Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The NBA's new bargaining agreement with the union. No more 18 year olds!

Default Re: The NBA's new bargaining agreement with the union. No more 18 year olds!

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's exactly what I want to know. Why does anyone buy into this other than the fact a black man brought it up? I haven't yet heard from JO, or anyone who agrees with him, any evidence or explanation for why it's a racial matter.
    I think JO was on record as comparing basketball to baseball. Baseball is predominatly white and players can turn pro at very early ages. It is not un heard of to have 16 year olds playing single A ball. I beleive his argument is if they don't have to wait until they are 18 why should basketball?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The NBA's new bargaining agreement with the union. No more 18 year olds!

Quote Originally Posted by MarionDeputy
    I think JO was on record as comparing basketball to baseball. Baseball is predominatly white and players can turn pro at very early ages. It is not un heard of to have 16 year olds playing single A ball. I beleive his argument is if they don't have to wait until they are 18 why should basketball?
    Baseball has a minor league system. The NBA doesn't. In baseball, even the BEST young players don't jump up to the majors until they hit 20.

His issue should be with the NBDL, not the NBA.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

I was dissapointed that there appears to be nothing new about drug testing and as earlier mentioned that there was nothing on how future discipline issues would be handled.

I was dissapointed that there appears to be nothing new about drug testing and as earlier mentioned that there was nothing on how future discipline issues would be handled.

I think basketball is blessed in that steriods aren't useful. They are counter-productive for endurance athletes.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacerSoul
    Give me a break my friend, what 18 year old black basketball star is going to go get a 12 hour a day job? His job is to make the NBA and to make millions to support his family.

The injury argument is very valid because a lot of these kids do not have educational skills and they would not excel in other jobs, all they have known their whole life is basketball. You consider a good job making 60 grand a year, they have worked their whole lives to make millions and imposing an age limit makes blacks from the hood suffer, hence why ballers like Jermaine O'Neal call things how they are.

What percentage of young black males make it to the NBA?

Less than 1%. With that low total number of kids having to wait ONE year longer, how is that punishing the young black youth? One out of (which is a VERY conservative estimate) 10,000 black males are affected by this.

Another twist to the new age limit that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere is how it affects the history of a franchise. Imagine how Cleveland would have felt if instead of being able to draft Lebron they would have probably taken Carmelo or *gulp* Darko and then had to watch Orlando take their hometown hero and franchise saviour the following year. Ouch!

I can hear the "Well if not for the stupid age rule we could've had (fill in the HS stud of your choice)" cries coming. It could've been Oden next year but I guess he'll definitely be in college now because the NBA did the deciding for him.

If Garnett would have had to wait another year, Minny would have most likely been stuck with either "Big Country" Reeves or Damon "Puff, Puff, Give" Stoudamire. Then KG would have been in the same draft class with Iverson and could have gone #1 to Philly meaning AI would be in Toronto!

Quote Originally Posted by Since86
    What percentage of young black males make it to the NBA?

Less than 1%. With that low total number of kids having to wait ONE year longer, how is that punishing the young black youth? One out of (which is a VERY conservative estimate) 10,000 black males are affected by this.
    I was gonna post something similar. The problem isn't the young black athletes who make it - it's the young black athletes who declare out of HS and either go undrafted or get picked in the 2nd rd and don't make it. This will help immensely with that.

Plus if kids know they have to spend at least one year in college they'll be more likely to approach HS that way.

This is something the owners want because of Kwame, Curry, Kandiman, Diop, etc. - another of those, "We know we shouldn't be taking these kids that high and possibly wasting a draft pick but we just can't help ourselves."
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by bread
    Another twist to the new age limit that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere is how it affects the history of a franchise. Imagine how Cleveland would have felt if instead of being able to draft Lebron they would have probably taken Carmelo or *gulp* Darko and then had to watch Orlando take their hometown hero and franchise saviour the following year. Ouch!

I can hear the "Well if not for the stupid age rule we could've had (fill in the HS stud of your choice)" cries coming. It could've been Oden next year but I guess he'll definitely be in college now because the NBA did the deciding for him.

If Garnett would have had to wait another year, Minny would have most likely been stuck with either "Big Country" Reeves or Damon "Puff, Puff, Give" Stoudamire. Then KG would have been in the same draft class with Iverson and could have gone #1 to Philly meaning AI would be in Toronto!
    Obviously the owners are willing to take that risk or they wouldn't have supported Stern on this.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Oden is going to be 19 come draft day, don't worry, besides, he wants to go to college anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder
    Life isn't fair. Get used to it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacerfan2425
    The age limit rule is stupid. But, frankly, I could care less, as long as we have a season this year.
    I agree 100%

I like the age limit rule, but I wish it would've been 20 instead of 19. I don't think 19 will upgrade the quality of the NBA product that much (I think 20 would) and has a better chance of messing up college basketball than anything. There really needs to be a minor league system where players that aren't interested in college, but aren't ready for the NBA, can go play.

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    I think basketball is blessed in that steriods aren't useful. They are counter-productive for endurance athletes.
    I don't know, there seems to be a lot more bulk being added on lately.

PacerSoul

Life isn't fair. Get used to it.

If a kid cannot wait one or two extra years, then he doesn't deserve to be drafted.

Patience is a virtue.

Anyways, it is NOT racial discrimination, so we can drop the race card. It's called experience discrimination which is legal. The NBA is not the government, it is a private entity.
    It is a race issue, don't fool yourselves.

Private entity? Private entity that receives millions of dollars a year to build arenas from the local state government?!?!?

Nerd.
    Mood

It is a race issue, don't fool yourselves.

Private entity? Private entity that receives millions of dollars a year to build arenas from the local state government?!?!?
    Once and for all, it is not racial discrimination.

They are not saying that any black person cannot enter the draft, but white people can.

They are saying you have to be a certain age. That is an experience clause.

Anyways, big f'in deal.

PacerSoul

Once and for all, it is not racial discrimination.

They are not saying that any black person cannot enter the draft, but white people can.

They are saying you have to be a certain age. That is an experience clause.

Anyways, big f'in deal.
    The only problem is the age limit affects young black males living in the ghetto. You have to understand why it becomes racial even if the original intent may not be.

I think that in place of an age limit the NBA should install a minor league system.

At first I was for an age limit but then it's like well what about Lebron James? Players like him who actually are ready to play in the league, Not only that college isn't for everyone. You go there to get an education, not play basketball.

But in a minor league system ovbiously it gives young players who are not college material the oppurtonity to earn a little bit of money while playing ball.

PacerSoul

Quote Originally Posted by rommie
    I think that in place of an age limit the NBA should install a minor league system.

At first I was for an age limit but then it's like well what about Lebron James? Players like him who actually are ready to play in the league, Not only that college isn't for everyone. You go there to get an education, not play basketball.

But in a minor league system ovbiously it gives young players who are not college material the oppurtonity to earn a little bit of money while playing ball.
    I agree. That is some idea we could all live with. A minor league system required to the age of 19.

The only problem is the age limit affects young black males living in the ghetto. You have to understand why it becomes racial even if the original intent may not be.
    An act affecting a race doesn't inherently make it racist. It would be if it was done IN ORDER TO screw a race, but it wasn't, so it's not an issue. That's simply poor logic.

An act affecting a race doesn't inherently make it racist. It would be if it was done IN ORDER TO screw a race, but it wasn't, so it's not an issue. That's simply poor logic.
    Amen.

I'm sorry but why is it that race is always made into an issue? Anytime there is a situation involing whites and blacks the race card is played somehow.

I mean heck I can't read a draft profile on a player and see him being compared to someone of his own race. I remember Luke Ridnour being compared to John Stockton I think on NBAdraft.net and I just don't see the simularities other than those 2 being point guards, oh and there race.

I don't know, there seems to be a lot more bulk being added on lately.
    Zeljiko Rabraca used steroids in Europe. Its caused him a TON of problems in the NBA. His long-term conditioning has takena hit, he's injured all the time, and he's very short on stamina.

Yeah, you can get bigger. But in the long run, it hurts more than helps.

Uh oh.

A 19-year-old age minimum or one year out of high school for entry into the NBA draft. Players who are not 19 by draft night would be ineligible to declare for the draft. Under current rules, American players are eligible for the draft the year their high school class graduates. Foreign players must be 18 by draft night.
    What's that all about?

Uh oh.

What's that all about?
    The NBA can draft euros and leave them overseas. NBA teams aren't REQUIRED to sign a euro right after the draft. Highschool kids dont have that option.

foretaz

Uh oh.

What's that all about?
    thats the current rule...not the new one...

Still, it comes across as picking-and-choosing who the rules apply for. I hate to admit it, but it gives the race crowd something to speak up about.