Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Gordon Hayward signs with the Celtics

Default Re: Gordon Hayward signs with the Celtics

They are getting rid of the guys rumored to be traded for PG, it was just a matter of which picks I guess

https://twitter.com/basquiatball/sta...45176053080068
    @WhatTheFFacts: Studies show that sarcasm enhances the ability of the human mind to solve complex problems!

sweepin' down the plains Natston's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://hoopshype.com/salaries/boston_celtics/

Okay...how in the hell was Boston avoiding gutting their team if they wanted George and Hayward???

Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the starting price have been THREE players and picks, or was the combined picks "one" player?
    It would have required a creative gut job...

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/stor...on-hayward-nba

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Pelton
    While Boston can easily get to $26 million in projected cap space by renouncing the rights to current free agents and waiving Tyler Zeller (whose 2017-18 salary is non-guaranteed through July 2), getting all the way to the estimated $29.7 million max salary for Griffin and Hayward will be a little trickier. At minimum, it would require trading guards Demetrius Jackson and Terry Rozier and having Yabusele and Zizic play outside the NBA another season, something they might not be amenable to doing.

Now at the cap after signing Hayward or Griffin, the Celtics would have to match salary to trade for George. That would require including at least one of Avery Bradley or Jae Crowder along with Jaylen Brown and Marcus Smart, or both Bradley and Crowder. (Boston could hypothetically get creative by trading one of these players for a smaller salary before signing Hayward, enabling them to keep Jackson and Rozier and bring over Zizic, as I did with Smart while running the team in the Dunc'd On mock offseason.)

Whatever the exact permutation, the cost of signing a star is that the Celtics would have to give up part of their core in a George trade, mitigating some of the value of bringing him in -- particularly if it's only for one season.

It's hypothetically possible for Boston to renegotiate and extend George even after signing a max free agent, but doing so would require cutting the rest of the roster to the bone. To create sufficient space, the Celtics would either have to trade Al Horford or basically every other rotation player besides Horford and Isaiah Thomas, and even if they could get picks out of those transactions it's hard to see the merit in sacrificing so much depth for a move designed to win now.
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I think KP was supposed to text him every hour, leave constant messages phone messages, camp out in his car in front of Hayward's house ... you know, stalk him. That always turns out well.
    You forgot sending players to hold him hostage until he agrees to sign.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    They are getting rid of the guys rumored to be traded for PG, it was just a matter of which picks I guess

https://twitter.com/basquiatball/sta...45176053080068
    Yeah, we wanted a lottery pick and Ainge wouldn't give us one. We wound up trading with OKC and got 2 lottery picks.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sav For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    A small market team has very few assets over a large market. Donnie Walsh made it clear in his tenure that loyalty to players - even misplaced sometimes - was an important part of the culture, which I will always believe allowed us to keep players who otherwise would have left the team. Showing loyalty to Danny by easing him into a secondary role (especially when we more or less got bupkis in the trade, though that is kind of hindsight) would give us a chip for FAs. Sure, not a huge one, and not a guaranteed win vs. the Big City Lights, but it would be a chip other teams often don't have.

You can't sacrifice the entire team by having all your old broken-down players on long-term expensive contracts, but you can certainly take care of the ones who have been instrumental in success or in drawing fans. Treating the whole thing like a cold hard business with no sentiment in the locker room or the fan base is a mistake - especially with players who have so far played their entire career with the team. There is a little more leeway with guys brought in later.
    Bird is not a people person. That was a weekness. Prichard does not seem to have that weekness.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pta For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sav View Post
    Yeah, we wanted a lottery pick and Ainge wouldn't give us one. We wound up trading with OKC and got 2 lottery picks.
    Im glad someone else thinks of it this way. I like both players potential especially under the circumstances. I also think Kelly Olnyk is a nice rotation big who can stretch the floor and guard the pick n roll well. This isn't going To be easy but I like what Pritchard has done so far.

Im really really sure Ainge was never going to over the good picks and was just stringing the Pacers along. He would have offered less today or the same he did at the draft. It was all BS about Boston, I think.

Lastly I also like the OKC package better than Gary Harris and Trey Lyles and a crappy pick.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Im glad someone else thinks of it this way. I like both players potential especially under the circumstances. I also think Kelly Olnyk is a nice rotation big who can stretch the floor and guard the pick n roll well. This isn't going To be easy but I like what Pritchard has done so far.

Im really really sure Ainge was never going to over the good picks and was just stringing the Pacers along. He would have offered less today or the same he did at the draft. It was all BS about Boston, I think.

Lastly I also like the OKC package better than Gary Harris and Trey Lyles and a crappy pick.
    You're not alone bro...I like what Pritchard has done too. And being in the minority on this board is always a good thing. The only move he's made that I hate is the TJ Leaf pick. The 2nd round picks, A+'s, I like the DC deal, probably going to frame Shams' Monta waived tweet (favorite move) & I like the OKC package a lot as well. It's been a good offseason, just ready for his next move.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to I Love P For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by I Love P View Post
    You're not alone bro...I like what Pritchard has done too. And being in the minority on this board is always a good thing. The only move he's made that I hate is the TJ Leaf pick. The 2nd round picks, A+'s, I like the DC deal, probably going to frame Shams' Monta waived tweet (favorite move) & I like the OKC package a lot as well. It's been a good offseason, just ready for his next move.
    Count me in as well. Pritchard knows what he's doing.
    PACER FAN ON STRIKE!!!-The moment the Pacers fire Larry Bird I will cheer for them again.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DrBadd01 For This Useful Post:

Lurker of the Year Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post

I think Sabonis is going to surprise a lot of people. You may have the PF of the future and I think he's a very good fit with Myles.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Good for him for saying Peyton Manning first.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post: