Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should the NBA go away from "star" advertising

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Should the NBA go away from "star" advertising

I have no problem with the promotion of "stars." It's when it crosses the line into gameplay (star treatment) that it gets out of control.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One thing I'm confused about. Everyone always says, the league markets so and so. The league pushes players on us. The league does not market teams they market stars.

Besides the "I love this game" commercials which I don't believe have been on for a few years. Aren't the other commercials done by ABC, ESPN, or TNT. Aren't the shoe commecials done by private shoe companies. Who picks the national TV games, isn't that a joint venture between the league and TNT, and ABC/ESPN.

So when everyone says Lebron James is marketed "by the NBA" isn't it Nike, or whatever co wants him in their commercials and isn't it TNT, ABC, ESPN who wants him on TV.
    UB,
    You could very well be right but then that (to me) shows exactly where the NBA is dropping the ball and not running their own ads to counter that. IOW, the shoe company and the fast food joint might push a player upon us BUT the leage should understand that player, while possibly getting more popular, might not make the Finals. He might not even make the playoffs. Therefore, it is imperative that they (NBA) make sure and shine the spotlight on a the teams of the league. They should also do a better job of making sure unbiased officiating comes into play and that the game is understandable (IE: A charge should be a charge and a block should be a block and called as properly as possible and not based on the number of the jersey of a player involved).

They also need to counter the 'star' advertising of 'pushed' stars.... players who haven't really risen to the level of the hype and publicity they are receiving.

And getting some understanding that the "little things" on the court are generally not all that "little" and typically have more of an affect on the games than the windmill 360deg slam that Sportscenter shows over and over. I think many basketball purists already know that. Casual fans, and younger viewers, don't always know that.

They also don't need to turn off basketball purists who see the NBA game as more WWF than actual sporting event. You can't make a team game totally about the stars to the point of giving them special priveledges and not expect some backlash.

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    One thing I'm confused about. Everyone always says, the league markets so and so. The league pushes players on us. The league does not market teams they market stars.

Besides the "I love this game" commercials which I don't believe have been on for a few years. Aren't the other commercials done by ABC, ESPN, or TNT. Aren't the shoe commecials done by private shoe companies. Who picks the national TV games, isn't that a joint venture between the league and TNT, and ABC/ESPN.

So when everyone says Lebron James is marketed "by the NBA" isn't it Nike, or whatever co wants him in their commercials and isn't it TNT, ABC, ESPN who wants him on TV.
    This is a very good point, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to answer it.

Marketing isn't all commercials, it is the way the games and players are presented, commented on, and pushed.

The product companies need the star power, so the star commercials will always exist. Perhaps the better way to state the problem is that the league doesn't do enough to promote the teams in order to overcome the star perception.

There are a lot of ways the league could increase team-oriented promotions and decrease the star perception. These would filter into the way the media promote games.

The object would not be to completely end the popularity of individual players, but to increase the popularity of the game as a whole, so that franchises without stars can prosper.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

I went ahead and fixed your formatting issue.

sc

But it was still Lakers, Celtics, Pistons, etc. Then it became Jordan, Pippen, Etc,etc.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerFanAdam
    You have to go for the stars I believe.

What saved the NBA in the 1980's? It was Larry Bird and Magic Johnson. They were 2 easily marketable stars that attracted the masses. And of course, in the 90's you had the great Michael Jordan, who brought the league ratings.

The ratings for this years finals are awful. Nothing against the Spurs or Pistons, but that's just the way it is. Only true basketball fans care about watching this series. It takes flashy stars, something both of these teams lack, to draw large ratings from "casual" watchers. The ratings for this series should tell you that the NBA should not try to market teams. Just think of how much better they'd be with a Miami-Phoenix matchup. The top 2 MVP vote getters in Nash and Shaquille. 2 of the best young players in the game in Wade in Amare.