Thread: question for kstat and any other pistons fan

Default question for kstat and any other pistons fan

i was reading an article about darko in usatoday and was wondering your thoughts were on the kid 2 years after the draft.

do you regret drafting him and passing up wade or melo? do you want to keep or trade him?

i don't see how he is ever going to fit in detroit's plans over the next 4-5 years. rasheed and mcdyess are locked up for many years and big ben will more than likely get an extenstion within then next year.

Harmonica

Default Re: question for kstat and any other pistons fan

I'm not a Pistons fan, but I do admire them. How can you regret anything when you've won a championship in those 2 years and are one game away from repeating?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't ever think Darko will be as good as Melo, Bosh, and Wade are right now. And those 3 are going to improve. He'll easily be the worst player in the top 5 of that draft.

I've seen flashes, small glimpses, of what Dumars saw in him. He's a good passer, has the potential to be a good shotblocker, can shoot, and is athletic. He was actually decent the few times he played with the rotation players this season. However, too many times he looks absolutely clueless when he's out there, like he's never played basketball in his life. I've said Raef Lafrentz pre-injury (or maybe a poor man's Brad Miller) is the best case scenario for Darko, IMO.

But the Pistons have won one championship and are one win away from another in the Darko era. So you can't say it was a mistake. You just can't. Plus, blowouts are so much more interesting in the Darko era.

I don't think there should be any room for regret due to the Championship and overall full roster the Pistons have. Besides, I'm not sure the a Carmello or Dwade would fit into the pistons formula/rotation.
    Life without water is tough, life without air is hard,life with one leg only is wobbly, Life without Reggie Miller, is impossible.

Do Not Trade Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Conrad Brunner
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Veteran Austin Croshere, the longest-tenured Pacers player on the roster, has proven reliable when called upon, invariably ready to step in regardless of the circumstance.

If we had a do-over, Wade would be the guy I'd want. That said, I just wish Darko could get some meaningful minutes during the season (Piston's starters averaged too many minutes, there has to be 10 minutes/game somewhere). I can't judge him until I see him on a regular basis. I want to keep him until he proves he can't play.

Would you take Wade's potential career as a Piston if it meant forfeiting last year's championship?

Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Would you take Wade's potential career as a Piston if it meant forfeiting last year's championship?

No, last year was too fun. But, everytime I see Wade do his Jordan-like drives to the hole and picture the Wade, Billups, Rip 3-gaurd rotation...that could have been pretty special.

i was thinking the other day of what may have unfolded if they did select wade. that would have given them the flexibilty to make a run at shaq last summer. a ben wallace/hamilton/cap filler for shaq deal is much more appealing than odom & butler.

imagine a staring five of billups, wade, prince, wallace, and shaq.

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You cannot label Darko as a bust...

At least not yet.

He is a member of last year's NBA championship team and at LEAST, this year, a member of a Finals team, which is one win away from a second championship.

The Pistons have 3 All Stars, and could possibly have a 4th.

Therein lies the reason he hasn't played. He hasn't gotten a chance.

sc

Wasn't happy with the pick at the time and am still not happy.

I actually wanted the Pistons to draft Wade but got stuck with Darko. Sounds like T-shirt.

The strange thing is he looks terrible out there, but everyone that sees him practice says he is really good. I know there are practice players and game players, is he one or is Larry Brown hampering his development.

Who knows, all I know is Dumars may have scarificed a dynasty with that pick.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

First of all, I'd rather have FOREFITTED the pick than taken Carmello.

As for Wade, maybe if we pick him, we're not struggling at the trade deadline, and Joe very well may not have moved heaven and earth to get Rasheed Wallace. Its very easy to say AFTER the fact, but we probably wouldn't have gotten Sheed if it we picked Wade.

As for DArko, a 4-man frontcourt rotation is not unheard of. I think he'll play next year.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

I feel like some of you are comparing the Darko languishing on the bench to the second coming of MJ himself - DWade from Miami.

MAYBE if DWade had gone to detroit and Darko had gone to Miami we'd be having the antimatter version of this discussion.

Kstat's comment about maybe not getting sheed was right on the money.

Speculation. Is there a 20-20 hindsight smilie?

sc

I disagree Brown knew the Pistons were soft in the front court and was clamoring for Rasheed all Season.

I believe they make deal no matter who they select @ #2

The problem is, if you take anyone of those guys, you gotta take out someone from the championship formula

Wade, you gotta take out Billups
    Bosh, gotta take out either Wallace
    Carmelo, gotta take out Prince.

They drafted something they didn't have at the time, a PF, Okur was their PF, not Rasheed
    Sorry, I didn't know advertising was illegal here. Someone call the cops!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Another thing is that I've always been curious as to how Darko would have done if he'd gotten the opportunity Nenad Krstic has in New Jersey.

foretaz

people will probably laugh at this....but the darko situation looks scary similar to the jermaine oneal situation....

too talented of a front court for a talented young player to break the rotation..

spends couple years on pine....

practices everyday with the great frontline (rasheed in both places)

plays for a coach that doesnt like to play youngsters

only question that remains is does detroit trade him or find a way to play him significant minutes....time will tell

You could be right, foretaz. Come to think of it, I wouldn't be surprised. Let's trade Bender for him.

pt pt PT PT pt.. A player in the NBA isen't judged on talent he's judged on Playing time, everyone one on the NBA bench worked/works hard and deserves to be there, Darko Could be better then Shaq if he had as much PT, Wade could be as average as Toni Johnson if he has his PT.. PT is what makes any good player a GREAT player

I think next year under a new coach he'll show some skills and then Sign a FA deal with the Warriors

sure there are case's for and against but PT dectates where your at

The JO example is a good one

Under Detroits new Coach if he gets 20 Mpg we'll see some skills after his 2 years of training of riding the pine