Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 102

Thread: This team is tough not to get behind

  1. #26
    Member pacers_heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,757
    Mood

    Default Re: This team is tough not to get behind

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We are not tanking. This team will battle for the 8 seed. KP trying to create culture of "team first" basketball. Young veterans that haven't reached their ceiling, helping the young players improve. Everyone grows together as a group. No egos. If the players all buy in, and Myles Turner doesn't become a diva, this team could win 40 games
    Is this the game of zones speech? lol. FORTY GAMES AND SWEPT IN THE FIRST ROUND!!!!! GO PACERS!!!!!
    Lifelong pacers fan

  2. #27
    Member PetPaima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Valkeakoski, Finland
    Posts
    1,227

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: This team is tough not to get behind

    Quote Originally Posted by Ozwalt72 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Myles is going to be pretty good. Heck, if Myles takes a similar leap to what he did between his rookie and soph year he'll be a 20 and 10 guy averaging close to 3 blocks a game. At 21-22.
    Myles didn't take any kind of "leap" on his sophomore year, only his minutes per game did. His scoring per minute went up a tiniest bit, rebounding got respondingly weaker (by a fraction). His TS% did improve - yep (and usage rate fell).

    Similar "leap" to become 20-10 guy would require him to duplicate his play from year one and two, but averaging 42 minutes per game. I do NOT wish to see that...

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to PetPaima For This Useful Post:


  4. #28
    Member Pacergeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,176

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: This team is tough not to get behind

    Quote Originally Posted by PetPaima View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Myles didn't take any kind of "leap" on his sophomore year, only his minutes per game did. His scoring per minute went up a tiniest bit, rebounding got respondingly weaker (by a fraction). His TS% did improve - yep (and usage rate fell).

    Similar "leap" to become 20-10 guy would require him to duplicate his play from year one and two, but averaging 42 minutes per game. I do NOT wish to see that...
    Myles is probably the most over-hyped Pacer prospect in Pacer history. Without doing anything, he is being pushed as a franchise player and future star player. Hope I'm wrong, but he hasn't done anything in his first two seasons to warrant this kind of hype
    Being unable to close out a game in which you have a comfortable lead in the 4th Q = Pulling a Frank Vogel

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:


  6. #29
    Member Pacergeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,176

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: This team is tough not to get behind

    Quote Originally Posted by pacers_heath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is this the game of zones speech? lol. FORTY GAMES AND SWEPT IN THE FIRST ROUND!!!!! GO PACERS!!!!!
    Unless you are Golden State, nobody is winning a title for the next 2-3 years. Cleveland hasn't done anything this off-season to compete. When you add the second best player in the world to a 73 win team, you win multiple championships.
    Being unable to close out a game in which you have a comfortable lead in the 4th Q = Pulling a Frank Vogel

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:


  8. #30
    Member pacers_heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,757
    Mood

    Default Re: This team is tough not to get behind

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Unless you are Golden State, nobody is winning a title for the next 2-3 years. Cleveland hasn't done anything this off-season to compete. When you add the second best player in the world to a 73 win team, you win multiple championships.
    Well, there is a middle ground between 40 games and winning a title
    Lifelong pacers fan

  9. #31
    Member pacers_heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,757
    Mood

    Default Re: This team is tough not to get behind

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Myles is probably the most over-hyped Pacer prospect in Pacer history. Without doing anything, he is being pushed as a franchise player and future star player. Hope I'm wrong, but he hasn't done anything in his first two seasons to warrant this kind of hype
    I think there are plenty of stats to counter your argument.
    Lifelong pacers fan

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pacers_heath For This Useful Post:


  11. #32
    Member PetPaima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Valkeakoski, Finland
    Posts
    1,227

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: This team is tough not to get behind

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Myles is probably the most over-hyped Pacer prospect in Pacer history. Without doing anything, he is being pushed as a franchise player and future star player. Hope I'm wrong, but he hasn't done anything in his first two seasons to warrant this kind of hype
    I wouldn't say he hasn't done ANYTHING. He has shown ability to block shots on defense and shoot very well from exterior (especially for a 7-footer). He did hit "sophomore wall" hard last season, but maybe will not again.

    He has also shown weak rebounding, an aversion from a physical play and regularly shaky grasp of defensive team concepts (Myles got a lot of blocked shots due to our defense regularly breaking up and there being a lay-out line at our basket - that was a shared fault of multiple bad defenders).

    Myles is a nice & rather unique prospect, but I do not see a superstar (hardly a star, not even all-star) there.

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PetPaima For This Useful Post:


  13. #33
    Member pacers_heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,757
    Mood

    Default Re: This team is tough not to get behind

    Quote Originally Posted by PetPaima View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wouldn't say he hasn't done ANYTHING. He has shown ability to block shots on defense and shoot very well from exterior (especially for a 7-footer). He did hit "sophomore wall" hard last season, but maybe will not again.

    He has also shown weak rebounding, an aversion from a physical play and regularly shaky grasp of defensive team concepts (Myles got a lot of blocked shots due to our defense regularly breaking up and there being a lay-out line at our basket - that was a shared fault of multiple bad defenders).

    Myles is a nice & rather unique prospect, but I do not see a superstar (hardly a star, not even all-star) there.
    He's probably better than both DG and PG after 2 years. Might be our best sophomore of all time.
    Lifelong pacers fan

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to pacers_heath For This Useful Post:


  15. #34

    Default Re: This team is tough not to get behind

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    An improved Lance Stephenson. He's going to be great.
    Fun question: We've talked about who among center legends Myles could train with, but what about Lance? In terms of mentoring and pattern-his-game-after qualities, what point-guard legend would you love to see Lance spend time with this summer to hone his manage-the-offense and pass-versus-shoot skills?


    "I think if he is and we pass on Leaf we'd be some dumb mother ****ers."

    - Larry Bird to Kevin Pritchard before their pick on Draft Day

  16. #35
    Member PetPaima's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Valkeakoski, Finland
    Posts
    1,227

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: This team is tough not to get behind

    Quote Originally Posted by pacers_heath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's probably better than both DG and PG after 2 years. Might be our best sophomore of all time.
    Chuck Person's rookie year was superior to either of Myles' seasons so far. Too bad Rifleman lost his appetite for rebounding & battling at the post soon after and became a lesser player as solely a long-range gunner.

  17. #36
    Undefeated
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Carmel
    Age
    40
    Posts
    4,188

    Default Re: This team is tough not to get behind

    Quote Originally Posted by DrFife View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fun question: We've talked about who among center legends Myles could train with, but what about Lance? In terms of mentoring and pattern-his-game-after qualities, what point-guard legend would you love to see Lance spend time with this summer to hone his manage-the-offense and pass-versus-shoot skills?
    Magic
    Danger Zone

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:


  19. #37
    Member PR07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    6,828

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: This team is tough not to get behind

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogco View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Magic
    Given Magic's past track record of tampering, that could go poorly

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:


  21. #38

    Default Re: This team is tough not to get behind

    Quote Originally Posted by DrFife View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fun question: We've talked about who among center legends Myles could train with, but what about Lance? In terms of mentoring and pattern-his-game-after qualities, what point-guard legend would you love to see Lance spend time with this summer to hone his manage-the-offense and pass-versus-shoot skills?
    Nash!

    As for Myles, he's going to be an All Star for sure. Maybe not next season, but he's got too much ability combined with too good an attitude and work ethic to NOT grow his game significantly.

  22. #39
    Member ksuttonjr76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Posts
    5,976

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: This team is tough not to get behind

    Last edited by ksuttonjr76; 07-08-2017 at 04:50 PM.


    Remember when we could have gotten 1-2 solid players and a possible Top 3 draft pick in the 2017 NBA Draft by trading away Paul George?

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:


  24. #40
    Born Heady Ratking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,174
    Mood

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: This team is tough not to get behind

    I think we have a realistic shot at the 7th seed this season. My off-hand standings prediction is: Celtics, Cavs, Raps, Bucks, Wizards, Heat, Pacers, 76ers

  25. #41
    B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Basketball heartland
    Posts
    3,026
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: This team is tough not to get behind

    Quote Originally Posted by Ratking View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think we have a realistic shot at the 7th seed this season. My off-hand standings prediction is: Celtics, Cavs, Raps, Bucks, Wizards, Heat, Pacers, 76ers
    I'm still holding out hope that the Nets go all Miami on the East next year and battle for a playoff spot. **** your assets Ainge.

  26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pacersalltheway10 For This Useful Post:


  27. #42
    '12 PD Sunshiner awardee Kemo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    A-Town , Indiana
    Age
    42
    Posts
    5,090

    Default Re: This team is tough not to get behind

    In all honesty this is how I feel...
    Last season I really wasn't really into the games the Pacers played.. PG just seemed listless like he didn't really wanna be there...(now we know why)..
    But in comes Lance, and I was instantly excited and he just made everyone better just by being there.. I love Lance! He was one of my fav players when here... SOOOO very glad to have him back..
    Now onto my original point....
    I don't care what anyone says, chemistry and team play will always win out over superstar(s) led teams..... If a "TEAM" is so in tune with one another, move the ball like it's nobody's business , play extremely hard every single night, with that edge of wanting to win and play for one another, that team will find a way to win...

    If we can shore up a few spots and get our guys to play like that, we could be dangerously overlooked... and underestimated... But we really need to gain an identity for our defense, ball movement , and efficiency...

    I really believe that this year will be a fun year watching a "TEAM" grow in front of our eyes... I don't think it will be as bad as some of you all think... you may be pleasantly surprised when it is all said and done... AND with guys who want to be here and play for each other...

    I think Dipo will come into his own , Sabonis will prove to be better than anyone could have imagined , and Turner will continue to get better and better and become an All Star when it is all said and done with... and Lance, well I think he will be VERY good for us...

    We are going to be better than most everyone on here will have imagined.... This year will be the year it all comes together with our guys growing together and our young'uns developing... I forsee us squeaking into the playoffs and putting on a better show than anyone here woulda thought.....

    Just my sunshiner opinion...
    "They want to be famous. We want to be champions. They want to be rappers and backup dancers. We want to play football." - T.J. Ward, Denver Broncos

  28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:


  29. #43

    Default Re: This team is tough not to get behind

    Quote Originally Posted by Ratking View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think we have a realistic shot at the 7th seed this season. My off-hand standings prediction is: Celtics, Cavs, Raps, Bucks, Wizards, Heat, Pacers, 76ers
    Ehh, I don't think Pacers will make the playoffs, we don't have enough offensive capability especially on the shooting front. I say we end up 10th seed.

  30. #44

    Default Re: This team is tough not to get behind

    Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ehh, I don't think Pacers will make the playoffs, we don't have enough offensive capability especially on the shooting front. I say we end up 10th seed.
    Going to be exciting to watch, regardless. Aside from Myles at center, you could argue that every position is up for grabs and may the best man win. I think ideally we find ourselves in a little bit of a Spurs kind of situation here (pretend Turner is your Duncan for a sec), where guys are interchangeable because they're playing team ball and playing for each other. At least until we find a second star type player to make deep playoff runs.

  31. #45
    Member vnzla81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    36
    Posts
    34,872

    Default Re: This team is tough not to get behind

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Give me a better point guard and we can talk.
    I'm in



    Told you cableKC
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

  32. #46
    Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Tucson AZ
    Age
    33
    Posts
    7,059
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: This team is tough not to get behind

    I hope that they're about a 25-30 win team...I don't see that happening, they'll be around 35-38 wins and be the 9th seed I'm sure.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

    ----------------- Reggie Miller

  33. #47
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    5,016

    Default Re: This team is tough not to get behind

    Going to be a lot of fun watching these guys come together.

    Build some chemistry this season, add a solid pick, may be a free agent or two. There is hope once again.

  34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jose Slaughter For This Useful Post:


  35. #48
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    22,552

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: This team is tough not to get behind

    It would be awesome to get a 7 seed and do just as good as we did with PG the previous two years.

  36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:


  37. #49
    trifectasauces.com CJ Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,358

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: This team is tough not to get behind

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It would be awesome to get a 7 seed and do just as good as we did with PG the previous two years.


    I could see it...

    We lost - PG13 + Monta + CJ + Teague

    We gained - Dipo + Sabonis + Collison + Bagdanovic + CoJo + full season of healthy Lance

    We lose a our star, but we gain a bunch of solid players. At the very least our bench should be a lot better next year. Factor in Chicago and Atlanta probably falling to a lottery team, I'd say we have a chance. I think Charlotte and Miami gets in so that leaves one spot open for Detroit/Philly/Magic and maybe us.
    Last edited by CJ Jones; 07-09-2017 at 06:10 PM.

  38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:


  39. #50
    The Dude Abides pizza guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Indy
    Age
    29
    Posts
    4,632
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: This team is tough not to get behind

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It would be awesome to get a 7 seed and do just as good as we did with PG the previous two years.
    As much as I don't wanna do that, for the future of the franchise, I would enjoy that grim irony.

    "You thought you was Kobe? They don't love you like that."
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

  40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •