View Poll Results: Will there be a lockout?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, they're just posturing

10 20.00%
  • Yes, but it'll be resolved this summer

29 58.00%
  • Yes, and it will last into the season

11 22.00%

Thread: Granik warns of lockout

Default Granik warns of lockout

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2081405

NBA officials told to prepare for lockout

By Chad Ford
    ESPN.com

Deputy commissioner Russ Granik told members of the NBA's competition committee Monday to prepare for a lockout, four league sources, including two NBA general managers, have told ESPN.com.

League spokesman Tim Frank was more circumspect when confirming Granik's remarks, saying Granik told the committee "to prepare in case of a lockout."

Sources, some at the NBA's pre-draft camp in Chicago, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, are not optimistic that the league and the players' union can reach agreement on a new collective-bargaining agreement before the current contract expires June 30.

The same sources say, however, that any work stoppage will not be a long one.

"There's going to be a lockout," an NBA executive told Ford. "I don't think there's any way we get a deal done any time soon. We're not seeing eye to eye right now. The truth is that players don't really believe a lockout will hurt them in the summer. It won't be until there's a threat of losing that first paycheck that they'll get serious about negotiating again."

While this could be no more than posturing by the NBA, sources on the players' side are quietly conceding the same thing.

"I think they'll lock us out," a source with the NBA Players' Association said. "I think David [Stern] has always wanted to lock us out. I think it's a mistake. They act like they don't have anything to lose, but I think they do. The summer league, free agency, NBA players' playing in the qualifying tournament for the World Championships. The bottom line is that the players want to play. They [the players] offered to extend the current deal until a new one could be put into place. They [the owners] want this, and there's nothing we can do to stop them."

A number of issues currently separate the sides. The biggest is the owners' insistence that guaranteed contracts be considerably shortened. Currently, players can sign for a maximum of six or seven years, depending upon whether the player is signing with a new team (six years) or his current team (seven years). The owners have been trying to get that rolled back to five years.

Three other issues have become sticking points for the players: 1) the owners' proposal to reduce the amount of annual raises in a contract; 2) a "super luxury tax" that would more harshly penalize teams that spend more than a certain predetermined threshold; and 3) the proposed minimum age requirement of 20 years old.

Despite the resignation that a lockout appears inevitable, sources also have expressed optimism that any work stoppage would not be protracted or actually threaten the 2005-06 season.

"I think both sides will take the month of July off," a prominent agent said. "I think we'll head back to the table in August and have something hammered [out] by September. The NBA has no interest in losing revenue and fan support by canceling games. The players have no interest in losing their paychecks. The stakes just aren't high enough right now. But they will be in the fall."
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Default Re: Granik warns of lockout

Couple questions.

Does this mean we should expect more trades around draft night?

What happens to the usual rules about Free Agents? Normally you can negotiate July 1, start signing July 15. If there's a lockout through July, does that mean if it's over say, August 3, that on that day they start negotiating with free agents, and can sign on the 18th? How would it work?

Also, if this extends longer, into October, what happens to training camp and the preseason? If the lockout ended early November or later October, would there still be either of them? What happened in 1999?

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I saw this earlier today.

I expected this all along

I dont expect to see any games missed, but I bet there is no summer league.

I do think we will see a crap load of trades of draft night thought, since teams wont be able to trade during a lockout
    Wow, this was here when I submitted the thread. I guess the board posts the article while you're creating the poll.

I think there will be a lockout of significant length, if only because that means the era of us getting season tickets will be framed by the two lockouts.

I sure wish I could remember how January of '99 went. I was preoccupied by other matters when the lockout ended, so I don't remember how FA's were handled, all I know is it was pretty damn quick.

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    Wait, what?............

What poll?

You posted at 8:52, I posted at 8:55. What are you talking about
    Scroll up.

foretaz

with a lockout our leadership will be really tested...its up to the players then to get together and make sure they re working out....should be a telling time for this team....

hey JO....this is ur time, baby...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    What happens to the usual rules about Free Agents? Normally you can negotiate July 1, start signing July 15. If there's a lockout through July, does that mean if it's over say, August 3, that on that day they start negotiating with free agents, and can sign on the 18th? How would it work?
    This will be negotiated in the Collective Bargaining Agreement, although it will be shortened next year due to the lockout.

To many people saying their will be a lockout after the league and union said before the all star game they were close. I think they are posturing. I think both sides will give a little and reach a last minute agreement.

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think they'll be a lot of "selling" later 1st round draft picks if nothing is resolved at draft day.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

Quote Originally Posted by foretaz
    with a lockout our leadership will be really tested...its up to the players then to get together and make sure they re working out....should be a telling time for this team....

hey JO....this is ur time, baby...
    With Ron and JO I am absolutely not worried that this team will not be working out and organizing their own "trainingscamp" they ar eboth very hard working players in the off-season, and IMO neither will accept anything as an excuse for not practising together, more so; IF it happens then you will see a damn good definition of the team emerge, those who are and those who are not practising together, I think also that LB wouldn't mind finding out (he hinted at that earlier) and those that don't will simply have to find employement elsewhere or it will be found for them.

I actually think it is striking to think back at the lock out and to realize that we were the hot favorite that season as well, well as they say : l'histoire se repete
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

woman without a team

Why did I vote the way I did? Because I'm a vindictive and want the whole league to suffer after what happened to us last year.

No regular season games will be missed, I am 99.99% sure of that. Reason is because the players and owners (unlike in 1998) are not that far apart. The differences can be compromised. In 1998 they had to bargain a whole new structure a whole new system.

If there is a lockout, i'm done with the NBA. Period. I'm tired of this bull****. I'm tired of players being a bunch of pansies. I'm tired of owners jacking up ticket prices (especially aftere a season we just had, then to jack up the prices is crazy). I don't like the style of play, hell, I don't like alot of the players on the Pacers. I'll find something better with my time, something I probably won't get pissed off about in May.
    Sorry, I didn't know advertising was illegal here. Someone call the cops!

Quote Originally Posted by TruWarier
    If there is a lockout, i'm done with the NBA. Period. I'm tired of this bull****. I'm tired of players being a bunch of pansies. I'm tired of owners jacking up ticket prices (especially aftere a season we just had, then to jack up the prices is crazy). I don't like the style of play, hell, I don't like alot of the players on the Pacers. I'll find something better with my time, something I probably won't get pissed off about in May.

OK so if there is a lockout and it starts on July 1st but ends September 15th you'll really just stop watching

In a nutshell...yes.
    Sorry, I didn't know advertising was illegal here. Someone call the cops!

Jesus Shuttlesworth

Jesus was one of the six who called it also!

For the record, pacerscard just voted. And somebody (*cough*rayallen*cough*) voted earlier today.

[edit]Wish there was some way to lock the poll.

Jesus Shuttlesworth

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    For the record, pacerscard just voted. And somebody (*cough*rayallen*cough*) voted earlier today.

[edit]Wish there was some way to lock the poll.
    I didn't vote today.

Well somebody did, because it was originally 5.

Jesus Shuttlesworth

Well nice try blaming me but I havent been on to post since the 19th....cough*maybeitwasoneofyourinternetfriends* cough

hey look I was right.
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Shuttlesworth
    Jesus was one of the six who called it also!
    Six didn't call it, only five. Out of that five I'm the only one that can prove I did. I got a cookie! (grin)

Jesus Shuttlesworth

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen
    Six didn't call it, only five. Out of that five I'm the only one that can prove I did. I got a cookie! (grin)
    I erase my cookies so I guess I can't prove it but I did. I don't really care that nobody believes me.