Thread: Pacers content with 17th draft pick

PacersFan

Default Pacers content with 17th draft pick

June 22, 2005

Pacers content with 17th draft pick

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...RTS04/50622010

By Mike Wells
    mike.wells@indystar.com

Indiana Pacers President Larry Bird said this afternoon that the National Basketball Association team has been contacted about moving up in next week’s NBA Draft, but he thinks they can get a good player with the 17th pick.

“(What) some of the guys (teams) are asking for I don’t want to give up,” Bird said. “There’s a good possibility we’re going to stay there. But if we can get up there and get a player that can step right in and make a big impact on our team we’ll try to do that.”

The Pacers, who lost to the Detroit Pistons in the second round of the playoffs, have the 17th and 46th pick in the draft.

Bird wouldn’t say what specific position they’re looking to draft. A shooting guard is a possibility because of the retirement of Reggie Miller. Despite Miller’s retirement, the Pacers will still be one of the deepest teams in the NBA next season.

“It’s according to who’s there,” Bird said. “We feel like we have some areas where we need to get better. There’s going to be a group of guys there when we select. I think we have it figured out who is going to be there. We just have to make the decision on what we want.”

Call Star reporter Mike Wells at (317) 444-6053.

Looks like they're still trying to dispel some of those rumors and make it seem as though they will keep the pick.

Default Re: Pacers content with 17th draft pick

Dunno about Bird but if this came from Walsh I'd say it means nothing as to whether they'll keep their pick or not.

I always thought Donnie just liked to throw people off whack even if it didn't matter at all.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So who can impact the Pacers, and who can shoot?
    I think that there are only a couple good shooters in this draft who could make an impact right away that won't be there at 17. Antonine Wright is the first one, I also consider Danny Granger a solid shooter as well.

The guys who I think will be there at 17 is Rashard McCants, Yaroslav Korolev could also be there possiably but I doubt Indiana would want him, I think they will go for the best player avaliable.

I think that only leaves one player for Indiana to pick and that is Francisco Garcia. He fits the bill as a guy who can shoot and make an impact right away.

sweabs

Personally, if Rashad is available at #17, I'd like to see us take him. I've heard of his "off-court" troubles, but you can't pass on talent; and he has plenty of it. You also never know - maybe making the NBA can smarten the kid up.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarey
    Personally, if Rashad is available at #17, I'd like to see us take him. I've heard of his "off-court" troubles, but you can't pass on talent; and he has plenty of it. You also never know - maybe making the NBA can smarten the kid up.
    That is the one guy I want the Pacers to stay away from, I think the last thing Indiana should draft is a player with a questionable attitude.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

A useless article, Bird's just saying they haven't heard anything right now., but they would still consider moving up. It doesn't prove anything.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think it's down to 2 guys, Francisco Garcia or Rashad McCants. I don't see Rashad slipping to 17, and I like Francisco. I see us picking him.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    Dunno about Bird but if this came from Walsh I'd say it means nothing as to whether they'll keep their pick or not.

I always thought Donnie just liked to throw people off whack even if it didn't matter at all.
    My thoughts exactly!

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Mccants doesn't impress me. I'd take May, Diogu, Simien...hell... Lawrence Roberts over him....or Garcia and Hodge,,, Jarret Jack.... I could on.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyPacers67
    I think it's down to 2 guys, Francisco Garcia or Rashad McCants. I don't see Rashad slipping to 17, and I like Francisco. I see us picking him.
    That's the impression I get as well. Of course, this could all be BS.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

“(What) some of the guys (teams) are asking for I don’t want to give up,” Bird said. “There’s a good possibility we’re going to stay there. But if we can get up there and get a player that can step right in and make a big impact on our team we’ll try to do that.”

What some of these guys...which means that he hasn't heard any offers good enough.
    There's a good possibility...which means that nothing's changed & he is still listening for a good trade.
    But if we can get up there...which means what the above statement just said.

Sounds to me like he's perhaps bluffing a little...making it seem as though the pick is not available, which will entice the teams who want our pick to sweeten their deals...

Or not.

From what I've heard, if they've got their eye on Garcia, they should be able to trade down and still get him...I wonder if that's an option.

IndyToad
    Tastes delicious

Quote Originally Posted by indytoad
    From what I've heard, if they've got their eye on Garcia, they should be able to trade down and still get him...I wonder if that's an option.

IndyToad
    Tastes delicious
    It's conceivable. The problem is, word is everyone wants to trade down. You'd need someone who actually wants to trade up for that to happen.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Mood

I don't believe a word of Francisco Garcia at #17. He is this years Luke Jackson, everyone sees him as Reggie clone (which he really isn't).

Bird is going to pull of a trade to move up or he is going to pull a sleeper pick.

Quote Originally Posted by diamonddave00
    I don't believe a word of Francisco Garcia at #17. He is this years Luke Jackson, everyone sees him as Reggie clone (which he really isn't).

Bird is going to pull of a trade to move up or he is going to pull a sleeper pick.
    If you are right here, which is defentily possiable with Bird and Donnie, then I think a guy that they could suprise people with is CJ Miles.

Notice Bird said that they will try to trade up for a impact player, CJ, will be a good player, but isn't a immediate impact player.

This is going away from what the Pacers have been doing as of late, pick those college expierenced players, but the part about trading up for a impact player sort of indicates we might take a project.

I'm pretty sure he is staying in the draft, I don't think he pulled out.

Jesus Shuttlesworth

Quote Originally Posted by rommie
    If you are right here, which is defentily possiable with Bird and Donnie, then I think a guy that they could suprise people with is CJ Miles.

Notice Bird said that they will try to trade up for a impact player, CJ, will be a good player, but isn't a immediate impact player.

This is going away from what the Pacers have been doing as of late, pick those college expierenced players, but the part about trading up for a impact player sort of indicates we might take a project.

I'm pretty sure he is staying in the draft, I don't think he pulled out.

I said that in an earlier thread, I wouldn't mind CJ.

Mood

Nah Bird said no high schooler except Green , I believe him on that one.

You know a good man that would have been good to have, Dee Brown. I think that Dee could have provided us with quickness and excellent shooting, but it's too late now.
    Life without water is tough, life without air is hard,life with one leg only is wobbly, Life without Reggie Miller, is impossible.

Do Not Trade Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Brunner
    Veteran Austin Croshere, the longest-tenured Pacers player on the roster, has proven reliable when called upon, invariably ready to step in regardless of the circumstance.

foretaz

i, for one, would be absolutely shocked if they drafted garcia....i think i would bet everything in the world i own on that bet....i just dont see them drafting a so called reggie clone the year reggie retires....they know how that would be for the kid....he would stand no chance....all the reggie comparisons from day one would only set the kid up for failure in too many peoples eyes....i think they are way too smart for that

no way they draft garcia...none....

Not a bad point foretaz, but I don't even consider Garcia a Reggie clone. Just because he's a skinny guy who focuses a lot on outside shooting...

ok maybe you're right

Quote Originally Posted by rommie
    That is the one guy I want the Pacers to stay away from, I think the last thing Indiana should draft is a player with a questionable attitude.
    who has already shown that he's injury prone, and in his workouts "soft"...
    Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team. -- Scottie Pippen

Quote Originally Posted by jcouts
    who has already shown that he's injury prone, and in his workouts "soft"...
    At least he could keep JB company..

Damn!! Another Bender remark, I need to quit but I can't resist!!!!!

Must resist Temptation.......Must Resist.........
    Life without water is tough, life without air is hard,life with one leg only is wobbly, Life without Reggie Miller, is impossible.

Do Not Trade Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Brunner
    Veteran Austin Croshere, the longest-tenured Pacers player on the roster, has proven reliable when called upon, invariably ready to step in regardless of the circumstance.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Say uh Heysus....how about PM'ing me the unedited version of your avatar???

If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    Say uh Heysus....how about PM'ing me the unedited version of your avatar???

Dirty dirty....
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.