Thread: Pacers.com Offseason Primer 2005

Default Pacers.com Offseason Primer 2005

2005 Pacers Offseason Primer
    Answers to key questions facing the team this summer

J. Jones

Davis
    WHAT ARE THE FREE-AGENT OPTIONS? Their two primary internal free-agent decisions involve veteran center Dale Davis and young forward James Jones. Davis was a valuable contributor after joining the team in early March, starting all 38 games he played (including 13 in the playoffs), so it's safe to assume they'd like to re-sign him. Like in every case, however, it will depend upon the cost. Jones made huge strides this season and has offered ample evidence of having a future in the NBA, so it's likely he'll also be retained. If both Davis and Jones are kept, the Pacers will have 15 players under contract, so there may not be any roster room without some trade activity. That's bad news for free agent center John Edwards, who spent most of his rookie season on the injured list.

Though next season's salary cap figure has not yet been released, it has stayed between $40-44 million the past four seasons, so it's reasonable to anticipate a figure in that range for 2005-06. Based on various published reports, the Pacers already have a payroll in excess of $70 million next season, so they'll be well over the cap. They therefore will have little flexibility in the free-agent market, though they do have the mid-level exception (around $5 million).

Miller
    DOES REGGIE'S RETIREMENT AFFECT THE CAP? In a word, no. Even if the remainder of Reggie's contract came off the books, the team would still be over the cap, so they won't get any kind of cap relief from his retirement. Because he has one more season (reportedly at $6.25 million) on his contract, which the franchise intends to honor, Reggie will remain on the payroll and, therefore, on the cap. The only way a retired player's remaining salary can be removed from a team's cap figure is if the retirement was forced by injury and even then, it's a percentage and not the total amount.

Carlisle
    HOW LIKELY IS THE POSSIBILITY OF A TRADE? Coach Rick Carlisle gave a rather strong indication of the team's stance toward roster moves when, in the immediate aftermath of the loss to Detroit in the Eastern Conference Semifinals, he broached the topic of changes being likely. Given the lack of free-agent flexibility, that would lead to the conclusion that a trade or two will be seriously considered. What we don't know at the moment is the level of the discussion. Is a major change to the core of the team being considered, or just a couple of tweaks here and there?

It's reasonable to assume fans might not have to wait too long to find out. Though there aren't many draft-related trade rumors at the moment, that is usually one of the most active periods for deal-making in the NBA calendar. Given the possibility of a lockout that would bring a temporary end to all player movement beginning July 1, this draft could be unusually active.

WILL IMMEDIATE HELP BE AVAILABLE IN THE DRAFT? In the past three drafts, three of the four players selected by the Pacers were four-year college players (Fred Jones, James Jones and Rashad Wright) and the fourth was a three-year college player (David Harrison). Based on that trend, and the fact three of the four are still with the team despite none being selected higher than No. 14 overall, it's reasonable to project the Pacers being interested primarily in experienced college players.

At No. 17, that could be a very good thing because the annual influx of international and high-school players appears to be pushing some high-profile names into the Pacers' neighborhood. Some prominent names mentioned in the middle of the first round on most draft boards include North Carolina power forward Sean May and shooting guard Rashad McCants, Syracuse forward Hakim Warrick, Oklahoma State small forward Joey Graham, Kansas forward Wayne Simien and Georgia Tech point guard Jarrett Jack.

If they decide to buck their recent trend and go with an international player, possibilities may include 6-11 Tiago Splitter (Brazil), 6-5 Rudy Fernandez (Spain) and 7-0 Johan Petro (France). A handful of high-school players should be on the board, as well, including point guard Monta Ellis, shooting guard C.J. Miles, and big men Andrew Bynum and Andray Blatche. Because this could be the final year players under 20 are eligible to be drafted, prospects in that age range could become much hotter.

Harrison
    WHAT'S THE STATUS OF INJURED PLAYERS? Though Jermaine O'Neal (shoulder), Jamaal Tinsley (foot), Fred Jones (finger) and Jeff Foster (hip) all were playing at the end of the season, all were at less than 100 percent because of injuries. Rookie David Harrison spent the final two months of the season on the injured list after undergoing knee surgery. The good news is none are believed to be major problems, and all should be fully healed by the time training camp rolls around, if not before. The only player who may need surgery is Foster, who could require a minor follow-up procedure on his hip. It's not clear if Harrison will be able to participate in summer league play in July.

Default Re: Pacers.com Offseason Primer 2005

WHAT'S THE STATUS OF INJURED PLAYERS?

I wonder if they left Bender off that list on purpose?

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Carlisle
    HOW LIKELY IS THE POSSIBILITY OF A TRADE? Coach Rick Carlisle gave a rather strong indication of the team's stance toward roster moves when, in the immediate aftermath of the loss to Detroit in the Eastern Conference Semifinals, he broached the topic of changes being likely. Given the lack of free-agent flexibility, that would lead to the conclusion that a trade or two will be seriously considered. What we don't know at the moment is the level of the discussion. Is a major change to the core of the team being considered, or just a couple of tweaks here and there?

It's reasonable to assume fans might not have to wait too long to find out. Though there aren't many draft-related trade rumors at the moment, that is usually one of the most active periods for deal-making in the NBA calendar. Given the possibility of a lockout that would bring a temporary end to all player movement beginning July 1, this draft could be unusually active.

WILL IMMEDIATE HELP BE AVAILABLE IN THE DRAFT? In the past three drafts, three of the four players selected by the Pacers were four-year college players (Fred Jones, James Jones and Rashad Wright) and the fourth was a three-year college player (David Harrison). Based on that trend, and the fact three of the four are still with the team despite none being selected higher than No. 14 overall, it's reasonable to project the Pacers being interested primarily in experienced college players.

At No. 17, that could be a very good thing because the annual influx of international and high-school players appears to be pushing some high-profile names into the Pacers' neighborhood. Some prominent names mentioned in the middle of the first round on most draft boards include North Carolina power forward Sean May and shooting guard Rashad McCants, Syracuse forward Hakim Warrick, Oklahoma State small forward Joey Graham, Kansas forward Wayne Simien and Georgia Tech point guard Jarrett Jack.
    Combine that with Bruno today (june 6th):

"Which way should the Pacers go? Well, they already have two players that can be dominant in the post (Jermaine O'Neal and Ron Artest), so it would appear their primary needs lie on the perimeter. Stephen Jackson and Jamaal Tinsley are both effective with the ball, but neither falls into the Ginobili/Wade category. Fred Jones is pretty good and still getting better. But I suspect the personnel department is, and has been, looking far and wide in search of just the type of player you mention. Because when the shot-clock's winding down and the post is double-teamed, every good team needs a guy that can make something from nothing."
    I don't know about anyone else here, but IF the Pacers act differently (read more transparant) on their trading policy compared to the way they act with regards to throwing sand into the eyes of other GM's leading up to the draft, THAN I'm getting a stronger and stronger feeling we are aiming for a top SG this offseason and the only ways to get that done are via a trade or a S&T.

The fact that we might actually keep our pick might indicate (all speculation, offcourse ) that we loose some of our depth. Offcourse, the above article mentions John Edwards, but we all pretty much knew and expected him to be gone soon, sorry for him, but live goes on.
    I suspect management wants to keep the pick because we might be going to do a quantity for quality trade not too far from now, again could be dead wrong here, but these two articles appearing on the same day, dunno seems a little suspect.

On the other hand ... it's the offseason and the draft is approaching, a little paranoia is part of the time of the year.

Regards,

Mourning
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Please get Splitter if there, that's all I got to say.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

no chance he will drop to us, alas I might add.....
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen

Maybe it's a given - Bender is injured in indefinitely.
    :thepacers
    No Linking to your own site if it sells something.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

C - Davis/Foster/Pollard/Harrison
    PF - O'Neal/Croshere
    SF - Artest/JJones/Bender
    SG - Jackson/FJones
    PG - Tinsley/Johnson/Gill

Are we allowed to have more than 15 players under contract, or does Reggie's retirement mean that we can only have a maximum roster size of 14 while we have his contract?

Quote Originally Posted by Shade
    C - Davis/Foster/Pollard/Harrison
    PF - O'Neal/Croshere
    SF - Artest/JJones/Bender
    SG - Jackson/FJones
    PG - Tinsley/Johnson/Gill

Are we allowed to have more than 15 players under contract, or does Reggie's retirement mean that we can only have a maximum roster size of 14 while we have his contract?
    No, Reggie doesn't count in the 15. He's taking into account our first-round draft pick.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

12 on active roster, 3 on injured list, where does Reggie go since he's under contract? Is there a retired/ left team list?

I've got a Ron Artest joke after that comment, but I won't drag him into this thread unnecessarily.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    12 on active roster, 3 on injured list, where does Reggie go since he's under contract? Is there a retired/ left team list?

I've got a Ron Artest joke after that comment, but I won't drag him into this thread unnecessarily.
    You can pay guys and still not have them on your roster. The original Star article about us still paying Reggie said as much.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by able
    no chance he will drop to us, alas I might add.....
    maybe, maybe not. seems like tiago splitter is having trouble buying out his contract from his club (tau ceramica?). if so, it is likely that it would scare off other teams since he won't be able to play in the nba this year. however, it might be the perfect scenario for the pacers to draft a player who has to stay overseas anyway, since the roster is full at the moment.

but, it seems unlikely that any team (including the pacers) would use up a 1st round pick on someone who can't play, that's guaranteed money down the drain. likelier that some team with a high 2nd round pick would snap up splitter, assuming he stays in the draft. which makes those bender to the lakers rumors very interesting...

I think the term is "persona non grata".

-----

I would fully expect Edwards and Gill, even with 1 year left on his contract, to be gone before next season.

If one or more of Bender, Croshere and Pollard are gone, I believe that speaks to the fact that Larry and Donnie are doing something right. That means they are making moves, and not afraid to pull the trigger on a trade.

I fully expect that to happen as well.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute
    which makes those bender to the lakers rumors very interesting...
    And that stop maybe rather quick if the added rumor is true with Bender being sent to New Orleans from the Lakers. I guess that would put him closer to the great workouts he has at little X in New Orleans.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    You can pay guys and still not have them on your roster. The original Star article about us still paying Reggie said as much.

Whoops... I thought of this later. IIRC, Joe Dumars the GM had to waive Joe Dumars the player to finally get him off the salary cap.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

I asked that question back on june 6. They now have Bender included in the article. It says this,

Though Jermaine O'Neal (shoulder), Jamaal Tinsley (foot), Fred Jones (finger) and Jeff Foster (hip) all were playing at the end of the season, all were at less than 100 percent because of injuries. Rookie David Harrison spent the final two months of the season on the injured list after undergoing knee surgery. The good news is none are believed to be major problems, and all should be fully healed by the time training camp rolls around, if not before.

The only player who may need surgery is Foster, who could require a minor follow-up procedure on his hip. It's not clear if Harrison will be able to participate in summer league play in July. The future of oft-injured forward Jonathan Bender, who has missed 136 games the past two seasons, most due to chronic knee problems, remains cloudy. Reports from rehab are generally positive but that's a long way from proving able to withstand game competition.
    -----

That doesn't sound all that good.

Graywolf_59

Quote Originally Posted by NorCal_Pacerfan
    Maybe it's a given - Bender is injured in indefinitely.
    JB is going to be a HMO spoke's person!

Quote Originally Posted by Graywolf_59
    JB is going to be a HMO spoke's person!
    *&^%^ HMO's!!!!

Bender would've been the second coming of Tracy McGrady two years ago if they only would've paid for that darn knee surgery!!!!
    "If I have the ball, I will shoot it, you have to believe that," - Stephen Jackson