Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The NBA's new bargaining agreement with the union. No more 18 year olds!

Hybrid View

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default The NBA's new bargaining agreement with the union. No more 18 year olds!

.......but apparently, 19 year olds are still eligibele

NBA close to labor peace; age limit to be 19

By Chad Ford

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2091116

The NBA and its players' association are close to agreeing on a new collective bargaining agreement that would institute a 19-year-old age limit, reduce contract lengths and raise the salary cap, sources close to both negotiating committees told ESPN.com on Monday night.

The potential agreement would run for six years and would allow the two sides to avoid a lockout on July 1.

NBA spokesperson Tim Frank told ESPN that the two negotiating committees were scheduled to meet again on Tuesday morning in New York.

A source close to the NBA negotiating committee and a source close to the players' association negotiation committee claim that all of the major issues between the two sides have been agreed to in principle, and the purpose of Tuesday's meeting is to work out some of the finer points of the agreement that weren't addressed during a lengthy breakthrough negotiation session Friday. Both sources asserted that none of the issues left on the table were major sticking points. If those issues can be worked out in a timely fashion, the two sides would be ready to announce a deal.

Union spokesperson Dan Wasserman declined comment on the story.

If a new agreement is reached soon, the players would have the opportunity to ratify it during a summer meeting on June 28th. It might take several more weeks for the final agreement to get drafted, possibly delaying the start of the free agent period scheduled to start July 1st.

The owners will have won several key concessions from the players, if the current proposal is agreed to, according to sources on both sides.

A 19-year-old age limit would be implemented. Players who are not 19 by draft night would be ineligible to declare. Under current rules, American players are eligible for the draft the year their high school class graduates. Foreign players must be 18 by draft night. The new proposed age limit would bar most, but not all (Amare Stoudemire was already 19 when he was drafted), high school players from entering the draft.

Contract lengths would be reduced one year. Currently, players can sign a fully guaranteed contract for a maximum of seven years if they re-sign with their current team. Players signing with a new team in free agency can sign a six-year deal. Under the new proposal, maxiumum contract lengths would shorten to five years for players signing with new teams and six years for players re-signing with their current team.

Raises in contracts would be reduced. Under the current CBA, players are allowed maximum raises of 12.5 percent per year if they re-sign with their current team and 10 percent if they sign with a different team in free agency. Under the new proposal, raises would be reduced to 10 percent if a player re-signs with his current team and 8 percent if they sign with a different team in free agency.

Teams would pick up an extra option year on rookie contracts. Currently, first-round picks are tied into a league salary scale. When a first-round pick signs a contract, the first three years are guaranteed, with a team option for the fourth year. Players are paid a set amount based on where they were selected in the draft. Under the new proposed rules, first-round picks would get the first two years of their contract guaranteed. The third and fourth years of the contract would be team options.

In return the owners would make the following concessions to the players if the current proposal is ratified:

Total player salaries would be guaranteed. The proposed agreement guarantees that players receive a minimum of 57 percent of basketball-related income (BRI) in the form of salaries each year.

Salary cap would rise. The current CBA bases the salary cap on basketball-related income (BRI). The cap is set at 48 percent of BRI. Last year, that came to $43.87 million. According to sources, the owners would agree to increase that percentage to 51 percent, in effect raising the salary cap. Sources say the cap would, in that case, rise to between $47 and $50 million next season.

Escrow would be reduced and distribution of escrow moneys modified. Currently, players must pay 10 percent of their salaries into an escrow account each season. If, at season's end, the total amount of player salaries exceeds 57 percent of the league's total basketball-related income, that money goes to the owners whose teams stay below the luxury-tax threshold (and a few that fall within a certain "cliff threshold"). If it doesn't exceed 57 percent, the players get their money back. Under the proposed agreement, that number would be slowly fazed down to 8 percent by the end of the agreement.

There is potentially another significant development in this area. Under current rules, the NBA has sole discretion over the use of the escrow money. Currently, it redistributes the cash (and luxury tax revenues) to teams that are under the luxury tax threshold. In essence, Donald Sterling gets a bonus for being cheap. Under the new proposed agreement, distribution rules would be changed so that luxury tax revenues would now be distributed equally among all 30 teams.

No super luxury tax. Owners had been pushing for a "super tax" for teams who exceed the salary cap by more than a certain percentage. They would be penalized $2 for every dollar they were over the tax threshold. However, the owners dropped their demand for a super tax under the newest proposal.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Default Re: The NBA's new bargaining agreement with the union. No more 18 year olds!

Ok, so higher salary cap, and shorter/cheaper max contracts. Sounds like a good deal.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

sweabs

Default Re: The NBA's new bargaining agreement with the union. No more 18 year olds!

Looks pretty good.

Now, let's get hockey back on track...Stevie Y can't go out like this, eh Kstat?

Quote Originally Posted by rcarey
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looks pretty good.

Now, let's get hockey back on track...Stevie Y can't go out like this, eh Kstat?
    I hope Steve Yzerman gets a "farewell" season. He's the most loved current athlete in Detroit, bar none.

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    I hope Steve Yzerman gets a "farewell" season. He's the most loved current athlete in Detroit, bar none.
    I know...God knows he deserves it. I'm a Leafs fan, but grew up wearing the #19 idolizing Stevie. It doesn't matter what NHL team you follow - everyone loves the guy. All of my Wings friends have never watched a game where Yzerman didn't dawn the red and white, with the "C" on his chest.

I like to compare the whole situation to Reggie's this year...and I really hope Steve gets the same kind of farewell that Reggie did.

As for the new agreement, I like the reduced contract signings. I don't see such a big deal with the age limit - kids are still going to come out of high-school at age 19.

No real changes

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    No real changes
    Exactly.

All this means is the highschool kids will do an extra year in highschool.
    Or worse, cause more college freshman to come out after one year.

Escrow would be reduced and distribution of escrow moneys modified. Currently, players must pay 10 percent of their salaries into an escrow account each season. If, at season's end, the total amount of player salaries exceeds 57 percent of the league's total basketball-related income, that money goes to the owners whose teams stay below the luxury-tax threshold (and a few that fall within a certain "cliff threshold"). If it doesn't exceed 57 percent, the players get their money back. Under the proposed agreement, that number would be slowly fazed down to 8 percent by the end of the agreement.
    Can someone give me an explination for this? Thanks

What I don't understand is, if they're guaranteeing the 57%, then what's the point of the escrow. Unless they're moving the number, players are always gonna lose that money.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Damn. I was really hoping for 5/4, not 6/5. But, I shouldn't complain. 4/3 would have been a nightmare.

The age limit is a farce. It's gonna really hurt college basketball. Better to have it the way it is now than a constant revolving door of one-year players. If only Stern had gotten serious about the NBDL 5 years ago, none of this would be necessary.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    Damn. I was really hoping for 5/4, not 6/5. But, I shouldn't complain. 4/3 would have been a nightmare.

The age limit is a farce. It's gonna really hurt college basketball. Better to have it the way it is now than a constant revolving door of one-year players. If only Stern had gotten serious about the NBDL 5 years ago, none of this would be necessary.
    As an SU fan, I don't care. And I think quite a few HS players will find they aren't quite as NBA-ready as they thought, especially big men.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Ford is only talking about the "give and take" of the new agreement, not all the potential changes, right? The rules involving how trades can be made might still be different?

I think this sounds...increase of the cap and lowering of the years is definitely a good thing.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

PacerSoul

Why should players have to be 19? Why can't High School ballers come to the NBA but can go to war? I find this ridiculous. How come no other sports have such things?

Jermaine O'Neal said it, it may have to do with race and culture.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerSoul
    Why should players have to be 19? Why can't High School ballers come to the NBA but can go to war? I find this ridiculous. How come no other sports have such things?
    People "can't" drink until 21, either. Go figure. Of course, this isn't the Government; the NBA can do whatever the hell it wants.

I didn't agree with JO then (to put it mildly), and I still don't. He must know something most of us don't, otherwise I think it's laughable.

It's one of the few things I agree with David Stern on. Teams that pick high school players that aren't ready for the NBA game yet take up a roster spot that a veteran player who is established in the league could use, forcing them to retire sometimes. It's not fair to the veteran or the team/fans. An age limit would help those players not quite ready for the NBA game if they went to college and developed.

Also, if I'm not mistaken the NFL has some sort of age limit.

*edit* horrible grammar/typing

PacerSoul

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Huxtable
    It's one of the few things I agree with David Stern on. Teams that pick high school players that aren't ready for the NBA game yet take up a roster spot that a veteran player who is established in the league could use, forcing them to retire sometimes. It's not fair to the veteran or the team/fans. An age limit would help those players not quite ready for the NBA game if they went to college and developed.

Also, if I'm not mistaken the NFL has some sort of age limit.

*edit* horrible grammar/typing

Football is the only game with an age limit but football is a much more physical sport. There is no age limit to hockey, baseball, etc.

I disagree that an age limit would help. Look at all the Superstars who have developed to players they are today who came from High School (J.O., McGrady, Kobe, Garnett, etc etc etc.). If they went to college, they could have had injuries that effected their NBA game resulting them in being underpaid or even result in career ending injuries. These high school ballers, many of them came from the hood and have played ball since they were young to get out of the ghetto. Why punish them with imposing an age limit?

That is why I say it may be a racial or cultural thing and I agree with Jermaine's sentiment. It may not be politically correct to use the "race card" but it sometimes is the truth. Why all this pressure for an age limit? It's a big issue and the Players Union shouldn't concede.

Nah, it comes down to something that trumps both, money.

Owners don't like paying unproven high schoolers. If most were like King James you wouldn't hear a peep from them.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The age limit rule is stupid. But, frankly, I could care less, as long as we have a season this year.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacerfan2425
    The age limit rule is stupid. But, frankly, I could care less, as long as we have a season this year.
    I agree 100%

I like the age limit rule, but I wish it would've been 20 instead of 19. I don't think 19 will upgrade the quality of the NBA product that much (I think 20 would) and has a better chance of messing up college basketball than anything. There really needs to be a minor league system where players that aren't interested in college, but aren't ready for the NBA, can go play.

Let me get this straight....

NBA vets with a few good years left (mostly black) are going to be able to keep their jobs one more year over raw rookies who aren't as good but will be in the future (mostly black).

Exactly what does race have to do with this?

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    Let me get this straight....

NBA vets with a few good years left (mostly black) are going to be able to keep their jobs one more year over raw rookies who aren't as good but will be in the future (mostly black).

Exactly what does race have to do with this?
    That's exactly what I want to know. Why does anyone buy into this other than the fact a black man brought it up? I haven't yet heard from JO, or anyone who agrees with him, any evidence or explanation for why it's a racial matter.

foretaz

i think it probably has more to do with the fact that only one white high schooler has ever been taken....all the others are blacks....though the league is more black than white, i think the last number i saw was high seventy percentile or something.....so this rule would seem to affect and inordinate amount of blacks....

this is typically the reason given when saying it is racially imbalanced....i think its more about it having a racial impact than it being racially motivated....there is a difference...