Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: This team is tough not to get behind

Default This team is tough not to get behind

I keep remembering after the Palace Brawl suspensions how it galvanized this city. I'm looking at this roster and i see so many guys that i cant possibly not root for hard. I dont think they're a contender, but i can see some incredible nights from this team where we the fan base are left feeling great. I absolutely see a team that is going to fight every night. Lance will take on anyone and everyone. Sabonis never had a shot of maturing with Westbrook playing **** It ball. Oladipo, though im not a huge fan, he seems very hungry to get better and same as Sabonis, he never had a chance to mature with Westbrook. I love Bojan! I love his game. Very crafty player and shooter. I really like TJ Leaf too. I've said this a couple times, he has the offensive game of Porzingas. Defense.. i dont know.

We wont win a title. We just wont. But i've talked myself in to believing we have a team that is going to fight every night and be decent.

2. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Foul on Smits For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: This team is tough not to get behind

I'm looking forward to this season also. Not expecting many wins, but I am expecting good effort, young guys we can get behind and cheer for, and hopefully we get to see a group come together and improve.
    It's a new day for Pacers Basketball.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pizza guy For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I keep remembering after the Palace Brawl suspensions how it galvanized this city. I'm looking at this roster and i see so many guys that i cant possibly not root for hard. I dont think they're a contender, but i can see some incredible nights from this team where we the fan base are left feeling great. I absolutely see a team that is going to fight every night. Lance will take on anyone and everyone. Sabonis never had a shot of maturing with Westbrook playing **** It ball. Oladipo, though im not a huge fan, he seems very hungry to get better and same as Sabonis, he never had a chance to mature with Westbrook. I love Bojan! I love his game. Very crafty player and shooter. I really like TJ Leaf too. I've said this a couple times, he has the offensive game of Porzingas. Defense.. i dont know.

We wont win a title. We just wont. But i've talked myself in to believing we have a team that is going to fight every night and be decent.
    In my Friday Felicia voice...What u smoking on? " lol, I get the searchin deep for something positive, but outside of something unseen, were gonna be bad for a few years at a minimum, I been following the Pacers since Chuck P, this is the first time I can remember, we dont have a star. From Reggie, to JO to Artest To Granger to PG, to VO? ouch
    Sittin on top of the world!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 90'sNBARocked For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    In my Friday Felicia voice...What u smoking on? " lol, I get the searchin deep for something positive, but outside of something unseen, were gonna be bad for a few years at a minimum, I been following the Pacers since Chuck P, this is the first time I can remember, we dont have a star. From Reggie, to JO to Artest To Granger to PG, to VO? ouch
    Haha I think what he means to say is if we're realistic with our expectations, we will enjoy a young group of guys who will play hard and play scrappy consistently. I can get behind that. Let's be honest, only 2 or 3, maybe 4 teams have a shot at winning the nba title.
    follow me @TruenoPanda - lets talk Pacers!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BornReady For This Useful Post:

Give me a better point guard and we can talk.
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

Hell, if they just try every night and act like they care it'll be more fun to watch than last years apathetic indifference.

11. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

I agree, last year's team was such a disappointment during the regular season. I can get behind less talent that plays hard.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rimrattler For This Useful Post:

Last season was one of the most disappointing and frustrating seasons for me in a long time. For many reasons.

THIS team we're assembling, I'm not going to sit here and proclaim playoffs and a winning record or anything like that, but it also wouldn't surprise me if it happened.

Why? Because I know for a fact that THIS team is actually going to give a **** every night. And THAT I am excited for.

This season we really have no pressure on us. I think it's going to be a really, really fun team to watch. Who knows, maybe we'll surprise some people while we're at it?

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

Two comments

we'll see how much you love the team after a 7 game losing streak in the middle of December

i always love the pacers but for those of you who only like certain pacers team it seems strange to me to decide to love this team in early July when we have very little idea what this team will be
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 07-10-2017 at 09:18 AM.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The number one thing I'm hoping for out of this group next year is consistent energy.

Second to that, if they can go back to the speed that Nate tried to get last year's group to play at in October/November, and this group can sustain that all year and make it work, then those two things combined will make it far, far more enjoyable to watch than the last group.

Past that, if they don't surprise us with more wins than expected, then I just want to see signs from multiple guys (out of Oladipo, GR3, Sabonis, Leaf, Myles) of what they might become in a year or two of maturity/growth/chemistry along with whatever moves are to come. Just give me some hope.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    You should just add this to your signature.....it will make things easier for the next 2 seasons.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default This team is tough not to get behind

Team has more than 1 or two interesting development pieces now which is better than the past few years.

I just want to see some sort of an identity form where I can tell how the team wins. That doesn't mean they will win a lot just that when they win I get why.

Even when we used to pound the air out of the ball on offense and rely on our funneling defense I could get behind it and once that fell apart we've felt aimless for a few years now.

Start to form an identity this next season and I'll be giddy.

For the first time last year since the MSA days, I didn't renew any ticket packages, and didn't attend a single game. I made one half-hearted attempt to scalp tickets one night but didn't want to drop $100 to watch them play the Bulls. And in multiple games I watched I turned it off in disgust with a quarter left. The reason? It was obvious the team was lethargic, didn't care, and just wanted the time to pass so they could get home, collect their checks and get back to fishing on Geist reservoir. Even a casual fan knew the game was lost in the 3rd quarter, or earlier.

This team will try hard every night. Whether they play .500 ball or lose 7 in a row, it gives management the insight to know who are legit NBA players or not, and they'll retool next summer. But the effort will be there.

I was there the first game after the brawl in '04, with a collection of guys I'd never heard of (ie Britton Johnson, I think, was one), and they lost...but they played their hearts out and I still remember the entire Fieldhouse crowd giving the team a standing ovation for their effort.

Growing pains I can live with...not giving a flip like last years crew (pre-Lance), I can't bear to watch.

24. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to kellogg For This Useful Post:

We are not tanking. This team will battle for the 8 seed. KP trying to create culture of "team first" basketball. Young veterans that haven't reached their ceiling, helping the young players improve. Everyone grows together as a group. No egos. If the players all buy in, and Myles Turner doesn't become a diva, this team could win 40 games
    Being unable to close out a game in which you have a comfortable lead in the 4th Q = Pulling a Frank Vogel

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacergeek For This Useful Post:

I want to watch this team play with heart, hustle, energy, and be competitive, but at the same time, I really hope we don't make the playoffs.

Undefeated

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    i always love the pacers but for those of you who only like certain pacers team it seems strange to me to decide to live thus team in early July when we have very little idea what this team will be
    Agreed. However I think there is a different approach this year with Pritchard than with Bird. Bird always wanted to assemble talent, but didn't really care so much about fit and especially player attitudes and culture. Pritchard is much more about team chemistry and creating a team that wants to play hard and wants to win. It's much easier to support a mediocre or bad team that plays hard and is fun to watch, rather than a mediocre team that has diva's and locker room issues. Celtics are a great example of what team chemistry and playing for the coach can achieve. Talent wise they were very mediocre last year, but they played hard night in and night out and listened to the coach.

If you listen to his presser, the players he is excited about are the ones who put in effort last year and are known for being hard-work team-first players (GR3, VO, Sabonis, Turner, and possibly Lance though he also seems scared about Lance) while the meh players are being let go, cut or bought out. Talent-wise we are well behind last year, but personality and effort wise we are way out in front. I too find myself excited for the next year. Not because I think we'll be more competitive, but because I think we will be more fun. What's also important is last year there was nothing to be excited about in terms of the future. Next year we have a lot of young players who should be provided the opportunity to grow. It's also fun to watch players you support grow, develop and learn.
    Danger Zone

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The expectations last year were high going into the season and that made for a disappointing year. But now that the expectations have lowered I think this will be a much more enjoyable year. I've said this before, and I stand by it: The team reflects its leader. Our leader last year was checked out and only cared about himself and it reflected onto our team. Let's see how we look with new leadership.

I bet we play with a lot more heart and determination and a lot less *****ing and moaning to the refs and the media.

It's actually kind of exciting, ain't it? Players who play the right way and want to be here? I'm ready for unselfish, energetic team basketball and I LOVE the direction Pritchard seems to be going.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

31. The Following User Says Thank You to PaulGeorgeHill For This Useful Post:

Winning is more fun to watch for me. I thought the JOB teams played relatively hard, but they were just horrible to watch because of their shot selection and defense (and player combinations).

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    An improved Lance Stephenson. He's going to be great.
    "Look, it's up to me to put a team around ... Lance right now." —Kevin Pritchard press conference

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

I can find plenty of enjoyment in a rebuild. But that only lasts for maybe a season and then its time to win again. I'm interested in Pritchard's plan/vision. I want to see what he does. It's hard to grade him move by move.

A lot will change between now and the 2018-2019 season. A lot of talk about not having a star....well Paul George wasn't a star his second season either. Myles is going to be pretty good. Heck, if Myles takes a similar leap to what he did between his rookie and soph year he'll be a 20 and 10 guy averaging close to 3 blocks a game. At 21-22.
    "man, PG has been really good."

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    Winning is more fun to watch for me. I thought the JOB teams played relatively hard, but they were just horrible to watch because of their shot selection and defense (and player combinations).
    The problem with the JOB years was that young players rode the bench

37. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jrwannabe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jrwannabe View Post
    The problem with the JOB years was that young players rode the bench
    Yep, we were pretty mediocre, and young guys weren't even being developed so it was essentially lost seasons.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    We are not tanking. This team will battle for the 8 seed. KP trying to create culture of "team first" basketball. Young veterans that haven't reached their ceiling, helping the young players improve. Everyone grows together as a group. No egos. If the players all buy in, and Myles Turner doesn't become a diva, this team could win 40 games
    After the top 6 teams in the East, the East sucks. 7-10 will be a shoot out. I can see this team having a winning record against the East, but their West record is going to be ugly

Last year, I had zero fun watching the Pacers until they signed Lance. The only recent year comparable was the "Kareem Rush year" but even then, at least guys played hard and I engaged for most of the season.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Mood

Seeing as we have no skill, one can only assume we will have a lot of character
    Lifelong pacers fan