Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Pacers Sign Bojan Bogdanovic 2 Years $21 million

Undefeated

Default Re: Pacers Sign Bojan Bogdanovic 2 Years $21 million

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is what the eye test made clear to me. When it mattered, C.J. didn't shoot very well.
    You might also be thinking of PG
    Danger Zone

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ichi View Post
    I guess nobody else saw Thad doing as well as anyone switching onto LeBron during the playoffs, and shooting extremely well before the injury? I am so tired of how much he gets dragged around here, I thought he was our 2nd or 3rd best player when healthy.
    Yes, he does some nice things on the floor. I'm not denying that.

Wondering if D.C. and Bojan 2 year contract with only a small part of year 2 guaranteed will be super attractive at Feb deadline. Playoff team needs a shooter off the bench or a really good back up point. I'm wondering if they net you a late 1st rounder in the 20s.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Wondering if D.C. and Bojan 2 year contract with only a small part of year 2 guaranteed will be super attractive at Feb deadline. Playoff team needs a shooter off the bench or a really good back up point. I'm wondering if they net you a late 1st rounder in the 20s.
    No one is lining up to be the Wizards again.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rogco View Post
    You might also be thinking of PG
    PG is interesting. He's actually one of the better shooters I've seen at clutch time. But at "clutch, clutch" time, like winning a game, he was pretty bad. Strange, eh?

I just think that when you get to that level, the end of games, it's not about normal skill (what happens the first three quarters), it's about how you handle pressure and rise to the occasion. In other words, it's a mental game, not a physical one. A C.J. Miles who normally shoots great—just the tiniest tremor in his pinky finger from being nervous in the last minute can cause his shot to slightly miss.

So ... I think PG, in his own mind, felt worthy of being a great clutch shooter at the end of games, and even able to hit game-tiers that sent us to overtime. But for some reason he couldn't do it for a killing, closing, you're done for the night game winner. It's all in the head, especially when he's playing against Lebron and being all lovey dovey before and after the games.
    "Look, it's up to me to put a team around ... Lance right now." —Kevin Pritchard press conference

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ichi View Post
    I guess nobody else saw Thad doing as well as anyone switching onto LeBron during the playoffs, and shooting extremely well before the injury? I am so tired of how much he gets dragged around here, I thought he was our 2nd or 3rd best player when healthy.
    Thad shot well above his norm but was trending back toward his mean as the season progressed. Once his wrist was injured, his shooting went to hell.

He's a fine role player and does some nice things. But he's not a long term or even a short term answer. Especially on a team that is going to be mediocre at best.

Hes been a starter on losing teams for most of his career, so I guess it wouldn't be any different from his POV. But I'd imagine he would rather be a 6th man on a winning team at this point in his career (role best served for him IMO).

Make no mistake about it, he does some nice things and brings very good versatility. But the fact that he was one of our better players last year shows how disappointing we were as a whole imo
    Last edited by Ace E.Anderson; 07-08-2017 at 10:37 AM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Thad shot well above his norm but was trending back toward his mean as the season progressed. Once his wrist was injured, his shooting went to hell.

He's a fine role player and does some nice things. But he's not a long term or even a short term answer. Especially on a team that is going to be mediocre at best.

Hes been a starter on losing teams for most of his career, so I guess it wouldn't be any different from his POV. But I'd imagine he would rather be a 6th man on a winning team at this point in his career (role best served for him IMO).

Make no mistake about it, he does some nice things and brings very good versatility. But the fact that he was one of our better players last year shows how disappointing we were as a whole imo
    Disagree, and that reads like straight up hating tbh. It's lazy to assume that because he put up good numbers on a bad team that him playing well on a good team (then falling off after injury) means that he's the typical "good guy on bad team, bench player on decent team" player.

The man put in work on his 3 pt shot. If you think it was mere luck then you didn't watch the games. His form was much improved. His defense was better than advertised. He played very unselfishly. By all accounts he should be a PD favorite, but instead he was a whipping boy for some reason. He should have taken more time to heal his hand injury, but he toughed it out and gave whatever (little) he had for the team. That's the kind of TOUGHNESS you see delusional posters here pretend that Danny Granger showed. It's the kind of toughness people say they want from players.

You saying his stats falling off was mere regression to mean and NOT a direct result of injury, again, just proves that you either didn't watch the games or you're straight up lying. Dude couldn't use his left hand at all in some games, not even for wide open layups or dribbling. He was shooting airballs because of lack of flex/strength. This was 100% obvious, not even debatable. Thad was our swiss army knife, he's a good player who stepped up knowing he was on what should have been a good team. The Pacers probably won't keep him, but not for lack of production or professionalism.

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 3rdStrike For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    sional posters here pretend that Danny Granger showed. It's the kind of toughness people say they want from players.

You saying his stats falling off was mere regression to mean and NOT a direct result of injury, again, just proves that you either didn't watch the games or you're straight up lying. Dude couldn't use his left hand at all in some games, not even for wide open layups or dribbling. He was shooting airballs because of lack of flex/strength. This was 100% obvious, not even debatable. Thad was our swiss army knife, he's a good player who stepped up knowing he was on what should have been a good team. The Pacers probably won't keep him, but not for lack of production or professionalism.
    Thaddeus Young is a career 32% shooter from the three point line. Over the first two months of the season, he was well over 40% IIRC. There were people talking at the time that Thad couldn't sustain it, and that he was going to regress back to the mean at least somewhat. He was heading that way and then the wrist injury happened and obviously it was a huge factor. He essentially stopped shooting threes after the wrist injury.

On the plus side of the statistical outliers, Thad shot 53% from the free throw line. I believe it was hovering around 60% before the wrist injury, but man after he hurt his wrist he really, really struggled at the line. He's a career 67% FT shooter, but for whatever reason that has been trending down the past five seasons or so.

My biggest complaints with Thad is that he's a bad fit next to Myles, because they are both pretty soft, and push comes to shove, I'm picking Myles over Thad. My biggest complaint about this board's opinion of Thad is that he is a good shooter. He's not a bad shooter, but he's not a stretch guy or someone who will punish teams that leave him open. He's a crafty, efficient scorer though.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Mood

What teams are clearly worse than the pacers right now, and why?
    Lifelong pacers fan

Quote Originally Posted by pacers_heath View Post
    Brooklyn, Phoenix, Lakers, Atlanta, New York, because they suck. Arguments can be made for a few others imo.

Orlando, why?

This guy
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Brooklyn, Phoenix, Lakers, Atlanta, New York, because they suck. Arguments can be made for a few others imo.
    Man, thats only 5 teams
    Lifelong pacers fan

Man, thats only 5 teams
    Forgot about Orlando. They're a wreck.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Orlando, why?

This guy
    How vnzla decides who he roots for: Do other people like this person? If so, crusade against them.

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Mood

I feel like the lakers might be better.
    Lifelong pacers fan

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    How vnzla decides who he roots for: Do other people like this person? If so, crusade against them.
    Hey he didn't prove me wrong last year did he?
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

FIRE PRITCHARD! TheDavisBrothers's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    I actually spent the time to look it up and one thing is for sure and that's neither of these guys are in late in games very much but when they are CJ is by far the worse shooter. Like 22% bad with 5 minutes left and the score is close. This could anothe reason why CJ is seen as inconsistent.
    How'd you come up with like 22%? NBA.com has these clutch stats, which I believe are defined as- during the 4th quarter or overtime, with less than five minutes remaining, and neither team ahead by more than five points.

C.J.'s clutch stats
    28 GP
    84 MIN
    7/21 (33.3%) FG
    1/2 (50%) 2P
    6/19 (31.6%) 3P

Bojan's clutch stats
    36 GP
    87 MIN
    15/34 (44.1%) FG
    6/10 (60%) 2P
    9/24 (37.5%) 3P

I agree that C.J. comes up short in pressure situations including the playoffs, but frankly I don't really care that much. He shouldn't be in the game in crunch time to begin with, and we shouldn't be that concerned about the playoffs right now anyway!
    Now looking at the shot chart what is apparent is that Bojan took more above the break 3's than CJ and less corner 3's. So essentially Bojan took something like 35ish less corner 3's and 20 more lower percentage 3's above the break.
    Even though Bojan's overall percentage was slightly hurt by taking more above the break 3's and less corner 3's, C.J. still outperformed him regardless, shooting better percentages from both areas. According to NBA.com, C.J. shot 66/130 50.8% from the corners and 99/274 36.1% above the break, compared to 41/95 43.2% and 102/296 34.5% for Bojan.
    My bet is that when he started for BKN that he was left to create more on offense and not just camp on the corner for spacing for the Wizards.
    As far as catch and shoot vs. creating, C.J. yet again outperformed Bojan. C.J. shot 42.6% on catch and shot 3's and 32.6% on non catch and shot 3's, compared to Bojan at 39.0% and 30.5%.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Oladipo is a bad shooter off the dribble, but I actually think he's like a top 15 or 20 guy in catch and shoot situations last year. People are gonna be surprised by Vic if we don't make him shoot his 3's off the bounce.
    Oladipo shot 37.1% on catch and shoot 3's last year, not even close to top 15-20.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheDavisBrothers For This Useful Post:

In his defense, he had a roster that made no sense positionally from the get-go. Too many big men. Not enough guards.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    In his defense, he had a roster that made no sense positionally from the get-go. Too many big men. Not enough guards.
    True but he also started DJ Augustin a lot and nobody is going to win many games starting that guy.

Now to Vogel's credit (like Spo) he threw away the **** coaching book he had and decided to play his guys how they were supposed to be playing since the beginning (small ball up tempo) and they looked better, now lets see if he sticks to that or goes back to "smashmouth this is the only **** I can coach basketball".

Sports Logo

No. He just proved you wrong the 5 and a half seasons he was our head coach. Over and over again. He proved you wrong every time you underestimated our ECF teams. He proved you wrong every time you underestimated the importance of chemistry. Heck, he even proved your love of Monta wrong. Or was Monta himself that did that?
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    Empty vessels make the most noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    No. He just proved you wrong the 5 and a half seasons he was our head coach. Over and over again. He proved you wrong every time you underestimated our ECF teams. He proved you wrong every time you underestimated the importance of chemistry. Heck, he even proved your love of Monta wrong. Or was Monta himself that did that?
    LOL

Sports Logo

now lets see if he sticks to that or goes back to "smashmouth this is the only **** I can coach basketball".
    That's a poor argument. The Pacers haven't played smashmouth basketball ever since West left. Vogel always played the style that suited the team's strength (most successful coaches do that after all). Smashmouth was the style that suited those ECF teams so that's what we played. That's all there is to it.
    Tonight, all flags must burn, in place of steeples.
    Autonomy must return into the hands of the people.

Panopticon

Quote Originally Posted by IrishPacer View Post
    Empty vessels make the most noise.

CJ is a choker. Missed an easy, wide open shot vs Cleveland in game 1. Bricked it badly
    Being unable to close out a game in which you have a comfortable lead in the 4th Q = Pulling a Frank Vogel

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    That's a poor argument. The Pacers haven't played smashmouth basketball ever since West left. Vogel always played the style that suited the team's strength (most successful coaches do that after all). Smashmouth was the style that suited those ECF teams so that's what we played. That's all there is to it.
    On his first press conference in Orlando he told them they were going to play "Pacers ball, smashmouth" bs, that is the only thing he can coach and failed at it in Orlando.

FIRE PRITCHARD! TheDavisBrothers's Avatar
    Mood

On his first press conference in Orlando he told them they were going to play "Pacers ball, smashmouth" bs, that is the only thing he can coach and failed at it in Orlando.
    So, let me get this straight, you dislike Vogel because he can only coach one style, but you absolutely love D'Antoni?!

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheDavisBrothers For This Useful Post: