Thread: Francisco Garcia

Default Francisco Garcia

An article and some informations about Francisco Garcia, since lot of you seems to be unfamiliar to him or his game. Note the comparession to two Pacers and the ability to play from 1 - 4.

Name: Francisco Garcia / Height/Weight:6' 7"; 189 pounds

Current Team: Louisville, Junior / Position in the NBA: SG

Date of Birth :1/1/1982 (23 Years Old) / High School: Winchendon Prep School

Hometown: Bronx, NY (via the Dominican Rep.)

Earliest Draft Class: 2005 Current Position: PG/SG/SF

Expected Position:SG Possible Positions:SG/SF/PF

Best Case Scenario: Reggie Miller (better Pass/worse Shot)

Worst Case Scenario: James Jones (That's not the worst...)

HTML Code:
    http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=123
    March 2005 update:

Garcia's stock has fallen in our eyes, and apparently in the eyes of the scouts as well from what we are hearing. He has struggled mightily when going up against top teams, but for reasons that aren't being discussed in the media and when he is playing on TV. There are serious concerns about how his game will translate to the NBA.

The reason that he is having so much trouble against top teams and especially top defenders is the fact that he just isn't all that athletic. In a league like the NBA where the entire game revolves around speed, especially at the position he'll be playing (SG), this weakness severely limits his NBA potential.

Garcia's first step is average at best, he lacks quickness and has problems creating his own shot and creating space for himself to operate when he is being guarded by quick and long defenders who guard him closely and don't give room to get his shot off.

The fact that he is a 23 year old junior and has the type of body that doesn't look capable of putting on much more weight is a concern as well. Defensively, he lacks lateral quickness and strength, and it wouldn't be surprising if he was a below average defender in the NBA in his first couple of seasons until he learns to get around his physical deficiencies.

Garcia handles the ball extremely well and can play three different positions, but that's what makes his game so misleading because of the way he scores against poorer defenders with limited athletic ability in the NCAA. He'd probably be more of an off the bench type role player in the NBA, but his team could probably get him shots if they bring him off a couple of screens.

This isn't saying that he won't get drafted, far from that actually. There is definitely a spot for a guy like Garcia in the NBA. He can shoot and score with the best of them, from anywhere on the floor, he is long, versatile and a superb passer. He plays the game agressively and with a ton of passion and is one of the most competitive players you will find in the NCAA. That's exactly what makes him so hard to write off. No one would be surprised to see him drafted somewhere in the 20's, especially considering the type of shooting guards this draft has to offer.

Garcia also has a very high basketball IQ, which makes you think that he may be able to adjust his game to the NBA eventually and learn the little tricks that most savvy NBA veterans have to get their shot off as their athletic ability begins to decline. He is creative and cerebral and will not take no for an answer from anyone. Think of Reggie Miller maybe in this aspect, but not nearly as deadly a shooter.

The Chicago pre-draft camp will be huge for Garcia, along with individual workouts and the personal combine style tests that each prospect goes through in every city they visit. An excellent tournament showing could help his stock tremendously.

February 2004: Francisco Garcia is an extremely versatile player, he plays 3 positions for Louisville, the 1,2 and 3. He's silky smooth and extremely confident. Has a passion and unique flair to his game and is extremely fun to watch. Garcia loves to put the ball on the floor, usually without getting called for an offensive foul. A lights out shooter, either stationary or off the dribble. Has great range on his shot and an ultra quick release, arguably one of the best shooters in the NCAA. He can score from anywhere on the court. Moves very well off the ball too, comes off screens and is an excellent free throw shooter. A very intelligent player, understands the game and acts as a floor general on the court. Very vocal on both sides of the court, a natural leader. A fearless competitor, not afraid to hit the floor to come up with loose balls. Never backs down from a challenge, plays with an incredible amount of heart. Fantastic handles for a player his size, dribbles extremely well with both hands and can take the ball either left or right. Drives in and out of traffic like a pro. Will often bring the ball up the floor for Louisville and set up the offense. Great court vision, 2nd in conference USA in assists. Has point guard skills in a 6-8 body. Holds the school record for assists in one game, with 15. Good wingspan and uses it well, blocks a lot of shots and gets in the passing lanes for steals. Has good timing when going up for blocks. Very coachable. A team player. Not afraid to take big shots. Huge heart, that can't be stressed enough. Just a very unique player in terms of his versatility.

Jesus Shuttlesworth

Default Re: Francisco

DRAFT HIM!

Default Re: Francisco Garcia

I loved his college game, and always thought he would be good for the Pacers, but figured he would go higher. If he is available, and we don't take him, I will be dissapointed
    Sorry, I didn't know advertising was illegal here. Someone call the cops!

Not athletic? No problem. Reggie showed me that that's not all that important.

4? FOUR?! Uh, no.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Seems like quite a difference in opinion in one years time. I do like the comment about high bball IQ but don't we need someone that can create if needed? It sayss he cannot do that. Now I admit I have NEVER seen the guy play IIRC, but I'm commenting on what is said in the articles.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I saw him play a lot this season most of his stats came against mediocre teams.

Against Illinios , Kentucky and Cincy (twice) plus the league tourney he struggled with his shot.
    12/18 Kentucky L 60-58 40 3-12 2-7 0-0 3 3 6 5 2 3 0 4 8
    1/15 @Cincy W 69-66 38 2-13 0-2 3-3 2 1 3 6 4 0 1 4 7
    2/2 Cincy W 77-70 29 5-14 1-4 0-2 1 4 5 3 5 1 1 3 11
    4/2 @Illinois L 72-57 32 2-10 0-4 0-0 0 1 1 2 2 1 1 1 4

tHOSE 4 GAMES 12-49 3-17 3-5 30 POINTS

Sorry shooting 24% fg 17% 3p shooting only 5 fts avg 7.5 ppg vs quality opponents does not excite me for a pick at #17.

For the season he avg 15.7 ppg .438 fg% .366 on 3's - 4.2 rpg - 148/104 assist to turnovers- .877 ft %

He is not a point guard like I've seen some suggest. I know people see another Reggie Miller but he is not Reggie. He is already 23 and played only 3 years of college.

I could see him in middle of 2nd round but not at #17. If the Pacers do draft him ,
    I don't see him playing in front of SJack- Freddie - or James.,

I see the rumors of Pacer intrest in him at 17 , as draft experts seeing him as a Reggie clone to replace him. Sorry I, don't see it and don't think Donnie or Larry do either not at 17.

3ptmiller

How bout Rudy Fernandez!

Quote Originally Posted by 3ptmiller
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How bout Rudy Fernandez!
    he pulled out
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Quote Originally Posted by diamonddave00
    I saw him play a lot this season most of his stats came against mediocre teams.

Against Illinios , Kentucky and Cincy (twice) plus the league tourney he struggled with his shot.
    12/18 Kentucky L 60-58 40 3-12 2-7 0-0 3 3 6 5 2 3 0 4 8
    1/15 @Cincy W 69-66 38 2-13 0-2 3-3 2 1 3 6 4 0 1 4 7
    2/2 Cincy W 77-70 29 5-14 1-4 0-2 1 4 5 3 5 1 1 3 11
    4/2 @Illinois L 72-57 32 2-10 0-4 0-0 0 1 1 2 2 1 1 1 4

tHOSE 4 GAMES 12-49 3-17 3-5 30 POINTS

Sorry shooting 24% fg 17% 3p shooting only 5 fts avg 7.5 ppg vs quality opponents does not excite me for a pick at #17.

For the season he avg 15.7 ppg .438 fg% .366 on 3's - 4.2 rpg - 148/104 assist to turnovers- .877 ft %

He is not a point guard like I've seen some suggest. I know people see another Reggie Miller but he is not Reggie. He is already 23 and played only 3 years of college.

I could see him in middle of 2nd round but not at #17. If the Pacers do draft him ,
    I don't see him playing in front of SJack- Freddie - or James.,

I see the rumors of Pacer intrest in him at 17 , as draft experts seeing him as a Reggie clone to replace him. Sorry I, don't see it and don't think Donnie or Larry do either not at 17.

He struggled in one game, against Illinois. He tore it up the rest of the time
    Sorry, I didn't know advertising was illegal here. Someone call the cops!

Mood

Tore it up rest of the time???? Besides the 2 of 10 for 4 points vs Illinios ,here are a few more lousy shooting games from this season for Garcia.

3of 12 total 8 points vs Kentucky, 2 of 13 for 7points vs Cincy, 5of 14 for 11 vs Cincy. VS Depaul 1 of 9 for 5 points , 2 of 8 for 10 points vs Charlotte,3of 9 all 3's 13 points vs St louis, vs 3of 11 for 9 points vs E,Carolina. Totals 7games - 21 fgm 87 fga -.242 fg% 67 total points 9.5 ppg

He did tear up IUPUI playing 39 minutes scoring 9 points.

Sorry those 7 games vs quality oponents not counting IUPUI game makes it appear to me when he faces top level opponents his shot is very inconsistant. As I stated most of his numbers were put up against mediocre teams.

I have no problem drafting him at #46 but think the Pacers can do far better at #17 than to pick a player , who will back up 4 players better than him and all basicly within 3 years of him in age.

I would love it if we got Garcia. I think he would be an awesome grab.

Jesus Shuttlesworth

nbadraft.net is predicting we pick ike diogu and phoenix picks fransico. i think phoenix wanted ike so if it does end up like this we could trade this ike fellow to phoenix for fransico and another pick...future 1st rounder maybe?

foretaz

ive said it before....there is no way the pacers are drafting garcia....

theyre not going to draft someone that supposedly so closely resembles reggie...

it would be a no win situation for the player and the franchise....

hes simply not nearly good enuff to go at 17 and most likely wont be around for their 2nd pick.....which is just as well....

hes a great kid, by all accounts.....he needs to go anywhere but indiana.....anywhere where he wont be compared to reggie miller....noone can live up to that comparison....especially in indiana...

Jesus Shuttlesworth

Quote Originally Posted by foretaz
    ive said it before....there is no way the pacers are drafting garcia....

theyre not going to draft someone that supposedly so closely resembles reggie...

it would be a no win situation for the player and the franchise....

hes simply not nearly good enuff to go at 17 and most likely wont be around for their 2nd pick.....which is just as well....

hes a great kid, by all accounts.....he needs to go anywhere but indiana.....anywhere where he wont be compared to reggie miller....noone can live up to that comparison....especially in indiana...
    No one can live up to the comparison of Reggie. Look, I'm a Reggie fan but some of you act like this guy walked on water. He was a good player and made the team fun to watch but he isn't one of the greatest to play the game.