Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: So the depth chart is... what now?

Default Re: So the depth chart is... what now?

Wish they'd televise some blue vs gold scrimmages in camp. D.C., Dipo, GRIII, Thad, Myles vs CoJo, Lance, Bojan, Sabonis, Serafin. Who wins? Deep doesn't mean good but that's really two completely different style units imo.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by brownjake43 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who/what on the Miami roster stands out to you that makes them a lot better than Pacers/Pistons out of curiosity? Just having Whiteside rather than Turner or Drummond? Or Dragic as a PG? Waiters is real streaky but I guess some might think he's a real good player. I am honestly curious as I thought they overachieved greatly last year and they didn't really add much.
    They have a very good coach for one. Whiteside is better than Turner, Dragic is better than any PG we have. Waiters and Johnson are certainly a wild cards.

More than anything, I see them bringing everyone back while a lot of the conference has gotten worse. I think they naturally move into the playoff spot that they barely missed out on last year.

Whoo...What a year.. Guardshock's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm quite surprised Thad is still on our team. However he can be a FANTASTIC mentor for Leaf and Sabonis.
    Indiana State University Alum. Hardcore Pacers fan. Racecar Driver in need of sponsorship.

www.jjhughesracing.com

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Guardshock For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    Miami and Pistons will definitely make the playoffs. Avery Bradley will help a lot and is way more consistent. Also Bradley can be the leader Pistons kind of need and one they have been lacking.
    I'm not really convinced the Pistons are better than we are

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    They have a very good coach for one. Whiteside is better than Turner, Dragic is better than any PG we have. Waiters and Johnson are certainly a wild cards.

More than anything, I see them bringing everyone back while a lot of the conference has gotten worse. I think they naturally move into the playoff spot that they barely missed out on last year.
    Makes sense. I agree on all accounts except I think Miami overachieved in a pretty large way last year and I expect less from Waiters this year. Whiteside is really good defensively but I think Myles will be better offensively. That said I do have Miami 7th and Pacers 10th but just don't see huge separation 6-10 in the East.

Quote Originally Posted by brownjake43 View Post
    Makes sense. I agree on all accounts except I think Miami overachieved in a pretty large way last year and I expect less from Waiters this year. Whiteside is really good defensively but I think Myles will be better offensively. That said I do have Miami 7th and Pacers 10th but just don't see huge separation 6-10 in the East.
    I think slots 6-10 will all be teams around 32-40 wins.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Maybe I've missed some of the discussions, but has anyone suggested giving Leaf some good minutes at the SF? Something I read early after the draft implied that he might well be better suited to play on the wing than as a PF. His size would make him a young KD or a Porzingis if he has any skills there. Just wondered if I dreamed those quotes or if anyone else has seen him play enough to comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Just going off of what the coach said.
    So McMillan said that Lance will not start at small forward. I am patient enough to see what happens.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

Keep in mind, McMillan said that before the roster was complete. Adding someone like Joseph can change your plans.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    Keep in mind, McMillan said that before the roster was complete. Adding someone like Joseph can change your plans.
    I am afraid the message is that Lance is coming off the bench which would be idiotic.
    Lance is finally home. Whether he becomes our starting PG or he's 6th man, he's getting big minutes and he's here to stay. #llortontnia

Quote Originally Posted by Cousy47 View Post
    Maybe I've missed some of the discussions, but has anyone suggested giving Leaf some good minutes at the SF? Something I read early after the draft implied that he might well be better suited to play on the wing than as a PF. His size would make him a young KD or a Porzingis if he has any skills there. Just wondered if I dreamed those quotes or if anyone else has seen him play enough to comment.
    Yes, a few of us are in agreement that he should play some 3. I myself made the "poor man's KD if I drink enough" comment. In terms of physique he's more KD than Porzingis, as the latter has the Dirk body where you just know it's going to be a struggle to run at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I am afraid the message is that Lance is coming off the bench which would be idiotic.
    I don't think he comes off the bench but if he does, he's an instant 6th man candidate IMO.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

No worries. If Lance has his head on straight, he'll earn starter minutes.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't think he comes off the bench but if he does, he's an instant 6th man candidate IMO.
    You think he's going to start at the 3?

Lance is the best remaining player from last year's team based on their playoff performance. I don't think we acquired any godlike talent that warrants having him come off the bench. This is his team.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Either him or GR3 should start. Those guys need big minutes to see if they're part of the team's future going forward. Bojan probably isn't, and it sounds like he's incapable of defending so he needs to come off the bench imo.

I really don't understand why Nate wouldn't consider starting him there. He's longer and stronger than both GR3 and Bojan. And he's probably one of our better rebounders. I'm fine with him being the 6th man though as long it's GR3 and not Bojan starting ahead of him.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    Either him or GR3 should start. Those guys need big minutes to see if they're part of the team's future going forward. Bojan probably isn't, and it sounds like he's incapable of defending so he needs to come off the bench imo.

I really don't understand why Nate wouldn't consider starting him there. He's longer and stronger than both GR3 and Bojan. And he's probably one of our better rebounders. I'm fine with him being the 6th man though as long it's GR3 and not Bojan starting ahead of him.
    I don't have a problem with it, I was just asking. I still maintain the perfect role for Lance is 6th man, but if this is our roster heading into the season, I'd be fine with him starting on the wing.

Who starts doesn't matter as much as who finishes. And I'm guessing at the end of games it'll be Victor, Lance, Myles and whichever 2 guys are playing the best.

I wouldn't mind Lance coming off the bench in the 1st to spark the team.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to brownjake43 For This Useful Post:

I think it is worth giving Leaf a shot at playing the 3 to see how he does, but I'm not sold he is athletic enough to play the 3.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

So McMillan said that Lance will not start at small forward. I am patient enough to see what happens.
    I know that you have your horse in this game.....but does it really matter if Lance starts? Whether he starts or not is irrelevant, he's going to be getting at least 30 mpg at one of the Wing positions and will likely contribute far more this season to the success of this Team then last season.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    I think it is worth giving Leaf a shot at playing the 3 to see how he does, but I'm not sold he is athletic enough to play the 3.
    I really think that Leaf is the odd man out unless GR3 regrees.

Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

I can't wait until the season starts so people can watch TJ Leaf and understand that he has no business playing on the wing.

31. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I think he starts as a third wing, guarding the SF. I also think he is best served as a 6th man, but there aren't any wings on the roster that are better than he is either (Minus Victor of course)

I think he starts as a third wing, guarding the SF. I also think he is best served as a 6th man, but there aren't any wings on the roster that are better than he is either (Minus Victor of course)
    So, yes, the 3

Sports Logo

Lance is the best remaining player from last year's team based on their playoff performance. I don't think we acquired any godlike talent that warrants having him come off the bench. This is his team.
    Nate has said that the only locks so far are Myles at C and Oladipo at SG. All the other spots are open and my guess is that Lance has a shot at both PG and SF. Before the CoJo trade I'd say that Lance would get the nod over DC at PG but after that trade I'm not so sure anymore. It's not CoJo is a better player than Lance. I just believe that we acquired him to give him minutes and see what he can do so he will eventually get the nod at PG. SF is still wide open. Lance is the best option if you need a creator, GR3 is the best option if you need an athletic defender and Bojan is the best option if you need a shooter. So, it depends.

One thing is for sure. No matter if Lance starts or not he will still play a lot of minutes. I believe that at the end of the season Lance will have played the 2nd or 3rd most minutes on the team. I only see Oladipo and Myles playing more minutes than Lance unless injuries get in the way (and let's hope that they won't).
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    Empty vessels make the most noise.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post: