Thread: Suddenly, the NBDL is actually important...

Default Suddenly, the NBDL is actually important...

(Perhaps this has already been discussed in other threads today. If so I apologize.)

Question: So we're going to have a new age limit. Apparently the rule will be that a player needs to either be 19 years old or one year out of high school on draft day to be eligible to play in the NBA that season.

Interestingly, however, the NBDL is going to be expanded soon into a 15-team farm system, and the entry-level age will only be 18 instead of 19.

So the question is, if you're a hot 18-year-old basketball prospect straight out of high school, projected to go high in the first round NEXT year, do you

A) - go to college for one year, get an education and a shot at a final four, NCAA championship, etc. or

B) - go straight into the NBDL, earn at least a decent salary (by normal standards), and play against pseudo-NBA-caliber players with pseudo-NBA rules in front of a smaller audience.

In other words, how is this 19-year age thing going to pan out? It's only a one-year difference, and it seems like that's potentially going to make things awkward both for young prospects who aren't really excited about college and the college programs themselves, who will experience even higher turnover rates and early dropouts.

Also, if a player plays in the NBDL, do they get drafted in? Will the 'parent' teams of the player's farm team have any sort of first dibs on that player?

This whole thing could end up being very bizarre.

Default Re: Suddenly, the NBDL is actually important...

Are you sure the NBDL will allow 18 year olds? I believe the minimum age for it now is 20.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you sure the NBDL will allow 18 year olds? I believe the minimum age for it now is 20.
    It was; new CBA is lowering it to 18.

Tim

The kids will go to college for one year.

This rule makes things worse. Not only are the ones who wanted to go straight to the pros still going to come out, others will feel pressure to come out after one year because if you don't do it, then you will be preceived as not good enough to come out after one year.

As TK said on PTI, they aren't even gonna go to college, let alone the NBDL. They're gonna go to prep schools, so their games aren't "exposed" by playing against decent competition.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    They're gonna go to prep schools, so their games aren't "exposed" by playing against decent competition.
    Any kid who has to do that to hide their faulty game doesn't deserve to get drafted anyway. If he can't cut it in the NCAA what makes him think he'd cut it in the NBA?

They're just wanting the money.
    Sorry, I didn't know advertising was illegal here. Someone call the cops!

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

From the "Pro-age Limit" perspective. One year of college or one year of life in the NBDL is still one year of living out on your own and learning how to deal with life without mom/dad. It will lessen the culture shock of going from being released from under parental control. IOW...it helps them grow up and adds maturity. The NBA teams will have just a sconch less baby-sitting to do.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Man that would be sweet if farm teams could retain their prospects for just one time.

We sign Oden to whoever we can get as a team & then he becomes ours..

But sadly, that is how other teams would work it as well. So my guess is they won't do this, nor should they.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

I think the NBDL will be reserved for the guys who are too dumb for entry-level courses in college. I think they'll find it more useful to spend the year in the NBDL where they can concentrate 100% on their game than having to worry about classes and academic elegibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    The kids will go to college for one year.

This rule makes things worse. Not only are the ones who wanted to go straight to the pros still going to come out, others will feel pressure to come out after one year because if you don't do it, then you will be preceived as not good enough to come out after one year.
    Say what? You want to restate that, it doesn't make sense.

If you choose to stay in school after your first year it would be immaterial what way you are perceived that year, after all your not coming out.

Unless you get injured, not coming out usually helps a player.

You would then be judged after your second year.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    Say what? You want to restate that, it doesn't make sense.

If you choose to stay in school after your first year it would be immaterial what way you are perceived that year, after all your not coming out.

You would then be judged after your second year.

I want to give you a good real life example of what I am talking about, but I can't remember the players name.

So I guess I will tell a little bit of the story, maybe someone who reads this will remember the name and I can look it up and link it after that.

There was a player a few years back that seriously considered going from highschool to pros, he was told he might even be a top 15 pick if I remember the article correctly. Others encouraged him to go to college and improve his game. He went to college and did improve his game, but when it came time for the NBA he either was not drafted or was a second round pick and let go, and he was a better player than he was just out of highschool.

Hopefully someone can remember the name of that player so I can look it up and reread it, I think I remembered the facts correctly.

The point here is even though this player improved, he no longer was a 'hot product' with the coaches and GMs around the league. It is because of this we were able to get our hands on a 7'0" wide body center in David H. with the last pick in the first round. You can't teach or mature height and a wide body, there is no way David should have fell this low in the draft, even with rumors of his issues.
    But thanks to the hype a bunch of teams passed on David and we are better for it in the long run.

That *perceived* talent, potential or whatever you want to call it that these highschool kids are getting today is going to be transferred onto tommorrows freshman and 19 year olds. When that happens it will create an atmosphere similiar to what these highschool kids have today, except other freshmen will be more directly exposed to it, like it or not the problem will spread.