Thread: Bruno QOD: With Artest Returning, is Change Needed?

Default Bruno QOD: With Artest Returning, is Change Needed?

Tuesday, June 21, 2005
    http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/question_050621.html

Q. What is all of this constant talk about the Pacers needing to make a move via trade? To make this short and sweet, am I the only one that remembers that arguably our best player, reigning Defensive Player of the Year and All-Star … the player that can create his own shot, change the game immensely and has incredible intensity on both ends of the court, Ronnie Artest? After looking at how the Pacers did without him, I say ‘why do we need to make a change?’

We are getting that incredible player back to simply add to the mix of last year (minus Reggie), without having to trade anyone at all. All I hear is about what changes need to be made, but we never even had our projected ’04-05 starting five out on the court at the same time this whole season. I suggest drafting a very solid player and let this team stay together, for they must have great chemistry after last season. With those players together, I see a very potent, championship contending team with a little extra ‘chip on their shoulders’. (From Reece in Noblesville, IN)

A. This is a topic of much discussion among fans, because much of the logic is sound. Without question, the return of Artest to a team that was competitive without him last season should make the Pacers significantly better. It also makes the pieces fit more comfortably. As well as he played as a small forward last season, Stephen Jackson's best position is shooting guard, and that's where he'll spend the bulk of his minutes in 2005-06. With Artest, Jackson and Jermaine O'Neal on the floor, the Pacers have three starters capable of averaging 20-plus points over the course of a season.

Though you suggest the chemistry should be good based on last season that logic doesn't necessarily hold for a couple of reasons, one physical and one mental. Because the projected lineup has never played together, it remains to be seen how it will gel, if those starters will develop the necessary symbiotic relationship. And because of the circumstances that led to Artest's absence and the toll that took on the entire team it remains to be seen how, or if, he will fit back in with his teammates.

While both President Larry Bird and Coach Rick Carlisle have talked about the need for change, neither has taken the stance that the nucleus of the team needs to be broken up. Bird's goal is to find ways to improve the supporting cast by addressing the primary areas of need on the roster – namely, depth and playmaking ability at small forward and shooting guard. As solid as the roster appears, the Pacers do have needs and that's what Bird and franchise CEO Donnie Walsh are endeavoring to address.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Who are some examples of SG and SF playmakers who might be available this summer, either via FA or trade?
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Default Re: Bruno QOD: With Artest Returning, is Change Needed?

Devean George is a SF.....

Also, I would guess that is not a mark of confidence in Jackson.... if anyone else. I thought last year he was brought in to replace Reggie eventually, but now it appears we are looking elsewhere.

Outsider

That's not what it says. Jackson IS replacing Reggie as the starting 2. Conrad's talking about the bench. So if anyone is not getting a mark of confidence, it's Fred Jones and James Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by Outsider
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Also, I would guess that is not a mark of confidence in Jackson.... if anyone else. I thought last year he was brought in to replace Reggie eventually, but now it appears we are looking elsewhere.

Outsider
    I think he is considered part of the nucleus.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Outsider

Outsider
    I think that's just a reflection of the fact that Ron and Stephen are known to get "off course".

We really need to have at least three, if not four starting caliber players at the SG and SF positions. So that if Ron or Stephen get distracted again, we can at least field a complete lineup. We can't go into next season without a backup plan like we did this past season. Even most of Ron's biggest supporters (and even most of JJ's biggest supporters) will admit that just having *any* legit SF last season could've made a difference.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    I think that's just a reflection of the fact that Ron and Stephen are known to get "off course".

We really need to have at least three, if not four starting caliber players at the SG and SF positions. So that if Ron or Stephen get distracted again, we can at least field a complete lineup. We can't go into next season without a backup plan like we did this past season. Even most of Ron's biggest supporters (and even most of JJ's biggest supporters) will admit that just having *any* legit SF last season could've made a difference.
    Do you consider Fred starting caliber?

Would you then suggest we don't re-sign JJ, in order to look for better back-up SF talent?
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

I know I'm no Donnie Walsh or Larry Bird, but I thought we were pretty well set at those positions. JJ is a solid backup SF and Freddie is a SG that has "playmaking ability" when he's healthy. That is of course unless Ray Allen was available in a trade. Jax/Cro/#17 might do it!

Aside from that my concern would be upgrading at starting C unless they think Harrison is already the answer.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood
    Do you consider Fred starting caliber?

Would you then suggest we don't re-sign JJ, in order to look for better back-up SF talent?
    I consider both of them to be fine backups. But I think most of us will agree that if either Jones boy is force to start a bunch of games next season that we aren't going to be a championship contender.

I'm neutral on re-signing JJ. Especially if we draft a SG/SF.

I like him, but backup SFs are a dime-a-dozen in the draft (2nd round) and may be much cheaper than what he'll command.

Still, if we draft a true SG, well it depends on how much SJax will slide to SF as to whether he would even have a place in the rotation.

And if we sign this Euro PG, is Fred the odd man out?

Eh, I'd rather draft a post player to backup JO...
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Man, Conrad sure spends a lot of time typing out junk that reads like ... well, junk. Could he be any less insightful or any more transparent?

Everytime I read the QOD, all I can hear is "The Statue of Liberty is kaputt." And that's disconcerting.

All is full of Orange! Mourning's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kraft
    Man, Conrad sure spends a lot of time typing out junk that reads like ... well, junk. Could he be any less insightful or any more transparent?

Everytime I read the QOD, all I can hear is "The Statue of Liberty is kaputt." And that's disconcerting.
    2012 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2011 PD ABA Fantasy Keeper League Champion, sports.ws

2006 PD ABA Fantasy League runner up, sports.ws

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kraft

Not quite fair. Considering we hash this stuff over ad infinitum in the forum, we forget there are people out there for whom this type of answer isn't a given.

If he were going to break some kind of news like "Larry and Donnie have decided to dump Ron for a sack of old potatoes and a FrosteeFreeze" it wouldn't be done in a QOD ...
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

If this is true, just draft Garcia and call it a day.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

foretaz

this team lacks perimeter shooting....jj definitely brings that to the table....if they dont resign him i certainly hope they address that....

Sports Logo

^^^Agreed...the Pacers need a solid 3pt shooting role player to come off the bench to drain a 3pt shot when needed. The only 3-pt shooter that I know of that is a FA this offseason...is Anthony Peeler...but he is getting old. Korver is an option...but probably too expensive.

The Jones boys are very capable backups. JJ can shoot the three, Freddie improved from behind the arc, and I feel very confident about their futures.

Everyone is overanalzying this offseason. If the depth of this team wasn't destroyed over the course of the last several months, everything would be fine. JJ and Fred are young, and tired. Give them a chance - don't bring in an aging veteran.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS
    Not quite fair. Considering we hash this stuff over ad infinitum in the forum, we forget there are people out there for whom this type of answer isn't a given.

If he were going to break some kind of news like "Larry and Donnie have decided to dump Ron for a sack of old potatoes and a FrosteeFreeze" it wouldn't be done in a QOD ...

That is a great, great point. We all need to remember that 90% of the Pacers fans are not really that up on what is going on.

Hello, all. I've never posted here, enjoy reading your lively debates and discussions for the last few months at least. But I felt the need to stick up a little for Conrad - lets not forget that this is a guy who works for the Pacers organization. This guy really can't be any more than transparent and the other adjectives used to describe him. He was a pretty good journalist with the Star a while back, but now I think anyone who reads QOD would be fooling themselves if they didn't see him as anything beyond a mouthpiece and voice for his bosses. He's basically a public relations liason, lets not forget that.