Thread: Less games during the regular season?

Default Less games during the regular season?

This got me thinking (and I've thought of it before):

Quote Originally Posted by PacerFanAdam
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, the NFL only has 16 games, so each game is a big deal. There is a build up the whole week amongst fans for their teams game. Every game is huge in an NFL season. In the NBA, it doesn't matter if you blow off a couple games here and there, it's a long season. You can't do that in the NFL.

Somehow, the Superbowl has become almost a national holiday. I think it gets huge ratings because it is a reasonable excuse to get together with friends and throw a party. For a lot of people, it's the party, not the game that matters.
    I agree totally that during the NFL regular season, every game feels important as there's just one game every week. Each and every game means a lot, and there's 6 days to buzz about it and get the excitement built up.

I think the NBA could be the same way. 16 games is far too short, but 82 games is quite a lot, too. I wonder if there's a way to split the difference? Reality says no way in hell does this ever happen, but I still want to speculate. I'm just throwing this # out, but what if the regular season was cut in half, to 41 or maybe to round it down, 40 games? Still plenty of time to work through things as a team, but the players will be much fresher, and I'd wager much healthier, all season, and each regular season game suddenly means a lot more, so intensity and fan excitement would both increase substantially.

I'm not trying to look at this from a business perspective, so don't even go there if you can help it; I know that's why this will never happen: $ goes down for the league unless they get creative.

But looking at it from an entertainment and quality of sport perspective, I think it could be a really good thing if handled properly. Build more interest in the game, for the players and the fans.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Less games during the regular season?

The NFL only plays 16 games because thats all the players can physically TAKE. If they could, they'd play a lot more.

The NBA has had an 82 game schedule for 40 years. Lets not screw with league records.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

So you wouldn't do it to avoid screwing with the record books? OK. I can see that.

But looking past that, what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    So you wouldn't do it to avoid screwing with the record books? OK. I can see that.

But looking past that, what do you think?
    If Baseball can play 162 games a year and profit, the NBA can certainly play 82.

Keep in mind, NBA teams get to fill 41 home nights a year. reducing the schedule means taking profit away from a lot of home teams, and they'll lose money.

If you want to reduce the number of games on national TV, I can see that. But reducing the schedule won't make the fans desire the product any more. That's fewer chances to go and see guys like LeBron, Kobe, and Shaq.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

foretaz

why do u think game 7 typically is the highest draw....it s much more meaningfull....the more the game means, the bigger the excitement....much like the game 7 ECF between jordans bulls and the pacers that buck mentioned....if the nfl championship consisted of a best of a best of 3....it wouldnt get the same ratings the superbowl does....if the ncca tourney wasnt one and done....it wouldnt get the ratings....

canyoufeelit

There is something like a 67% injury rate for NFL players, by far the highest of any occupation in the US. Like K said, the reason they only play 16 games is literally because they can't play any more.

PacerNthaDesert

The only thing the NBA could do is maybe only have 5 game series' instead of 7 games through out the playoffs. Generally, I like the 82 game season, it gives me something to do for 8 months.

NBA teams generate almost ALL their profit from playoff games. Normally teams struggle to break even over the regular season. They'd never give those up.

Guys, I'm trying to talk about this from an angle OTHER than money.

I know you said not to take the business response but I just wanted to pointout that not only would the owners not want to lose those home games, but the players wouldn't want to slash their contracts in half either.

As far as excitement goes ... half the games does mean twice the importance of each game ... 2 looks at division foes would kind of suck (one home game a piece) as you wouldn't get much of an indication on how you match up. 1 game per out of conference team would be hard to negotiate (who gets the home game vs who) and would be almost completely devoid of value as to how your team is compared to them. Are we assuming the season takes half the time to complete (calendar wise)?

In the end, the Palace sells out every home game (at the moment) and I love seeing a game every other day or so, so I would be against it as a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Fool
    I know you said not to take the business response but I just wanted to pointout that not only would the owners not want to lose those home games, but the players wouldn't want to slash their contracts in half either.

As far as excitement goes ... half the games does mean twice the importance of each game ... 2 looks at division foes would kind of suck (one home game a piece) as you wouldn't get much of an indication on how you match up. 1 game per out of conference team would be hard to negotiate (who gets the home game vs who) and would be almost completely devoid of value as to how your tam is compared to them. Are we assuming the season takes half the time to complete (calander wise)?

In the end, the Palace sells out every home game (at the moment) and I love seeing a game every other day or so, so I would be against it as a fan.

Exactly. So long as we have fans going to every home game, I'm all for it.

It would suck to see the Pacers play in Detroit only once a year.

Well a shorter season would vastly improve my social life and grades.

foretaz

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat

It would suck to see the Pacers play in Detroit only once a year.

cmon now...u telling me u wouldnt mind losing one less time a year to the pacers?

If you want to look at it from excitement only, you do away with the season all together and go to an all-inclusive tournament.

Each team draws for a spot and the first round is best of 3. Second round is best of 5. Third and fourth rounds are best of 7 or you could use a one and done format.

I would rather be the hammer than the nail

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    NBA teams generate almost ALL their profit from playoff games. Normally teams struggle to break even over the regular season. They'd never give those up.

I know we're not supposed to talk about money. But I want to make one quicjk comment. Kstat, I understand what you're saying and I'm not arguing that teams often need the playofs to turn a profit. But I believe teams get a smaller % of the revenue for their home playoff games in the playoffs than they do for regular season games. (The league takes a larger cut for playoff game revenue) In fact, preseason I believe the teams can keep 100% of the revenue. That is why the Pacers play 4 home games in the preaseason all at conseco.

Hicks without mentioning $$, I think 40 is not enough. I would like to have the same length of season, but no back to back games, so whatever that works out to. I think maybe 60 - 68.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    I know we're not supposed to talk about money. But I want to make one quicjk comment. Kstat, I understand what you're saying and I'm not arguing that teams often need the playofs to turn a profit. But I believe teams get a smaller % of the revenue for their home playoff games in the playoffs than they do for regular season games. (The league takes a larger cut for playoff game revenue) In fact, preseason I believe the teams can keep 100% of the revenue. That is why the Pacers play 4 home games in the preaseason all at conseco.
    Even if that's true, the owners aren't paying the players during the playoffs. Virtually no expenses, hence the higher the profit.

Okay, I'll bite. I would definitely agree with Hicks that each game would truly be more important. Players would be more likely to go all out if they knew that they didn't need to keep something in the tank for the next night's game.
    "If I have the ball, I will shoot it, you have to believe that," - Stephen Jackson

Furthermore, it would mean more time to rest those nagging injuries, so we would get more of a true indication of which team was the better team if all of the guys were healthier and had less wear and tear.
    "If I have the ball, I will shoot it, you have to believe that," - Stephen Jackson

Tim

A shortened schedule will mean more days I have to go without, I need it too much.

Less games would mean either fewer division games (less potential rivalry-type games) or not getting to see every team in the league at least once at home (no Lakers visit to Indy, maybe a Pacers fan in a Western Conference city misses Reggie this year due to scheduling).

The problem is the NBA is in transition and has been since MJ left the Bulls. Yet, they still haven't figured out how to market and appeal to the casual sports fan in the post-MJ NBA. I don't know what the answer is.

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    Ok, im slow.

The players dont get paid during the playoffs?.....

Only if they make the finals. Then the NBA pays the winners a bonus.

Otherwise, every free agent would play for any playoff team they could find.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan
    Ok, im slow.

The players dont get paid during the playoffs?.....

I think he's saying the get paid the same amount for the year even if they don't make the playoffs. They'd get paid their X amound of dollars even if they only played 82 games, as opposed to going to the ECFs or Finals.

I'm not real up to date with contracts, especially in the NBA, but do they lace theirs with incentives like the NFL. A lot of players get paid extra for going so far, like Schilling(I know it's baseball here) got paid like 4mil more to win the WS but got nothing if they lost.

heck no! I for one love going to an NBA game once or twice a week and find it very entertaining from my daily life of working and having the stress of my family. Keep it 82, gives me something to watch.
    "GIMMIE DAT!"-DANGER

Players get paid twice per month during the regular season. They don't get paid during the offseason. They don't get paid during the playoffs. They do get some money for each round of the playoffs , not just the finals.

Since86, there are a lot fewer incentives in NBA contracts compared to the NFL

woman without a team

To me 82 games is too much. After about the 60th game I'm ready for the regular season to be over. I also wouldn't be against getting rid of the first round of the playoffs either.