Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paul B makes CBS Sportsline, kind of

Default Paul B makes CBS Sportsline, kind of

http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegebas.../story/8581140

10. Microphone idiots: The Pistons and Pacers, to name two teams, fill down time by handing a microphone to some Generation X bozo who challenges the crowd to make more noise. Make enough noise, and some lucky fan might get a T-shirt! Colleges have cool traditions like the portly Connecticut fan who whips the crowd into a frenzy (UConn! UConn! UConn!) or Kansas' Rock-Chalk-Jayhawk chant. In lieu of traditions, the NBA turns up the volume.

Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Paul B makes CBS Sportsline, kind of

ouch, but hey I still enjoy him being there. I am quite dissappointed on the nights Paul B isn't working.
    House Name: Pacers

House Sigil:

House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

Yeah, I appreciate Paul B at the games.

Me too. I also enjoy talkin to him before the games a lil bit. I'm glad the Pacers have him working games.
    AKA Sactolover05

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I could live without it, but its not Paul B's fault that he's doing the job he's been hired to do.

And that was the point of the little snippet - don't blame the DJ but blame the organizations that apparently don't think all that highly of thier own fans.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I love it. Paul B's the man! He really can get the crowd into it. And, his music selection is good.

Because, he always doesn't just play rap. He will play just about anything.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

I went to a game at conseco before. And if he wasn't there it would be SO DEAD. The crowd seems pretty unlively for a team who "Has the best fans in the NBA"
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I could live without it, but its not Paul B's fault that he's doing the job he's been hired to do.

And that was the point of the little snippet - don't blame the DJ but blame the organizations that apparently don't think all that highly of thier own fans.
    Agreed on both counts.

Paul does do a very good job, though.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

No offense to Paul B.....he is good, but I loved the old tradition where the P's brought in High school bands to play and give it that college feel (This was waaaaay back in the day). I wonder how many fans today got thier first exposure to the P's by being in a band playing at a game? The bands weren't only locals either, they came from all over the state.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    No offense to Paul B.....he is good, but I loved the old tradition where the P's brought in High school bands to play and give it that college feel (This was waaaaay back in the day). I wonder how many fans today got thier first exposure to the P's by being in a band playing at a game? The bands weren't only locals either, they came from all over the state.
    Yeah, if every other game we're stuck with a high school cheerleading squad at halftime, might as well have them bring the band too. Preferably in the same bus (Band geeks like I was need every chance they can get. )

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    Yeah, if every other game we're stuck with a high school cheerleading squad at halftime, might as well have them bring the band too. Preferably in the same bus (Band geeks like I was need every chance they can get. )

dammmm those were the days!

my school was so small that at half time some of the players put on their warm-ups and sat in the stands and performed with the pep band.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

PacerSoul

A band? This is the year 2005. The players also need the music to get themselves more motivated and into games especially in the regular season).

This isn't the 1980's, and hip-hop is the most popular music as well as the other selections he plays so they are excellent selections.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerSoul
    A band? This is the year 2005. The players also need the music to get themselves more motivated and into games especially in the regular season).

This isn't the 1980's, and hip-hop is the most popular music as well as the other selections he plays so they are excellent selections.
    Players need music to get motivated?

The music isn't for the players. It's to help keep the fans entertained.

PacerSoul

Quote Originally Posted by Since86
    Players need music to get motivated?

The music isn't for the players. It's to help keep the fans entertained.
    Wrong, it's for the players to get motivated and to get pumped up in the game as well. THey enjoy music and a lot of the music selections is for them.

Again, the fans like hip-hop too. Especially those sitting in the lower level. Bringing a band is so funny that it sounds like a joke. I'm sure he plays other music than hip hop but hip hop should be the primary music.

Wrong, it's for the players to get motivated and to get pumped up in the game as well. THey enjoy music and a lot of the music selections is for them.

Again, the fans like hip-hop too. Especially those sitting in the lower level. Bringing a band is so funny that it sounds like a joke. I'm sure he plays other music than hip hop but hip hop should be the primary music.

I guess that's why PB starts out with "Let's go Pacer FANS it's time for the 4th quarter.."

The music is just as much for the players, as are the pacemates. They may enjoy them, but they're not for their entertainment. The players are there to PLAY, not listen to music.

According to you, I guess the Emcee's are for their timeout entertainment as well.

I love Paul B. NO ONE SITS FOR A TIP OFF IN INDIANAPOLIS!!

ALRIGHT FANS YOU'VE MADE IT THROUGH 3 QUARTERS, NOW ON YOUR FEET FOR THE 4TH QUAAAAARRRRRRTERRR!!!!!!!!!!!!

also...

7. Set shots: The NBA has gone retro on the perimeter. Jumpers are out. Set shots are in. The 3-point arc is so far, and the defense so apathetic, that NBA players don't bother rising majestically to fire a jumper, Vinnie Johnson-like. Forget that noise. Shawn Marion flicks an unsightly two-hander from his navel. Brent Barry bends his knees and ankles before launching a H-O-R-S-E. Don't forget to call "swish."
    who cares?

PacerSoul

I guess that's why PB starts out with "Let's go Pacer FANS it's time for the 4th quarter.."

The music is just as much for the players, as are the pacemates. They may enjoy them, but they're not for their entertainment. The players are there to PLAY, not listen to music.

According to you, I guess the Emcee's are for their timeout entertainment as well.
    Again, you are saying something you have no experience of. I have experience in that field working for the Celtics and I know for a fact the players make music selections and let the DJ know. It's not really a big deal, but a lot of the selections are specifically for them and a lot of the music is for the fans too. It's mixed but a lot of the fans like music that is popular and are on the charts...not country music or a "band" some have said on here. Again people, we are in the year 2005, get more hip!

Mood

If the players need music to motivate them......... shame on em.

Did you read my post newbie? I said it gave it that college feel. That is what I miss and I think it is what a lot of people miss in the NBA today. It's not a traditional basketball feel, it's more of a Disney production...trying to be like another Orange Bowl half-time show rather than between halves distraction.

But hey, if that's your schtick have at it.

Again, you are saying something you have no experience of. I have experience in that field working for the Celtics and I know for a fact the players make music selections and let the DJ know. It's not really a big deal, but a lot of the selections are specifically for them and a lot of the music is for the fans too. It's mixed but a lot of the fans like music that is popular and are on the charts...not country music or a "band" some have said on here. Again people, we are in the year 2005, get more hip!

I have to have experience to understand what's happening?

This is right off of PB's website in his bio:
    "In addition to the radio, PB is the Official Indiana Pacers DJ, spinning and motivating the CROWD at all Pacer home games inside Conseco Fieldhouse. On a typical night PB entertains 18,000 people at a game. This is a very unique position, as PB is one of only 5 DJs in the world with this type of experience."

So not only do I not have experience, it seems only 4 other people in the world beside Paul does.

He's the same thing as a pep band at a HS or college game. To get the crowd pumped. The players may make recommendations, but to listen to you it would sound like the players approaced management and told them they needed something to get motivated with.

EDIT:

WTF does country have to do with it? Just as many people listen to country as do hip-hop. Maybe the colts would win against NE if they played some TI when they came out instead of ACDC, because hell's bells just isn't hip enough for today's footballer.

PacerSoul

If the players need music to motivate them......... shame on em.

Did you read my post newbie? I said it gave it that college feel. That is what I miss and I think it is what a lot of people miss in the NBA today. It's not a traditional basketball feel, it's more of a Disney production...trying to be like another Orange Bowl half-time show rather than between halves distraction.

But hey, if that's your schtick have at it.
    I don't see it being like a Disney production, I see it having hip-hop music to keep the crowd energized and to keep the players into the game.

Just look at the facts, it has worked. I have been to games where DJ P didn't DJ and to games where he has. Games where he has not, the crowd has been absolutely dead and dull.

This is not directed at you, but I just feel that people find faults in everything and can't be satisfied with anything. If there was a band playing, there would be thousands of dissatisfied customers and a handful of satisfied ones.

PacerSoul

He's the same thing as a pep band at a HS or college game. To get the crowd pumped. The players may make recommendations, but to listen to you it would sound like the players approaced management and told them they needed something to get motivated with.
    That may have exactly happened. The music is for the fans obviously, but they are as much for the players too and the players do decide some selections of the music.

Mood

I don't see it being like a Disney production, I see it having hip-hop music to keep the crowd energized and to keep the players into the game.

Just look at the facts, it has worked. I have been to games where DJ P didn't DJ and to games where he has. Games where he has not, the crowd has been absolutely dead and dull.

This is not directed at you, but I just feel that people find faults in everything and can't be satisfied with anything. If there was a band playing, there would be thousands of dissatisfied customers and a handful of satisfied ones.
    I have no doubt you are correct on that statement. At least partially. I'm not certain there would be thousands of dissatisfied customers in either instance, because in reality I doubt if most fans really give a darn what is going on at half time. If there is entertainment of the floor they'll watch, otherwise they'll get up and go pee or buy another beer, but mostly they'll talk amongst themselves. The half-time may matter more to those that are there on freebies than those that are there as fans of the Pacers.

My original post referred to the tradition the P's used to have which brought in kids from all over the state....AND THEIR PARENTS. It gave it a college atmosphere and yes, the crowd enjoyed it, but mostly...it introduced young people to the Pacers and spread their popularity across the state. It was a marketing tool that served a dual purpose.

Mood

Oh and BTW PacerSOul, a year or so back Paul came on here and asked us what music we wanted to hear at the games and he has added some of it to his repetoire.

Oh and BTW PacerSOul, a year or so back Paul came on here and asked us what music we wanted to hear at the games and he has added some of it to his repetoire.

Bender, is that you?

Mood

Bender, is that you?

No, I only need a doctor about twice a year.