Thread: Knicks looking to take Bracey in the FIRST ROUND!?!?!?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Knicks looking to take Bracey in the FIRST ROUND!?!?!?

http://www.nba.com/knicks/news/workouts_050620.html

GREENBURGH, NY, June 20, 2005 -- "This was fun," Indiana junior Bracey Wright flashes a tired semi-smile after his workout for team brass at the Madison Square Garden Training Center. "We went up and down pretty good with three guards. And in the end, we did a lot of shooting." At the mere mention of The Word -- "shooting", that is -- Wright lights up like a 6-3 Christmas Tree, fatigue suddenly foreign to his existence. The man can shoot. The man loves to shoot. The Man is The Man because he's about as pure a shooter as the college game has seen in several eons.
    Which is why he's often been called the "Allan Houston of College Basketball". Which is why he's been so proud to be called that. "Allan's a GREAT shooter," says Wright. "I've learned so much from watching his technique, his form. So, yes, I'm excited about the comparison. Still, truth be told, once I adjust to the league, I think I could turn out to be even better ON the ball." A better defender? "Yes, but not just," the supremely confident Wright asserts. "I had the ball about half the time in my hand at Indiana; I think when Stephon (Marbury) or Jamal (Crawford) move off the ball, I could run a team. I think I'm a true combo guard. And I'm the kind of player who'll do a lot of damage without the ball in his hand as well, doing all the little off the ball things, exploiting the other team's weaknesses, and making the right decisions."

"I follow the NBA -- and, in particular, I follow the Knicks," says Wright. "If the team feels that Allan can't return from his injuries, I'd fit the New York like a glove." Interestingly, Wright -- struggling through injuries for years in another Houston commonality -- fell from the surefire lottery spot that was his two years ago to "somewhere in the first round," he says. Usually that means the end of the first round - and the Knicks own the 30th pick.

"Last season was the first time in two years that I felt completely healthy," he says. It showed: surrounded by much turmoil and little talent, Wright still had a big year, leading the Big Ten in scoring and tallying 25 or more points on seven different occasions.

Bracey also owns an essential knack for picking the Wright time for his biggest games: 32 points on 9-14 shooting vs. Elite Eight participant Michigan State; a career high six treys while gunning for 31 against killer Kentucky; 30 big ones on defensively devastating Wisconsin; 28 (plus 6 rebounds) versus defending champ UConn.

"My team needed me to lead," he says. "So I led. Just like Isiah." Knicks President, Basketball Operations Thomas, of course, played for the same college team. "He came back to school a couple of times and we did get a chance to talk," says Wright. "It would be an honor playing for him. I could learn so much."

Robert Rothbart is only 19 years old yet stands 7'2'' tall.
    MSG Photos
    Learning is good but, according to one of the all-time classic basketball truisms, "you can't teach height". Nineteen year-old (just last Thursday) Robert Rothbart may have a lot to learn about hoops -- but he is 7-2. Hence, the draft.

"I was actually in the draft a year ago but I withdrew," he says. "Still, I chose to go professional because I felt the French team (Paris Basket Racing) could teach me a lot more about basketball than a college (he originally signed with Indiana)." Unfortunately, Rothbart got hurt and barely played. Now he's in the draft, ready or not.

Actually, after "the Bosnian shooting war started right in front of my building," Rothbart is ready for anything. "That's why we left," he recalls, still shuddering from the memory. His family moved to Israel for two years, then to Northern California where Robert pretty much dominated the middle in high school (21 points, 15 rebounds, 5 blocks per game as a senior). "I'm 7-2, pretty quick and athletic, and can shoot with trey range," he says. "Sure, I need to play better defense and get stronger. Which is actually the same thing."

"But, whatever happens, I'll just take things one step at a time."

Don't tell that to Bracey. "Hey, I've played with Patrick Junior so I know what Big Patrick (Ewing) is all about," he says. "I know what the Knicks are about. I was weaned on Knicks-Pacers. What battles! New York sports are everything to everybody. As far as I'm concerned, Madison Square Garden is the place to be -- and I want to be there."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Knicks looking to take Bracey in the FIRST ROUND!?!?!?

This was forcasted by yours truly.....

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/s...ghlight=knicks

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like the Knicks to stick with their usual "worst player available" strategy....

Look out for Bracey Wright.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

No way he goes 8th! Second round . . . MAYBE!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Actually, I think they are talking 30th. The Knicks own the rights to the Phoenix Suns pick.

Only if Bracey has incriminating evidence against someone in the front office should he go anywhere in the first round.

Well, our GM is Isiah. And he has given no evidence that he has a clue ...

This would be great - Channing Frye who'll be lucky to ever give 10 and 6 in the pros at 8 and Bracey who otherwise would be lucky to make a team in TC ...

Of course I didn't see anything in the article that talked about where he might be picked.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Fig Newton
    ..."My team needed me to lead," he says. "So I led. Just like Isiah."...

I love that part because it is so laughable.

Hmmm...Bracey....

Isiah led his team to an NCAA Championship.

Bracey led his team to a first round loss in the NIT.

What a loser.

Sounds like Bracey himself wrote that glowing reveiw.

Unless Mike Davis is the worst coach in college basketball I just don't see how Bracey Wright is anything the NBA needs. Well, strike that, Mike Davis might be the worst coach in college basketball but I still don't think Bracey is NBA material.

I'd be fine with Isiah spending some NY money on him tho

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Bracey showed nothing at Indiana but his abilty to jack up 3 after 3 after 3.

I am not suprised though that he would be going into the upper part of the first round or early second round. It sounds like he has had some good workouts and played good at the pre-draft camp. [I think he was there, I thought I remembered reading about him there but maybe not.]

Talking Re: Knicks looking to take Bracey in the FIRST ROUND!?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    Sounds like Bracey himself wrote that glowing reveiw.

Unless Mike Davis is the worst coach in college basketball I just don't see how Bracey Wright is anything the NBA needs. Well, strike that, Mike Davis might be the worst coach in college basketball but I still don't think Bracey is NBA material.

I'd be fine with Isiah spending some NY money on him tho

-Bball
    Bracey is absolutely NBA material.
    IF he'd had a decent coach to show him WHEN to shoot and to rein in that huge ego.

Did the writer just ...

It showed: surrounded by much turmoil and little talent, Wright still had a big year, leading the Big Ten in scoring and tallying 25 or more points on seven different occasions.
    Little talent? What the bloody hell? Are you kidding me?

Graywolf_59

Anyone who take's BW as a shooter is going to be ???? (Committed)!If the K-Nick's take him......More power to them.....Isiah will be handed his head on the way out the door.What can they see in BW that didn't show at IU?

a shooting guard who is too short to play the position, shoots a HORRIBLE percentage from everywhere on the court, shoots even worse on the road or under pressure situations...

only a team dumb enough to pick Frederick Weiss would waste even a 2nd round pick on Bracey...

wait...

maybe they will!

Wow, if Isiah takes Bracey Wright at 30, then you all have been right all along, he's a ****ing idiot.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wow, that was the worst review of Bracey's game that I have ever read. By no means do I dislike Bracey, but hardly any information in that article was accurate.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Hey guys we might not like the guy, but that doesn't mean he deserves to be stuck on the knicks.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kraft
    Did the writer just ...

Little talent? What the bloody hell? Are you kidding me?
    Not to mention that the team often did better down the stretch w/Bracey on the bench. And this is from a team severely lacking in what Bracey was supposed to provide (scoring).

What did Bracey finish shooting from beyond the arc on the road? Below 10%, wasn't it?

Zeke is just wanting to bring in a player from his alma-mater. Bracey Wright is not currently an NBA-caliber player, and may very well never be. Hell, Kirk Haston was at least twice the player Bracey is, and where is he now? Is he even still on an NBA roster?