Thread: Something in Cuban's blog I strongly agree with.

Default Something in Cuban's blog I strongly agree with.

http://www.blogmaverick.com/

Which leads me to the pre game shows. I don’t want to hear what Mike, Tim, Bill, Steven or Greg think the teams or players should do. I want more information on what they are doing. Why is it that only football pre games or in game analysts talk about plays? Why can’t we get some basketball analysts who break down games and tell us what plays are being run, how the defenses are reacting to them and whats working or not working? Give me something of substance beyond “Duncan has got to show up”. “Joe Dumars told Rasheed to take his shot when they were in the elevator together.”

We have gotten some in game analysis about where certain players like to shoot from… mostly Bruce Bowen and Tim Duncan, and that Chauncey Billups likes to shoot 3s in the 4th quarter, but beyond that it seems like the announcers assume the fans not only know nothing about the game, but they want to keep it that way.

One of the best features, I think in Sports Illustrated is the scouting reports on teams and players. Give us some knowledge from the people who get paid to scout the league. The more we can give insights from insiders rather than listen to what Ben Wallace’s wife told him for the 9th time (it was ok as a fun fact the first time), the more involved fans will be with the game.

Watching the games on TV would be 5x better if they did this. Tell everyone what strategies and plays each team wants to run, what kind of defense they like and how they do it. Use visual representations and video tape of what they're talking about while they talk about it. Break down the game like a scout or coach would. Show us what's really going on. That would be far, far better than "X has to step it up".

Animated diagrams of plays, detailed breakdowns of each teams' philosophies. And I don't mean "they both play hard-nosed D". I mean specifics. Do they play one on one forcing the star to beat them? Do they trap aggressively? How good are they at rotating? Do they try to force the ball to a certain area of the floor? Do they try to force the ball a certain direction on drives? Which way?

Same goes with offense. I'm tired of "they're a slow it down, grind it out team" or "they're a fast-paced, run-and-gun" team. SHOW ME what they run. What they try to do. What do the plays look like. All they'd need is someone explaining it while the picture is something like what you see here on nba.com:

(Click on the picture of the play to see the animation; that animation is what I have in mind)
    http://www.nba.com/step_up/detroit.html

I don't know how else to say it. I would love love LOVE it if this were to happen.

Oh What Could Have Been! fwpacerfan's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Something in Cuban's blog I strongly agree with.

That is why I like Hubie Brown so much as an announcer. He will explain why a play is successful and what the defense needs to do to stop it.
    "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
    - Benjamin Franklin

I agree with him.

But am I wrong that Quinn Buckner does this a lot during the regular season? He uses the telestrator a lot if I recall correctly. It seems to be only games on ESPN and ABC that have announcers for entertainment and not insight into what is going on. I remember when Mike Fratello was still on TNT he told you what was happening a lot, Doug Collins does it too but not as much.

I agree with Cuban 100%. Football is covered so much better it is sickening to me .

Hubie Brown does do a good job of doing what Cuban wants. However, Hubie is slipping, he is getting old, he repeats himself and is no where near as good as he used to be. I've said for years Hubie taught me more about the NBA game than anyone, but if you did not hear Hubie back in the early to mid 90's you cannot appreciate him.

I agree with everything everybody has said.
    I wonder if they don't give us the nuts and bolts because the networks don't think we will respond. Remember this is the same media that dumbs down everything. TNT decided that "points in the paint" and "fastbreak points" were more important to us than rebounds and turnovers. They don't gear their telecasts to the purists, but for its entertainment value. It's a lot easier to talk about and show mrs. wallace, than to dissect a pick and roll. A fastbreak dunk obviously has more entertainment value than illegal screens.

Those of you who watched indycar racing a few years before the split -- remember when they went to interviewing driver's wives and showing shots of them during the race? Same deal here. Perhaps to get women involved in the sport. They can take all those females with the mikes down on the field and stuff 'em too. What a grouchy old man!
    And just for the record, I read a lot more books than I used to and watch a helluva lot less tv. And when the games are on, I turn the sound off, so there!

Agreed 100%.

Another thing that bugs me, say sportscenter asks all the ESPN guys a question they will get arguing and you can't even understand what they are saying, or is it just me? Then there is Stephen A. Smith, he has to talk like the micraphone is 60 feet away or something.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He is amazingly right. I think about that all the time.

I agree. Of course, I've seen conversations here that have brought up the fact that the NBA has the worst "analysts" of any sport. This isn't some revelation.

Not only do I agree with him about this, I HATE all that other crap before games...the hoopla, the singing, the shows, etc. That isn't part of basketball, and it ruins the game.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Agreed, and like more people that play Sports Video Games like NBA and NFL, it's good to know what plays they run to be able to emulate them

I agree it'd be much more infomative but i somehow doubt it's ever going to change as they establishment wants the NBA labeled as Entertainment not Coaching Class's

I agree. I don't want to see the difference in records when Ben has a fro and when he doesn't. Believe it or not, that has nothing to do with the game. I want to see replays of questionable calls, I'm tired of the announcers always agreeing with the refs. I want to see how plays develop. I want to see the little things. I can see the 3 pointers and dunks all day, I want to see how the guy got open for the 3.
    Sorry, I didn't know advertising was illegal here. Someone call the cops!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

See, the problem is that NBA isn't after the hardcore fans any more. They have to water down the telecasts and push 'star' players to get the casual and disinterested fans to watch and spend their money. They might be losing the fans, but they are gaining more viewers in the process, and that is why things aren't goin to change anytime soon...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Quote Originally Posted by naturallystoned
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    See, the problem is that NBA isn't after the hardcore fans any more. They have to water down the telecasts and push 'star' players to get the casual and disinterested fans to watch and spend their money. They might be losing the fans, but they are gaining more viewers in the process, and that is why things aren't goin to change anytime soon...
    The thing is, I believe that if they started doing what's talked about in this thread, and what the NFL generally does during its broadcasts, they would CREATE more hardcore fans by educating casual viewers about the game, in detail. Teach people about the game, and I bet a lot of new people would appreciate the sport more, thus eliminating the need to dilute the product via star advertising.

Of course that speaks for it self, but is it to much hard work for the Establishment... that is the Question, everyone knows if they lower the price of NBA Jumpers they'd sell 10 x More and if they Opened up a NBA Store in my home town it'd be a Massive Boost for the Core Fans.. But I say they won’t, as it's too much hard work...

The Establishment thinks it's easy to keep people in the dark therefore maintaining control over decisions and allowing corrupt dealings to continue, if they make people more educated towards the game they will be more interested in all aspects which will make everything transparent which I don't think Heil Stern Wants

I hope they change there system to make Fringe Fans more dedicated thus eliminating the Band Wagon Trolls and Creating more rivalry and passion for ones team, the NBA should be About Franchises not Star's and one should start promoting Teams and there Success’s rather then Star Names

I think it’s Time for Stern to get voted off but that’s another story

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks
    The thing is, I believe that if they started doing what's talked about in this thread, and what the NFL generally does during its broadcasts, they would CREATE more hardcore fans by educating casual viewers about the game, in detail. Teach people about the game, and I bet a lot of new people would appreciate the sport more, thus eliminating the need to dilute the product via star advertising.
    Oh I agree whole heartedly that the NBA needs to do that exact thing but it's all about the balance of spending money/making money that NBA is failing to see or simply thinks that what they have is the ultimate experience.
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

I believe it was Bob Ryan on Kornheiser was saying that eventually we just need to get the Finals on "the basketball channel", i.e. NBATV. That way you'd have real analysis for the real fans and you wouldn't have to dumb down the product for the masses. As long as they're on the broadcast networks, there will be the constant struggle between ratings and pure basketball.

My problem is, even NBATV doesn't go in depth as far as strategy goes. For 12 hours they repeat their NBA2nite-esque shows, where the only "depth" is stats, and post game interviews in the playoffs. Their talking-head shows are numbnuts like Vecsey saying the same old crap over and over. The closest they get is NBA matchup, which is repeated off ESPN.

Watching games (old and new) is nice, but NBATV doesn't come close to the NFL network when it comes to serious analysis and depth.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    I believe it was Bob Ryan on Kornheiser was saying that eventually we just need to get the Finals on "the basketball channel", i.e. NBATV. That way you'd have real analysis for the real fans and you wouldn't have to dumb down the product for the masses. As long as they're on the broadcast networks, there will be the constant struggle between ratings and pure basketball.

My problem is, even NBATV doesn't go in depth as far as strategy goes. For 12 hours they repeat their NBA2nite-esque shows, where the only "depth" is stats, and post game interviews in the playoffs. Their talking-head shows are numbnuts like Vecsey saying the same old crap over and over. The closest they get is NBA matchup, which is repeated off ESPN.

Watching games (old and new) is nice, but NBATV doesn't come close to the NFL network when it comes to serious analysis and depth.
    I would kill for a retrospective on how the offensive and defensive games have evolved in teh NBA over the last 20 years. You know, like the NFL does every month on the creation of the West Coast Offense and the shift of linebacker responsibilities, defensive back assignments, and the zone defense in response.

NBC used to really cover the NBA very well from about 1991 through 1998. I still remember a three part feature that ran during their pregame shows over the Memorial day weekend (I think it was either 1992 or 1993) it was on the player - coach relationship. They had a tape feature than a round table discussion in the studio for all their games that weekend. It was great, very informative. ESPN, ABC and even TNT they don't do features anymore, they waste their preggame shows on stupid predictions and Bill Walton and entertainment stuff.

TNT I understand why they have gone away from doing features, their show is entertaining enough, but ESPN or ABC needs some help. But features are expensive and it takes a little work. It is much easier and less expnesive to have A yell for 3 minutes