Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 233

Thread: So the depth chart is... what now?

  1. #1
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    24,521

    Default So the depth chart is... what now?

    What a mess. How do we think this will go?

    Myles - Sabonis - Seraphin
    Young - Jefferson - Ike
    Bojan - Leaf - Niang
    Dipo - Lance - GR3
    Collison - Buckets - Sumner

    Is that the 15-man roster?
    This space for rent.

  2. #2
    Your New Starting PG BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    23,577

    Default Re: So the depth chart is... what now?

    Huh? Lance a backup? I don't think so.

    It will either be this:

    Myles - Sabonis - Seraphin - Jefferson
    Young - Leaf - Sabonis
    Bojan - Lance - Niang
    Dipo - GR3
    Lance - Collison - Sumner

    Or it will be this:

    Myles - Sabonis - Seraphin - Jefferson
    Young - Leaf - Sabonis
    Lance - Bojan - Niang
    Dipo - GR3
    Collison - Lance - Sumner - Buckets
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

  3. #3
    Member Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,916

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So the depth chart is... what now?

    Okay, I'm starting this over because I forgot Kevin Seraphin was on the roster.

    If Lance isn't our point guard:

    Collison/Young (or Lance?)
    Oladipo/Stephenson
    Bogdanovic/Robinson
    Young/Sabonis
    Turner/Seraphin

    If Lance isn't our point guard and we trade Young for a different piece, in this case probably a point guard:

    Collison/PGTBD
    Oladipo/Stephenson
    Bogdanovic/Robinson
    Sabonis/Leaf
    Turner/Seraphin

    If Lance is our point guard:

    Stephenson/Collison
    Oladipo/Stephenson? Robinson?
    Bogdanovic/Robinson
    Young/Sabonis
    Turner/Seraphin

    Lance at point guard and a Young trade:

    Stephenson/Collison
    Oladipo/SGTBD
    Bogdanovic/Robinson
    Sabonis/Leaf
    Turner/Seraphin

    And if Robinson has improved from last year, there's a chance he'll eventually swap places with Bogdanovic IMO.
    Last edited by Hicks; 07-08-2017 at 10:47 PM.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:


  5. #4

    Default Re: So the depth chart is... what now?

    Seeing Joe Young anywhere on a depth chart of ours is disgusting... Leaf is not a 3 and ideally Collison will be our 6th man.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Member PR07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    6,828

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So the depth chart is... what now?

    Leaf is not a 3. I'm guessing Thad gets moved, so Sabonis can start with Leaf backing him up. If that happens, there's a greater chance of Seraphin returning to be the backup center, although I'd expect Sabonis would see a lot of time at the 5 as well when Turner needs a breather.

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:


  9. #6
    Member Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,916

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So the depth chart is... what now?

    I keep forgetting about Seraphin. I'll edit my post.

  10. #7
    Member Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    26,825

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: So the depth chart is... what now?

    This is what I'd like:

    Myles - Seraphin or Sabonis - Seraphin or Sabonis - Ike
    Sabonis - Leaf - Niang
    GR3 or Bojan - GR3 or Bojan - Lance
    Oladipo - Lance - GR3
    Lance - Collison - Young - Sumner

    I'd like us to trade Thad and Al. Not sure we can find a trading partner for Al so I'd be fine with keeping him but I wouldn't use him as a part of the rotation. He could be the 3rd Center if the coaching staff deems that Ike is not ready yet (and he definitely is quite raw) but I don't want him to get a lot of minutes. We have a lot of young bigs and we need to feed them as many minutes as we can. That's the same reason I'd trade Thad.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Empty vessels make the most noise.

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:


  12. #8
    Your New Starting PG BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    23,577

    Default Re: So the depth chart is... what now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think there's possibly another trade or two to come (like sending out Young for a different piece, maybe a sign-and-trade of CJ Miles to his new team), so I think it's still a bit up in the air, but if we assume that nothing else happens:

    Collison/Young
    Oladipo/Stephenson
    Bogdanovic/Robinson
    Young/Leaf
    Turner/Sabonis

    I suspect they may trade or waive Al Jefferson, but if not he may not necessarily be the backup 5 again unless he shows up to camp in great physical condition. Maybe they keep him just to be a mentor on the bench.

    If they trade Young, I'm hoping it's for another point guard so we don't have to use Joe Young regularly, and I suspect Sabonis becomes the starting PF and then perhaps Al Jefferson becomes the backup 5, unless we go 9-man and make Sabonis both the starting PF and backup C, if he's ready for such heavy minutes. I'd be surprised if Ike is ready to be a rotation guy this year.

    I suppose I should add the possibility of Lance as the starting point guard. If so:

    Stephenson/Collison
    Oladipo/?
    Bagdonivic/Robinson
    Young/Leaf
    Turner/Sabonis

    But again in this case maybe Young is flipped for a shooting guard, or Lance plays the backup SG minutes.
    Tell me why Lance should be a backup when, come playoff time the Pacers will hand him the ball? Also, you know he will play starter minutes anyway. I don't get why people are unable to accept him as the starting PG. He could be a point forward, but our guards would be so small they would be eaten alive. Might as well just bite the bullet and hand Lance the keys. He's going to be driving that car at key times anyway.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  14. #9
    Member PR07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    6,828

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So the depth chart is... what now?

    Rotational Depth Chart:

    Collison/Lance
    Oladipo/Lance or GR3
    Bojan/GR3
    Sabonis/Leaf
    Turner/Sabonis or Seraphin

    Other thoughts:

    -Does anyone think that Al Jefferson can actually get his a$$ in shape this offseason and make an impact?

    -I did like Lance's chemistry with Seraphin in the 2nd unit.

    -I also like Lance more as a 6th man bringing energy and edge off the 2nd unit, than as a starter if it would relegate Collison to such a role otherwise.

    -I also think that if Lance and Oladipo both start, you have to start Bojan over GR3. There's not enough outside shooting in the first unit if that's not the case.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:


  16. #10
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    32
    Posts
    31,496

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So the depth chart is... what now?

    We need another wing and we need more depth at point guard.

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  18. #11
    Member Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    26,825

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: So the depth chart is... what now?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tell me why Lance should be a backup when, come playoff time the Pacers will hand him the ball?
    Playoff time? Seriously? Our moves make it pretty clear that making the playoffs is not the primary goal. Sure, we may get in because the players we have will probably play hard and bust their *** but playoffs are far from a given.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Also, you know he will play starter minutes anyway. I don't get why people are unable to accept him as the starting PG. He could be a point forward, but our guards would be so small they would be eaten alive. Might as well just bite the bullet and hand Lance the keys. He's going to be driving that car at key times anyway.
    Why does it matter? He's going to play starter minutes anyway so it makes no difference whatsoever. I never understood why people care so much about who's the nominal starter. It's the amount of minutes that the player spends on the court that matters, not whether he starts or not.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Empty vessels make the most noise.

  19. #12

    Default Re: So the depth chart is... what now?

    Stephenson/Collison
    Oladipo/GRIII/Sumner
    Bogdanovic/GRIII/Lance
    Young/Sabonis
    Turner/Seraphin
    Last edited by BlueCollarColts; 07-08-2017 at 11:01 PM.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:


  21. #13
    Member Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    26,825

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: So the depth chart is... what now?

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We need another wing and we need more depth at point guard.
    Trading Thad for a young SG (a pick would be fine as well) and picking up a young PG on the cheap would be the optimal moves for me. I use the word optimal because I don't think that we can actually do it but a man can dream
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

    Panopticon

    Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Empty vessels make the most noise.

  22. #14
    Member PR07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    6,828

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So the depth chart is... what now?

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We need another wing and we need more depth at point guard.
    A big, 3&D bench wing would be nice, but those are at a premium right now. I'm thinking maybe someone like Reggie Bullock, who fit that profile coming out of UNC, is still young at 26, and is a free agent. Besides GR3, either our wings are a bit short (Lance, Dipo) or can't play defense (Bojan).

    I don't think point guard is as big of a need with Lance, but you'd ideally like to have a safe, natural backup PG in case either Collison or Lance ever went down unless you're really a big, big believer in Joe Young taking another step forward. I was hoping we could flip CJ Miles for Tyus Jones of T-Wolves.
    Last edited by PR07; 07-08-2017 at 10:56 PM.

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:


  24. #15
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    32
    Posts
    31,496

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So the depth chart is... what now?

    Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A 3&D bench wing would be nice, but those are at a premium right now. I'm thinking maybe someone like Reggie Bullock, who fit that profile coming out of UNC, is still young at 26, and is a free agent.

    I don't think point guard is as big of a need with Lance, but you'd ideally like to have a safe, natural backup PG in case either Collison or Lance ever went down unless you're really a big, big believer in Joe Young taking another step forward.
    I'm not considering Joe Young at all. He's terrible.

    All these depth charts have Lance plugged into like three positions' rotations. Unless he's going to play 42 minutes, we need some more bodies there. Even if that is the plan, we need more bodies. Lance was banged up the vast majority of last season.

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  26. #16
    Your New Starting PG BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    23,577

    Default Re: So the depth chart is... what now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Playoff time? Seriously? Our moves make it pretty clear that making the playoffs is not the primary goal. Sure, we may get in because the players we have will probably play hard and bust their *** but playoffs are far from a given.



    Why does it matter? He's going to play starter minutes anyway so it makes no difference whatsoever. I never understood why people care so much about who's the nominal starter. It's the amount of minutes that the player spends on the court that matters, not whether he starts or not.
    Why does it matter? Because the team needs to practice together and get accustomed to their roles. If Lance is going to be asked to run the point like he did quite a bit against the Heat and Cavs in the playoffs, why not give him time to practice? Maybe get experience in the regular season so they can run some set plays and get better at it? What has become irritating is that the point guard, whether it be George Hill or Jeff Teague, has not run the point at times in the playoffs. Instead, that job is often given to Lance because he can get guys the ball easier and he can handle the physical pressure. Why not give Lance a chance to practice and improve that game they continue to ask him to play during the playoffs? That includes times where they back off of him and dare him to shoot. He needs to show he can do that. He did fine shooting nearly 40% last playoffs but he may do better given a chance to operate the offense year round and as his primary role.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

  27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  28. #17
    Member PR07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    6,828

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So the depth chart is... what now?

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not considering Joe Young at all. He's terrible.

    All these depth charts have Lance plugged into like three positions' rotations. Unless he's going to play 42 minutes, we need some more bodies there. Even if that is the plan, we need more bodies. Lance was banged up the vast majority of last season.
    I've since edited my post for more content, but yeah, I agree. GR3 is the only big wing we have who can play defense, as Lance and Dipo are a bit short and Bojan doesn't play defense. I was hoping maybe we could deal CJ Miles for Tyus Jones of the T-Wolves to give us a young point guard off the bench, but it looks like we might be holding out for an actual pick. I really do like Reggie Bullock for us though, he was the first guy I thought of for a bench role and happens to be a free agent.

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:


  30. #18
    Your New Starting PG BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    23,577

    Default Re: So the depth chart is... what now?

    Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've since edited my post for more content, but yeah, I agree. GR3 is the only big wing we have who can play defense, as Lance and Dipo are a bit short and Bojan doesn't play defense. I was hoping maybe we could deal CJ Miles for Tyus Jones of the T-Wolves to give us a young point guard off the bench, but it looks like we might be holding out for an actual pick. I really do like Reggie Bullock for us though, he was the first guy I thought of for a bench role and happens to be a free agent.
    Man, I don't know where this comes from. Lance is too short yet he's guarded LeBron James for years.

    I can only say I am thankful that KP is in charge. He will do the right thing, even if I disagree with it.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

  31. #19
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    32
    Posts
    31,496

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So the depth chart is... what now?

    Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've since edited my post for more content, but yeah, I agree. GR3 is the only big wing we have who can play defense, as Lance and Dipo are a bit short and Bojan doesn't play defense. I was hoping maybe we could deal CJ Miles for Tyus Jones of the T-Wolves to give us a young point guard off the bench, but it looks like we might be holding out for an actual pick. I really do like Reggie Bullock for us though, he was the first guy I thought of for a bench role and happens to be a free agent.
    That's pretty interesting. I saw the pick being reported in a S&T, but not the Tyus Jones thing. That would be a very worthwhile flier for the Pacers to take. CJ's probably going to walk anyway, and while I don't think Tyus Jones is going to be much of a player in the NBA, he's worth a look.

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  33. #20

    Default Re: So the depth chart is... what now?

    Yeah I don't buy the Lance is too small to be a SF talk. We stuck him on LeBron for long stretches, and he's easily the most physical wing in the league.

  34. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:


  35. #21
    Member PR07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    6,828

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So the depth chart is... what now?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Man, I don't know where this comes from. Lance is too short yet he's guarded LeBron James for years.

    I can only say I am thankful that KP is in charge. He will do the right thing, even if I disagree with it.
    In certain matchups, Lance is fine, but in other, he's not going to be fine. I think someone like Kevin Durant would have a field day shooting over him for instance. I'm not saying Lance is a liability by any means, but when GR3 is your only wing above 6'5" who can play defense, I think that's a roster deficiency and seems to be one that could be cured relatively easily at this point in the offseason and for pretty cheap.

  36. #22
    Your New Starting PG BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    23,577

    Default Re: So the depth chart is... what now?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah I don't buy the Lance is too small to be a SF talk. We stuck him on LeBron for long stretches, and he's easily the most physical wing in the league.
    Lance has a large wing span and he is very strong. However, now that he's lost weight I don't know how that will change his game. He will probably be a bit faster, but bodying up LeBron will actually be harder IMO. Still, he can handle the SF position easily. Heck, we had freaking CJ Miles at PF and he's 10 lbs lighter...and people thought the dude was the greatest PF of all time. ...smh.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

  37. #23
    Member PR07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    6,828

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So the depth chart is... what now?

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's pretty interesting. I saw the pick being reported in a S&T, but not the Tyus Jones thing. That would be a very worthwhile flier for the Pacers to take. CJ's probably going to walk anyway, and while I don't think Tyus Jones is going to be much of a player in the NBA, he's worth a look.
    I'm not huge on him either, but if you just wanted more of a natural point guard who could pass and take care of the basketball and effectively run an offense, he might not be a bad 3rd point guard to have to limit Lance's minutes.

  38. #24
    Your New Starting PG BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    23,577

    Default Re: So the depth chart is... what now?

    Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In certain matchups, Lance is fine, but in other, he's not going to be fine. I think someone like Kevin Durant would have a field day shooting over him for instance. I'm not saying Lance is a liability by any means, but when GR3 is your only wing above 6'5" who can play defense, I think that's a roster deficiency and seems to be one that could be cured relatively easily at this point in the offseason and for pretty cheap.
    Kevin Durant destroys just about any SF in the league. We don't have a single player who can come close to guarding Durant. Heck, Lance might be the best option.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

  39. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  40. #25
    Member PR07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    6,828

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: So the depth chart is... what now?

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kevin Durant destroys just about any SF in the league. We don't have a single player who can come close to guarding Durant. Heck, Lance might be the best option.
    My point is, he fits well matching up against LeBron because LeBron's game isn't shooting over you. It's using his immense strength and power to get to the rim, that's why Lance's height is never an issue against LeBron because he's well built at 6'5". However, his height could very well be an issue against taller wings who rely less on strength and more on shooting.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •