would otherwise be considered a top-10-15 pick?

Offcourse, somehow knowing which spot Larry would want our rookie to be playing at would make things a LOT easier for us to determine which player(s) Larry is looking at.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Quote Originally Posted by owl
    Here is an interesting article on Boston's thought processes on who they should draft. Since they are right after the Pacers I found it interesting.

http://celtics.realgm.com/articles/2...s_years_draft/

owl
    Interesting article indeed!

Here's what they have listed as their top-10. Offcourse, they have other needs, but nonetheless interesting imo:

"After examing the options available for the Celtics in this draft at #18, I have constructed a big board of the top 10 players I think are and/or should be on our radar along with comments.

1. Roko Leni Ukic - Tall, talented PG. The next big thing out of Europe.

2. Yaroslav Korolev - A lot of hype, might not be justified (?)

3. Jarrett Jack - Tough, proven PG. Strong and plays lockdown defense.

4. Johan Petro - Legit C with a mean streak.

I'm not expecting these guys to be around by the time the Celtics pick at #18

5. Martell Webster - HS project, freefalling but undeservedly.
    6. Andray Blatche - The best kept secret of this year's draft.

These two high school projects are the two most likely choices.

7. David Lee - Our ideal big SF.

8. Julius Hodge - Tough, leader who could turn into a star.

9. Jason Maxiell - A tank. A SF form of Ben Wallace?

10. Francisco Garcia - Is and will be and underrated player.

If we walk away with any of these four, the draft still has to be considered a success."

Also this little snippet I passed upon:

"Left are the big small forwards, and just Ainge's luck, this draft is packed with them. I'll just run off a short list for you: Korolev, Ilyasova, Webster, Garcia, Warrick, Hodge, Lee, Gelabale, Gigli and Maxiell. These are all possible selections at small forward in our portion of the draft. I included power forwards like Warrick, Lee, Gigli and Maxiell who I think are athletic enough to fit the mold. Yaroslav Korolev is the most talented of the bunch, and he is either a product of excessive hype or he's the next Toni Kukoc or the next Skita. Either way, his stock is rising so fast there's little chance he slips past Indiana. So eliminate Korolev ."

Regards,

Mourning

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=12801

posted by Fig Newton:

"21 Phoenix - Yaroslav Korolev

Korolev will slip pretty far. Some people have had him projected as a lottery pick, but I think the European crop this year is vastly overrated and come lottery time, they'll slide pretty far down. Korolev will probably fall down here, but will be a good pick for the Suns. He's athletic and fast, a good ball handeler, a really complete player that will be a nice addition to the Phoenix Suns basketball team and their run-run-run Euro style. "

Well ... anyone knows a little bit more about this chap? He fits some molds it seems.

InsideHoops has him going at 12, in their june 23rd 2005 mock draft, with the Clippers, thats pretty high.

http://www.insidehoops.com/nba-mock-draft.shtml

Regards,

Mourning

Bird said he would coach him(whoever that is) if needed. I could see Bird
    coaching a 6'9" forward with playmaking skills. Bird tried to find his twin
    in Croshere, maybe he will try again in Koralev.

owl

What I'm reading about Korolev makes me think of Tayshaun Prince. 6'9", good wingspan, versitile skill set, good defender, but can disappear.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Remember, this is poker. I very much doubt Bird would ever actually name the person or persons he intends to draft.

So...what purposes does he advance with these comments? He is bumping up the value of the #17 position. "Could be better than number six this year!" he gushes.

My guess is he wants to trade the #17 pick for a current player (perhaps packaged in with a tradable Pacer). I don't think he'll trade for a higher spot in the draft. I'm expecting to hear a trade annoucement and expecting the Pacers not to draft anyone this year.

Depending on who we get, this could be a smart move. We don't need any more development right now.