Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Done Deal: NBA, players agree

Post Done Deal: NBA, players agree

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2091539
    League to announce agreement prior to Game 6

NEW YORK -- NBA owners and players agreed to a new collective bargaining agreement Tuesday, averting the possibility of a lockout.

The league called a news conference in San Antonio prior to Game 6 of the NBA Finals, with commissioner David Stern and union director Billy Hunter announcing their agreement, ESPN Insider Chad Ford has confirmed.

The deal came on the fourth consecutive day of talks between the sides. The league's old seven-year agreement is due to expire on June 30.

The league and its players' association on Monday night were close to agreeing on a new CBA that would institute a new 19-year-old age minimum, reduce contract lengths and raise the salary cap, according to sources close to both negotiating committee.

Among the main items the players were seeking was a reduction in the so-called escrow tax under which 10 percent of their salaries are withheld if the amount of revenues devoted to players salaries exceeds a specified percentage.

Owners had already offered to raise the salary cap from slightly more than 48 percent of revenues to 51 percent, thereby increasing the amount of money each team can spend on player salaries.

The NBA has a system known as a "soft" salary cap, allowing teams to exceed the cap threshold to retain their own free agents, and to sign free agents under the so-called midlevel exception that was added to the labor agreement in 1999 after the sides went through a 7½-month lockout.

Another lockout could have begun July 1.

The agreement will still need to be ratified by the league's Board of Governors and by the members of the players' union at their annual meeting in Las Vegas next week.

A source close to the NBA negotiating committee and a source close to the union's negotiation committee claim that all of the major issues between the sides had been agreed to in principle as of Monday night.

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Done Deal: NBA, players agree

Not surprising.

Yeah, I never thought it would go so far as to reach a work stoppage.

And Hicks, your sig is comedy GOLD!

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Awesome that we don't have to worry about possibly not having a season next year.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Thank god, now Ronnie can play in the summer league

I'm not surprised they had an agreement - I AM suprised they reached one before September. Great news though I was hoping for the Super LT.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Soooo, what college team gets to rent Greg Oden for a year?
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

great news. Now we can get on to the offseason. Does anyone know why they "Just Decided" to have only 1 pepsi pro league? in vegas?
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Soooo, what college team gets to rent Greg Oden for a year?
    Maybe he should just come out now...

Wouldn't that throw a wrench into things.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

I heard somewhere that Oden turns 19 before the draft next year. Anybody know if that's true?
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    I heard somewhere that Oden turns 19 before the draft next year. Anybody know if that's true?

I tried looking for his bio and all I could find was an article dated July 19, 2004 that refered to him then as 16.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Patting self on back!!!

I was one of the five people that said the league and union would reach an agreement and there would be no lockout.

Thirty-eight of you thought otherwise.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/forums/s...078#post203078

Will there be a lockout?

No, they're just posturing ................. 5 ... 11.63%
    Yes, but it'll be resolved this summer .. 28 ... 65.12%
    Yes, and it will last into the season .... 10 ... 23.26%

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    I tried looking for his bio and all I could find was an article dated July 19, 2004 that refered to him then as 16.
    Someone in another similar thread to this one said he'd be 19, but so far I've not verified a birthdate. I found something that appears to refer to his date of birth as 1/22/88, but it's on a foreign website and I cannot confirm it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Oden Greg Oden (born January 23, 1988 in Indianapolis, Indiana) is widely considered to be the best high school basketball player in the US. He is currently attending Lawrence North High School. Oden was named Parade Magazine High school Player of the Year 2005 (along with Monta Ellis), becoming the first junior since LeBron James to be named such.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    Patting self on back!!!

I was one of the five people that said the league and union would reach an agreement and there would be no lockout.

Thirty-eight of you thought otherwise.

Will there be a lockout?

No, they're just posturing ................. 5 ... 11.63%
    Yes, but it'll be resolved this summer .. 28 ... 65.12%
    Yes, and it will last into the season .... 10 ... 23.26%
    Funny, it's 6 now. Even funnier is one of the 6 is a certain newbie Ray Allen fan.

And Will, for you're extraordinary prescience, here's a cookie.

Here's the release from NBA.com, which gives more information. They took away some of Stern's power for suspensions.

SAN ANTONIO, June 21 -- The NBA and the National Basketball Players Association announced today that they have reached an agreement in principle on the key items of a new 6-year collective bargaining agreement.

NBA Commissioner David Stern, Players Association Executive Director Billy Hunter and President Michael Curry announced the agreement prior to Game 6 of The Finals in San Antonio.

“This new agreement creates a strong partnership with our players, which is critical to our prospects for continued growth on a global basis,” said Stern. “Once the deal is finalized, the NBA and its players will be able to focus on the enormous opportunities we have together.”

“Although a definitive written agreement must still be completed,” Hunter added, “we believe we have reached the framework for a deal that preserves and enhances gains that the players have made under the expiring agreement. The new CBA deals fairly with the issues that are important to the league, and gives our sport the continuity that will be so important to its growth and to its fans.”

The agreement includes an increase in the salary cap, a lessening of the impact of the luxury tax, a decrease in the escrow withholding over the term of the deal (to 8 percent), and a guarantee by the league that the players will receive no less than 57 percent of basketball related income (a percentage that will increase as revenue increases). The maximum length of player contracts will be reduced to 6 years, from their current 7, and maximum annual increases in salaries will be reduced from 12½ to 10½ percent for teams resigning their own players and from 10 percent to 8 percent for teams signing free agents.

On non-economic matters, the minimum entry age will be increased from 18 to 19 years and teams will have the ability to assign players with less than 2 years experience to the NBA Development League. The number of random drug tests as well as the penalties for violations will be increased. The league will guarantee that, on average, all teams will have 14-player rosters, and players suspended for more than 12 games for on-court misconduct will be able to challenge the suspension before a neutral arbitrator.

While the agreement is being reduced to a definitive writing, the moratorium on free agent signings presently scheduled to expire on July 14 will be extended to July 22. During this period, summer leagues may be conducted, rookies may be signed, and free agents will be permitted to negotiate, but may not sign, new contracts.

The agreement is subject to the approval of the NBA Board of Governors and the membership of the Players Association.

KEY POINTS

The following are the key points agreed to by the NBA and the Players Association in their new 6-year collective bargaining agreement:

# Players will be guaranteed to receive 57 percent of league revenues (BRI), the same percentage paid to players the last two seasons. (This is the first time the league has ever agreed to guarantee the players an agreed-upon percentage of revenues.)

# The Salary Cap will increase from 48 percent of BRI to 51 percent of BRI. All Cap exceptions will remain unchanged, including the Mid-Level Exception ($4.9 million per team this past season).

# The amount of money that can be withheld from player salaries under the “escrow” system will be reduced from 10 percent of salaries in year 1 of the new deal to 9 percent in years 2 through 5 and 8 percent in year 6. The 57 percent escrow level will increase with revenue growth.

# The effect of the existing luxury tax on teams will be reduced and there will be no additional taxes. The tax level will be set at 61percent of league revenues (the same level as in the 2001-02 – 2003-04 seasons). Tax treatment for injured players and minimum salary players will be liberalized.

# The maximum length of a player contract will be reduced by 1 year, from 7 years for a team’s own players and 6 years for other players to 6 years and 5 years.

# The league will guarantee that, on average, all teams will have 14-player rosters.

# The maximum annual increases in multi-year player contracts will be reduced from 12.5 percent for a team’s own players and 10 percent for other players to 10.5 percent and 8 percent.

# Players will be subject to 4 random drug tests per season and penalties for use of performance-enhancing drugs will be increased.

# The age limit for entering the draft will increase from 18 to 19 (plus one year removed from high school).

# Players will have the right to an arbitrator’s review of Commissioner suspensions for on-court misconduct of more than 12 games (currently, no arbitrator review is permitted regardless of the length of the suspension).

# Players in their first two seasons in the league may be placed on teams in the NBA Development League for skills development.

# There will be an increase in the minimum salary and benefits. Pension benefits will be increased subject to IRS approval.

Quote Originally Posted by shags

# The age limit for entering the draft will increase from 18 to 19 (plus one year removed from high school).
    It would appear that Oden isn't eligible after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Knucklehead Warrior
    Someone in another similar thread to this one said he'd be 19, but so far I've not verified a birthdate. I found something that appears to refer to his date of birth as 1/22/88, but it's on a foreign website and I cannot confirm it.
    Ch 13 just said he won't turn 19 until January, 2007 so it looks like your info's correct.

# The league will guarantee that, on average, all teams will have 14-player rosters.

Does that mean 14 players on the roster, not including the IL? So we could have up to 17 players on the roster at one time?

ESPN's Insider said a couple weeks ago that they would make it easier to do trades. It's not mentioned in that article so I'm wondering if that was addressed in the new contract.

I've yet to see anything about the "injured" list being changed to simply inactive. I seem to remember that they agreed on that a while ago. Anybody know?

I've yet to see anything about the "injured" list being changed to simply inactive. I seem to remember that they agreed on that a while ago. Anybody know?

Stern just said 14 active roster players. So I guess that means 3 inactive. and yes they aren't calling it an injured list.

So we don't have to worry about having too many players next year

Jesus Shuttlesworth

Jesus was one of the 6 who called it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Huxtable

Does that mean 14 players on the roster, not including the IL? So we could have up to 17 players on the roster at one time?
    I think it's a minimum of 14 players. It was 11. I'm guessing 12 active, 3 inactive, and however many they're allowed to put on their minor league team.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    Stern just said 14 active roster players. So I guess that means 3 inactive. and yes they aren't calling it an injured list.

So we don't have to worry about having too many players next year
    What?! Um, I don't like that. At all.

What's next, six players on the floor for each team?

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Funny, it's 6 now. Even funnier is one of the 6 is a certain newbie Ray Allen fan.

And Will, for you're extraordinary prescience, here's a cookie.
    heck, it's 10 now