Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: So the depth chart is... what now?

Sports Logo

Default Re: So the depth chart is... what now?

I want the best defensive and rebounding team out there. I'm expecting Thad to be traded for a late pick.

Lance (24)/Collison (24)
    Dipo (36)/Lance (12)
    GR3 (32)/Bogdonovic (16)
    Sabonis (30)/Leaf (18)
    Turner (34)/Seraphin (14)

- Lance plays first 8 minutes of the 1st qtr. then comes back to start the 2nd with the bench.

- Lance defends the SF. Dipo gets the PGs.

That's about as good as we can get athletically, defensively, and on the boards.
    Last edited by CJ Jones; 07-09-2017 at 12:32 AM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I want the best defensive and rebounding team out there. I'm expecting Thad to be traded for a late pick.

Lance (24)/Collison (24)
    Dipo (36)/Lance (12)
    GR3 (32)/Bogdonovic (16)
    Sabonis (30)/Leaf (18)

- Lance plays first 8 minutes of the 1st qtr. then comes back to start the 2nd with the bench.

That's about as good as we can get athletically, defensively, and on the boards.
    Yea, if the Pacers are truly trying to win this season then defense, toughness, and size is the only way they'll be able to compete. We must differentiate ourselves from the competition and this would be the way to do it. Not a fan of dealing Thad for a pick, especially if we are truly trying to compete this year. Thad can do it all on the court and rarely makes a poor decision. He really is a great piece for a team looking to win.
    Last edited by croz24; 07-09-2017 at 12:53 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    My 3 and D definition.

Wing who is long and defends high flyer scorers well, while able to hit 40% of their 3's on medium volume. Maybe a guy that scores 12 points a game and can do a pretty good job on the Paul George's and Kawhi Leonard's of the NBA.
    You do realize that only 31 players shot 40% or more this season, don't you? And out of those 31 players 12 were either bigs or point guards -> http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/p...ntFieldGoalPct

The only players that could be classified as 3 & D under your definition are Allen Crabbe, Tony Snell, Arron Afflalo and possibly Courtney Lee. And you'd probably eliminate Afflalo due to his low volume (1 made three-pointer per game) and Lee due to not being able to hang with the best SFs in the league (he's mostly a SG stopper) so you're basically just left with Allen Crabbe and Tony Snell. Heck, your list even excludes Paul George and Kawhi Leonard because they shot less than 40% (PG shot 39.3%, Kawhi shot 38%).

Look, 3 & D literally just means that a player is a good shooter and a good defender. You don't need to be the absolutely best at it to be considered a 3 & D player. The league average for 3s this season was 35.8% -> http://www.basketball-reference.com/...NBA_stats.html

Personally, I believe that 37% or more is whether we should be looking at when we're talking about good shooters.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    Empty vessels make the most noise.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    You do realize that only 31 players shot 40% or more this season, don't you? And out of those 31 players 12 were either bigs or point guards -> http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/p...ntFieldGoalPct

The only players that could be classified as 3 & D under your definition are Allen Crabbe, Tony Snell, Arron Afflalo and possibly Courtney Lee. And you'd probably eliminate Afflalo due to his low volume (1 made three-pointer per game) and Lee due to not being able to hang with the best SFs in the league (he's mostly a SG stopper) so you're basically just left with Allen Crabbe and Tony Snell. Heck, your list even excludes Paul George and Kawhi Leonard because they shot less than 40% (PG shot 39.3%, Kawhi shot 38%).

Look, 3 & D literally just means that a player is a good shooter and a good defender. You don't need to be the absolutely best at it to be considered a 3 & D player. The league average for 3s this season was 35.8% -> http://www.basketball-reference.com/...NBA_stats.html

Personally, I believe that 37% or more is whether we should be looking at when we're talking about good shooters.
    There's also not a ton of minutes in the wings rotation to warrant paying someone big money for such a 3&D role with Dipo, Lance, Bogs, and GR3 all here. If someone is averaging 12 points per game and shooting 40% from 3 pt land, I'm assuming they're going to get a pretty good contract--much more than our current opening really requires.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    Yea, if the Pacers are truly trying to win this season then defense, toughness, and size is the only way they'll be able to compete. We must differentiate ourselves from the competition and this would be the way to do it. Not a fan of dealing Thad for a pick, especially if we are truly trying to compete this year. I don't mind the trade mentioned earlier in this thread of Thad for Carroll and OG, but Thad can do it all on the court and rarely makes a poor decision. He really is a great piece for a team looking to win.
    I thought I read KP wanted to play the young guys and wasn't concerned with the W/L record that's why I figured we might move Thad. If we can get any value out of him I think that's the best route. If we keep Thad, I'd go...

Lance/Collison
    Dipo/Lance
    GR3/Bogdonovic
    Thad (24)/Sabonis (12)/ Leaf (12)
    Turner (34)/Sabonis (14)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Start of Season w/Seraphin:

PG - Collison ( 30 mpg ) / Lance ( 18 mpg )
    SG - Dipo ( 30 mpg ) / Lance ( 12 mpg ) / GRIII ( 6 mpg )
    SF - Bojan ( 30 mpg ) / GRIII ( 18 mpg )
    PF - Thad ( 30 mpg ) / Myles ( 18 mpg )
    C - Myles ( 12 mpg ) / Sabonis ( 24 mpg ) / Seraphin ( 12 mpg )

Rest of Season w/Leaf:

PG - Collison ( 30 mpg ) / Lance ( 18 mpg )
    SG - Dipo ( 30 mpg ) / Lance ( 12 mpg ) / GRIII ( 6 mpg )
    SF - Bojan ( 30 mpg ) / GRIII ( 18 mpg )
    PF - Thad ( 30 mpg ) / Leaf ( 12 mpg ) / Myles ( 6 mpg )
    C - Myles ( 24 mpg ) / Sabonis ( 24 mpg )

I would run a lineup with Seraphin until Leaf is ready to handle some minimal but consistent minutes. Once he's ready, then I would swap him out with Seraphin.

I essentially be running the below lineup:

Starting Unit - DC / Dipo / Bojan / Thad / Myles
    6th Man - Lance
    Bench - GRIII / Sabonis / Leaf or Seraphin

I would want DC / Dipo / Bojan / Thad / Myles / Lance to each run 30 minutes then with GR III and Sabonis would both run 24 mpg and Leaf or Seraphin an average of 12 mpg.
    Last edited by CableKC; 07-09-2017 at 01:37 AM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post

Lance (24)/Collison (24)
    Dipo (36)/Lance (12)
    GR3 (32)/Bogdonovic (16)
    Sabonis (30)/Leaf (18)

Lance would defend the SGs in my best case scenario but other than that very small difference I agree. Play the young guys and try to drill the importance of defense and rebounding into them. That's how you can make those young guys into winning players.

Panopticon

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    My preference:

Lance/DC
    Dipo/Lance
    GR3/Bojan
    Sabonis/Young/Niang
    Turner/Seraphin

Will probably be:

DC/Lance
    Dipo/Player X
    Bojan/GR3
    Young/Player Y/Leaf
    Turner/Sabonis
    My thoughts exactly. While I know...not think...that Lance is the best option at PG, he may not get much of an opportunity to run the offense until the playoffs again.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

I agree. I probably wasn't being specific enough. 37-38% is probably good enough to qualify. 36% IMO is not a "good" shooter. OK, but not a guy known for hitting 3's. A threat is what I'm talking about.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

*cough*TylerHansbrough*cough*

17. The Following User Says Thank You to bphil For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I agree. I probably wasn't being specific enough. 37-38% is probably good enough to qualify. 36% IMO is not a "good" shooter. OK, but not a guy known for hitting 3's. A threat is what I'm talking about.
    36% is slightly above average. Slightly above average isn't the same as good but it's quite close to it.

Panopticon

Sports Logo Sports Logo

C: Turner, Seraphin, Sabonis, Jefferson
    PF: TYoung, Sabonis, Leaf, Niang
    SF: Bogdanovic, Robinson, Niang
    SG: Oladipo, Stephenson
    PG: Collison, Stephenson, JYoung
    Pacers fan since April 9th 2004 - New Jersey 80 Indiana 90.
    Visited Indianapolis from November 11-28th 2016, seeing eight Pacers games.
    Saw the Pacers in London, January 2017.

Should be this

Stephenson / DC
    Oladipo
    GR3 / Bojan
    Young / Sabonis
    Turner / Seraphin

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd like to see:

Lance/DC
    Oladipo/FA Bench guy
    Bojan/GRIII
    Sabonis/Young/Niang/Leaf
    Turner/Seraphin/Ike

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

If McMillan doesn't make the rotation like how I said, he should be fired immediately

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BornIndy07 For This Useful Post:

I thought most of the people watching SL felt Leaf would be a better prospect at the SF position? If there is a chance he could learn to defend and move his feet, wouldn't that give us more size and shooting than having him banging with PF his first year in the league? IMO, the Pacers are set up to be able to take the first half of the season to give the youth a chance to grow together, letting Lance, Myles and Thad provide leadership. There should be some teams at the half way point wanting to shed salary and/or trade for expiring contracts by then????

36% is slightly above average. Slightly above average isn't the same as good but it's quite close to it.
    I think we just have different standards for what a 3 and D guy represents. Danny Green is my prototype for a 3 and D player. Yes, his type is rare. He did average nearly 12ppg a couple years ago and shot 41.8%. He has a career 3% of 40%. He has 4 years where he exceeded 40% and averaged 38% last year. Others are Trevor Ariza, Demarre Carroll and maybe Jae Crowder. Ariza has had some spotty years shooting, but he's so good defensively. Demarre had an off year last year, but these are guys have size, length, defend well and can shoot the ball.

The issue I really have with this is people started talking about Solomon Hill being a 3 and D player. He might give you ok D, but his shooting isn't good enough for the cut IMO. He shot better last year, at 34.8%. But that's just not what I personally had in mind. I want the guy to be pretty deadly from 3 or to offset some of that with elite D.

George Hill has gotten closer to that standard the last 2 years. His shooting is good enough. His size is good for a guy only 6'3". But he's a bit lacking there IMO. IMO a 3 and D player is a guy who can guard guys like Kawhi, Harden, the Evil Paul George, etc. So, really, when I say 3 and D I probably mean a bit more than shooting and defense. I mean enough size to defend big wings. I probably need to work on my definition but that is really what I'm thinking a 3 and D player is.
    Last edited by BlueNGold; 07-09-2017 at 12:10 PM.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by bphil View Post
    *cough*TylerHansbrough*cough*
    I loved what Hans brought to the game when he was a Pacers. If only he could have hit that elbow shot.
    Garbage players get 1st round picks, (WTF)! All of the NBA must hate the Pacers! LOL

Joseph/Collison
    Oladipo/Joseph/Lance
    Lance/Robinson
    Young/Sabonis
    Turner/Seraphin

29. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    Joseph/Collison
    Oladipo/Joseph/Lance
    Lance/Robinson
    Young/Sabonis
    Turner/Seraphin
    I almost rather have GR3 start, and have Lance in a 6th man role. Oladipo, Turner, and Young should enough to hold down the Starting 5. If Sabonis is the really deal, I would love to bring Young off the bench with Lance.

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

31. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I think we just have different standards for what a 3 and D guy represents. Danny Green is my prototype for a 3 and D player. Yes, his type is rare. He did average nearly 12ppg a couple years ago and shot 41.8%. He has a career 3% of 40%. He has 4 years where he exceeded 40% and averaged 38% last year. Others are Trevor Ariza, Demarre Carroll and maybe Jae Crowder. Ariza has had some spotty years shooting, but he's so good defensively. Demarre had an off year last year, but these are guys have size, length, defend well and can shoot the ball.

The issue I really have with this is people started talking about Solomon Hill being a 3 and D player. He might give you ok D, but his shooting isn't good enough for the cut IMO. He shot better last year, at 34.8%. But that's just not what I personally had in mind. I want the guy to be pretty deadly from 3 or to offset some of that with elite D.

George Hill has gotten closer to that standard the last 2 years. His shooting is good enough. His size is good for a guy only 6'3". But he's a bit lacking there IMO. IMO a 3 and D player is a guy who can guard guys like Kawhi, Harden, the Evil Paul George, etc. So, really, when I say 3 and D I probably mean a bit more than shooting and defense. I mean enough size to defend big wings. I probably need to work on my definition but that is really what I'm thinking a 3 and D player is.
    And yet Danny Green wouldn't make the list of 3 & D guys this season because he shot less than 40%. I don't disagree that the people you mentioned are 3 & D players. They absolutely are. I just thought that the 40% threshold was a bit too high. That's all.

As far as Solo is concerned. I always called him a potential 3 & D guy. If he manages to fix his shooting and shoot at 36% clip or above then he will be a 3 & D guy. Right now, he's simply a defensive wing like Mbah a Moute.

And about GH. Most people talk about wings when they talk about 3 & D players. PGs aren't really called 3 & D even if they would otherwise fit that moniker. To me, George Hill is a Derek Fisher-type player. He is the PG that title teams with superstar wings want to have.

Panopticon

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    I almost rather have GR3 start, and have Lance in a 6th man role. Oladipo, Turner, and Young should enough to hold down the Starting 5. If Sabonis is the really deal, I would love to bring Young off the bench with Lance.
    If we have Joseph start, Lance is a good fit because he isn't a shot creator. Lance could be the point forward while Joseph plays more offball.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Joseph/DC/Buckets
    Oladipo/Lance
    GRIII/BoBan
    Thad/Sabonis/Leaf
    Myles/Seraphin/AlJeff

I'd be ok with D.C. starting and Joseph as the backup also. I think Nate will likely have to try a couple different lineups.
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    Joseph/Collison
    Oladipo/Joseph/Lance
    Lance/Robinson
    Young/Sabonis
    Turner/Seraphin
    Missing Bojan

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm interested to see how often we get a look at a Joseph, Oladipo, Robinson, Sabonis, Turner lineup.

39. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post: